gift when your child gets their drivers license???

DD is in drivers ed right now and I hope she doesn't see this thread. She isn't getting anything for getting her DL except the keys to her dads car. I am not ready to let her drive mine without me in it anytime soon!

DD is in drivers ed right now and I hope she doesn't see this thread. She isn't getting anything for getting her DL except the keys to her dads car. I am not ready to let her drive mine without me in it anytime soon!

That is exactly the "gift" we got our kids when they got their licenses...a new keychain with a copy of the key to the car they would be driving most often. It didn't mean they could take it whenever they wanted, but it was nice for them to have their own and it made them feel good to have it.

That is exactly the "gift" we got our kids when they got their licenses...a new keychain with a copy of the key to the car they would be driving most often. It didn't mean they could take it whenever they wanted, but it was nice for them to have their own and it made them feel good to have it.

That's exactly what I got! Except I got to drive down to the hardware store and get the key made myself :lmao:

Giving my child a gfit for getting their drivers license would NEVER occur to me.

I would congratulate her and let her drive home from DMV.

I agree with the first sentence...

There is no way I would let DD drive home from the DMV. DD "needed" to text all her friends...and - I didn't allow her to drive after she got her license until she was formally added to our insurance. (I.e. within 1/2 hour after we got home.)

But I agree - no gifts for a driver's license.

for both my girls, i got them a backpack thing that straps on the back of the drivers seat. and we made it a rule--purses, cell phones, etc go into that backpack when they are driving, and they are not to be pulled out when they are driving. (So not really a gift--more of a safety tool, like the hazard flags in the trunk). :laugh

also, made a rule that they had to set whatever they were listening to on the radio or set the GPS before they moved out of park. no fiddling with buttons while driving.

DD1 has had two accidents--neither her fault (one was by a guy running a red, and the other was a t-bone by someone not yielding in a roundabout). DD2 has had one accident--she was not watching the guy in front of her and he stopped (no brake lights) and she rearended him--was her fault for being too close and not paying attention. (So the backpack things have done some good--no texting or phone calls while driving!)

I think I got my own set of keys to cars not sure.

I agree with the first sentence...

There is no way I would let DD drive home from the DMV. DD "needed" to text all her friends...and - I didn't allow her to drive after she got her license until she was formally added to our insurance. (I.e. within 1/2 hour after we got home.)

But I agree - no gifts for a driver's license.
In our state you don't need insurance for a permit -- if the permit driver makes a mistake, the supervising adult in the car is charged with the ticket. It's perfectly legal for a teen with a new permit to drive home from the DMV.

Also in our state you have the permit for a year, and that's when you learn to drive. It would make no sense not to let the learner practice.

Gift for getting a driver's license?? The driver's license WAS their gift, along with the cost/time/signatures for everything leading up to it.

My daughter reminded me, that her gift was more like, "Here's $5. Go buy a gallon of milk. Bring back the change."

Add, "Oh, and pick you sister up at her friend's house" and that'd be my "gift" from Mom :lmao:

My DS will be able to get his in November. Getting him a gift never occurred to me. His use of our car is gift enough. We will put him on our AAA though.

I earned my driver's license almost 20 years ago. And I can still remember that after my test my mom took me out to lunch to celebrate. I could pick where we ate.

It wasn't really a gift, but it was a nice way to celebrate a milestone and it made me feel really special. I still remember the restaurant - Red Lobster! It was a big deal since our family almost never went out to eat.

If you want to get a small gift for your new driver because it makes you happy, then I say go for it!

After adding 2 teenage boys to our insurance in the past year, it never crossed my mind to give them........ a gift.

I took the 16 year old to lunch to celebrate. The entire family went out to dinner to celebrate the 18 year old....... who needed to start commuting to college 2 days later. He's never been one to do anything sooner than he saw necessary. I'm glad THAT summer is OVER.

my mom got me a $2 key chain.

Granted I did fail the test 2 times, but I didn't expect anything. I bought my own car, pay for my own gas, and my own insurance. Sometimes for christmas or my birthday my mom will cover it for me.

I gave my son, niece and nephew a nice personalized key chain from Things Remembered when they got their license. I think it is a nice thing to do.

Let's see...

$300 for driver's ed
$25 for driver's license
additional $$ per month for car insurance

Ummm.... No tangible gift other than the freedoms of driving. I remember back when I was 15 and got my driver's license, my mom gave me her grocery shopping list. I was soooo happy to drive to the store and do the grocery shopping! :rotfl:

I think as a society we give too many unnecessary gifts.

I've never heard of giving a gift for getting a driver's license.

It's a nice thought.

I think a key chain and/or a celebration meal would be plenty.

In 1992, I got the car keys, $30, and a list of what my parents wanted for lunch from McDonalds. They told me to get whatever I wanted from McDs as a "Welcome to the Driving World" gift...and they let me keep the change! :rotfl2:

I did inherit the old car for the Christmas prior to getting my license (I turned 16 in October, and didn't get my license until the following April)...

My kids thought just getting their license was special enough.

No, we didn't give gifts.

They gave me a gift: the higher insurance bill I have to pay every month! It's the gift that just keeps on giving :rotfl2:

How about one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Black-...LZU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338162005&sr=8-2

31cum34XRIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No - no gifts here, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter