Here now...complete mad house

Bummer. I liked our Hawaii trip, but it was a grown-up trip to Maui, very much about seeing nature and enjoying a little luxury. This thread confirms that I can't see myself wanting to deal with Disney-type hassles (crowds, kids, customer service issues, etc.) in Hawaii, or even just staying in Oahu, which would not be a Hawaiian island I'd choose. I really hope your trip works out for you, though.
we split our trip this year between Maui and Aulani. Have been to Aulani before. But it was a very hard transition (for me in particular) after the relaxation etc of our Maui stay. My kids still love Aulani best, but it is overcrowded and expensive. And the fact that even (most) of the pools shut down at 8 is too early.

Majority of the pools closing at 6:00 this week not 8. At peak time. During peak prices.

Is your wifi working, cuz it was down last week? so i'm curious if they got it fixed. On the plus side, we went to the new luau and loved it.

Hawaii, in general, doesn't offer much to do at night other than dining, shopping, and bars. I face the same issue when I visit the outer islands. Like Midoria mentioned, most visitors, even those without children, sleep early so they can wake up early to enjoy daylight activities. You're also staying on the west side of the island where many locals wake up at 4am to be on the road for a looooong, traffic-filled commute.

There are a couple of movie theaters at Kapolei crossroads and Ka Makana Alii (a mall) with reclining seats. I'd estimate an Uber would cost $10-$20 each way. if you eat dinner at the mall your savings will more than pay for the uber ride.

There are a couple of movie theaters at Kapolei crossroads and Ka Makana Alii (a mall) with reclining seats. I'd estimate an Uber would cost $10-$20 each way. if you eat dinner at the mall your savings will more than pay for the uber ride.
I thought about suggesting this, but I assumed the OP wanted on-site entertainment so I took it out of my last post. I always enjoyed going to movies at Consolidated and a nice dinner afterward.

Really appreciate all the insights and suggestions everyone. We’re having a wonderful sunny day here which was must needed. Have been at the beach all day. Going to Paradise Cove Luau tonight so hope the rain stays away.

How was the Paradise Cove Luau? We are considering the Germain Luau. Any recommendations between the two?

So sorry to hear about your bad experience so far! Since it is rainy season from usually November until March, I'm not surprised you are getting some rain although I've heard it's been a little more so this season. (Dry season is usually April - November so hopefully it will stop raining soon!). I know you planned 2 years in advance but Mother Nature has her own schedule. Glad you did get a sunny day to enjoy the beach/pools!

Easter/Spring Break is typically going to be busy at the resort but I hope it gets less busy throughout the rest of your stay. Movie nights are typically only one or two nights a week at Aulani mostly because the luau is scheduled 4 nights of the week.

Can you share why you chose Paradise Cove Luau over Aulani's? Just curious....

Don’t know if you’ve read the whole thread but crowds mellowed out and have been fine during the week.

“Can you share why you chose Paradise Cove Luau over Aulani's? Just curious..”

Just wanted to get off property one evening. Saw it was on the beach and seemed much more open then Disney’s which looked a little cramped. Also was a lot less expensive. We had a great time. Food was good and it was a beautiful Luau. Kids were tired by the end and ready to head in.

We are hopping over from Maui tomorrow. I’m a little worried after reading this thread :(
we were in Maui for a week, then hopped to Aulani. Got home a few days ago. For whatever its worth, the weather at Aulani was better than Maui when we were there. I'm in MN now, and we got 9 inches of snow on Monday. I would give anything to go back now :) so I'm jealous. have fun!

I agree with the posters who said nightlife in Hawaii is few and far between. I don't expect it at Aulani because, as mentioned, it's a family resort and also in secluded Ko Olina. But even during our stays in Maui and Kauai, there wasn't much to be found. What ended up working best for us was waking up early to start then day and then heading back to our room after dinner and a drink. We would watch movies or Netflix on our iPad and go to bed somewhat early (10pm-ish). And coming from the east coast, the time change naturally had us up early and to bed early during our first few days as well.

When my children were school age and younger we would vacation on Maui sat the Grand Wailea. Back then, and even now (I just looked it up) there were scheduled activities every evening from 5 to 10pm. Activities like Walkie Talkie tag or scavenger hunts were scheduled every week, and they added in things like movies on the lawn or star gazing with telescopes. I think most big resorts were doing that sort of thing. I’m surprised the Aulani doesn’t do similar things.

we were in Maui for a week, then hopped to Aulani. Got home a few days ago. For whatever its worth, the weather at Aulani was better than Maui when we were there. I'm in MN now, and we got 9 inches of snow on Monday. I would give anything to go back now :) so I'm jealous. have fun!

We've had pretty good weather--a little voggy (as they call it), and a couple light showers. We had one night of heavy rain, but we were in that night so barely noticed. This morning was a little blah, but it seems to be clearing out. We are in Wailea and are usually spoiled with the best weather in Hawaii so it's been a little unusual to even see rain, LOL. I'll cross my fingers the weather at Aulani keeps improving. Thank you!!

When my children were school age and younger we would vacation on Maui sat the Grand Wailea. Back then, and even now (I just looked it up) there were scheduled activities every evening from 5 to 10pm. Activities like Walkie Talkie tag or scavenger hunts were scheduled every week, and they added in things like movies on the lawn or star gazing with telescopes. I think most big resorts were doing that sort of thing. I’m surprised the Aulani doesn’t do similar things.

Funny, that you mention the Grand Wailea--that's where we are now (the condo part), and that's what i was comparing the previous comments to as well. There seems to always be something going on at the resort. It will be interesting to compare.

“I’m surprised the Aulani doesn’t do similar things.”

So are we. We did not come here for nightlife we came for beach life during the day but when it’s 7:30 and the pools are closed and there literally is not one activity to do except eat dinner that’s a problem. If the resort was hopping at 6 in the morning then you could say go to bed early and wake up early but they don’t open till 8. I just expected something. A fun family party at night, movies on the lawn etc. They advertise the movies and then don’t play them at peak time it’s didappointing. My kids are 10 and 13 and aren’t ready to turn in at 7:30

“I’m surprised the Aulani doesn’t do similar things.”

So are we. We did not come here for nightlife we came for beach life during the day but when it’s 7:30 and the pools are closed and there literally is not one activity to do except eat dinner that’s a problem. If the resort was hopping at 6 in the morning then you could say go to bed early and wake up early but they don’t open till 8. I just expected something. A fun family party at night, movies on the lawn etc. They advertise the movies and then don’t play them at peak time it’s didappointing. My kids are 10 and 13 and aren’t ready to turn in at 7:30
My kids are the same age . . I totally get it. We don't want night life, but we were in the pools until 8. I would be disappointed too.

We've had pretty good weather--a little voggy (as they call it), and a couple light showers. We had one night of heavy rain, but we were in that night so barely noticed. This morning was a little blah, but it seems to be clearing out. We are in Wailea and are usually spoiled with the best weather in Hawaii so it's been a little unusual to even see rain, LOL. I'll cross my fingers the weather at Aulani keeps improving. Thank you!!

Funny, that you mention the Grand Wailea--that's where we are now (the condo part), and that's what i was comparing the previous comments to as well. There seems to always be something going on at the resort. It will be interesting to compare.
we were at a Marriott near Lahaina. But I am keeping this resort in my notes for our next trip. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter