Grand Californian Super Thread

Do the rooms come equipped with mini fridges? Trying to plot out my grocery order. Thanks 🥰

We are staying at GCH in March and have the DTD view room. I've read to request by Napa Rose elevators, but when I'm looking it seems like maybe the DTD views in that room are mainly of the empty parking lot tram area. Is the view better for the DTD wing that the lobby elevators service?

I have a woods courtyard view room, is there any special requests I should make when checking in? (best monorail view etc??) First time staying at GCH and very excited!

I'm dropping my bags to the hotel around 9am before heading to Knotts for the day, so hoping to get in early with a room request if you guys can suggest any :)

Def need to ensure we have two beds and not a sleeper, that's the number one priority.

We are staying at GCH in March and have the DTD view room. I've read to request by Napa Rose elevators, but when I'm looking it seems like maybe the DTD views in that room are mainly of the empty parking lot tram area. Is the view better for the DTD wing that the lobby elevators service?
I totally get this logic. The only DTD view we have had was in the wing from the Napa Rose elevators. Sometimes it was an upgrade from woods/courtyard, even. Basically you are above the World of Disney Store. Yes you look toward the Tram area, but there are alot of trees on the north side of the main walkway to obscure the view of that area. The DTD view is all about people watching immediately below your balcony, in my opinion, and you will have no shortage of it in either location. The balconies are wide open to the walkways below.

My only beef with the DTD view is not the view in either wing, but the noise. You can hear the trams and any nighttime entertainment going on below. In that regard, I'm not sure if either wing is more quiet. We had an actual sleep machine in those days, and we could still hear tram horns and announcements over it. The patio doors are really good at sealing off noise... but just not 100%. At peak times, there is ALOT of nighttime entertainment in DTD late into the night (midnight?).

I have a woods courtyard view room, is there any special requests I should make when checking in? (best monorail view etc??) First time staying at GCH and very excited!

I'm dropping my bags to the hotel around 9am before heading to Knotts for the day, so hoping to get in early with a room request if you guys can suggest any :)

Def need to ensure we have two beds and not a sleeper, that's the number one priority.
Woods/Courtyard is not restricted to the monorail courtyard. There are plenty of them in the wings near Napa Rose, and many of them look into DCA with a view slightly obstructed by "woods". It's just enough to not qualify as a "theme park view".

Since you are checking in early, I think you have a good advantage. Talk it over at the front desk and share your hopes and dreams for the perfect room. Tell them you are heading to Knott's and can easily wait for the "right" room. Share you excitement and appreciation for their hard work and, in my experience, the magic usually comes through. :thumbsup2

We had a great view of the monorail from our Woods view (room 4402). It went directly under our room. Our friends were in a Courtyard room and could see the monorail there too (and our Courtyard room had a view of the tracks last year too). You might think about whether you prefer Woods (as previous poster mentioned, partial theme park view... we could see Soarin and Grizzly River Run) or Courtyard view (quiet, peaceful view)

Is the only thing not returned to normal just the lack of extra magic hours? Seems like nearly everything else has returned or just slightly modified? Anything else to be aware of? The entrance to DCA is open, right?

If we book a standard room- where are those on the maps? I'm having a hard time figuring out where that will put us in the hotel. Any suggestions on what type of room to request?

If we book a standard room- where are those on the maps? I'm having a hard time figuring out where that will put us in the hotel. Any suggestions on what type of room to request?

Stand rooms overlook the front parking lot /Valet of the hotel but they typically sell WAY more in the stand room category than they have in physical inventory which is why many wind up with a woods/courtyard view or better with just a standard reservation...but there are no guarantees.

Is the only thing not returned to normal just the lack of extra magic hours? Seems like nearly everything else has returned or just slightly modified? Anything else to be aware of? The entrance to DCA is open, right?

My understanding is that there is still no package delivery (a HUGE biggie for me!) and no 'regular' mousekeeping. I think mousekeeping is still just 'towels and trash' every few days.

My understanding is that there is still no package delivery (a HUGE biggie for me!) and no 'regular' mousekeeping. I think mousekeeping is still just 'towels and trash' every few days.

Yeah, we experienced both of those issues at WDW. That no package delivery piece always prevented me from spending more money!

I read some recent reviews online about GCH that said you could request daily housekeeping? Room service is back too right? What type of food is usually on that list? I imagine its pricey.

Yeah, we experienced both of those issues at WDW. That no package delivery piece always prevented me from spending more money!

I read some recent reviews online about GCH that said you could request daily housekeeping? Room service is back too right? What type of food is usually on that list? I imagine its pricey.

I don't know about requesting 'full' mousekeeping like in the 'Before Times'. Seems like if you could, everyone would be asking for it. I've heard that you can call for more trash emptying & supplies, but right now it's trash and towels and a 'wipe down' of surfaces every other day, but no linen changes or bed making.

My understanding is that 'limited' room service is available. No idea of the menu or prices.

Last edited:
Room service is back too right? What type of food is usually on that list? I imagine its pricey.

We never ordered, but room service was happening during our visit in late January 2022. Some of the selections were the same as you can get from the Craftsman's Grill, usually priced maybe 25% more (and then add service fees and gratuity). Other dishes seemed more unique. Dinner entrees were $30 ish. We considered ordering the kids breakfast as my kid really likes pancakes ($12 I think), but he was fine with eggs from Craftsman's. So we opted to just walk down and order from there.

I don't know about requesting 'full' mousekeeping like in the 'Before Times'. Seems like if you could, everyone would be asking for it. I've heard that you can call for more trash emptying & supplies, but right now it's trash and towels and a 'wipe down' of surfaces every other day, but no linen changes or bed making.

From what I read this really varies. We were told trash and towels every other day, but our son had an accident the second night and we requested new linens for the day bed. When we returned that night we had what felt like a regular room clean (beds made, vanity/counters cleaned with our toothbrushes nicely wrapped washcloths, trash taken out, not sure if they vacuumed). Maybe we got lucky.

From what I read this really varies. We were told trash and towels every other day, but our son had an accident the second night and we requested new linens for the day bed. When we returned that night we had what felt like a regular room clean (beds made, vanity/counters cleaned with our toothbrushes nicely wrapped washcloths, trash taken out, not sure if they vacuumed). Maybe we got lucky.

I can see them doing it in your case. They probably figured since your son had an accident and the bed needed a linen change they may as well clean/straighten the whole room since they were in there. Plus it was probably a bit stressful for you and they were saying "Hey, it's OK!!".

I just don't know if someone could call down and ask for a complete cleaning 'just because'. I have to admit that if one could, I'd probably request it myself if it was for no extra charge. Nothing like coming 'home' to a freshly made bed and tidy room, especially when it's someone else doing the tidying!

I wonder if EMH is gone for good at Disneyland. Hopefully not.

I'm not holding my breath, personally I think it's gone for good as a regular perk. Maybe they'll offer it as a 'magical extra' from time to time during onsite hotel specials. When it was removed for reopening there apparently wasn't a HUGE outcry nor a big drop in bookings which probably indicated to TPTB that removing it wasn't a 'game changer'.

I posted on a different thread that as long as the hotels are turning the 'right' amount of profit and TPTB are happy with the number of rooms occupied they have no incentive to bring it back, since it incurs extra expenses in staffing and such. And the fact that there is not even a 'whisper of a hint of a rumor' about it AND that WDW has already brought it back (albeit only 30 mins early) says to me that EMH isn't anywhere on TPTB's radar for DLR.

My justification for staying at the Grand were distance, EMH, and package delivery (in no particular order). Well, and the ambience, too. They've removed two of my justifications and I'm having trouble justifying the price for the one remaining, especially since the hotels across Harbor are basically the same distance. So, the question now is: Is 'ambience' worth an additional $200-600 per night?

Last edited:
Last week we stayed two nights at GCH. Warning about the room that we had. It was #5022. Fifth floor, great location to the elevators but unfortunately the room was located directly below the Craftsman Club lounge. At around 5:30 each morning the noise started for setup. Carts being rolled across the floor, items being dropped on the floor and just plain noise. The same thing happened each evening starting around 11:00 as I assume they were cleaning up.

Needless to say it was annoying. Especially when you’re paying premium prices for this hotel. In the end Disney could care less. The rooms in question are #5020-5024. I suggest avoiding them unless you have no problem with noise. The location is very convenient to the elevators and Great Hall but thats where it ends in my book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter