• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Horrible Experiences with WDW buses last week!

We have been to Disney World many times...(stay at Pop Century) and as I said before...Personally, I have never witnessed such a crime...I had always assumed if there were ANY people waiting in their wheel chairs or ECV's in the the special area ...there would be no question about it...They would get on first. I have never seen a driver treat anyone the way you were treated...That is absolutely terrible! Morally, it isn't right....Besides that...Wouldn't you think they (the drivers who were so cruel) would at least worry about their JOBS?!!! Do they actually think they can get away with it?

We just got back from WDW (Sept 6th-14th). We had my mom with us and she was using an ECV, as she usually does down there. We have never had a problem, but this trip transportation was absolutely horrible. We have never, ever had to make a call to complain about anything down there, but this time had to call four times time in the first four days. We then finally gave up. My mom says she is never returning to WDW again.:sad: Multiple times buses would pull up with no ECVs on them and the bus drivers would say there were too many people waiting and they'd call another bus. That next bus would say the exact same thing. Even on the mornings when we would try to catch the early morning character dining buses and they'd be almost totally empty, they would still try to deny us boarding. One morning, there was no one on the bus, except a family of three that had sat down in the handicapped seating. The driver just leaned out from his seat and said we couldn't board because he had people sitting in the ECV seats and couldn't ask them to move. The family overheard him and said 'no problem, they didn't mind moving'. He then acted very put out at them. At both AK and DTD an empty bus pulled up and we were told we would have to wait for another bus, due to there were too many people waiting in line. In both instances a second empty bus quickly pulled up and parked on the other side of the first bus. In both instances we were told we couldn't get on those buses either, because the bus drivers had parked in the wrong area and opened their doors for the other guests. By this time, at AK there were three ECVs and a wheelchair, all complaining that two completely empty buses had pulled up and no ECV had been loaded onto either bus. We ate at Cape May one night. We then caught the bus to DTD, planning to catch the bus or boat back to our resort (PORS). When the bus pulled up he had maybe 6-8 people on it. He opened the door, and rather rudely said, "you don't plan on putting that thing on here do you?" We were shocked and angry at his attitude and told him we most certainly did plan on putting the ECV on there and considering he had plenty of room, if he had a problem with it, we wanted his name. I then walked toward the back of the bus with my camera to take a picture of the bus number. He quickly changed his tune and became very nice. However, the bus then went to the BW, where he simply told another ECV family that he didn't have room for them. This was not true. We were the only ECV on the bus, and while a couple was sitting in the other ECV area, the driver did not ask them to move and there were still quite a few empty seats on the bus. At PORS two early mornings in a row, we had buses pull up, with no ECVs and empty seats on the bus, and the drivers wouldn't even ask the people sitting in the ECV seats to move to another empty seats. They would simply let everybody else on and then tell us to catch the next bus. At the AK bus stop, we got to talking to two other families (not related--simply waiting with us), who said this stuff had been going on all week with them also. Bus drivers simply did not want to deal with putting ECV and wheelchairs onto the buses. They too had been calling transportation and complaining. One night at DTD, we were the first ECV there, but sat through three different bus drivers telling us, there were too many people waiting for them to load an ECV. When the fourth bus finally pulled up, I was waiting at the door and told him that if he didn't put my mom on that bus that Disney was going to have a lawsuit. I'm normally fairly easy going, but we had been waiting at that stop for 1 hour and 30 minutes at that point, watching everyone who had gotten there after us get on those empty buses, while driver after driver told us to catch the next bus. The night of the MNSSHP, it took us over 90 minutes to get on a bus at the main stop at PORS and even then we had to bully our way on, as the third bus driver again told us to wait for another bus. Excuse me, there were empty seats, and he had no ECVs. The final straw was Saturday morning. We were waiting for a bus to MK. When the bus pulled up, the driver opened the back door, (supposedly to let us on). As the doors opened and before the driver could lower the lift, people started swarming in the back door, stepping over my mom who had backed her ECV up to the door. This had happened a couple of times before, but the bus driver got onto the people and made them get back off and enter through the front door. However, this bus driver just laughed, came back, and said the bus was now too full to load the ECV and there was nothing he could do. I reminded him that other than ECVs and their parties, that no one was supposed to even enter the bus through the back door, so how about he do what the other drivers had been doing and make those people get back off and load through the front door like they were supposed to. His response was that since the bus was now full, don't worry, another bus would be along soon, and we could get on it. I immediately asked for his name, went to the back of the bus, snapped a picture of the bus number, and got on the phone one last time asking for a transportation manager. I spoke with three separate managers. Transportation never did improve and even Sunday we were again told to wait for the next bus by a driver whose bus had no ECVs on it. We were told by several good bus drivers, that there had apparently been alot of complaints by ECV parties lately and they were trying to catch the drivers who were doing it, but they have alot of new bus drivers right now. The night we were late for the MNSSHP, I told the bus driver that if the bus had ECVs on it and didn't have empty seats I could understand us not being able to get on, but since there were empty seats and no ECVs, then wasn't the bus considered full for this stop and he said no, there was just too many people waiting for him to put us on and the ECV would take up three seats that were needed by others. I let him know I was reporting him and he simply said 'go ahead, WDW will support my decision". I then took his picture and a picture of the back of the bus. I called transportation and the person could tell I was furious and said he was sending two more buses immediately and we would be put on the first one and a supervisor would meet us at MK. Sure enough two MK buses pulled in right behind each other and we were put on immediately. When we got to MK, one of the managers met us as we were getting off the bus. We told him what had been happening and he told us they were aware, but they needed the names of the drivers, the bus numbers, the stop, and the time. He assured us the drivers doing it were being reprimanded when they were caught. While we were talking, the bus driver saw us and walked over with a very cocky attitude. I told the supervisor he was the driver who refused to allow ECVs on the bus, then loaded everybody else. He admitted it right in front of the supervisor. The supervisor told him he would talk to him later. The driver said he was getting off and asked if the supervisor wanted him to stay. The supervisor snapped at him, no, that he'd talk to him the next day.

Sorry for rambling, but I have just never seen the bus drivers act like they did this last week. I bet 60%-65% of the time, the drivers just refused to put an ECV on, even though they had room.:confused3 Again, my poor mom is insisting she will never go back to WDW.

I heard you talking about this when we were leaving Disney one day last week!:goodvibes Disney's to wonderful for her to be upset for long. She'll
Figure out a way to feel better!

The only problem we've had loading Mom's w/c in the last several years was when there was a problem with the lift. It wouldn't go down all the way when the driver tried to lower it for us. Other than that, we've always loaded first, even if the driver had to move some previously loaded guests from the fold-up seats.

What the OP encountered is inexcusable.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. Your experience is the reason why DH and I paid extra money to rent an ECV that could be easily disassembled and are renting an SUV to carry it in. I just didn't want to be in the position to wait and wait and wait for buses when the drivers are so mean about having to load someone.

I hope they get this issue straightened out for all of those people unable to rent their own vehicles to transport ECVs and wheelchairs.

I am so sorry you and your mom had to deal with this!

My family, including my little sister in a wheelchair were visiting the 5th through the 9th for our first trip and encountered the *EXACT* same problems! Even down to the driver with the haughty attitude. It was a complete nightmare. The driver referred to my sister as "the chair", saying "sorry, the chair can't get on" and reduced her to tears. She believed that she was a burden to our family and was in her own words "ruining vacations for other families!" I was furious and complained to transportation as soon as we *finally* made it back to our hotel. I was able to speak with a manager but I was still pretty burned up about the whole experience. I had hoped it was just an isolated issue with our family.

Again, I 'm so sorry you all had to deal with such bad service too.

I am so sorry for your ordeal as it is totally inexcusable. Good idea about the cell phone camera - I always forget that I have one. I'm going to go program the transportation number into my cell phone so we can report problems on the spot.

On our last trip we had problems and couldn't get a bus to MK from CSR. We contacted transportation and it took days for them to get back to us. DH uses an ECV at WDW because he cannot walk long distance and cannot stand for hardly any length of time. DH is worried about returning to WDW and this time we won't have our car.

I emailed guest services about a week and a half ago to see if there have been any changes to the ECV/bus problems and still haven't gotten a response. I guess now I don't need one :sad1:

Sue - thanks for all you do.

I heard you talking about this when we were leaving Disney one day last week!:goodvibes Disney's to wonderful for her to be upset for long. She'll
Figure out a way to feel better!

Are you the family with the wheelchair that we spoke to while waiting for a bus from AK to PORS? If you are, I remember you saying the same thing had been happening to you guys all week. We have never had a problem getting my mom's ECV on a bus before this last trip. It was a nightmare all week. Don't get me wrong, we did have some very nice drivers too. I just couldn't believe the number of drivers we had that obviously just didn't want to deal with loading an ECV. As you know the parks were almost empty last week. We are people who make early morning rope drops and always leave the parks mid day and before closing, so the buses weren't that crowded (except at DTD some), so there were usually seats available. The bus drivers just didn't want to bother with the ECV and kept telling us to wait for the next bus. I hate confrontations, but by the end of the week had no choice but to demand my mom be loaded onto those buses. As of right now, she is still saying she will never return to WDW. I currently have trips planned for May and again next Sept, but am seriously considering going somewhere else for awhile. I usually also go every Dec, but have already decided not to this year. Disney is just leaving a sour taste in my mouth right now. Sorry to be a bummer, but WDW has always been so great about ECVs, that I was just shocked at the change this trip.

All I can say is; unbelievable!!

Would it be an option to get all of these complaints about the same period combined and re-submit them as a group also to Guest Services and Transportation Management? With a bundle of exactly the same complaints in exactly the same time, this should really ring a big bell with Disney. This makes very clear it is no 'once in a lifetime'-experience, nor just one bad apple in the bunch.

Unbelievable.

All I can say is; unbelievable!!

Would it be an option to get all of these complaints about the same period combined and re-submit them as a group also to Guest Services and Transportation Management? With a bundle of exactly the same complaints in exactly the same time, this should really ring a big bell with Disney. This makes very clear it is no 'once in a lifetime'-experience, nor just one bad apple in the bunch.

Unbelievable.

I second that motion! :thumbsup2

I'd just like to add that I was at ASMo from 8/23 - 8/31 and NEVER was a family left behind. Each and every time we were on line either going to or from our resort, the people in wheelchairs/EVCs were ALWAYS boarded first. (Once there was a family who didn't board, but only because they were waiting for others in their party who hadn't arrived at the bus stop yet).

This issue doesn't affect me personally, but I believe everyone has the duty to open their mouth and say something.
You know as I think back on it, most of my problems with transportation have been at moderate and deluxe resorts and not at the value resorts. Especially bad are the moderate resorts. Those drivers just seem like they don't want to deal with ECVs and wheelchairs.

I use adult strollers for my teens with disabilities just because of the problem with ECV's. We have only been denied access to the back entrance once and that was because the bus was full when we got to the bus stop. With the adult travel chair, it can be folded up neatly like a stroller and carried on the bus. Even though it is a lot of work pushing my kids around the parks, I look at it as getting good exercise and keeping in shape. When there is a big crowd waiting for the bus like at MK after fireworks we usually wait in line with everybody else because we can fold the chairs. Almost always, the driver get off, looks at us in line and motions us to get in the back of the bus before everybody else, even though I tell the driver we can fold them up. :thumbsup2

While I don't deny that you party was treated rudely and unfairly, and it is a vioulation of the ADA, I even sometimes get angry when ECV's load first with huge parties of people from a grand gathering and there is no room for anybody else. Yes, many disabilities are hidden, but it is quite obvious that some people use ECV's to get preferred access. I get really angry when I am denied boarding for an ECV and their party and I later see a child driving the same DCV around the parks and the adult is walking! :headache:

Now I'm worried. My DM and I are traveling together (no husbands or kids) and she needs a ECV to get around. SHe was planning on going back to the hotel alone each afternoon and now I am getting worried that she will end up stranded or taking forever to get back. If I was with her I would demand assistance, but I know she won't. What can I do?

I emailed guest services about a week and a half ago to see if there have been any changes to the ECV/bus problems and still haven't gotten a response. I guess now I don't need one :sad1:

Sue - thanks for all you do.

Don't worry it usually takes Guest Communications about three weeks to get back to you because of the amount of mail they receive.

Unbelievable!!! I sincerely hope Karma is in full force for these inconsiderate, discourteous drivers!!!

Yes, many disabilities are hidden, but it is quite obvious that some people use ECV's to get preferred access. I get really angry when I am denied boarding for an ECV and their party and I later see a child driving the same DCV around the parks and the adult is walking! :headache:
Please don't judge someone just because first you see them on an ECV and later you see them walking. Many of us who use ECVs need to keep up our muscle tone, and will spend a little time off of them. Just because we walk a little doesn't mean we don't need the ECV. Also, my dh will need knee replacements in the future, so sometimes due to pain, he rides my EVC while I get my walking in. It's the only way we both can tour the parks!
Using an ECV does not gain you preferred access, and quite often, you wait longer to ride some rides. I really wish I DIDN'T need to use one. My carefree days in the parks are gone!

My point was "child driving the ECV". They are not supposed to be driven by anyone younger than 18 and if the rental company knew it, they would be really angry. :headache: I once turned a child in to a CM that was driving an ECV around like a crazy person and when the CM figured out the ECV was rented directly from that particular park, he took the "key" away from the child and drove the ECV back to the front of the park. I'm sure those people never got their deposit back! :cool2:

Good for him! When I worked there, I despised ECVs. I realize that people need them, but every single one of us has been run over by somebody who did not know how to drive them. I was on modified duty for a week because an ECV damaged my achilles tendon (at least the guy was apologetic) and a friend of mine was on a light duty for a month after and ECV ran over her foot bruising every muscle and bone and causing a horrible sprain. The bad part is, the majority of people when they run over someone are actually rude about it! That's why I'm not mad at the guy who ran over me, he was very apologetic, and I realize he couldn't see me in the crowd. I always got kids off of the ECV if I saw them, it's hard enough for an adult to maneuver one, but I never had the guts to take the key.

For the poster who says her child has one- obviously that is a different situation since it is a personal one, just be ready to be stopped by CMs. Literally every rental company requires the person to be 18 to drive it, and we are trained to stop a family if we see a kid driving one, it's a safety issue. If you tell them it is your child's personal ECV, you should be okay.

While I don't deny that you party was treated rudely and unfairly, and it is a vioulation of the ADA, I even sometimes get angry when ECV's load first with huge parties of people from a grand gathering and there is no room for anybody else. Yes, many disabilities are hidden, but it is quite obvious that some people use ECV's to get preferred access. I get really angry when I am denied boarding for an ECV and their party and I later see a child driving the same DCV around the parks and the adult is walking! :headache:
Please be careful when assuming a child is driving an ECV. Both my daughter's are well over 18 but depending on what they are wearing can be taken for a young teen. One is 30, the other 26. My oldest has severe arthritis in her knee from an injury at age 13. She has been known to borrow my ECV when I had one (now use a PWC) or rent one for herself.

My mouth is still open from reading the original post. We were at WDW last Oct and my Mom (a BKA) used an ECV the whole trip. We never had a problem and I would never think this could happen. I am also surprised that someone in line didn't pipe up and say "hey they were here first, why aren't you loading them on?"

For my upcoming trip, I promise to be that person. If I see a WC or ECV being wrongfully denied access to a bus I will speak up. I will take pics of the bus number, note the time, route, and contact transportation.

D4D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter