gift when your child gets their drivers license???

The license application fee? :confused3

I *am* a mean mom; no driving on his own if he doesn't pony up for his own share of the insurance. (We're allowed to let him drive with one of us present without having to pay more if he's still classed as a "permit" driver.)

I found another school district that would accept him as a cash-paid driver's ed student during the summer, since our district doesn't offer the class anymore. That was $450, so I think that is gift enough.

It never crossed my mind to get gifts for my kids when they got their drivers licence.

I'm not even sure why anyone would, unless it's a key chain to keep the keys on, if they even got their own set of keys for my car.

We did not buy them a car.

They both got leased vehicles once they graduated from high school, and made the payments on their own cars.

We did help out with car insurance back when they were in college.

My son got his license back in January. No gift.
He knew that the driving school fees were gift enough.

He also gets to drive my car, so that is another gift.

We however are planning on buying him a car when he graduates high school (or gifting him my DH's truck). He will be commuting to college so he will need one all the time instead of occasionally.

No gift when I got my license. However, for Christmas that year, my parents gave me my first set of keys to the cars and our house, all made from fun colored metals. Loved it!

A key chain & a AAA card. The key chain had keys for my husband's car & for my car on it.

Of course, they were given the speech "you must ask in advance when you want to borrow the car" as well as the "responsibility" speech of who could ride with them. Gas was to be replaced upon using more than a gallon or 2. They were really good about it, so I guess we did OK.

We paid for half of their insurance, and we did help them buy their first cars.

One thing we did with both kids (1 girl, 1 guy) - they could not even get their permit unless they could change a tire on the car.

I got a cute keychain with my own set of keys to both our cars.

I bought my own car, paid for my AAA and Put gas in the cars when they were low. My dad did pay for my car insurance but it was minimal to add me, plus I let him and my mom use my car whenever needed.

NO, we gave them a car and provided the insurance - that was gift enough.

My parents gave my my license as a Christmas present wrapped under the tree on Christmas morning. It came in the mail a week or so earlier! :mad:

This is the first I've heard of a gift for getting a license. No I would not give anything.

Our kids got the privilege of continuing to drive us places. Getting a license to drive does not mean that a young person is automatically an experienced driver. The hours required to get the license and to complete the State Farm program were not enough. They eventually got good used cars to drive in graduate school.

Our daughter got her license in April. We gave her the gift of teaching her to drive.

When I got my license (like four months ago) my parents bought me a AAA membership-definitely the best gift for a new driver!

For my daughters, the planned "gift" is a tour of the wooden crosses that have been erected around here :(

My daughter reminded me, that her gift was more like, "Here's $5. Go buy a gallon of milk. Bring back the change."

I've honestly never, ever heard of this before. A gift for learning to drive? Nope.

We give gifts for birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day, & High-school graduation. That's it.

**Grandma did buy DD a car though, as she missed her senior year of high school last year due to spending much of it in Children's Hospital. :flower3: She never even got a chance to drive to school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter