HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
AussieCaribou - we attended the Disneyland Halloween Party in 2013 and absolutely loved it. It was so much fun. At home, we are lucky to have maybe 2 kids knock on our door lol.

Tlovesdis - Thanks for the heads up :), we might just add an extra day or two so we can enjoy the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. I think they will be closed when we arrive for overlays.

Xxpinksaltxx, I've been in Aus for 19 years. Not one trick or treater in all that time (sigh). I thought that the parents of my cub pack were going to burn me at the stake when I had a Halloween dress up party (which was very successful and ran for years with the parents joining in...lol).

DD and I were at the party in 2013 too! Absolutely, loved it too!

Good news to those wanting to wear Halloween Costumes to a MHP.

I was speaking with the convention reservations CM today. I asked about the NEW policy regarding NO costumes for those 14 and older.
She looked up the new policy and said as she reads it, costumes are OK for those 14 and older. Just not masks.
The information listed in the age related sections are just fine tuning for the main Costume Guidelines.
that is great info Geemo

I can't wait myself. My friend Christine already has the dates she wants to go to MHP. We are both going to dress up as cats.

That would be awesome if they were allowed! I just wonder why they would say themed tshirts, sweatshirts, etc. specifically in the 14 and older guidelines if costumes were allowed for adults? It seems like the rules are very specific and almost say, "well you can't wear costumes, but you can wear themed tshirts etc."

Edited to add: I wonder why they didn't have the same wording as WDW if they are in fact allowing costumes for adults? The WDW guidelines are pretty clear on what is allowed for adults vs what is allowed for children.

I'm just worried that I'll show up in costume and be denied entry. It's hard to get a flat, across the board answer anymore. What one cast member says is allowed might not be what the cast members/security at the front gates say, know what I mean?

Not doubting you, Geemo. Just thinking out loud! ;)

I actually went through WDW and DLR's guidelines a few days ago, and the points are all actually the same, just listed in a different order . Some of DLR's sentence are listed in point format over at WDW, and some of the age-specific points are listed under the general guidelines and such. WDW's even includes the line about themed t-shirts. The only point that does not match, is just worded differently ("Guests who dress like characters may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests." vs. "All guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.") Everything else is an identical match.

My feeling is that this policy is just so Disney can point to it as reasoning, so they can do more thorough searches, or even deny entry, when they feel safety might be a concern- and I'm totally fine with that. I think that the majority of costumes that I've seen in the past won't be an issue.

Last edited:
I actually went through WDW and DLR's guidelines a few days ago, and the points are all actually the same, just listed in a different order . Some of DLR's sentence are listed in point format over at WDW, and some of the age-specific points are listed under the general guidelines and such. WDW's even includes the line about themed t-shirts. The only point that does not match, is just worded differently ("Guests who dress like characters may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests." vs. "All guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.") Everything else is an identical match.

My feeling is that this policy is just so Disney can point to it as reasoning, so they can do more thorough searches, or even deny entry, when they feel safety might be a concern- and I'm totally fine with that. I think that the majority of costumes that I've seen in the past won't be an issue.

I'm just a Debbie-downer and am still doubtful. I think I'll be skeptical until the blog post goes up and (hopefully) specifically states "All guests are allowed to dress up as their favorite character...". I truly hope I'm wrong! :)

I'm just thankful that we're not going the first couple of party nights. We can get feedback on whether to pack another checked suitcase for the flight with our costumes or not for the parties later in October.

I'm starting to feel crazy...you see I had read and reread to WDW costume guidlines many times since I assumed DLR would get the same ones. I could have sworn I hadn't read anything about "themed shirts" since, let's face it that sounds like disneybounding and not real costumes to me. Was it always there? Maybe I'm losing it?

I'm starting to feel crazy...you see I had read and reread to WDW costume guidlines many times since I assumed DLR would get the same ones. I could have sworn I hadn't read anything about "themed shirts" since, let's face it that sounds like disneybounding and not real costumes to me. Was it always there? Maybe I'm losing it?

I don't think that you are losing it, Kindermouse. I feel the exact same way. I have been holding off on building my costumes because I wasn't sure what I would be able to do. DD and I have decided that we have to start now...so it will be Disney bounding for us. We are happy with our choices but I still would have loved to get a photo of Darth Vader with my DD dressed in a Vader cheerleader outfit. Oh well...

How much does the UEA (Utah educators meeting) affect October crowds? This thread mentioned it as a time when Utah kids have a long weekend and many travel to DLR. We are hoping to come over that weekend for our first Halloween trip because my kids have an odd day off there. Does this really affect the crowds? Thanks!

Happy 4th of July everyone!!! I will have photos up this week from my new costumes this week. I will also post some photos I took from last years season of Halloween candy

How much does the UEA (Utah educators meeting) affect October crowds? This thread mentioned it as a time when Utah kids have a long weekend and many travel to DLR. We are hoping to come over that weekend for our first Halloween trip because my kids have an odd day off there. Does this really affect the crowds? Thanks!

The weekend is is what will be a problem, crowd wise.
We've been there twice during UEA time. The parks were every crowded.
But I have no idea how many were actually from Utah.

I feel school schedules do affect how people plan their trips to DLR.
When my grandkids were in elementary school we would pull them for a trip.
With them in middle and high school now, I have to plan DLR trips according to the school calendar.

It means going during busier times but at least they still want to go with me.

Knowing UEA may influence park crowds, book and plan your trip. Go and have FUN!
There really aren't many times you can experience a somewhat empty park, with walk on rides.

Enjoy
Geemo

We've been there during UEA (I read about it, but totally forgot when we booked our trip and forgot when we were there) and honestly, we couldn't tell any difference. It was pretty busy, but nothing that we weren't expecting for the time frame. The only way that I realized that we were there during UEA was when we got home and I saw something on one of the forums about it. I wouldn't worry too much about it! :)

We've been there during UEA (I read about it, but totally forgot when we booked our trip and forgot when we were there) and honestly, we couldn't tell any difference. It was pretty busy, but nothing that we weren't expecting for the time frame. The only way that I realized that we were there during UEA was when we got home and I saw something on one of the forums about it. I wouldn't worry too much about it! :)
We were there during that time also, and didn't really notice a huge difference in crowds.

Am I seeing something wrong? The guidelines are now up and confirm costumes are okay! I just need to make sure my 18th century inspired Ariel dress doesn't touch or drag on the ground... :)

Thanks so much to all who answered my question about UEA! You are all always so informative and quick!!! I think we will just plan the trip and go with it! We were last at DLR in May of 2014, and there were quite a few refurbs going on then to get ready for the 60th anniversary, so it felt more crowded than it probably was. Hopefully this will be no worse. I agree that it sounds like there are no "low" times to visit anymore, so we will prepare for it and have fun! Thanks again so much for your information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter