Grand Californian Super Thread

Well we just got back from our first stay at GCH yesterday. Super happy that the tree went up while we were there otherwise I would’ve been very disappointed! The gingerbread house was underwhelming in my opinion but I guess it’s not finished yet… Seems very strange to me that it wouldn’t be done by the time the holidays officially started. Overall we had a great stay but my cousin who also came had quite a few issues. It took hours for her bags to be delivered to her room from bell service and took over 45 minutes to get room keys. They are definitely understaffed!
I think part of the gingerbread house is that its a process through the whole season and isnt done until after thanksgiving

It's been about 8 weeks since I've been there, but it was easy to find a table in the evening. I think it was around 6 or 7pm.

I agree that the desserts are best there. Just wanted to throw out that you can also get to go type stuff in DTD (Sprinkles, Salt and Straw, the place with the over the top shakes) and find an outdoor seat somewhere there or take back to the hotel lobby.

Thank you! I think we'll aim for Hearthstone and then wander DTD if it's too crazy there. I'm not super picky or fixated on getting the perfect dessert, we're mostly just looking for a place to relax and have a treat to celebrate making it to 50 years old!

Has anyone visited Hearthstone recently? I'm wondering how easy it is to get a seat these days. We arrive in the evening on my birthday and I'm trying to decide where to go for dessert, and I like the options at Hearthstone. Doesn't seem like there's too many good dessert choices in the hotels and downtown disney and reservations aren't lining up well with our arrival time. Anyone have any experiences there lately?

We visit Hearthstone on most of our park visits. If it's on a weekend, it may be pretty busy, but we've been there mid-week recently and it's very quiet. One night last week, there were 2 small groups inside (one at the bar, one at a table) and we were the only group outside. It was eerily quiet.

Are the pools and hot tubs open throughout December?

Might be too cold but would be nice to have that option.

Lurker here, just want to give a PSA that the Grand currently has a sale going on called the Magical New Year Getaway Room Offer. Because I'm stubborn, I keep checking rates to see if they might drop. We went from $607 a night for a standard room to $484 for a woods/courtyard view in mid March!!

Lurker here, just want to give a PSA that the Grand currently has a sale going on called the Magical New Year Getaway Room Offer. Because I'm stubborn, I keep checking rates to see if they might drop. We went from $607 a night for a standard room to $484 for a woods/courtyard view in mid March!!
Thank you for posting this. I just checked our Costco package for Feb and called and saved $1000 ($500 per room/2 rooms). 4 nights for the price of 3 promo with the same room upgrade that you mentioned. You made my night/week/month! :)

Thanks here, too. I just applied promo to our trip 1st week of March. I had been checking website regularly for a new promo, but I guess I hadn’t checked recently enough!

That is a great rate and seriously goes back to…hmmm 2015 or so? That’s more like convention pricing right now. Great find and awesome of you to share it.

Is GCH CL operating pretty much at pre-Covid levels with regards to offerings & seating space? DLH CL reviews are not good for diversity of offerings but GCH seem to be going well here. Do they do the mimosa bar in the morning still? (#priorities)

Is GCH CL operating pretty much at pre-Covid levels with regards to offerings & seating space? DLH CL reviews are not good for diversity of offerings but GCH seem to be going well here. Do they do the mimosa bar in the morning still? (#priorities)
I visited at the end of October, and the Veranda has "pretty much" returned to normal operation. Bagels with smoked salmon are now served "assembled", rather than having the ingredients (bagel, cream cheese, tomato, onion, capers, salmon) spread out. Mimosas are served during breakfast -- all alcohol options are available all day (as before)

Bagels with smoked salmon are now served "assembled", rather than having the ingredients (bagel, cream cheese, tomato, onion, capers, salmon) spread out.

Do all the bagels come this way? Can you just have them with cream cheese? Visiting at the end of the month and a bagel with cream cheese is part of my breakfast routine, but not with all the other stuff.

Do all the bagels come this way? Can you just have them with cream cheese? Visiting at the end of the month and a bagel with cream cheese is part of my breakfast routine, but not with all the other stuff.

They had plain bagels with three different cream cheese.

What are the toiletries in the room like these days? I liked the shampoo and conditioner they had when we last stayed there 4 years ago - are they still stocking things like that right now, or is that another thing that's been cut recently?

Getting excited for my birthday trip - I fly down on Friday after work!

What are the toiletries in the room like these days? I liked the shampoo and conditioner they had when we last stayed there 4 years ago - are they still stocking things like that right now, or is that another thing that's been cut recently?

Getting excited for my birthday trip - I fly down on Friday after work!
I believe it is the H2O products. I like them.

I was just at GCH last week and it was all H2O products in small bottles just like old times 👍👍

Oh, so not the big pumper bottles they switched to? That's great!

FWIW you can find those products on Amazon cheaper than Disney or even H20's own website. They're just bottled differently, more 'utilitarian' looking squeeze bottles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter