• 6-9 months

• 9-12 months

• 12-15 months

• 15-18 months

• 18 months-2 years

• More than two years

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I could see that for school age kids. I personally could care less as they aren't my kids, but I could see how people would find that weird as it just isn't the norm here and many things outside the norm are weird to the masses. Fine.

But, what I can't get is your comment that you couldn't imagine nursing your 10 month old. Really? I don't think anyone should nurse a certain amount of time or anything like that, and if you said it any other way I wouldn't have thought twice. Like "It was just too much work", "I went back to work and hated/couldn't/didn't want to pump", "We had a lot of trouble with latch/comfort issues", "I was tired of doing all the feedings but didn't want to pump", whatever. But to say it like it's creepy, weird, or gross to nurse a *baby*, I just don't get that at all. And I think that's the mentality that people are finding offense.

exactly!

Well I apologize I am not trying to offend anyone the OP asked what people's opinions were on breastfeeding and I personally do not think it's good for the child past a certain age.

Actually, the OP had a poll for how long you breastfed. Opinions on breastfeeding were not asked for in the OP.

I don't think people on here mind differing opinions- many different perspectives are represented on this thread. It was that you consider it "horrifying" to nurse a child who isn't even a year old yet.

I think it's upsetting for people to have such a harsh indictment of their child doing something as innocuous as eating.

No one has to breastfeed for any length of time or even at all. It's a personal choice. That's cool. But to come out and say that what others chose to do is essentially gross or weird or strange, when that wasn't the topic of the OP, is going to get you some upset responses.

I could see that for school age kids. I personally could care less as they aren't my kids, but I could see how people would find that weird as it just isn't the norm here and many things outside the norm are weird to the masses. Fine.

But, what I can't get is your comment that you couldn't imagine nursing your 10 month old. Really? I don't think anyone should nurse a certain amount of time or anything like that, and if you said it any other way I wouldn't have thought twice. Like "It was just too much work", "I went back to work and hated/couldn't/didn't want to pump", "We had a lot of trouble with latch/comfort issues", "I was tired of doing all the feedings but didn't want to pump", whatever. But to say it like it's creepy, weird, or gross to nurse a *baby*, I just don't get that at all. And I think that's the mentality that people are finding offense.

I never said that I don't understand why others would nurse their children at 10 months I said I cannot still imagine doing it with my son. The reason I say that is because I had quite a struggle with nursing and I tried to go as long as possible but due to colic and returning toa full time job and not having time to pump I quit. So I would be miserable if I was still nursing him because it took quite a toll on me. But that is my personal decision why I choose not to nurse my child anymore and why I prefer not to at this age.

Where exactly did I say it was wierd gross or creepy to nurse a baby no where in my post was that said or implied. I simply said I could not imagine still doing it becauseI had a tought time with it. I think you are reading into things and implying things that are untrue

Where exactly did I say it was wierd gross or creepy to nurse a baby no where in my post was that said or implied. I simply said I could not imagine still doing it becauseI had a tought time with it. I think you are reading into things and implying things that are untrue

Fortunately, I followed The Rule, so we can see what you actually said before you went back and changed your OP:

I think nursing is great and I did it for several months with my son but it's really horrifying to me that people do it beyond the age of 1. My son is 10 months old not and I cannot imagine still doing it.

No flames please just an opinion. I think it's especially odd for school aged children what an odd and embarassing expereience for them

That very clearly states that you believe nursing a baby past the age of one year - or for 10 months, for that matter - is horrifying.

With my dd, I pumped for 4 mo (never could get her to latch on). I supplemented with formula. After that I said screw this and quit BF.

With my son, it took 10 days of working with him before he caught on and would drink from the tap. I pumped and he got breastmilk in bottles. We BF for one year, then due to his multiple food allergies and FTT we put him on specialty formula (and he's still there 4 yrs later).

Fortunately, I followed The Rule, so we can see what you actually said before you went back and changed your OP:

That very clearly states that you believe nursing a baby past the age of one year - or for 10 months, for that matter - is horrifying.

I'm not sure why you are acting as if caught me in a lie I said in my previous post that I mispoke in my original post in saying a1 year old. I have nothing to hide. If I find it disgusting to nurse a baby then why would I have done so myself. I was at work and typing the original post quickly and mis-typed it.

I have nothing to hide in my OP so please don't act as if you went back and caught me doing something because that is not the case

I actually went back to read your posts from earlier in this thread and I saw that you agreed with another poster that woman cannot have as strong of a bond with their child if they do not breastfeed as mother's who breast feed. I think may women who chose to never nurse may find that quit offensive. The point is everyone has opinions and some people may not like them or agree but they are only opinions. No one's opinions is right or wrong it's just matter of how one person thinks. People should not get offended by others opinions because they are not personal attacks they are just OPINIONS!

Well I see I came in at a good time......:rolleyes1

I answered other, because, as you can see from my signature I have 8 children and each child was different for me. I have exclusively breastfed, exclusively pumped(MANUALLY with one child....:scared1: now THATS dedication right there), pumped and breastfed, breastfed and supplemented with formula and exclusively formula fed. I did what worked best for me and the baby at the time, and I dont regret that. Doing whats best for you, IS the best choice.

With all that being said, I am one who doesnt like breastfeeding. Not on others, mind you, but on myself I never was a fan, except when they were newborns. I should add, I find breastfeeding beautiful & I've always felt a twinge of jealousy over mothers who love it, because I sure as sugar never did. I cant say why, really. I do have sensitive nipples, so something sucking on one is like nails on a chalkboard for me:eek: (my poor husband, I know:sad2:) I'm sure that has something to do with it. But I definitely agree moms should be encouraged to go with what feels best for them and not everyone else.

I actually went back to read your posts from earlier in this thread and I saw that you agreed with another poster that woman cannot have as strong of a bond with their child if they do not breastfeed as mother's who breast feed. I think may women who chose to never nurse may find that quit offensive.

Yes, I would absolutely find this offensive. I was going to mention it in my other post, but didnt.....but honestly, I see/feel no difference between my breastfed and non breastfed children. Intelligence wise, health wise....and certainly not bonding wise. I dont feel more connected to my breastfed children. I feel connected to ALL of them because I am their mother, because regardless of what and how it was fed to them, I still got up with them in the middle of the night to feed them, comfort them and care for them. I feel connected to them because their smiles and giggles are infectious, and because I have kissed boo boos and wiped tears. I'm connected to them because they are my babies :cloud9: I would be sad if someone thought that would be any less because I hadnt breastfed.

My wife breastfed DS(6) for 15 months and DS(3) for 7 months. The only reason she didn't do the youngest longer was that he bit her and she got infected and stopped producing. We wanted to go as long as possible because we believe the longer the better for the child. My oldest is very healthy. The youngest has had a couple sets of ear tubes, has had his anoides removed and has asthma. So is breastfeeding and how long you do it better for the child? I don't know. I just look at my 2 boys and the healthier one breastfeed for 9 months longer....

I actually went back to read your posts from earlier in this thread and I saw that you agreed with another poster that woman cannot have as strong of a bond with their child if they do not breastfeed as mother's who breast feed. I think may women who chose to never nurse may find that quit offensive. The point is everyone has opinions and some people may not like them or agree but they are only opinions. No one's opinions is right or wrong it's just matter of how one person thinks. People should not get offended by others opinions because they are not personal attacks they are just OPINIONS!

What are you talking about?! I never said that. My oldest was 100% formula fed from the time he was 2ish months until he was a year old. Why on earth would I say that I'm not as bonded to him as my other kids?

I never said that I don't understand why others would nurse their children at 10 months I said I cannot still imagine doing it with my son. The reason I say that is because I had quite a struggle with nursing and I tried to go as long as possible but due to colic and returning toa full time job and not having time to pump I quit. So I would be miserable if I was still nursing him because it took quite a toll on me. But that is my personal decision why I choose not to nurse my child anymore and why I prefer not to at this age.

You mentioned nothing of struggles. What you said is something like you couldn't believe anyone would nurse a baby past a year and could never imagine nursing your 10 month old. NOTHING about having a hard time. Like I said, that is totally different. Or even if someone says "Wow, I tried, nursing just wasn't for me" or "I didn't even consider nursing as I knew it wasn't something I wanted to do". Totally different than saying it's horrifying to do it beyond a year/with a 10 month old.

I think nursing is great and I did it for several months with my son but it's really horrifying to me that people continue it with school age children. My son is 10 months old not and I cannot imagine still doing it.

No flames please just an opinion. I think it's especially odd for school aged children what an odd and embarassing expereience for them

LOL..How in the world could nursing a baby under one year be horrifying. Of coarse you will get flames, that statement asks for it. The WHO as well as many, many studies show there are extreme benefits to "extended" nursing to mother and baby. Fine if you choose its not for you, but horrifying, really? Most children that are nursed for extensive periods of time will not think it strange at all if that is all they know. Sorry but grow up, nursing is what ****s are for, its not horrifying or embarrassing!~:surfweb:

I went back and re-read every single one of my posts in this thread. Not once did I ever say or agree with anyone who said that ff'ing moms are less bonded to their kids than bf'ing moms.

and here are all the examples of posts I made in SUPPORT of formula feeding.

Exactly!!

And all of you moms who have been made to feel bad about not breastfeeding - do yourselves a favor and go check out http://fearlessformulafeeder.blogspot.com/ It's an awesome blog and a safe place to talk about your feeding experiences without fear of being judged or attacked.

I really despise the bf'ing vs. ff'ing wars. My oldest was only bf'd for a couple of months and he's just as happy and healthy as the other two who were/are bf'd.

Yes, breast milk is the best, but that doesn't make formula bad!

Yeah, I've definitely been on all sides of the infant feeding issue - my oldest was exclusively formula fed from 2 months - 1 year. My middle was exclusively breastfed for 3 years (with the addition of solid foods, obviously), and my youngest is 1 year and I had to supplement with formula via a Supplemental Nursing System for the first 3 months of his life because of severe latch issues. He has breastfed exclusively ever since and we will continue to do so until he self weans.

So, though I feel that breastfeeding is absolutely, 100% the best choice for me - I refuse to pass judgement on anyone else for their feeding choices. There are so very many things that go into the decision to breastfeed or not - and sometimes it's not even a decision that we get to make, but is thrust on us because of circumstance. And there are so, so many emotions that are tied into that decision. It's a shame that so many women feel the need to put each other down simply because of how they feed their babies.*

*Not that I've seen any of that in this thread, just that I've seen so much of it all over the internet.

My best friend is a live and die by the clock scheduler, too and that combined with latch and weight gain issues, made breastfeeding a nightmare for her. She made it to 4 months with her first daughter, but she was in the pits of PPD and now can't even really remember her first daughters babyhood. :( With her second, she went straight to formula and has been a much healthier, happier mommy.

Like I said earlier, all things being equal - breastfeeding is best, but things are not always equal and you have to look at the health - both mental and physical - of mom and baby. Sometimes breastfeeding just isn't going to work, and that's ok!

p.s. I am the exact opposite - schedules stress.me.out. and that made formula feeding my first child very difficult. I was the worst FFing mom ever! lol

The 4 "Quay"balleros;41937076 said:
My wife breastfed DS(6) for 15 months and DS(3) for 7 months. The only reason she didn't do the youngest longer was that he bit her and she got infected and stopped producing. We wanted to go as long as possible because we believe the longer the better for the child. My oldest is very healthy. The youngest has had a couple sets of ear tubes, has had his anoides removed and has asthma. So is breastfeeding and how long you do it better for the child? I don't know. I just look at my 2 boys and the healthier one breastfeed for 9 months longer....

I understand your wife's pain. My DD had a full set of 8 teeth by 7 1/2 months and she loved to use me as a chew toy. It took quite a bit of teaching her, but she finally got it. I will admit, there came a point that I would cringe in fear every time I latched her on. My own little vampire.

I understand your wife's pain. My DD had a full set of 8 teeth by 7 1/2 months and she loved to use me as a chew toy. It took quite a bit of teaching her, but she finally got it. I will admit, there came a point that I would cringe in fear every time I latched her on. My own little vampire.

Same here! All of mine had 8 or 9 teeth by 7-8 months. Fortunately, only one of them - my daughter - was a biter. At 4 months old she bit me so hard that I instinctively jerked back, but she didn't let go and her teeth ripped through my flesh. It was AWFUL! And she absolutely refused a bottle, so I had to keep nursing her while the wound healed (which took weeks). Ugh! I've given birth (at home) to both 10lbs 4oz and a 9lbs 8oz babies and that bite was way, way more painful! lol

I went back and re-read every single one of my posts in this thread. Not once did I ever say or agree with anyone who said that ff'ing moms are less bonded to their kids than bf'ing moms.

and here are all the examples of posts I made in SUPPORT of formula feeding.

I am sorry I will not continue to argue with you that is not what these boards are about. And this has gotten way off topic I am sure people are not coming to this post to watch us argue.

I said in my post that I find breastfeeding horrifying for school age children, 5 and above. I have no problems with anyone nursing before that point. I tried it myself although it did not work well. I have stated several times that my original post was a typo and I seem to still be getting grief for a typing mistake so if people want to flame me for a typo go right ahead. But I never meant to say that nursing a baby under one was bad as I did it myself, so that makes absolutely no sense. For the records to be clear I have no problem with nursing children up until they are in a school setting aroundage 5. So please stop making comments that I do have a problem with nursing a 1 year old, that again was a typo.

First DD, I only nursed for about a month. I screwed up in the hospital and didn't think she was getting much so I was also giving her formula so she was constantly hungry when I gave her breast milk. We went to formula after a month.

2nd DD~ We were living in Germany and I had a great LC who helped out loads. She nursed happily for 2 years until I decided that when she could ask for it or lift up my shirt for it, it was time to cut her off.

3rd DD is just now getting the idea that we are done with nursing...she's going to be 3 in November. She also was a great nurser and only bit me once or twice. My crying out in pain made her stop the biting though.

I nursed my ODS for 7 months then introduced formula, DD for 10 months, and for this LO, he is almost 4 months, but he got formula at 4 days. He is just a super eater and I still don't produce enough milk for him. He gets about 2 formula bottles a day and I nurse him for the other feedings.

The 4 "Quay"balleros;41937076 said:

Trust me, the oldest is always the healthiest! Dd14 was never sick when she was little, but dd8 and ds8 were ALWAYS sick as babies and toddlers (and have asthma). The older kid/kids bring home the germs. However, they were my healthiest kindergartener's, because the had had all of the normal childhood illnesses (fifths disease, coxsackie, roseola, numerous colds, stomach viruses, ear infections, strep, bronchitois, etc), and had an awesome immune system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter