HO-HO-HOLY GRINCHMAS...10 JOLLY HOLIDAY NIGHTS AT RPR..NOV/DEC 2018

Leaving Seuss we head towards Potter but first head through the Lost Continent...…

We like this area too, but I`m sure in the future it will change probably beyond all recognition......so for now, we take as many pictures as we can...….

i-DhFDSSt-XL.jpg

Poseidon`s Adventure for us is one of our least favourite things to do in Universal...….it`s a dull dud for us and a definite one and done....the water vortex is quite cool to see, and of course everyone should do it and see if they like it, as many do......especially kids.....they love the water aspect!!! I think what may have coloured of view also of it was, we were ultra hot, ultra tired and we had to stand for ages even with EP....so it didn't put us in the best frame of mind to enjoy it maybe as much as we should...…as always, make up your own mind and have a bash at everything...….

i-bf5vRnc-XL.jpg

i-tJx7XTH-XL.jpg

We love the building that contains Mythos, but the restaurant itself has been a bit of a letdown for us last few visits.....so we will be giving it a miss last few visits and will do the same for a while......it doesn't take much to put me off a place and this is one that we will go back to eventually, just not anytime soon.

i-9p5Mm98-XL.jpg

We passed by the fountain and he was "snoring" gently so we didn't get to stop by and have a good old laugh listening to some of the interactions he has with guests......it is funny.....and some of the humour is funny!!!! Especially the type that goes over most kids heads...…I couldn't count how many hours over the years I`ve sat and watched the fountain.

Going into Potter is always lovely......I can never decide which Potter area is my favourite…..I adore Diagon Alley but there`s something about the castle.....which is of course the best castle in Orlando despite what many may say.....lol......and there are so many little details here too that despite having been visiting regularly since the place opened, there are always so many things to see......

i-P7CQhzT-XL.jpg

i-vDRVz2X-XL.jpg

In December 2017 we were walking into Hogsmeade and Kyle spotted the doors opening on the tower on the owlery...something we hadn't ever noticed before...…and hadn't ever noticed it since. And we did look every single time we walked in that way...….so the next three pictures are from 2017....but we did like to see it open up and see the owl appear.

And as someone told us (not directly) they didn't believe that happened as they hadn't seen it......well, here ya go again...……

i-tqGKCc7-XL.jpg

i-CCFmzKS-XL.jpg

i-pVqRzJX-XL.jpg

i-HwNspWg-XL.jpg

Honeyduke`s and Zonko`s are a must do in Hogsmeade......full of colourful displays and some very unusual candies and cakes.....assorted fudge is a classic purchase here including the lovely butterbeer fudge.....we aren't the biggest fans of butterbeer, but do like the fudge. I usually find fudge too sweet, but this one isn't too bad.

i-GKqQC8d-XL.jpg

i-qtqHcdZ-XL.jpg

The area under the owlery is ideal for a rest area away from the blazing heat some days, and on extremely hot and sunny days, you`ll be lucky to get a seat at all...…I used to wait on Tom and Kyle as they did many more rides on Duelling Dragons after I did my usual one ride on each side.....and it was a pleasant area as most folks chatted the time away with you......today however there were plenty of seats....and of course it wasn't boiling hot today.

i-5CtXqRL-XL.jpg

i-pWnDsCh-XL.jpg

i-FTW8Dkt-XL.jpg

I love the detail of everything that has been done in both Potter places......and the additions of the not too intrusive Christmas decorations only enhance the olde English style of décor......it is reminiscent of a Dickens story with a traditional English village of many years before...…

i-dG37hnG-XL.jpg

Then we have the castle.……..

It is resplendent. And always makes us smile every single time we see it...….

i-Dzsmp6k-XL.jpg

i-d35BMdt-XL.jpg

i-fTX4vD4-XL.jpg

We enjoyed standing in the shadows of such a majestic building and it does evoke all kinds of memories of seeing real Castles, although none quite like Hogwarts......we were very lucky as children to have many, many castles in Scotland and England too to go and visit and experience...…now we don't seem to visit them as often as we would like to. I guess more tourists visit them than folks who have them on their doorstep do.

i-H6BzPNX-XL.jpg

i-C3hWmWw-XL.jpg

I absolutely wish they had put a secret suite in there …..themed like the Gryffindor common room and the bedroom area......I could imagine paying to sleep a night in there, akin to Cinderella castle in MK......the theming for Hogwarts would be out of this world!!!

i-HvG9rGb-XL.jpg

Tom at the "secret entrance"

It`s not really but we jokingly told someone it was a secret entrance once and they believed us......we heard them tell others in the line......we couldn't take it back after that......but wonder how many times a TM has been asked about it...….we honestly thought they knew we were kidding...…oops!!!

i-gCStCH5-XL.jpg

Up next......Inside the Castle...…..

We really enoyed our dinner that morphed into an evening lol. You know you are having fun when you glance at your watch and have to look twice to verify! I am such a fan of Amatista, just enough twists to keep things interesting and what I think to be among the best servers onsite.

A shame Kyle was laid low, i was starting to get a sore throat that night, thought from talking so much. Wasn’t able to eat more than soup at the palms the next day. Laid me low for a week once I got home.

Agree, mythos has slipped more into CS fare quality. A shame, used to be top notch. At least the risotto is still on the menu. My nose has been out of joint since the original blueberry pork/Mac & cheese was taken off the menu lol

Oh, i love Poseidon will be sad to see it go. Fire, water, cool aid, ahhh. Have been crowing for years it could easily be repurposed to HP chamber of secrets with basilisk in last room.

As you so eloquently state, I feel comfortable stating this /\

I always enjoy hearing other people`s opinion on things.....it`s always interesting and I value others opinion on everything...….for example we don't go to Disney anymore, but I love to hear folks views, good and bad on experiences...….and I`d never ignore their views and understand my view isn't always the right one in everyone else`s eyes...….it`s a shame some folks don't see it that way too......some it seems I`m told view a differing opinion to there own as just to be ignored.….of course we all make up our own mind, but I try to take in others views too. And if someone asks my opinion on anything I`ll usually give it....and honestly too......no passive aggressive digs to denigrate and dismiss others opinions. Not my style.

So, no Grinchmas show this year for us...……

Last edited:
Great pics!

Agree, mythos has slipped more into CS fare quality. A shame, used to be top notch. At least the risotto is still on the menu. My nose has been out of joint since the original blueberry pork/Mac & cheese was taken off the menu lol

Oh, i love Poseidon will be sad to see it go. Fire, water, cool aid, ahhh. Have been crowing for years it could easily be repurposed to HP chamber of secrets with basilisk in last room.

Thanks........:)

I never tried that blueberry pork......it sounded like I’d enjoy it....it’s such a shame as standards used to be so high there, but we were annoyed by the service too.......it was very obvious. And folks around us were saying the same thing........but hopefully they’ll pick back up........

Lol.......I knew someone loved Poseidon..couldn’t remember who it was........now I know.....:rotfl:Yep it would be a perfect building for something Potter.......I’m sure it’ll happen before too long ::yes::

Our May dates are 8th till the 22nd so I do get mixed up.........

Yay! You are still going to be there when we go. If you happen to run into a short crazy lady, that's me! Seriously tho my family knows you are the one responsible for us going this spring. Your trips reports convinced me we had to go back.

I agree! Hogsmeade is a site to behold and the castle is amazing! I do love DA but Hogsmeade has a slight edge over it for me!

I learned about the talking fountain from your report, however he wasn’t talking when I checked. I can imagine how fun it is to hear it.

I will need to look up to the owl window now to see if it opens! Thanks to your reports I have noticed new things every time to look for!

We woke up early as usual, and immediately I heard Kyle blow his nose
So hard for a mom when the little one (even though he is not little anymore) is sick. Hoping Kyle will be able to go back with you soon, knowing you were looking so forward to this trip with him.

Last edited:

We really enoyed our dinner that morphed into an evening lol. You know you are having fun when you glance at your watch and have to look twice to verify! I am such a fan of Amatista, just enough twists to keep things interesting and what I think to be among the best servers onsite.

A shame Kyle was laid low, i was starting to get a sore throat that night, thought from talking so much. Wasn’t able to eat more than soup at the palms the next day. Laid me low for a week once I got home.

As you so eloquently state, I feel comfortable stating this /\

I always enjoy hearing other people`s opinion on things.....it`s always interesting and I value others opinion on everything...….for example we don't go to Disney anymore, but I love to hear folks views, good and bad on experiences...….and I`d never ignore their views and understand my view isn't always the right one in everyone else`s eyes...….it`s a shame some folks don't see it that way too......some it seems I`m told view a differing opinion to there own as just to be ignored.….of course we all make up our own mind, but I try to take in others views too. And if someone asks my opinion on anything I`ll usually give it....and honestly too......no passive aggressive digs to denigrate and dismiss others opinions. Not my style.

So, no Grinchmas show this year for us...……

Thanks Keisha......we had a brilliant evening with you both...and we both commented how quickly the time passed!!! And yes, you got a real bad virus too by time you got home too......I think Orlando must have been full of bugs and more at the time...….First time we went to Amatista when it opened, I wasn't sure, but after that we always enjoyed it. I`ll happily go back there again....

Yes opinions are always interesting....I`m certainly not narcissistic enough to think my opinion is always right and the only one that matters.....and of someone has a differing opinion I still value it.....it`s so easy to dismiss opinions as not valid and give them no credence......but each to their own......I`m quite happy to be considered opinionated......but again, like to hear others too without being dismissive.....others may see it differently of course :rolleyes:

Nice to hear someone does enjoy Poseidon`s Adventure though...…..:rotfl: :rotfl:Actually you may have convinced me to give it another go in either March or May...….::yes::

Yay! You are still going to be there when we go. If you happen to run into a short crazy lady, that's me! Seriously tho my family knows you are the one responsible for us going this spring. Your trips reports convinced me we had to go back.

Mom and I were discussing this the other day how we dont even remember seeing toon land back in 2017. It looks so colorful and fun, the pouring rain must had us all out of sort then.

So hard for a mom when the little one (even though he is not little anymore) is sick. Hoping Kyle will be able to go back with you soon, knowing you were looking so forward to this trip with him.

Oh that was him done for the next 5 or 6 days …...he did make lunch on the Sunday which was lovely....but he was done...…

Oh if it rains there it can be bad and it`s easy to miss out a whole area....

Did you tell me your dates for your trip???? I`ve forgotten if you have :blush:......so you`ll be there the same time...oh you have to give me a shout out if you see us or let me know which park you`ll be in one day....it would be lovely to say hello...….and thank you!!! I love to hear you`re partly going back because of what you`ve seen here......that makes me so happy!!! I`m sure you and your family will have an amazing time again......:goodvibes

I agree! Hogsmeade is a site to behold and the castle is amazing! I do love DA but Hogsmeade has a slight edge over it for me!

I learned about the talking fountain from your report, however he wasn’t talking when I checked. I can imagine how fun it is to hear it.

I will need to look up to the owl window now to see if it opens! Thanks to your reports I have noticed new things every time to look for!

It`s a hard choice isn't it between both areas......both are fabulous, but I think for most folks it`s a small difference between the two of them...…

Oh you missed the fountain!!! What a shame....he is so funny!! I say he as it`s usually a male voice, but I have heard a lady fountain once before...she was excellent too....maybe next time you`ll catch it live...

Oh we are like hawks watching it now whenever we pass by.....I asked a lot of people and they all said they hadn't seen it, so I`m not sure it`s a regular thing....it should be if it isn't :thumbsup2

That’s a really great picture of the owlery!

Thanks for sharing it

It is cool isn't it!!

We really were surprised to see it open up that day.....I`m glad Kyle is so observant....lol.....I didn't notice at all and we were standing looking that way...….

Glad you liked it...….:)

Did you tell me your dates for your trip???? I`ve forgotten if you have :blush:......so you`ll be there the same time...oh you have to give me a shout out if you see us or let me know which park you`ll be in one day

I cant remember if I did either. Have to love being 50. UGH! Anyway, we will be there for just a few days - May18-22. Not sure what parks we will go to first or when. Trying to embrace the non-planning aspect of Universal. Do know that we will definitely eat at Jakes and grab an adult beverage at Strong Water.

I cant remember if I did either. Have to love being 50. UGH! Anyway, we will be there for just a few days - May18-22. Not sure what parks we will go to first or when. Trying to embrace the non-planning aspect of Universal. Do know that we will definitely eat at Jakes and grab an adult beverage at Strong Water.

Lol.......oh I hear you......we plan next to nothing every day.......but hopefully we can arrange to say a quick hello at the time.....I usually pop on here at some point when we are in Orlando....

We have a rough idea of what we’re doing some days.....like when we go to St Augustine or Mount Dora but it’s usually just a wake up and see where we feel like going today........yep, that’s a vacation!!!

OMG I've been gone so long I've missed almost another of your trip reports

Shame my own never got finished....Ooops

Rob and I were chatting last night and we said "I wonder if Carol & Tom" have been on their next trip yet?", and you have!!

We've started to plan Orlando 2020

Oh and here's picture of Jackson and I at Christmas (His little face!!) , hope you all had a great Xmas & New Year

Attachments

• IMG_awvm2u.jpg
    IMG_awvm2u.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 17
OMG I've been gone so long I've missed almost another of your trip reports

Shame my own never got finished....Ooops

Rob and I were chatting last night and we said "I wonder if Carol & Tom" have been on their next trip yet?", and you have!!

We've started to plan Orlando 2020

Oh and here's picture of Jackson and I at Christmas (His little face!!) , hope you all had a great Xmas & New Year

Well, hello my friend!!! Fabulous to see you back posting again..........:thumbsup2

Oh it’s time consuming doing a trip report........you’re so busy, I know.......I’m lucky, I’m a bit of a lazy cow and can swan around all day doing as I like......or so Tom says........wait.....:scratchin should I be insulted with that.....:rotfl: probably true........lol.......

Jackson is gorgeous!!! :dog: He is beyond cute.....no wonder you both adore him so much.....we did have a good festive season thanks, after we all got better from Orlando Viruses.......December was a washout once we got home, never got to visit family as planned leading up to Christmas and another visit to Scotland cancelled too .....Tom and I only really recovered mid January.......but hope you both had a lovely time and had lots of fun.....

Yes we’ve been again, back home and ready to go again in 4 weeks........Sapphire Falls and Mardi Gras this time......and a few other trips planned this year too.......big one is a month in September.......extra celebration for Tom’s birthday (although we’ll celebrate my b’day ::yes:: and our wedding anniversary while we’re there) Tom’s is actually August.

But, lovely to see you here again.......both of us send our love and hugs to you and Rob.........hope we match up in 2020......don’t be a stranger and hope you enjoy the trip report.........:goodvibes

Entering the Castle is always lovely......apart from the crowds that converge in great numbers around one locker.....today wasn't too bad, especially as we were doing a walk through this time around to take some pictures...we would go back in and ride after we had done this.

The TM`s will see if you have a bag of some kind and ask you to put it in the lockers if its not the three prong waist pack that is allowed......we usually go up to one and tell them we are just walking through and it`s fine.....

Today we head through the regular ride....but I think I prefer the EP line....although you do miss stuff with either line......so if you can, definitely do both lines if the regular isn't too bad.....there is so much to see in here.

One of the first objects we see as you enter the regular line is the humpbacked one-eyed witch statue that hides a secret passageway to Hogsmeade from the Gryffindor common area bulletin board....it is quite creepy when you see it and we have seen some little kids over the years be a little frightened of it...…

i-ktSbNbW-XL.jpg

And of course the mirror of Erised……..everyone wants a picture of this...….it wasn't too busy today when we were wandering around, but people tend to stop if they see you taking pictures as we do automatically too, but we always tell folks to carry on and go ahead of us. It`s only good manners really.....that way you`re not disturbing folks by stopping them every time you want a picture...…we did hear a group complain to a couple who had the famous narcissist stick and were stopping every few paces, posing and taking pictures.....but the family we spoke to when we caught up with them said they weren't leaving room for folks to pass....not a good idea. Funnily enough I read recently that scientists claim taking a selfie from a foot away form your face isn't very flattering and makes your nose look huge......I have an odd shaped nose, so guess no more for us lol....not that we take many at all.....

i-d85hmTC-XL.jpg

The Potions classroom which today had a single flower placed outside...….of course when Alan Rickman died there were many flowers placed there for him......one of the TM told us occasionally and especially on his anniversary people do still lay them there.....nice touch......he is missed as he was a fabulous actor and seemingly all round nice guy...…if you`ve never seen the movie Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, you need to watch it......he is fabulous in it.....Kevin Costner, not so much, but Alan Rickman is the real star of this and absolutely steals the movie with every scene he is in....

i-czTGq42-XL.jpg

The greenhouse area is somewhere most folks love.....but to be honest it`s my least favourite area in Hogwarts or Harry Potter anywhere to be honest....I get it, it just doesn't thrill me like the rest of the areas impress......I think they could have done a lot more with it than they did.

i-tCkWXGm-XL.jpg

First statue you encounter inside is the Architect of Hogwarts...along with a miniature model of Hogwarts, he holds a symbol of each of the houses mascots.....the lion of Gryffindor, the eagle of Ravenclaw, the badger of Hufflepuff and of course Slytherin`s very own snake. The very first time we wandered through the regular line we heard someone say rather expertly he was Godric Gryffindor.….there were TM`s strategically placed at that time and one explained to everyone who he actually was and he wasn't who the man in line thought he was....

i-69BBCNC-XL.jpg

House points of course.....nice to see Gryffindor winning...….although I don't align myself to any house....I`m just not that kind of fan...….

i-gZqgNfm-XL.jpg

This is a statue of first man thought of as the headmaster, or really better known as one of the founders of Hogwarts as none of them ever actually held the title all those years ago. No one knows how he became known as the headmaster, but this statue is kept as a memory of him inside the castle.

i-pGczSzk-XL.jpg

There is a large Griffin protecting the entrance to Dumbledore`s office...….this is so impressive......and of course it`s so cute to hear children say "sherbet lemon" outside it...….it would have been lovely if you really could be propelled up to see the real office of Dumbledore, but of course time constraints and sheer numbers make this impossible.

i-R3S8dDM-XL.jpg

This was actually very beautiful in it`s own way......the unicorn Tapestry showing the unicorn is captive, but safe and alive...….

i-Wk3PGb3-XL.jpg

i-LtFphFg-XL.jpg

The portraits on the walls are tremendous and watching and listening to them is incredible.....how they`ve done it impresses us no end every time we walk though any of the lines.....I actually prefer the staircase in the EP line.....but this is still something so impressive to see...…

i-xWBbr4d-XL.jpg

i-vSJsvrK-XL.jpg

One of the highlights of the line is Dumbledore`s office...…incredibly popular for photo opportunities......the EP line has the better view as it`s closer but equally most people will hang back of you want to get a decent picture...….I think people understand how we all like our own pictures to look back on. Yes, you can get many online, but knowing and remembering the personal experiences captured in our pictures are very special to us and will continue to take pictures to record our travels...…

i-KTp7sQv-XL.jpg

i-n2NVZnm-XL.jpg

The Pensieve is quite distinctive......I did laugh to myself when I heard someone a few years ago ask why there was a little sink in the line......someone obviously not familiar with the stories...…but, in saying that, I think the genius of the Potter areas are ,you can thoroughly enjoy them all without any knowledge of the books or films whatsoever.....you may not know what everything is and what it may have been used for, but it has been so fantastically transformed from the books and movies that everything is a genuine joy to behold.

i-z2NnfSg-XL.jpg

i-wHnqP7N-XL.jpg

The defence against the dark arts classroom has the actual benches used in the films here......the hologram doesn't always capture as good as it should do......but this is a fun little stop too....don't just rush through the line.....

i-sxXZ6qW-XL.jpg

And of course, don't forget to look up.....

i-6rJgp3D-XL.jpg

i-m2JZHHX-XL.jpg

I loved this area...….the whole common room and how cosy it looks always appealed to me...strangely as a child I spent some years wishing I was at boarding school as some of my friends were.....I`m glad now I didn't of course, but blame the beautiful and exciting description of such places in children`s books I read often.....I`m not sure they ever made the USA but the author was Enid Blyton, a hugely popular writer for children many years ago, and as well as two series called the Famous Five and Secret Seven about children who were always having adventures, she wrote two series of books about boarding schools called Mallory Towers, and another called St Clare`s. They really made boarding schools sound so much fun.

So seeing the common room here it did evoke all sorts of memories of reading these books many times over.....

i-DfkKsZ9-XL.jpg

And of course the usually roaring fire where Sirius reveals himself and talks to Harry.....

i-2hCjHpH-XL.jpg

i-CHrK4Nb-XL.jpg

And one of my favourite little staircases where you can only imagine what rooms were supposed to be at the end of the spiral ascent...….

i-F2TVcjV-XL.jpg

i-2RC8jc4-XL.jpg

Once you have gone through this part of the line you reach the TM who send you to the ride.....here you can exit if you have no desire to ride and the stairs take you to where riders exit and you enter the gift shop of course...….

This store isn't very large, but has a plethora of objects and delights to enjoy looking at, or of course purchase from the rather large amount of items for a small store...….

i-TsTV5j6-XL.jpg

i-cdFs5qT-XL.jpg

i-C2qw8Lg-XL.jpg

i-k6zJTcv-XL.jpg

After we have a wander round the store, we head out and stand to take some pictures...….we are so in awe of the castle and how majestically is stands above the village of Hogsmeade...…

i-ZsDrWC7-XL.jpg

i-GsV8xGP-XL.jpg

Back to Hogsmeade next.……..

Last edited:
What memories your pictures invoke. I have many of the same but love seeing any photos of WWOHP. I haven't been in quite a while and am dying to get back and see all the newer additions. Someday....sigh. Meanwhile I'll live vicariously with the Carole, Tom and sometimes Kyle adventures.

What memories your pictures invoke. I have many of the same but love seeing any photos of WWOHP. I haven't been in quite a while and am dying to get back and see all the newer additions. Someday....sigh. Meanwhile I'll live vicariously with the Carole, Tom and sometimes Kyle adventures.

Thank you.....I’m glad you like the pictures........

Oh, I do hope you get back sooner rather than later :goodvibes ......but until you do, I love having you reading along with our little journeys, and I appreciate the comments a lot.........always nice to read........::yes::

It's been so long since I've been in the regular line... I don't remember a lot. Not going to do it at Christmas though. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter