HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that a loss of fireworks would impact party attendance. The halloween party in particular is already offering less than they used to and the with the fate of full on costumes being a bit murky losing fireworks would be too much to take away for the price of the ticket. WDW halloween parties have a full parade, a special villains show and no huge construction issues and loss of the water related effects and special offerings-they could lose a couple things and still be worth the cost of the ticket...not sure how true that is for DLR halloween parties.

I was buying tickets for a convention at Disneyland and came across this note

"On select nights from Sept 23 to Oct 31, Disneyland Park will be closing early to host Mickey’s Halloween Party. Separate admission is required. During Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland Park, there’s so much delightful and frightful family fun! This sensational seasonal event, part of Halloween Time at Disneyland Park. You’re invited to dress up your little ones, don a costume of your own, and trick-or-treat at the ultimate neighborhood—Disneyland Park! Tickets go on sale to general public on July 28."

Information for Disney events is notoriously inaccurate until the Parks Blog makes an official announcement (like that costume info might be old) BUT I noticed the dates are slightly different from last year's dates so maybe this helps for planning purposes for those watching for ticket sales to start.

"On select nights from Sept 23 to Oct 31, Disneyland Park will be closing early to host Mickey’s Halloween Party. Separate admission is required. During Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland Park, there’s so much delightful and frightful family fun! This sensational seasonal event, part of Halloween Time at Disneyland Park. You’re invited to dress up your little ones, don a costume of your own, and trick-or-treat at the ultimate neighborhood—Disneyland Park! Tickets go on sale to general public on July 28."

Information for Disney events is notoriously inaccurate until the Parks Blog makes an official announcement (like that costume info might be old) BUT I noticed the dates are slightly different from last year's dates so maybe this helps for planning purposes for those watching for ticket sales to start.

Ooh good find! The dates do seem to line up with this year (September 23 is a Friday). I guess we'll find out pretty soon if this is correct!

@mom2rtk - when are you thinking of going this Fall? We are headed to DL 10/21-10/29 with the family it would be fun to run into you again! Last time was Dec 2013....my first Christmas trip and I was 13 weeks pregnant with my now 2-year old son! This will be our first time during Halloween time since 2007 I think (I'll have to check my signature, lol) and first time with the kiddos. Hoping the week I chose won't be too crazy busy, we've been enjoying the week prior to Thanksgiving's low crowds the last couple years, but can't go that late since our AP's expire at the beginning of that week (we won't be renewing).

There would not be a logistical need to cancel fireworks as the new platform will be constructed in a different location north of the existing platform. It would not make sense to destroy one platform before the other is built as one platform needs to be in place in the event of construction setbacks.

With the existing platform in place and functional, safety and cost-saving measures are two clear reasons why Disneyland would stop the displays. Safety is already addressed as construction crews in the future Star Wars Land footprint and the 60th Celebration fireworks are co-existing nicely. Maybe exposed building materials would be a fire risk, but IDK, that reasoning is a little dodgy since construction will continue to go on for the next 18-24 months and trees have always been in the current fallout zone.

That leaves money. If this were the case, budget cutbacks would most likely affect Disneyland Forever, not the special event fireworks. Disney would lose more in attendance and revenue if they stopped the Halloween or the Christmas fireworks than if they canceled weekend displays in February...March... Attendees have an expectation to see fireworks at Christmas and during the Halloween events, but not so much during the off-season months.

Yes, I am completely speculating, but I haven't seen any credible source to prove why they would purposely undercut the busiest attendance season of the year.

I've heard that it has to do with the fall out of the fireworks. The new platforms are needed so that SWL can be left open while the fireworks are running (ToonTown and Fantasyland dark rides have to close due to fire safety reasons). So, if there is a fire safety issue once the land is built, why wouldn't there be while the land is being built? The cost of the land is huge, I can't imagine that the bean counters would be happy to have the land opening delayed because the partially build attractions burn down...

I've heard that it has to do with the fall out of the fireworks. The new platforms are needed so that SWL can be left open while the fireworks are running (ToonTown and Fantasyland dark rides have to close due to fire safety reasons). So, if there is a fire safety issue once the land is built, why wouldn't there be while the land is being built? The cost of the land is huge, I can't imagine that the bean counters would be happy to have the land opening delayed because the partially build attractions burn down...

Disney and the fire marshals follow safety procedures to ensure the risk is low enough to display fireworks near the current construction zone. Structural materials are treated with fire retardants, so I don't consider partially-constructed attractions to be the greatest issue when considering Disney has always done fireworks around fire-risk areas (hence my prior reference to the wooded areas within the fallout zone).

As far as the cost of damaging construction in SWL because the work area is near the platform, they are taking the same damage risk now because the launching platform is located between their own buildings (in the blue circle). Anything near that zone would have to absorb great explosive energy if it all fails.

Edited to add: I forgot that this discussion is going on in the Halloween thread! D'oh! So, also consider scheduling if the construction requires a fireworks shut down for an extended period. Project managers *can* schedule a block of time around dates that would be best suited for the company. For example, if they need "six months", then start the project in January and run it out to June. Don't start the project so it impacts Oct - December. Those are big special event months. Work on projects near the southern end of SWL this fall and switch over to the northern corner in January. Just my .02!

[Pirated *arrrrrr!* image of Disneyland fireworks launch platform (blue) and fallout zone (red).]

Disneylandfireworksfalloutzone.jpg

Last edited:
@mom2rtk - when are you thinking of going this Fall? We are headed to DL 10/21-10/29 with the family it would be fun to run into you again! Last time was Dec 2013....my first Christmas trip and I was 13 weeks pregnant with my now 2-year old son! This will be our first time during Halloween time since 2007 I think (I'll have to check my signature, lol) and first time with the kiddos. Hoping the week I chose won't be too crazy busy, we've been enjoying the week prior to Thanksgiving's low crowds the last couple years, but can't go that late since our AP's expire at the beginning of that week (we won't be renewing).

We still have not committed on dates. Right now we're leaning toward the week before Thanksgiving but anything or everything could still change. Heck, if the fireworks rumor turns out to be true we might still ditch it all and head for WDW.

We were at DLR 10/23 to 10/30 last year and had a great time. Crowds on the weekends were high, but T-Th was heavenly. I think as far as October goes, that last week is probably as good as it gets.

I can't believe your baby is 2 already! I'm so glad we got to meet you when we were there that year, and I can't believe that was almost 3 years ago.

Sorry if this has already been asked- I couldn't find an answer- Are the MHP tickets purchased by phone only? Also we'll have a two yr old- I know he's free to get into the parks on a regular day, will that be the case for the party too?

Sorry if this has already been asked- I couldn't find an answer- Are the MHP tickets purchased by phone only? Also we'll have a two yr old- I know he's free to get into the parks on a regular day, will that be the case for the party too?
No you can go online when they become avalible. I'm not sure about the 2 year old

I had a feeling they would start the parties on this night rather than waiting for the last Friday in September. I hope it's correct cause we will be there the 25th-28th and would LOVE to check out a party

Last year I bought some for a friend using my Disney Visa discount and to get that discount I did have to do it by phone. not sure if it is the same to get the AP discount.

Last year I bought some for a friend using my Disney Visa discount and to get that discount I did have to do it by phone. not sure if it is the same to get the AP discount.
ooo... I forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. Last year I had an AP, so could buy online and get the discount. I was all set to use the funds in my DVA, but looks like the charges will have to go on my Visa.

So what are your Halloween costume ideas. My kids are pushing for Alvin, Simon, Theodore and my husband being Dave. I think its cute but I always prefer to stay Disney so we will see what we end up with in a bout a month.

Has anybody done the party on Halloween night? I know I'm looking at crazy high prices but what about crowds? Is the park jam packed with people like a summer day?

Has anybody done the party on Halloween night? I know I'm looking at crazy high prices but what about crowds? Is the park jam packed with people like a summer day?

We have gone on Halloween night the last two years. It did jump between the two years, I paid $84/ticket last year for the party. I didn't think it was packed at all. It was like a lighter summer day at Disneyland. Not empty but lines were light or walk ons for a lot including POTC. Some people think it's packed but I think they expected it to be a ghost town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!