Here now...complete mad house

I'm sorry to hear your vacation isn't turning out the way you had hoped. I suggest going to the beach and enjoying outdoor activities (but not hiking) so long as there's no lightning. You're going to get wet anyway, right? Just wrap your towels in a garbage bag and dive in. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

I was in Kapolei this morning and lines at the water park (a few miles from Aulani) at noon were at least 30-45 people deep. If the locals are out, that's a good indicator that there's fun to be had outdoors.

It's supposed to be unstable weather (I.e. pop up thunderstorms at any time) for the rest of the week, but there are still some fun things you can do on the cheap. If I had a friend or family member visiting I'd take them to the windward side of the island where you can see dozens of waterfalls after a heavy rain, work in a visit to Pali lookout and Byodo-In temple. Eat at Zippy's or Fresh Catch ($10-$15/person) the money you'll save on food might pay for the day's rental car.

We spent Sunday driving through the entire North Shore of the island and didn’t see much except for pockets of beaches. We did stop for a few things we thought looked interesting (which wasn’t much). Eventually we drove back and just found a nice beach to spend the a few hours at but wish we’d had a better plan. Everyone kept telling us to see the island drive along the North Shore. Can I ask where I would go to see multiple waterfalls without it being a hike? The windward area?

We spent Sunday driving through the entire North Shore of the island and didn’t see much except for pockets of beaches. We did stop for a few things we thought looked interesting (which wasn’t much). Eventually we drove back and just found a nice beach to spend the a few hours at but wish we’d had a better plan. Everyone kept telling us to see the island drive along the North Shore. Can I ask where I would go to see multiple waterfalls without it being a hike? The windward area?

Maui? We never saw random waterfalls when driving around so I can't help there. The ones I know of involve hikes and/or admission to a park. The windward side does have the most beautiful beaches, very different than the leeward side.

As for the North Shore, we loved walking around and dining in Haleiwa. We also enjoyed seeing the turtles and surfing at different points. We considered heading to Turtle Bay Resort for a meal but didn't have time. We enjoyed Waimea Valley, though its not my favorite attraction. The shrimp trucks and Matusmoto's are very unique, worthwhile stops. The North Shore for us was more about enjoying a less touristy, laidback type of vibe which we liked.

Thanks nkereina, I was referring to corgi-monster’s post above about seeing waterfalls in the windward area.

We just didn’t know what to do at North Shore other then stop and hang out on a random beach. You almost need a tour guide who really knows the cool spots. Lots of beach areas were crowded with no available parking.

Waimea falls does have an admission fee, but is a very easy paved walk. we went first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds. it was beautiful.

Can I ask where I would go to see multiple waterfalls without it being a hike? The windward area?

Windward side of the Koolau mountain range between Kailua and Kaneohe. The H-3 freeway is the fastest way to get there from Aulani and is a beautiful drive. The waterfalls don't flow all the time, only during and right after it rains. Google "Koolau waterfalls" to see some pretty good examples of what you can expect to see.

You almost need a tour guide who really knows the cool spots. Lots of beach areas were crowded with no available parking.
There are lots of free maps and booklets around the island to give you ideas in addition to numerous tourism books.

Did Manoa fall it was a beautiful hike. Eating lunch at Duke’s. Waikiki beach is one of the most crowded I’ve ever seen.

I swear I don’t complain this much my family is not that picky with food but our meals at Duke’s was terrible. Not one of us had a dish we liked. I would recommend avoiding.

We have been to Dukes several times and the last time we went all of our food was so salty it was almost inedible. You are not the only one!

Was told no movie nights this week while we’re here due to “other events occupying the lawn. There is almost nothing to do here at night. Major oversight when designing this resort.

Thanks nkereina, I was referring to corgi-monster’s post above about seeing waterfalls in the windward area.

We just didn’t know what to do at North Shore other then stop and hang out on a random beach. You almost need a tour guide who really knows the cool spots. Lots of beach areas were crowded with no available parking.

Gotcha. Yes, I could see where one may be disappointed in the North Shore if they are looking to stumble upon nature sights. Like I said above, for us it was about exploring the town, dining, along with taking in some of the sights at those random beaches. I had a plan of places I wanted to stop at there so we weren't driving aimlessly, but that level of planning is in my nature. I would think the windward side may be better in general for driving without direction, hoping to stumble upon unique things.

I swear I don’t complain this much my family is not that picky with food but our meals at Duke’s was terrible. Not one of us had a dish we liked. I would recommend avoiding.

What? This is surprising to me as we eat here often. The cheeseburgers are awesome as is the Huli Huli chicken. Salad bar at Breakfast is very good. I will admit the Lunch buffet we pass on.

Was told no movie nights this week while we’re here due to “other events occupying the lawn. There is almost nothing to do here at night. Major oversight when designing this resort.

I wouldn't expect the most child-friendly resort to have a fair amount of evening activities. I don't think it's oversight. I think it's Disney's expectation that families will be winding down and getting ready for bed by a certain time.

I wouldn't expect the most child-friendly resort to have a fair amount of evening activities. I don't think it's oversight. I think it's Disney's expectation that families will be winding down and getting ready for bed by a certain time.

Also for us it's a 6 hour time difference. When we are at Aulani we find we are beat by 9pm and ready to just wind down and enjoy a drink on the balcony in the room :)

Disney cruise has loads of family activities from 6:00 on clear till 12:00 midnight. People are on vacation and plenty want to have something to do at night other then watching dvd’s in their hotel room.

Disney cruise has loads of family activities from 6:00 on clear till 12:00 midnight. People are on vacation and plenty want to have something to do at night other then watching dvd’s in their hotel room.

Cruise ships are designed to be chocked full of entertainment. Also, if nightlife is important to you, then Aulani was a poor choice.

It’s definitely mellowed out. Busy of course but manageable more like I expected. It’s the weather that’s disappointing we’re on our second rainy day. On a Disney cruise when it rains you have several things to do indoors here you really don’t. So if the rain keeps up you’re kind of out of luck just trapped inside.
Bummer. I liked our Hawaii trip, but it was a grown-up trip to Maui, very much about seeing nature and enjoying a little luxury. This thread confirms that I can't see myself wanting to deal with Disney-type hassles (crowds, kids, customer service issues, etc.) in Hawaii, or even just staying in Oahu, which would not be a Hawaiian island I'd choose. I really hope your trip works out for you, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter