Getting Out of the Cold: A January 2024 Visit To Fort Wilderness

Got some catching up to do but BOY was I glad when this text arrived at 1237pm.

You know the feeling!

1505 is in 1500 loop on the left side (interior site) and it's the second spot.

Now we are mostly set up.

The 1500/1600 Comfort station is right off the back of our spot.

You can see it out there in the trees.

I will be back later with some updates.

Mostly cloudy and 74F.

Bama Ed
Love the signs!!!!

bama_ed quick question on your trailer...how does it tow? I am thinking of getting one, I have a Jeep and it is the right weight for it. I have looked at a few different ones at the local RV show last year but would love feedback from someone that has experience. thanks so much, and also I have to say I really enjoyed your trip report, felt like I was there! and now I really really want to go!

Diana,

Thanks for the kind words on the TR.

It tows very easily. Mine is a 2014 Aliner Expedition which is 18' in length (15' box and 3' in front for propane tanks, batter, and hitch). It's obviously lower than the profile of my tow vehicle so it's not like dragging a barn door down the interstate.

I do take a hit on gas mileage, of course, of about 3mpg less because of the excess weight.

The thing I like best about it (besides being able to camp year round which we couldn't do in our old Jayco popup) is the ability to stay hitched up when I stop for the night at a state park, for example. I keep the hitch on the ball of the TV, crank down the rear jacks for additional stability, and then pop the roof and plug in. It's less than 5 minutes spent setting that part up and taking it down the next day. I had to unhitch with my former Jayco to get the bunks slid out to sleep on. As a result, I've taken more trips that are longer (more than 1 day's drive) because of the ease of stopping overnight.

Are you looking at an Aliner brand, a Forest River brand, or a Chalet brand? Aliner has a dealer network mostly in the Eastern half of the US, Forest River is everywhere, and Chalet sells direct from the Oregon plant so is more prevalent in the Western half of the US. Also they come in a variety of sizes now (10', 12', 15' boxes). Smaller means lighter means an easier tow. Smaller mean also easier to push around the driveway.

The knock on A-frames is lack of storage space but we make do. We try to stay outside as much as we can while camping anyway so the trailer is the rolling "guest room" of our home, so to speak.

If you have further questions, lemme know via PM.

Bama Ed

PS - and learning how to back in with the trailer is a skill that you'll have to master if you don't have a lot of experience doing so.

Diana,

Thanks for the kind words on the TR.

It tows very easily. Mine is a 2014 Aliner Expedition which is 18' in length (15' box and 3' in front for propane tanks, batter, and hitch). It's obviously lower than the profile of my tow vehicle so it's not like dragging a barn door down the interstate.

I do take a hit on gas mileage, of course, of about 3mpg less because of the excess weight.

The thing I like best about it (besides being able to camp year round which we couldn't do in our old Jayco popup) is the ability to stay hitched up when I stop for the night at a state park, for example. I keep the hitch on the ball of the TV, crank down the rear jacks for additional stability, and then pop the roof and plug in. It's less than 5 minutes spent setting that part up and taking it down the next day. I had to unhitch with my former Jayco to get the bunks slid out to sleep on. As a result, I've taken more trips that are longer (more than 1 day's drive) because of the ease of stopping overnight.

Are you looking at an Aliner brand, a Forest River brand, or a Chalet brand? Aliner has a dealer network mostly in the Eastern half of the US, Forest River is everywhere, and Chalet sells direct from the Oregon plant so is more prevalent in the Western half of the US. Also they come in a variety of sizes now (10', 12', 15' boxes). Smaller means lighter means an easier tow. Smaller mean also easier to push around the driveway.

The knock on A-frames is lack of storage space but we make do. We try to stay outside as much as we can while camping anyway so the trailer is the rolling "guest room" of our home, so to speak.

If you have further questions, lemme know via PM.

Bama Ed

PS - and learning how to back in with the trailer is a skill that you'll have to master if you don't have a lot of experience doing so.
I haven't had to do much in quite a while but I was good at backing up boats for the boat launch, so I am hopeful it will come back to me! Thanks so much for the info!

Loving the Fort report!
Tho lots of changes are happening, I see.

That was a sweet puzzle ye were working on! I’ve always loved jigsaws, and have kicked it up a notch: I don’t look at the picture at all & the edge pieces are left til near the end.. ..And if I manage not to see the puzzle beforehand, so much the better. (Several cousins, friends, work colleagues etc enjoy as well so there’s often someone looking to trade…. )

The big bucks-AirStream-esque really did look like a DIY! I was thinking the front door would have to stretch from top to bottom (gotta love ipad zooming!)

Frank from Tennessee …..boy, there’s a memory from Disboards! I feel like I remember lots of Piggies in his signature! lol, I’ve camped twice at the Fort, 2013 & 2023, but read so many Fort
trip reports and threads, that it’s easy to forget I really don’t know anyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter