How do you call for a Minnie Van ride?

The problem I see with adding this to the MDE app is, well, programming. IT can't get the existing stuff to work satisfactorily. Do you trust them to create their own problem-free app for the Minnie Vans?
There is also a legal consideration.

Disney's new service is a ridesharing type service. By state law, those rides must be "pre-arranged" through a "Transportation Networking Company" system. So Disney had to either create their own system -- or use an existing system.

IF the Lyft app rumor is true, they obviously worked out a fee arrangement with Lyft which will be beneficial to both companies. For Disney, at least temporarily, it saves them the expense and delay of creating their own new system.

You're right, taxi fares are definitely NOT competitive. They are set and maintained by a pay-for-play system which enriches politicians and taxi company owners (NOT drivers). The number of taxis is kept small (Miami, with a population of 3 million, has less than 2,000 taxi medallions) to prohibit competition. That's good for the taxi company owners; not so much for the consumer.

That's why taxi fares are 2-3 x Uber/Lyft fares in Orlando -- and it's also why the Florida Legislature took regulation of rideshares away from corrupt local politicians.
I'm not sure there is a more corrupt industry than the taxi industry. Maybe the towing industry. Here we had 1 company for both until very recently. Oddly (or not) the owners of each were also members of our city council. Coincidence? You tell me

I'm not sure there is a more corrupt industry than the taxi industry. Maybe the towing industry. Here we had 1 company for both until very recently. Oddly (or not) the owners of each were also members of our city council. Coincidence? You tell me
Pure coincidence. Just benevolent businessmen who wanted to give back to their communities and do the unglamorous job of governing.

• a standard taxi rate that is NOT competitive - it's equitable to all the other drivers also on the road. Everybody charges what everybody else charges - so no "Uber Power Hours" or whatever that is when Uber Home Office decides that rates are cheaper or whatever.
Non-regulated taxi services have what going for them, exactly? YMMV!

Despite standard taxi rates, no taxi driver has ever been able to tell me exactly how much I would have to pay before I get to my destination. And there is nothing stopping taxi companies from making their rates competitive with rideshare services. The cost should be about what is fair or competitive from the consumer's standpoint, not the businesses. I also have never been able to review my taxi driver before so others know what kind of service they provide.

Disney's new service is a ridesharing type service. By state law, those rides must be "pre-arranged" through a "Transportation Networking Company" system. So Disney had to either create their own system -- or use an existing system.
That's debatable. Disney's lawyers might have decided the service is covered by the law, but it would really be stretching the definitions in the law to their limits. It clearly is not the type of service that the legislature was intending to regulate.

have a problem with ANY business model that looks at its competition, and thinks, "I have a way to get around regulations and laws to beat my competition!"
Isn't that what Magical Express did?
Despite standard taxi rates, no taxi driver has ever been able to tell me exactly how much I would have to pay before I get to my destination.
My city has taxi zones instead of metered fares, so yes, I can know the local fare when I call for the cab. I just checked RideGuru for some fares, and given the taxi pricing here, Lyft/Über cost about the same as cabs where I need to go.

If you are using the car seats it only seats 5.
It actually will still seat 6. The car seats are installed in the second row of seats. In the vehicle that Disney has chosen for the Minnie Vans, the second row has two captain's seats, so it still seats 6 in the same way it would without using the car seats. 3 in the back row, 2 in captain's seats, 1 in the passenger seat in front.

Edit: I just looked at the photos again, and I can only find it with one car seat installed (which is in a captain's chair). It would make sense to put the other one in the other captain's seat, but f they chose to put the other in the back, the safest place is in the middle. So it would still leave room for two people, one on either side.

We are headed to Disney in 3 short days and will be trying out the Minnie Van, and I'll ask the CM where the car seats go when they're installed!

Last edited:

I certainly hope the service is expanded or fully released by my next trip in December. I'd love to be able to get a ride exactly when I need it on our last day when we need to get back to the resort by a specific time.

I am considering using the Minnie van to go from mk to ttc after fireworks Thanksgiving week. Any observations?

Of course nobody knows how well this would work. Why would you do a van for MK to TTC when you could just get on the monorail or ferry? And how long a wait would you have for a MinnieVan at that time?

I am considering using the Minnie van to go from mk to ttc after fireworks Thanksgiving week. Any observations?
You are asking for info about a service that hasn't even started yet for info during a time that is very busy. No one is going to have any insight at all. No one even knows how many vehicles they have

Observation: I appreciate you are hoping to avoid the mad rush to TTC, I doubt it would speed you up much, assuming that you could get the Minnie Van. The roadways can be clogged after fireworks. Things move slowly on a lot of nights. And so many people are trying to do the same thing.

My observation and best guess is you are just as well off to use standard transportation options. If you want to take an active role, perhaps walk to Contemporary and monorail from there (which won't save time, but you might feel less trapped by the crowds for a few minutes. But you will be dealing with full monorail cars then too).

Our family car is a Chevy Traverse and it's definitely an SUV so I'm chuckling at calling these vehicles vans. Our Traverse has a bench seat instead of the two bucket seats for the second row, but I can vouch that the Traverse can sit 6 adults comfortably. We've taken 6 adults and sometimes 8 adults in our Traverse; we think it's roomy which is the main reason we bought it. I do think it may be difficult to transfer luggage if utilizing the third row. Does anyone know if we need to tip if utilizing this service?

Our family car is a Chevy Traverse and it's definitely an SUV so I'm chuckling at calling these vehicles vans. Our Traverse has a bench seat instead of the two bucket seats for the second row, but I can vouch that the Traverse can sit 6 adults comfortably. We've taken 6 adults and sometimes 8 adults in our Traverse; we think it's roomy which is the main reason we bought it. I do think it may be difficult to transfer luggage if utilizing the third row. Does anyone know if we need to tip if utilizing this service?
They have stated that you do not tip

The configuration that Disney is using will carry 6 adults (+ driver) comfortably enough for trips across WDW. We're not talking long trips here.

Carrying six passengers , there is still some room behind the third row. There is room enough for several backpacks, a wheelchair (although it would bang around a bit), etc. People aren't going to be carrying "luggage" for a day at the parks.

With fewer than six passengers, one or both of the rear seats can be folded down for a great deal of additional cargo space. So if a couple were moving from one resort to another and wanted to use the Minnie-Traverse, they would have room for all their luggage...although it would be much easier to just have Disney transfer the luggage while they're at the parks.

Carrying six passengers , there is still some room behind the third row. There is room enough for several backpacks, a wheelchair (although it would bang around a bit), etc. People aren't going to be carrying "luggage" for a day at the parks.
Don't forget there may be 2 child car seats stored back there. I saw a picture somewhere with the hatch open and it looked like the car seats took up most of the cargo area.

Does anyone know where the Minnie van will drop off and pick up.from Disney Springs?
I don't believe I've seen any reports yet. The current taxi/Uber/Lyft drop off spot is the old bus stop. I bet that's where they'll use. I can't imagine they'll send the cars to the existing bus stop since that's so crowded but they could. I'm sure that info will be included in the documentation when the service officially begins

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter