• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting Out of the Cold: A January 2024 Visit To Fort Wilderness

1. We visited MK for several hours with Ed and his dear wife.
2. I HAD to do CoP, first, as is my MK tradition.
3. Disney-is-not-Disney without CoP!
4. I saw it at 1964 World's fair and MUST see it every trip.
5. CoP and a Mickey ice cream sandwich AND I AM HOME !!!

6. Ed sang Carousel of Progress tune during scene changes.
. . . I heard noises behind me
. . . BUT, thought it was a tortured cat.
. . . So did a few Cast Members, AND, Florida ASPCA.

I wanted to protect Rusty's good reputation (that of him AND his DW) but now that he's outed himself as our theme park buddies from yesterday, he is no longer anonymous and thus protected; he is FAIR GAME.

Both he and I love CoP. It has such a strong connection to Walt. And I did sing the song each time we spun to the next theater (his DW confirmed this). IMO I was mostly on key.

Neither one of us want to ride any more roller coasters either.

Bama Ed

BTW, 1500 loop is in a position to hear:

- the fireworks from MK
- the fireworks from Epcot
- the Chip & Dale Singalong (pretty clearly) and movie audio

I'll have to stay up and check on the Electrical Water Pageant.

ED

Continuing on into loop 2100, I noticed something odd. @Teamubr I think you have stayed in 2100.
We have stayed in 2100 and I liked it. This was actually a fly in and crash with our friends who were there in their MH. We had APs for a couple of years and took advantage of the discounts and cheap airfare to supplement our Fort visits with shorter stays at a resort. This year, June and Perry were at WDW with her son's family staying in a cabin. June requested 2100 and her son asked for a cabin in 2200 across the road. It worked out great. We flew down a few days after they arrived and only stayed for a long weekend, staying in their MH.

Just jumped off the Magical Express, grabbed a Fort bus and here is Ian walking down the road to the MH.

20190907_174644.jpg

And their site. I think this was 2108. It backed up the the road. Nice site.

20190907_174704.jpg

6. Ed sang Carousel of Progress tune during scene changes.
. . . I heard noises behind me
. . . BUT, thought it was a tortured cat.
. . . So did a few Cast Members, AND, Florida ASPCA.
"There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow..."

But 'Scupper. Ed is the only DIS'er I know invited to sing with the Dapper Dans. How could it not have been purely melodious? :rotfl2:

j

Ok Ed, Lori says not to finish the puzzle before we get there.
Next, we did this one back and it was a lot of fun!
20230217_163037.jpg
Lastly, I really don't drink much, but when I do it's Yungling Black and Tan.

"There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow..."

But 'Scupper. Ed is the only DIS'er I know invited to sing with the Dapper Dans. How could it not have been purely melodious? :rotfl2:

Jim, please, I'm trying to maintain my modesty.

giphy.gif

But since you mentioned it, I am a card carrying member of the Main Street USA Chapter of Walt Disney World. Because I earned one of these...

It was one of the thrills of my life to sing with my heroes.

And we were darn good too!

Ed

Last edited:
Ok Ed, Lori says not to finish the puzzle before we get there.

Lastly, I really don't drink much, but when I do it's Yungling Black and Tan.

Don, I got a late start to the puzzle (today) so I will put it out on Saturday and ya'll can work it to your heart's content.

Good looking puzzle ya'll finished.

The Black is, what, Y's porter? Awfully heavy. The Tan is the regular lager?

I tasted the Porter on my Y plant tour I did a few years ago in Pennsylvania. Not for me.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Ed

Today was a day to go "off campus" for a while and do some fun stuff by maintaining a family tradition.

Now there are all kinds of family traditions. This one was passed on to me recently from my father. Being from The Great State of Alabama .....

giphy.gif

we know what family traditions are. In fact, some guy named Hank Williams Jr made a song about family traditions....

Ooops. Oh well. Nevermind. :scared:

But my family tradition was to make a run from the WDW complex on I4 (exit 67 for Epcot Blvd) towards Tampa to Plant City at exit 19 and head for Parkesdale Farm Market on Hwy 92 (not far off the interstate).

Plant City grows strawberries (they've already appeared in my grocery stores in Alabama) and Parkesdale sells a "famous" strawberry shortcake and other strawberry derivatives that are well known. It's part farmer's market, strawberry emporium, nursery, and town hall.

Ever heard the saying "Life Is Too Short - Eat Dessert First"? That was us today.

They have a number of strawberry goodun's to choose from. Something for everyone.

DW went for a strawberry milkshake (#5) with real vanilla ice cream and I had the classic shortcake (#1).

While there, get ya some local strawberry preserves (or jam or butter or spread or syrup or a plat of fresh berries ....). I got several jars to take home and share the love.

:littleangel: I hope I made my father proud. :sad1:

Or else he won't get his jar of preserves. :sad2:

From there we headed back up I4 to WDW for a lunch at Disney Springs. I was SO fortunate that I got to experience a traffic slowdown of the type that are FAMOUS also on I4 which added 31 minutes to the journey north (normally less than an hour) JUST BECUZ. :crazy: No wreck, no trucks in the left lane (good boys). Just 'traffic'.

Lunch at Disney Springs in the next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Like I said yesterday when we ate at Ale & Compass (and Tony's the day before that at MK), we are looking to try new places to eat. Oh, don't get me wrong, I am a creature of habit and I wrap myself comfortably in the blanket of familiarity when we eat at Raglan Road, Trails End (RIP), The Plaza, or Geyser Point. :cloud9:

But I need to push myself outside my comfort zone. Yesterday Ale & Compass, today The Polite Pig at Disney Springs.

It's right there at the bottom of the escalators from the Lime parking garage. DW got the Cobb Salad and I got the Half Smoked Chicken.

Random pics of Disney Springs as DW wanted to walk to the Christmas Store.

Memories for our family are thick on the ground here. We've been coming almost annually so the kids did a lot of things at Disney Springs (Downtown Disney).

Like ride the train:

Or the carousel.

Or pose for a picture in Pooh Corner.

One more post to finish up today.

Bama Ed

I was SO fortunate that I got to experience a traffic slowdown of the type that are FAMOUS also on I4 which added 31 minutes to the journey north (normally less than an hour) JUST BECUZ. No wreck, no trucks in the left lane (good boys). Just 'traffic'.

Oh yeah...I just LOVE that....I-4 widened now all the way from Daytona to Tampa now...and it still lousy!!! UGH... I loved everything about living in Orlando, but I-4 will never be my love!!!!

In fact, when we finally had all the kids with us again for Thanksgiving 2022 (it had been more than 10 years to have them all), we did an updated Pooh Corner pic.

Lots to see on the walk otherwise over to the Christmas Store.

Finally made it to the Christmas Store.

Turn around when standing outside the Christmas Store and you can see the Rainforest Cafe (loudest meal - kids, background - I ever experienced back in the day).

Back at the campsite I made slow but steady progress on the puzzle.

To my Saturday companions, we will need all the help you want to offer to get this puzzle advanced towards completion.

I had to run an errand tonight (which I will talk about on Sunday) but we headed south on World Drive about 530pm and the number of cars in the MK parking lot having passed the MK Toll Booth was scary! :scared1:

Not to be outdone, the lineup on World Drive to turn west onto Hwy 192 was backed up about a mile. I'm so sheltered (staying at FW) I never knew this time of day was so bad. (offsite guests? CM's heading home?). I be like:

giphy.gif

But getting back to the Fort later (after it was dark), I was comforted to feel like I was "home".

Tomorrow morning I hope to get around the Fort and take a bunch of general pics because that want folks generally want to see.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
From there we headed back up I4 to WDW for a lunch at Disney Springs. I was SO fortunate that I got to experience a traffic slowdown of the type that are FAMOUS also on I4 which added 31 minutes to the journey north (normally less than an hour) JUST BECUZ. :crazy: No wreck, no trucks in the left lane (good boys). Just 'traffic'.

Bama Ed
This is the pain I feel going and coming back.

I live in the Tampa area and even though it’s just 70 something miles to WDW, we have to deal with I4. There is always a problem coming or going and sometimes both directions.

It stresses my hubby out so bad that he dreads pulling the camper to FW.

This is the pain I feel going and coming back.

I live in the Tampa area and even though it’s just 70 something miles to WDW, we have to deal with I4. There is always a problem coming or going and sometimes both directions.

It stresses my hubby out so bad that he dreads pulling the camper to FW.

With respect, @proudmomof4 , I am guessing that make the drive 2-4 hours up from Tampa or back home.

I'll trade him my 11 hour tow from Alabama for his 2-4 hour slow tow from Tampa. And others come from further away than I do.

I know it's not smooth and a-mile-a-minute trip as it could be. But he's still in a fortunate position overall compared to the rest of us. Just IMO.

Ed

Welcome to Saturday at the Fort.

Today was probably the warmest and most beautiful day of your trip thus far.

I got out this morning and made a big circle around the main public spaces to photograph the sights of the Fort. There will be a few instances of commentary but I want to put up a lot of pictures so narration will be sparse.

Let's go.

Today was a big departure day in loop 1500. Rather than show you empty sites in this loop, I'll show you the small, convenient way to stay here with a tent, a small trailer like mine, or a mix.

If you want to rent a Class C rv from Cruise America, you can park next to the 1500/1600 Comfort Station too.

These folks were serious campers. I saw a backpack on the site later in the day. Love the tent hammock.

A cute TAG trailer in 1514 the corner site. Would love to camp in this spot.

A beautiful clear morning as I started to make my rounds.

Looking into loop 300.

Next post.

Bama Ed

This is a qualifying "Kickin' It" pose.

We had reports of a shelf built on the top rail of the porch on the lake side. Here it is.

I admit I have a hard time letting go of the changes at Trails End. The sign in this location used to be for P&J's Southern Takeout.

One nice touch to the steps on the left side is that there are spurs, badges, and more embedded in the steps.

Where the carving station once stood is two cashiers.

The pizza oven side.

The back wall.

Looking back into the main seating area from the former central stairs.

These two signs are in the front of the cashiers as the customers approach them.

We'll look at Crockett's and the Arcade next.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter