• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Horrible Experiences with WDW buses last week!

aubriee

<font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes
We just got back from WDW (Sept 6th-14th). We had my mom with us and she was using an ECV, as she usually does down there. We have never had a problem, but this trip transportation was absolutely horrible. We have never, ever had to make a call to complain about anything down there, but this time had to call four times time in the first four days. We then finally gave up. My mom says she is never returning to WDW again.:sad: Multiple times buses would pull up with no ECVs on them and the bus drivers would say there were too many people waiting and they'd call another bus. That next bus would say the exact same thing. Even on the mornings when we would try to catch the early morning character dining buses and they'd be almost totally empty, they would still try to deny us boarding. One morning, there was no one on the bus, except a family of three that had sat down in the handicapped seating. The driver just leaned out from his seat and said we couldn't board because he had people sitting in the ECV seats and couldn't ask them to move. The family overheard him and said 'no problem, they didn't mind moving'. He then acted very put out at them. At both AK and DTD an empty bus pulled up and we were told we would have to wait for another bus, due to there were too many people waiting in line. In both instances a second empty bus quickly pulled up and parked on the other side of the first bus. In both instances we were told we couldn't get on those buses either, because the bus drivers had parked in the wrong area and opened their doors for the other guests. By this time, at AK there were three ECVs and a wheelchair, all complaining that two completely empty buses had pulled up and no ECV had been loaded onto either bus. We ate at Cape May one night. We then caught the bus to DTD, planning to catch the bus or boat back to our resort (PORS). When the bus pulled up he had maybe 6-8 people on it. He opened the door, and rather rudely said, "you don't plan on putting that thing on here do you?" We were shocked and angry at his attitude and told him we most certainly did plan on putting the ECV on there and considering he had plenty of room, if he had a problem with it, we wanted his name. I then walked toward the back of the bus with my camera to take a picture of the bus number. He quickly changed his tune and became very nice. However, the bus then went to the BW, where he simply told another ECV family that he didn't have room for them. This was not true. We were the only ECV on the bus, and while a couple was sitting in the other ECV area, the driver did not ask them to move and there were still quite a few empty seats on the bus. At PORS two early mornings in a row, we had buses pull up, with no ECVs and empty seats on the bus, and the drivers wouldn't even ask the people sitting in the ECV seats to move to another empty seats. They would simply let everybody else on and then tell us to catch the next bus. At the AK bus stop, we got to talking to two other families (not related--simply waiting with us), who said this stuff had been going on all week with them also. Bus drivers simply did not want to deal with putting ECV and wheelchairs onto the buses. They too had been calling transportation and complaining. One night at DTD, we were the first ECV there, but sat through three different bus drivers telling us, there were too many people waiting for them to load an ECV. When the fourth bus finally pulled up, I was waiting at the door and told him that if he didn't put my mom on that bus that Disney was going to have a lawsuit. I'm normally fairly easy going, but we had been waiting at that stop for 1 hour and 30 minutes at that point, watching everyone who had gotten there after us get on those empty buses, while driver after driver told us to catch the next bus. The night of the MNSSHP, it took us over 90 minutes to get on a bus at the main stop at PORS and even then we had to bully our way on, as the third bus driver again told us to wait for another bus. Excuse me, there were empty seats, and he had no ECVs. The final straw was Saturday morning. We were waiting for a bus to MK. When the bus pulled up, the driver opened the back door, (supposedly to let us on). As the doors opened and before the driver could lower the lift, people started swarming in the back door, stepping over my mom who had backed her ECV up to the door. This had happened a couple of times before, but the bus driver got onto the people and made them get back off and enter through the front door. However, this bus driver just laughed, came back, and said the bus was now too full to load the ECV and there was nothing he could do. I reminded him that other than ECVs and their parties, that no one was supposed to even enter the bus through the back door, so how about he do what the other drivers had been doing and make those people get back off and load through the front door like they were supposed to. His response was that since the bus was now full, don't worry, another bus would be along soon, and we could get on it. I immediately asked for his name, went to the back of the bus, snapped a picture of the bus number, and got on the phone one last time asking for a transportation manager. I spoke with three separate managers. Transportation never did improve and even Sunday we were again told to wait for the next bus by a driver whose bus had no ECVs on it. We were told by several good bus drivers, that there had apparently been alot of complaints by ECV parties lately and they were trying to catch the drivers who were doing it, but they have alot of new bus drivers right now. The night we were late for the MNSSHP, I told the bus driver that if the bus had ECVs on it and didn't have empty seats I could understand us not being able to get on, but since there were empty seats and no ECVs, then wasn't the bus considered full for this stop and he said no, there was just too many people waiting for him to put us on and the ECV would take up three seats that were needed by others. I let him know I was reporting him and he simply said 'go ahead, WDW will support my decision". I then took his picture and a picture of the back of the bus. I called transportation and the person could tell I was furious and said he was sending two more buses immediately and we would be put on the first one and a supervisor would meet us at MK. Sure enough two MK buses pulled in right behind each other and we were put on immediately. When we got to MK, one of the managers met us as we were getting off the bus. We told him what had been happening and he told us they were aware, but they needed the names of the drivers, the bus numbers, the stop, and the time. He assured us the drivers doing it were being reprimanded when they were caught. While we were talking, the bus driver saw us and walked over with a very cocky attitude. I told the supervisor he was the driver who refused to allow ECVs on the bus, then loaded everybody else. He admitted it right in front of the supervisor. The supervisor told him he would talk to him later. The driver said he was getting off and asked if the supervisor wanted him to stay. The supervisor snapped at him, no, that he'd talk to him the next day.

Sorry for rambling, but I have just never seen the bus drivers act like they did this last week. I bet 60%-65% of the time, the drivers just refused to put an ECV on, even though they had room.:confused3 Again, my poor mom is insisting she will never go back to WDW.

We just got back from WDW (Sept 6th-14th). We had my mom with us anbd she was using an ECV, as she usually does down there. We have never had a problem, but this trip transportation was absolutely horrible. We have never, ever had to make a call to complain about anything down there, but this time had to call four times time in the first four days. We then finally gave up. My mom says she is never returning to WDW again.:sad: Multiple times buses would pull up with no ECVs on them and the bus drivers would say there were too many people waiting and they'd call another bus. That next bus would say the exact same thing. Even on the mornings when we would try to catch the early morning character dining buses and they'd be almost totally empty, they would still try to deny us boarding. One morning, there was no one on the bus, except a family of three that had sat down in the handicapped seating. The driver just leaned out from his seat and said we couldn't board because he had people sitting in the ECV seats and couldn't ask them to move. The family overheard him and said 'no problem, they didn't mind moving'. He then acted very put out at them. At both AK and DTD an empty bus pulled up and we were told we would have to wait for another bus, due to there were too many people waiting in line. In both instances a second empty bus quickly pulled up and parked on the other side of the first bus. In both instances we were told we couldn't get on those buses either, because the bus drivers had parked in the wrong area and opened their doors for the other guests. By this time, at AK there were three ECVs and a wheelchair, all complaining that two completely empty buses had pulled up and no ECV had been loaded onto either bus. We ate at Cape May one night. We then caught the bus to DTD, planning to catch the bus or boat back to our resort (PORS). When the bus pulled up he had maybe 6-8 people on it. He opened the door, and rather rudely said, "you don't plan on putting that thing on here do you?" We were shocked and angry at his attitude and told him we most certainly did plan on putting the ECV on there and considering he had plenty of room, if he had a problem with it, we wanted his name. I then walked toward the back of the bus with my camera to take a picture of the bus number. He quickly changed his tune and became very nice. However, the bus then went to the BW, where he simply told another ECV family that he didn't have room for them. This was not true. We were the only ECV on the bus, and while a couple was sitting in the other ECV area, the driver did not ask them to move and there were still quite a few empty seats on the bus. At PORS two early mornings in a row, we had buses pull up, with no ECVs and empty seats on the bus, and the drivers wouldn't even ask the people sitting in the ECV seats to move to another empty seats. They would simply let everybody else on and then tell us to catch the next bus. At the AK bus stop, we got to talking to two other families (not related--simply waiting with us), who said this stuff had been going on all week with them also. Bus drivers simply did not want to deal with putting ECV and wheelchairs onto the buses. They too had been calling transportation and complaining. One night at DTD, we were the first ECV there, but sat through three different bus drivers telling us, there were too many people waiting for them to load an ECV. When the fourth bus finally pulled up, I was waiting at the door and told him that if he didn't put my mom on that bus that Disney was going to have a lawsuit. I'm normally fairly easy going, but we had been waiting at that stop for 1 hour and 30 minutes at that point, watching everyone who had gotten there after us get on those empty buses, while driver after driver told us to catch the next bus. The night of the MNSSHP, it took us over 90 minutes to get on a bus at the main stop at PORS and even then we had to bully our way on, as the third bus driver again told us to wait for another bus. Excuse me, there were empty seats, and he had no ECVs. The final straw was Saturday morning. We were waiting for a bus to MK. When the bus pulled up, the driver opened the back door, (supposedly to let us on). As the doors opened and before the driver could lower the lift, people started swarming in the back door, stepping over my mom who had backed her ECV up to the door. This had happened a couple of times before, but the bus driver got onto the people and made them get back off and enter through the front door. However, this bus driver just laughed, came back, and said the bus was now too full to load the ECV and there was nothing he could do. I reminded him that other than ECVs and their parties, that no one was supposed to even enter the bus through the back door, so how about he do what the other drivers had been doing and make those people get back off and load through the front door like they were supposed to. His response was that since the bus was now full, don't worry, another bus would be along soon, and we could get on it. I immediately asked for his name, went to the back of the bus, snapped a picture of the bus number, and got on the phone one last time asking for a transportation manager. I spoke separately with three managers. Transportation never did improve and even Sunday we were again told to wait for the next bus by a driver whose bus had no ECVs on it. We were told by several good bus drivers, that there had apparently been alot of complaints by ECV parties lately and they were trying to catch the drivers who were doing it, but they have alot of new bus drivers right now. The night we were late for the MNSSHP, I told the bus driver that if the bus had ECVs on it and didn't have empty seats I could understand us not being able to get on, but since there were empty seats and no ECVs, then wasn't the bus considered full for this stop and he said no, there was just too many people waiting for him to put us on and the ECV would take up three seats that were needed by others. I let him know I was reporting him and he simply said 'go ahead, WDW will support my decision". I then took his picture and a picture of the back of the bus. I called transportation and the person could tell I was furious and said he was sending two more buses immediately and we would be put on the first one and a supervisor would meet us at MK. Sure enough two MK buses pulled in right behind each other and we were put on immediately. When we got to MK, one of the managers met us as we were getting off the bus. We told him what had been happening and he told us they were aware, but they needed the names of the drivers, the bus numbers, the stop, and the time. He assured us the drivers doing it were being reprimanded when they were caught. While we were talking, the bus driver saw us and walked over with a very cocky attitude. I told the supervisor he was the driver who refused to allow ECVs on the bus, then loaded everybody else. He admitted it right in front of the supervisor. The supervisor told him he would talk to him later. The driver said he was getting off and asked if the supervisor wanted him to stay. The supervisor snapped at him, no, that he'd talk to him the next day.

Sorry for rambling, but I have just never seen the bus drivers act like they did this last week. I bet 60%-65% of the time, the drivers just refused to put an ECV on, even though they had room.:confused3 Again, my poor mom is insisting she will never go back to WDW.

Hugs! :hug: I am so sorry that you and your mother went through this. WDW definately needs to take care of this situation, soon rather than later. I am apprehensive about our upcoming trip to WDW. We are staying at Pop and I am renting an ECV as I have went downhill so fast this past year (I rented at the parks only last year), this year it was either a full-time rental or cancel the trip. Would you mind sharing the telephone number to transportation with us? I hope that as time goes on, your DM will change her mind!

Sue and Chesh ~ I am sure this is a direct violation of ADA laws... is there any particular number, or line, I (or any of us using an ECV or WC) should have memorized to quote to a driver if this is to happen while boarding Disney buses at WDW? TIA! :flower3:

So sorry this happened to you and your mom! I hope this is not the way it usually is. I am taking my mom next year and she will be in an ECV for the whole trip.

Oh, aubriee, that's all just asinine!!!! Your poor mom!!! Let her relax for a while - maybe she'll change her mind about another trip. It may even be worthwhile (a real pain, and ideally entirely unnecessary) to delay your next trip until you can budget for a rental van that your mom can ride the ECV into.

You ARE planning to right to Guest Communications, aren't you? Please?

I'm so sorry to hear this! :hug: I am glad you complained and spoke to a supervisor! Please do pass along the phone number.
I am getting worried about our upcoming trip. This is the first time we will be flying and not have our van. My DS uses a wheelchair and I hope they will have some better trained drivers by next month.

Well, I will be bringing several cameras, including my small video camera... I will be filming the bus queue area each time I arrive at one.

I am willing to wait my turn - but if all those people who were in line when I arrived are gone by the time the second bus comes, I WILL be on that bus.

so sorry this happened to you and your mom. hugs to you two:grouphug: Tell mom to try again at disney. It sounds like they are trying to catch the culprits and have already caught one. If he keeps his job i 'll bet he won't do it again! Glad you stuck up for your rights and sounds like mom is understanding too, one and one half hours to wait for buses is ridiculous! here's sending you pixie dust!:flower3:

This happened once to us as well. My grandmother was waiting and a driver with a completely empty bus, no one at the stop except us, refused to let us on. A bus driver, who was stopped at our resort (going to a different park) told him he better let my grandmother on. And he did. But what you and your mother went through is insane!:scared1:

In Feb/March, I ended up having to go alone to the parks (grandmother caught my cold and spent the entire time in the hotel room :sick: ). At EPCOT one evening, it was POURING out. There was an older couple, and they were wearing "1st visit" pins. The driver didn't stop for them, just started loading the bus.... and that poor couple was waiting, getting wet. I was lucky enough to be somewhat close to the "Front" of the line, and I let the driver know, I'm not getting on, nor is anyone behind me until he got that couple on the bus. Of course, the people behind me were very angry. But they were teens/young adults. They can handle waiting five extra minutes to get back to the hotel. I'd like to believe that the driver didn't see them. But after reading your story of repeatedly bad service, it really makes me wonder :confused3

I hope your mother reconsiders and goes back. But please, do share that number with us, just in case something goes wrong. And thank you for letting us know what all is needed (name, bus, stop, time) to file a complaint! :flower3:

Hugs! :hug: I am so sorry that you and your mother went through this. WDW definately needs to take care of this situation, soon rather than later. I am apprehensive about our upcoming trip to WDW. We are staying at Pop and I am renting an ECV as I have went downhill so fast this past year (I rented at the parks only last year), this year it was either a full-time rental or cancel the trip. Would you mind sharing the telephone number to transportation with us? I hope that as time goes on, your DM will change her mind!

Sue and Chesh ~ I am sure this is a direct violation of ADA laws... is there any particular number, or line, I (or any of us using an ECV or WC) should have memorized to quote to a driver if this is to happen while boarding Disney buses at WDW? TIA! :flower3:
This has been happening more and more, but it is a violation of Federal Transportation Law.

If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I added a complete list of things to do if this happens to you. I included a phone number and how to get to the correct person.

With the bus number, route and time, they should be able to figure out the driver, even if you don't have the driver's name. In the FAQs, I suggested using a cell phone camera because most people can email the picture right from the cell phone.

People have been complaining, but it's not been helping (possibly because the driver's know that most guests won't complain). My personal thought is that it's come to the point that someone needs to complain to the US Department of Justice ( www.ada.gov ).
Here's a link to an interesting lawsuit against the bus company in Detroit.

We had this happen once. My daughter was 4 at the time and in her power wheelchair. He told me they didn't allow "go-karts" on the bus. The bus was empty and there were quite a few people waiting and they heard him tell me this. I blocked the entrance and told him he better be calling his supervisor because no one would be getting on until he loaded my daughter in her *POWER WHEELCHAIR*. I was LIVID. He sat in the drivers seat and said I would just have to move and I told him NOT a chance.... to go on and radio it in.

Needless to say he loaded her (and many other families were put out with him as well. Once we were all loaded I got on my handy dandy cell phone and called in a complaint and asked if anyone else on the bus would like to add input. Quite a few adults had further comments for the transportation supervisor... OOPS.

I am sorry you had to deal with this repeatedly. Its completely unfair!

We had this happen once. My daughter was 4 at the time and in her power wheelchair. He told me they didn't allow "go-karts" on the bus. The bus was empty and there were quite a few people waiting and they heard him tell me this. I blocked the entrance and told him he better be calling his supervisor because no one would be getting on until he loaded my daughter in her *POWER WHEELCHAIR*. I was LIVID. He sat in the drivers seat and said I would just have to move and I told him NOT a chance.... to go on and radio it in.

Needless to say he loaded her (and many other families were put out with him as well. Once we were all loaded I got on my handy dandy cell phone and called in a complaint and asked if anyone else on the bus would like to add input. Quite a few adults had further comments for the transportation supervisor... OOPS.

Thumbs down for the bus driver, but for you :thumbsup2

This has been happening more and more, but it is a violation of Federal Transportation Law.

If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I added a complete list of things to do if this happens to you. I included a phone number and how to get to the correct person.

With the bus number, route and time, they should be able to figure out the driver, even if you don't have the driver's name. In the FAQs, I suggested using a cell phone camera because most people can email the picture right from the cell phone.

People have been complaining, but it's not been helping (possibly because the driver's know that most guests won't complain). My personal thought is that it's come to the point that someone needs to complain to the US Department of Justice ( www.ada.gov ).

Thank you Sue! :flower3:

My son just got a new ECV to give him independence. He is so excited to use it at Disney this year. I don't have to push his wheelchair!:rotfl: Eighteen days of that last year was a little much!

I am however a little concerned. Last year while at Disney, a bus driver made the comment about the ABUSE of ECVs! Said it was taking spaces away from people in wheelchairs!:scared1: People who really need it...

Geez, my son really needs it for his arthritis in his ankles, feet and knees and from fatigue from his cystic fibrosis. Not to mention the extreme amount of pain he would endure if he walked:scared1: He is on tylenol #2 to cope with pain. The whole scenario scares me!!!!!

Scares me cause his disease is invisible and people see what they want to see and that is a lazy 12 year old boy:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: taking spaces away from someone in a wheelchair who needs it!

I am really thinking of taking my son's wheelchair and pushing for another month, then to put up with the frustration and aggravation of situations like this!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Charleyann

ROCK ON!!!

What a jerk that bus driver was. My daughter just turned 5 and is in a power wheelchair full time. I would have done the exact same thing. I would not move, make him load my Emma, and then call his supervisor.

I hope your daughter didn't really realize what was going on.

Amy

How AWFUL for you! Thank goodness I have never witnessed that. During the times I have been to Disney and ridden the buses, I have always seen those with disabilities and their families boarding first on the buses...ALWAYS...I would be appalled had it been any different. I am so glad you took those pictures...

While I didn't experience this type of behavior this trip I have in the past and it is very frustrating. At All Star Movie the weekend of Sept 5 I had no problems at all. I was really shocked at how well I was treated. Please write complaints to Guest Services. They need to know about this type of treatment and attitudes. There is no excuse for treating guests with disabilities in this manner especially when Disney's policy for those with mobilty issues is to suggest strongly that a wheelchair or ECV be used.

While I didn't experience this type of behavior this trip I have in the past and it is very frustrating. At All Star Movie the weekend of Sept 5 I had no problems at all. I was really shocked at how well I was treated. Please write complaints to Guest Services. They need to know about this type of treatment and attitudes. There is no excuse for treating guests with disabilities in this manner especially when Disney's policy for those with mobilty issues is to suggest strongly that a wheelchair or ECV be used.

I'd just like to add that I was at ASMo from 8/23 - 8/31 and NEVER was a family left behind. Each and every time we were on line either going to or from our resort, the people in wheelchairs/EVCs were ALWAYS boarded first. (Once there was a family who didn't board, but only because they were waiting for others in their party who hadn't arrived at the bus stop yet).

This issue doesn't affect me personally, but I believe everyone has the duty to open their mouth and say something.

:( Wow, I am so sorry that your family and others are obviously having a really bad time with the busses. :hug:

Your story makes me feel so much better about booking CR and having a rental mini-van, so that we don't have the same pixie dust buzz kill issues in December. We did this to avoid the busses due to the need for both me and my MIL to use ECV's. We knew that it would be a challenge to get everyone to the parks at the same time if we had to rely on the busses, since they only hold 2 ECV's at a time.

But, you know, the busses are for everyone and those drivers need to understand that. If they don't want to follow the rules, making room for the ECV's/wheelchairs, politely informing the other guests of the need to wait, make room, and move to other seating, then they need to find themselves a new line of work! It's insane that you or anyone would be put in the position of having to call transportation once, let alone multiple times during their vacation.

I wish you much better luck in the future and I certainly hope that your mom can find it in her heart to give them a chance to make this right in the future.

This breaks my heart to hear that we are stepping backwards in time!! In all my times at WDW I've never have seen a denial of an ecv, or letting them load first - I have at my time on the Dis read several complaints on how an ecv and their entire family of 100 (you know the number always changes!) on the bus while they wait patiently...

Thanks Sue for the number, I'm loading it in my cell - and I agree at how ridiculous it is to have to have names,numbers, times etc - when you are so stressed... but to have an action plan before a problem occurs is indeed the way to go!!

and I bet this never happens when there is a CM with a clipboard noting crowds and bus times!! :headache:

Oh man, what a sad story! I can't imagine going though that, its truely sick. I have no choice...I HAVE to rent an ECV for our November trip, reading this thread makes me so nervious, then again, I read some positive ones. I have taken down the phone number of who to contact just in case this happens to me, I pray I wont need it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter