Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

Also, wanted to share our experience with the ride on Saturday and Sunday.
We entered the ride entrance at 11.40 on Saturday (I know exactly because the TM at the entrance gave us a "time tracker" piece of paper to hand in as we boarded the ride). The posted wait was 4 hours, but there was no line outside of the main ride entrance, we walked straight to the back of Hagrid's hut which was where the line started. We were inside the ride building in about 30 minutes, and then we waited while they added more ride vehicles (probably about 30 minutes without moving). After we passed the Arthur and Hagrid screen we kept on moving, but we had frequent stops as the ride was down, and about a 45 minute delay (which they announced). We were on the ride after about 4 hours. Without the stops it would have been more like 2 hours.
On Sunday, about noon the wait was posted at 3 hours, but the line was even shorter than the day before and we joined right after the first snack stop by Hagrid's hut. Moved pretty consistently, only one very brief stop in the last room, and we were on and off in about 2 hours (before the rain started !).
Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Edited to add: the single rider line was intermittently open and closed, it started way inside the ride entrance, by Hagrid's hut. The TM manning the line on Sunday said there was no guarantee it would be any quicker than the regular line, but the line seemed to be moving pretty quickly in the last room before you board the ride.

Last edited:
My boys got in line yesterday around 11:45. Posted wait time was 3hrs, but the TM at the entrance said single rider was 1.5hrs and they went that route. My wife and I went and ate lunch at Mythos and took our time. After lunch, we walked the back way up to the exit for Hagrid and watched the portion of the track you can see by the exit. Within 15 min we saw our boys riding. Total time was probably 1.5hrs or close to it. They both enjoyed it and everyone coming off seemed to be thrilled. As was mentioned above, my son said one portion of the queue was horrible. Going down a narrow staircase, 1 step at a time, and very hot/uncomfortable. Rains started an hour later and I saw the ride was again delayed.

Can anyone who has ridden that may not be a rollercoaster fan (I.e doesn’t like drops) tell me how intense the ride was as far as that goes? The biggest rollercoaster I have ridden is probably The Mummy (LOVE it though) and I ride all the Disney coasters with no problem except for Everest (afraid of heights and the big drop) and Rockin Rollercoaster. I really want to ride at our upcoming September trip since everyone says it’s so cool, but I hate drops and I do not like being stuck on an attraction and freaking out, especially a long one like Hagrids.

I don't think the mummy gets over looked by most people unless you are one of those people that can only have interest in HP.

I always feel a twinge when someone comes on and states their only interest at universal is potter stuff. They are short changing themselves so much.

The Mummy is amazing, one of my favourite rides for sure. I can't really compare it to this ride though as this one looks thrilling in a completely different way.

Does anyone know why this new ride was built with an outside element????
I'm genuinely curious....In Florida with crazy storms/lightening? With HPotter popularity and extreme high demand? Who thought that was a good idea,lol???

I realize that the DD coaster was outside, but since that was all torn down, a whole new opportunity existed.
It seems the weather has been a huge factor in Hagrid's operation since it's recent opening.
And will lead to continual weird time fluctuations, since no one can control the weather.

Two words. Forbidden Forest.

I know that you can technically create an artificial forest and probably do a great job, but I think the 'ol natural look looks quite brilliant (as Daniel Radcliffe loves to say) and looks quite amazing from the photos and video I've seen of it. And quite honestly it's a breath of fresh air (no pun intended) how many trees they've put back onto a piece of land that used to be all concrete for the most part.

It isn't the first ride to be open with outside elements and it won't be the last I'm sure.

I'm genuinely curious....In Florida with crazy storms/lightening? With HPotter popularity and extreme high demand? Who thought that was a good idea,lol???

I realize that the DD coaster was outside, but since that was all torn down, a whole new opportunity existed.
It seems the weather has been a huge factor in Hagrid's operation since it's recent opening.
And will lead to continual weird time fluctuations, since no one can control the weather.

I just think there is a big difference with what you can do with an indoor vs outdoor ride. With both of the other major HP rides being indoor I'm glad that this is more of an outdoor coaster.

Two words. Forbidden Forest.

I know that you can technically create an artificial forest and probably do a great job, but I think the 'ol natural look looks quite brilliant (as Daniel Radcliffe loves to say) and looks quite amazing from the photos and video I've seen of it. And quite honestly it's a breath of fresh air (no pun intended) how many trees they've put back onto a piece of land that used to be all concrete for the most part.

It isn't the first ride to be open with outside elements and it won't be the last I'm sure.
I just think there is a big difference with what you can do with an indoor vs outdoor ride. With both of the other major HP rides being indoor I'm glad that this is more of an outdoor coaster.

Thank you for those perspectives! Those were helpful!
I was mainly focused on the fact that weather will impact the ability to keep the ride functioning during certain weather events.

An indoor coaster has a very small footprint and the number of elements involved is very limited. The track on an indoor coaster generally overlaps a lot which would make a Forbidden Forest atmosphere quite difficult.

Thank you for those perspectives! Those were helpful!
I was mainly focused on the fact that weather will impact the ability to keep the ride functioning during certain weather events.

I hear ya, I'm going in August but with a toddler and my wife and I are already assuming we won't get on the ride despite having close to 4 days there between rain and wait times but will cross my fingers (crossing my fingers express pass is open by then but I doubt it).

Ultimately the ride will be around for 20 years and the wait time issues will decrease but having an awesome ride is paramount. If the wait time is over 2 hours a few years from now its because something went right not wrong.

I hear ya, I'm going in August but with a toddler and my wife and I are already assuming we won't get on the ride despite having close to 4 days there between rain and wait times but will cross my fingers (crossing my fingers express pass is open by then but I doubt it).

Ultimately the ride will be around for 20 years and the wait time issues will decrease but having an awesome ride is paramount. If the wait time is over 2 hours a few years from now its because something went right not wrong.
I hope you're able to ride and have a great trip!

I was in the parks all day today and Hagrids was down most of the day (not for weather). It came online for a bit around 8pm with a 160 min wait, but quickly got to capacity before we could get in line. I am willing to wait in line to ride this ride, but it seems almost impossible. By the time we could get there after it opened it was at capacity. Any tips? We have 2 more says to try. Staying onsite at Royal pacific. My plan was to arrive at 5 am to wait in line, but no point in doing that with the mid-day opening... right?

I was in the parks all day today and Hagrids was down most of the day (not for weather). It came online for a bit around 8pm with a 160 min wait, but quickly got to capacity before we could get in line. I am willing to wait in line to ride this ride, but it seems almost impossible. By the time we could get there after it opened it was at capacity. Any tips? We have 2 more says to try. Staying onsite at Royal pacific. My plan was to arrive at 5 am to wait in line, but no point in doing that with the mid-day opening... right?
I'm getting a little discouraged about our 7/27 trip. I'm hoping the kinks will work out quickly!

Can anyone who has ridden that may not be a rollercoaster fan (I.e doesn’t like drops) tell me how intense the ride was as far as that goes? The biggest rollercoaster I have ridden is probably The Mummy (LOVE it though) and I ride all the Disney coasters with no problem except for Everest (afraid of heights and the big drop) and Rockin Rollercoaster. I really want to ride at our upcoming September trip since everyone says it’s so cool, but I hate drops and I do not like being stuck on an attraction and freaking out, especially a long one like Hagrids.
Not a huge coaster fan. My limit is RnRC, I also love Mummy. You will love this one

Not a huge coaster fan. My limit is RnRC, I also love Mummy. You will love this one
the only coaster I do is 7DMT, I have done the mummy and everest and don't like either. what are my chances of liking this one? It looks awesome except for the going backwards part, which i didn't like on everest but I was also not prepared to go backwards.

I'm getting a little discouraged about our 7/27 trip. I'm hoping the kinks will work out quickly!

I would imagine a month and a week should be good time for them to work most of it out. However, there might be a minor incident here and there. As I remember a couple times being on FJ and it would hesitate a little bit while on the ride between a month, or two after the grand opening.

Weather will still be unpredictable and you will still have the crowds, especially since people are speculating that Disney's GE might spike attendance as well, since people who often go to Disney, also go to Universal.

But all in all, I think in terms of an technical aspect it should be relatively good, if not, something else is wrong that we don't know about.

We are planning a trip in August and were thinking of doing 1.75 days at the Universal Parks WITHOUT FOTL access. I don't want to move hotels and I am hopeful that being there mid to late August, and during the week, might work out for us for most of the other rides. We would love, of course, to try to ride Hagrids but we'll have to see if we can work that out. I'm going to keep checking back to see how lines and wait times progress for the next two months.

Anybody in the parks who would be willing to mail me a map ? We were there this weekend, and I got my souvenir map with Hagrid's ride on the cover, and it got soaked (just like me!) on Sunday on our way out of the park and I couldn't get another.

I would be glad to, but unfortunately I cannot send you a private message until you've made a certain number of posts, I think?

the only coaster I do is 7DMT, I have done the mummy and everest and don't like either. what are my chances of liking this one? It looks awesome except for the going backwards part, which i didn't like on everest but I was also not prepared to go backwards.

I found the backwards section on Hagrid to be much gentler than on Everest. It's not trying to whip you around or scare you - your path while going backwards is relatively straight and slows down as you go along. The ride in general is not about startling or frightening you. It's fast, and there are a few sharp-ish turns, but it's all very smooth and, other than one brief moment, in general the ride is not trying to catch you off guard or throw you around the way most other thrill rides do.

For example, when it reverses direction to go backwards, it's an incredibly smooth transition: I think every other ride I've done with a backwards section will hold you up at the top in suspense for a while (while the track is switching) and then drop you without warning and then try to catch you off guard with a bunch of jerky turns you can't see coming - but Hagrid's is not like that at all! You go up the slope and then immediately come down with gravity again - there's no big dramatic pause at the top or "gotcha" moment of release like on Everest or other rides with that element, and the backwards section is honestly more of just a transition to get you into the next storytelling area.

I would highly recommend going for it! And that goes for everyone! Unless you hate faster rides in any way shape or form, I think you have a high chance of this going well. If someone is so bothered by faster rides that, say, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train or the end section of Test Track is too much intensity for them, then, no, this might not be great for them, but beyond that, I would truly recommend to everyone to give this ride a shot!

At UO yesterday and today. Yesterday they started letting people into the queue just after 11 am initial wait time was 4 hours. The ride closed around 3 pm and did not reopen until around 8:20 pm. Wait was 2 hrs and shortly after went to capacity. We did not ride and will probably not ride today as we will not hang around for hours hoping to get a chance to ride. No rain at all yesterday to cause a delay. Leaves me to speculate that maybe something is overheating with use or outside temperature?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter