gift when your child gets their drivers license???

My son just got his license last month and I got him a pewter guardian angel to attach to his visor.

Right after he got his license was easter, so his basket was made up of stuff to wash/clean his car (armor all, sponges, window wipes).

The updated insurance bill?

I have never even considered giving my DD a gift when when she gets her drivers license (in 3 short years :eek:). Isn't the excitement of being able to drive enough? Oh, and no way is she getting a car. We live in a city and she doesn't need one.

I got DD a Congratulations card and we all went to dinner to celebrate. A Oh, and I got her AAA. But the AAA was more for my peace of mind.

My daughter will turn 16 next year and get her license. My gift to her to allowing her to live long enough to SEE the age of 16.;)

DD has had her license for almost 3 years. I never even thought about getting her a gift. :confused3 She even paid for her own car and buys her own gas. I guess my gift is to pay the insurance every month. I feel like a mean mom now.

I agree that having the freedom of driving is better than any gift :) But when I got my license my parents did add me to their AAA account and I was one of the lucky kids whose parents bought them a car (RIP my sweet prince) , but I am also their only child so it is probably easier to justify buying your kid a car when you will only have to do it once :P

My parents also made my Christmas and Birthday presents for the first 5 years I was driving be that they would pay my car insurance every month. Now, THAT was an awesome present!

If you just wanted to do something small to congratulate them, I liked some PPs ideas about taking them out to lunch or dinner or the gift basket of random things for the car.

My dd will be getting the gift of not having to be seen riding in Mom's mini-van anymore :)

I gave my kid a big woooo-hooooo!!!

And then I let him run errands for me. He seemed happy with that.

The license and freedom are the gift.

Maybe a $3 key chain.

Yep! In Ohio, a parent spends 50 hours driving with their child prior to his/her being allowed to test for a license. Gift enough. ;)

Yes--they get covered on my insurance policy for free, they got a AAA membership, and they got big lectures from their mother and me on driving safety and making good decisions. All the things kids want on a special occasion! :rotfl:

Nobody where I live does anything like that. But if you feel so inclined, I know when I first started driving gas was a lot cheaper so I'm sure your kid would appreciate a gift card for a gas station so their first tank or two is taken care of.

When my DD called me at work to tell me she passed her test, I stopped and picked up an ice cream cake on my way home. It had a race car theme, just saw it and thought it was cute, plus, who doesn't love ice cream cake.

My kids got their licenses on their birthdays so the gift was a birthday gift.

My kids thought just getting their license was special enough.

No, we didn't give gifts.

Same here... and we gave them the gift of us paying the incredibly costly auto insurance for them...:rotfl:

I've got 10 years to go for this :) but I got nothing when I got my license. My parents did help me buy a car. I think they paid half of a cheap used car. I don't remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter