• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Horrible Experiences with WDW buses last week!

I don't think you would be considered rude if you offered your seat to a mom with young kids, older person, disabled person, etc. Its those who make absolutely no effort to give up a seat, while they see someone else struggling to stand and ride the "wave". ;)

This is so scary to read. My husband is disabled. His back is broken in 4 places, as is his neck. He uses an ECV, and walks a tiny bit for exercise. We are going to be a grand gathering in January, and will have 2 people in ECV's at that time. I just know that my husband will throw a fit if something like this happens :(.

aubriee, I'm sorry - I tried my best. But although many of us have posted well reasoned replies over the Transportation Board, and have directed readers to this thread multiple times, we apparently cannot change the narrow viewpoint and misunderstanding that some readers seem to have about this topic.

I am at a loss as to how to explain to people something that they just do not want to hear or see. I honestly hope that they will never have to experience first hand what you and your mother experienced (along with many other posters here).

Again, I'm sorry that you had to experience this, and I am sorry that we cannot seem to have much impact on the misperceptions that some people have in regards to this topic.

I have preconceived ideas about busses in general and at WDW. I have been left out on the curb by RTD in Los Angeles several times.

1. I must be in the proper spot for ECV/wheelchair loading. I cannot expect to be loaded if I am in the restroom, on my cell phone, in the wrong zone or some rolling up as the bus is loading.

2. Is there room for my ECV/wheelchair. They cannot put the ECV/wheelchair on a bus full of standing people who cannot even turn around nor on a bus with both wheelchair spots taken.

3. Is the bus working like oh there is one ECV on board so it must be working.

Those are my conceived ideas about busses. If I answer yes to all three questions then I should be boarded first for safety reasons. The driver should not let people onto the bus until I am safely parked as I would hate to pinch fingers or run over little kids. I expect to have the standard Disney CM provided interactions like courtesy, patience and obeying rules. I expect the CM to do their job even if it is a pain in the rump to put down ramps on boats, operating lifts, or waiting for a slow moving guest. I expect the CM not to grumble because I am fat and look like I set on my rump all day eating donuts, coffeecakes, tubs of ice cream, fatty steaks and kilos of candy. I expect the CM to not grumble about loading me or having to provide special services that Disney offers disabled guests.

Most of the posters on the thread seem to feel the way I do. I hope my expectations are not too high or are they? I do find it unsettling when people repeatedly are having problems with one featured of WDW especially one that is highly touted in Disney advertising and sites.

I now return the soap box and hope someone in transportation will listen.

aubriee, I'm sorry - I tried my best. But although many of us have posted well reasoned replies over the Transportation Board, and have directed readers to this thread multiple times, we apparently cannot change the narrow viewpoint and misunderstanding that some readers seem to have about this topic.

I am at a loss as to how to explain to people something that they just do not want to hear or see. I honestly hope that they will never have to experience first hand what you and your mother experienced (along with many other posters here).

Again, I'm sorry that you had to experience this, and I am sorry that we cannot seem to have much impact on the misperceptions that some people have in regards to this topic.

Thanks, so much for this post. I really appreciate it. Maybe, because I go to WDW solo several times a year, with other family members, and also with my mom, who uses an ECV down there, I am able to see both sides. I have been the person who has waited 30 minutes or more for a bus, then see an ECV user with a huge family gathering rushing up just as the bus pulls up and they get most of the seats, while the rest of us either stand or can't even get on the bus, I have seen and heard how some guests mutter under their breaths when they see an ECV at the stop, and this past trip I was in the position to see the injustice and bias against ECV users first hand when we were repeatedly denied boarding for no other reason than the drivers did not want to deal with an ECV. Don't get me wrong we also had some very good, friendly drivers too. My mom still says she is never going back to WDW and as much as I love WDW at Christmas I am not making my usual Dec trip this year either. I still haven't made a reservation for my usual Flower Festival trip in May either. I just can't seem to get excited about Disney right now.

Ok, well, I have the ability to do live streaming from my cell phone, so watch for our pretrip report a little close to the trip, but if all goes well the link will be http://www.qik.com/cmwade77

I mostly intend to use the live stuff for more fun things, but if it becomes necessary, I will use it for the busses as well, so bus drivers beware, you may potentially have millions of viewers watching you live and reporting you......:rotfl: Ok, I really don't mean it as a threat, but really, I will do what it takes to ensure that we have a good trip and if that means live broadcasts, so be it, in addition the broadcasts are recorded for viewing later, the quality may not be perfect, but I am sure it will be reasonable.

Also, if anyone knows how AT&T's 3G Network looks at WDW, I would greatly appreciate the info.

I'm just left WDW today. I was there Sept. 6-24. I only encountered one time where the bus was virtually empty and the driver refused to load me on my ECV. He sat there at the stop for a few minutes, then drove off. I was in the proper location... this was at Hollywood Studios. The only other bus problem we had was Downtown Disney. I decided to walk there, rather than take my ECV since we weren't going to walk the whole thing. We waited 45 minutes for a bus to Pop Century!!!!!!! None pulled up. Three, four buses went by for all the other resorts, none came for Pop. I was livid by then because I had enough of walking and standing (conveniently it rained, soaking all the benches at the bus stop...) I asked a bus driver when I should expect a bus, he told me "every 20 minutes." I told him that I'd been there for half and hour. So he snarkily replied, "well, it could be a half hour, could be 35 minutes, who knows?????" Sigh. I was livid, but that had nothing to do with ECV's, just crappy transportation.

I did however make it a point to cheerfully say hello to ever driver and thank them profusely fro helping me out and that seemed to go a long way. I also asked them about their days, etc.

As another poster suggested, I had no idea that there was this ECV issue! I cam to these boards looking for some tips on being preggo at WDW and stumbled upon this thread. I have read every post and am so pissed at these drivers and also disappointed in my fellow travelers that do not speak up for a disabled guest being mistreated! This is horrible! I am not a huge fan of the Disney busses in general, but I will be another one to watch out for abuses to guests in wheelchairs or ECVs on busses.

As a former Disneyland CM and a long time Disney visitor, I just can't imagine why Disney allows this to happen. I am curious if anyone that had a problem and complained received word back from Disney or any resolution at all.

I am so sorry to hear these stories.

As another poster suggested, I had no idea that there was this ECV issue! I cam to these boards looking for some tips on being preggo at WDW and stumbled upon this thread. I have read every post and am so pissed at these drivers and also disappointed in my fellow travelers that do not speak up for a disabled guest being mistreated! This is horrible! I am not a huge fan of the Disney busses in general, but I will be another one to watch out for abuses to guests in wheelchairs or ECVs on busses.

As a former Disneyland CM and a long time Disney visitor, I just can't imagine why Disney allows this to happen. I am curious if anyone that had a problem and complained received word back from Disney or any resolution at all.

I am so sorry to hear these stories.
I actually complained 2 trips ago and got an email back from Disney. And things were much better this last trip for me. I have sent a link to this thread to a friend who works in Guest Services. His area is access.

This is not a new problem either - I was looking and found some threads back to 2001 complaining of the same problems.
The difference seems to be that it was a relatively infrequent problem; now people are posting about problems pretty frequently.

There are some other people who are also passing the threads along to Transportation Management. The more places that the problem gets noticed, the better.

Knock on wood,
I have had good experiences with the buses & my ECV
My Dad also uses one & one driver was on his last run
When he learned my Dad was going to get of his bus to transfer over to another to go back to his room the driver told him to stay put & drove him back to the resort.
Thats service!
Not all drivers are poop heads

I agree. I am a Pediatric Occupational Therapist, and always note who is in a chair, ECV, etc when we get on the bus. More because I am looking at the different brands and how they work out so I can use them for my own patients! :rotfl: I haven't seen anyone denied boarding, not that I don't think it happens. Totally sucks... :mad:

But I have been to Disney once when I was pregnant (actually high risk at the time) and also with an infant. There were several times I had to stand on the bus when pregnant, holding onto a bar for dear life while my belly would bang into it as the driver starts and stops, slows down and speeds up repeatedly. Totally able bodied men sitting in seats, teens and young to middle aged women, etc. :mad: Completely upset at Men who are clearly DADs and didn't make room for a pregnant woman or small children while they sit in a seat!!!

The worst was after waiting 1 hour for a bus at then MGM. My "older" parents weren't feeling well, but stayed in line as best they could waiting, each taking a break to sit close to the line, but not far enough they wouldn't be able to board. Meanwhile, DH and I are passing our 1 year old (who is fast asleep) back and forth because our backs were killing us. We chose to rent a stroller in the parks that trip, because we were tired of the c**p of trying to get even folded stroller on a bus. Finally we boarded, although I seriously hesitated because I saw it was standing room only. But the buses were few and far between, so on we went. Sadly with the assumption that *Someone* would at least let one of us (either my parents, or DH or I) sit with DD, and also our other DD who was 3 1/2 at the time.

But no, I braced myself against the plexiwall towards the back of the bus( you know where the ECVs are strapped?) held the baby and wrapped my arms around the pole (and DD) in front of me. My mom faced backwards and wrapped her arms around me to keep me from falling while standing and holding DD. Our other DD held onto my leg, and I steadied her with my leg bracing her to the same pole I was clinging to for dear life (since our bus driver was one of those who slow down and speed up throughout the trip, jerking the bus constantly) I am teary eyed just recounting the horrific trip from MGM to the Contemporary!! I even went so far as to continuously comment on how difficult was and dangerous it was to have a baby in your arms, and a small child standing while a bus was moving, but in a car the children MUST be strapped into a safety seat. :confused: Um, hello, anyone see a problem here??

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Totally understand the frustration, from all angles!

;)
I got flamed for a post like this once!

I just got back from WDW where I spent a total of 20 days onsite (with a trip to Nevada inbetween for a family emergency) , joining different family members. We first stayed at Pop for 14 nights and the bus transportation was a nightmare, mostly due to the vast amounts of guests on ECV's- usually there would be a total of 6 riders needing a lift at the bus stops- those on on ECV's plus myself in a w/c and often another guest in a w/c. Please don't misunderstand me- we ALL needed the ramp or lift and each one of us had just as much right to use it- it just made for a difficult scenario with that many of us in one spot and the busses only accommodating a max of 2 at a time. One night there were 8 of us needing a lift/ramp plus family members waiting to return to Pop from MK and the driver ignored all of us, despite the fact that we were lined up correctly in the w/c queue and most of us had been there before the able bodied guests arrived in the main queue. One kind guest from the UK let myself and my SD go in front of their party as well as an elderly woman on oxygen. During this trip at Pop I had the problem of a bus driver refusing to transport my w/c as I told him it was unsafe for me to "back on" the lift as he insisted I do. Then he had issues with my SD, refusing to make the lift go back into "stairs" so she could get off safely- he wanted her to ride the lift or jump off. After he left, I recognized him as the driver I once had at MK who also refused to transport me, saying that his lift was broken ( after I had ridden it halfway up ). My biggest issue with him was his yelling at me in front of a full queue line of guests also waiting. I spoke with another guest at length who has been disabled an in a power chair since age 3- he and his wife and daughter were at ASMusic and felt the same way- too many ECV's for the busses there to handle. They were also DVC members and had decided never to book free dining again and stay at a value resort since the value resorts become more fully occupied with this promo-he was very tired of what he called the "spectacle" of boarding the busses. It was frustrating to say the least. I have to say I didn't have the same problem after the Pop stay at the DVC resorts- there just seemed to be fewer guests needing the tie downs and of course, there are fewer rooms anywhere but the value resorts. We've booked the FD promo with the bounceback offer for four years now and didn't book it this year since the value resorts are the only ones that make sense financially for us-never again will I put myself and my family through this kind of stress.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter