• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you call for a Minnie Van ride?

I drive for Uber and Lyft. I can't tell you how many times people have jumped in my car and don't understand how it works. Sometimes they want to hand me their credit card or their phone and tell me to make it happen. I'm sure this kind of thing is going to be VERY common as people become frustrated with the complimentary transportation and hop in a MinnieVan not knowing how it works. I'm guessing these cast members will be dealing with many guests who can't fathom why they can't use MDE, a MagicBand, room charge, cash or card. I understand what they are doing, but many people will not.
Agree. I only drive part time and I still get about one brand new user a week, and there is a bit of a learning curve. Young people get it right away because they live on their phones and have an app for everything. Middle-aged people, not so much -- and it gets especially complicated when the app is acting up a little, or the rider has to make a choice between vehicle platforms.

But once you use either app a time or two, it's really easy. I'm not too concerned about people mastering the app.

The bigger challenge, IMHO, is going to be managing the fleet to provide quick pickups. At any one time, I'm guessing there are hundreds of Uber/Lyft vehicles at various locations onsite at WDW. That coverage and availability will be hard to match.

I don't know what you're paying for a taxi, but it's usually $20 or more with tip everywhere on WDW property - and I hear the Minnie van drivers are not tipped. I'm not sure if that is true. Uber/Lyft still cheaper though.

I don't know what you're paying for a taxi, but it's usually $20 or more with tip everywhere on WDW property - and I hear the Minnie van drivers are not tipped. I'm not sure if that is true. Uber/Lyft still cheaper though.
You do not pay a tip to Minnie Van drivers
And we had several Lyft rides that ran $14, with tip, in June, and that's for standard size vehicles. If you consider that Minnie Vans are equal to Lyft Plus (or Uber XL) $20 is not out of line at all.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of no-tipping, as long as the employee is being compensated properly for their work.

Since the Minnie Vans are arranged through the Lyft app, does anyone know if you still have a choice between Lyft and Minnie Van when riding with the WDW property? Or will you be required to use Minnie Van?

I'm all for Disney trying to monetize an area that other companies have capitalized on, but what a ridiculous ripoff. I honestly don't understand how this program can survive charging $20 per ride, when most Uber or Lyft trips cost half of that or even less. I get it: There are people out there who will always choose the Disney-owned option because it seems safe or seems easy or seems comfortable. That's there prerogative. I value my time and my money. Disney doesn't care much about either.

As long as we still have a choice to use a third-party service like Lyft, I don't mind that Disney is trying out new things either. I'm sure it has crossed someone's mind (at least a scenario) where you'll open the Lyft app, select a destination within Disney property, and they won't give you a choice.

Since the Minnie Vans are arranged through the Lyft app, does anyone know if you still have a choice between Lyft and Minnie Van when riding with the WDW property? Or will you be required to use Minnie Van?
This is just a guess, but I don't think Lyft would agree to something like that. They do some interesting things, but I don't think they are that crazy.

My expectation is that, for an onsite destination, the Minnie-van will be shown as an option along with Line (if they have it in Orlando), Lyft, Plus, Premier...whatever services Lyft offers. For offsite destinations, obviously the Minnie-van would not be one of the choices.

I'm sure all this will become clear once the service finally gets up and running.

I'm a fan of no-tipping, as long as the employee is being compensated properly for their work.

You will have a choice. Minnie Van is not the only option on property

Just back from staying at Boardwalk. I was told that the Minnie Vans were not running while we were there. I had seen them driving around, though, and even in front of BWI. So I asked a CM in front of the resort. She was rather grumpy and seemed annoyed I was curious about the Minnie Vans. She told me they were just ending a trial that afternoon and didn't have an official launch date yet. We had really wanted to try it out. I asked if we could since I'd just been told that they were on their very last day of their trial runs, but she told me I couldn't. There were none available apparently. I said we could wait until one was available, but she told me there wouldn't be one available. She seemed to really not want us in a Minnie Van, lol. So we took a bus instead. Disappointing and not as much as a Minnie Van, but hopefully we'll get to try one on our trip this fall!

Just back from staying at Boardwalk. I was told that the Minnie Vans were not running while we were there. I had seen them driving around, though, and even in front of BWI. So I asked a CM in front of the resort. She was rather grumpy and seemed annoyed I was curious about the Minnie Vans. She told me they were just ending a trial that afternoon and didn't have an official launch date yet. We had really wanted to try it out. I asked if we could since I'd just been told that they were on their very last day of their trial runs, but she told me I couldn't. There were none available apparently. I said we could wait until one was available, but she told me there wouldn't be one available. She seemed to really not want us in a Minnie Van, lol. So we took a bus instead. Disappointing and not as much as a Minnie Van, but hopefully we'll get to try one on our trip this fall!
These are not the vans you are looking for.

I was in an Uber last week that didn't even have its side mirrors attached to the car:

20170727_134751.jpg

20170727_134801.jpg

Yes, I reported this to Uber and the DMV. This is not the first Uber I've seen where the car is basically falling apart and smells like feet.

So much for regulations.

And no, there isn't any customer service. You can't even speak to a human unless you've been in an accident.

I'm sticking to Mears from now on.

I was in an Uber last week that didn't even have its side mirrors attached to the car:

20170727_134751.jpg

20170727_134801.jpg

Yes, I reported this to Uber and the DMV. This is not the first Uber I've seen where the car is basically falling apart and smells like feet.

So much for regulations.

And no, there isn't any customer service. You can't even speak to a human unless you've been in an accident.

I'm sticking to Mears from now on.
What does this have to do with a Minnie Van?

What does this have to do with a Minnie Van?

Not that I have to answer to you, but for someone who has the most posts in this thread I thought you of all people would know that there was a discussion about the pricing and safety of Uber/Lyft/Mears and oh yeah, the Minnie vans.

Not that I have to answer to you, but for someone who has the most posts in this thread I thought you of all people would know that there was a discussion about the pricing and safety of Uber/Lyft/Mears and oh yeah, the Minnie vans.
This thread was supposed to be for Minnie Vans. It did get off track but had tried to get it back on to Minnie Vans

Maybe put your post where it's more applicable, the Uber Lyft thread?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter