Getting Out of the Cold: A January 2024 Visit To Fort Wilderness

More closeups inside the cabin.

In the hallway outside the bathroom some coat hangars.

On the side wall of the bed.

On the hallway wall to the side of the fridge.

Closeup over the dining table.

Front lamps to either side of tv.

Closeup of the cool bunkbed and attached rules.

Puzzle progress was slow this morning after a grocery run for dinner and a full tank of gas (3.05/gal) at Walmart. All the easy parts have been done. Loved this train ride and got the puzzle to help memorialize it but it's hard. Will take it home and keep plugging away until the next camping trip.

Let's go to lunch over at Wilderness Lodge/Geyser Point on a beautiful day next.

Bama Ed

More closeups inside the cabin.

In the hallway outside the bathroom some coat hangars.

On the side wall of the bed.

On the hallway wall to the side of the fridge.

Closeup over the dining table.

Front lamps to either side of tv.

Closeup of the cool bunkbed and attached rules.

Puzzle progress was slow this morning after a grocery run for dinner and a full tank of gas (3.05/gal) at Walmart. All the easy parts have been done. Loved this train ride and got the puzzle to help memorialize it but it's hard. Will take it home and keep plugging away until the next camping trip.

Let's go to lunch over at Wilderness Lodge/Geyser Point on a beautiful day next.

Bama Ed

Really like the Campground Railroad painting! So, do they feel "worn" and in need of replacement?

At 1230pm I said, "honey, let's go over to Geyser Point for lunch".

Our journey started at the 2400/2500/2600 bus stop.

We caught the bus and were behind the horse drawn hayride wagon out for an afternoon stroll.

We had the bus all to ourselves (both ways coming and going all busses).

More pics of the new parking lot behind the Settlement Bus Depot scrim fence.

The parking lot adjacent has concrete ground posts built for lights and poles.

I asked my bus driver (the stone cold lock for reputable information) about the possible purpose of the parking lot and bus loop (what it looks like) up to behind the new CM building). He said he hoped it was another bus loop and CM parking because the Settlement loop can get pretty crowded with Orange, Yellow, Purple, MK, and WL busses. Plus when HDDR shows let out you need more of several of these all at one time.

Once at Wilderness Lodge after transferring to a WL bus at Settlement, we walked back to Geyser Point. It was a gorgeous day about 68F.

Nice to walk up to Geyser Point and not have to wait for a table.

Never tried the takeout side of Geyser but it's there beside the checkin area.

Next post the "staff" pays us a visit.

Bama Ed

DW asked for a table on the lake side of the bar and one was available and it was a fantastic view of the water, Discovery Island, the boats, and wildlife all in the bright sunlight while we were in the shade.

The "staff" was making the rounds (a him and a her) visiting the tables.

In actuality it was a shakedown operation. Don't throw them a tidbit? They leave behind a thank-you blob on the pavement next to your table.

They came over to us and stood close to us anticipating a dropped fry looking like the baby dinosaurs from the movie Jurassic Park before they swarm the person and take them down off camera.

It was funny. Other "staff" would show up and try to run the same hustle on other Geyser tables and our "staff" pair would chase them off into the lake. Then our folks would come back and strut their turf.

While we were there the geyser itself shot up at 2pm.

Oh, I got a Bison Burger and DW got a salad. Good stuff.

Beautiful sky on our way past the Boulder Ridge pool area on the way back to the WL bus stop.

We came back and got to the cabin at 330pm so a 3hr roundtrip. Not enough servers at Geyser although our attendant was very personable. We crashed on the soft bed for a nap and then we got up and I cooked some hamburger steak, sauteed mushrooms, mashed spuds and brown gravy, sliced tomato, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. (If I have something like a full kitchen, I'll use it). As I said, this was a budget trip for us in most respects.

Our popup is waiting for us in the overflow lot. We'll hook it up in the morning and drive home to Titletown. Our next scheduled visit is for the DISMeet later this fall.

@4077, I'll answer your question soon. I have some thoughts.

But one more observation first.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

IIRC it was @proudmomof4 who first noticed that the old Exercise Trail right-of-way between FW and WL had some utility locator flags on it up near the TCD barn. I tried to get some pics of the flags on the bus ride to/from WL today and it was hard because of the window scrim and movement.

But they are there.

Up front in the driver's area there is no window scrim.

So if they WERE going to repave the Exercise Trail, the first step would be to locate utilities before beginning to scrape the ground and lay down some new asphault.

Fingers crossed.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Really like the Campground Railroad painting! So, do they feel "worn" and in need of replacement?

The cabins are now approximately 26 years old and even after several refurbs, they still hold their charm.

But they are not pristine and new.

There are some scratches on our walls. The trim inside the entry door look like it has been bumped and scraped several times and worn on the edges. The convection/microwave only stands on 3 legs and wobbles down toward the 4th leg when pushed on. The vent range over the two burner cooktop sounds like my handmixer at home stirring up a batch of cookie dough.

They do still retain that cabin charm. The DVC folks have a generally poor opinion because the cabins are "just a mobile home". True but I still love it.

Actually, I had gathered some pics to talk about this point and I will use the 1500/1600 Comfort Station as my example. It is looking a little long in the tooth and deferred maintenance is a factor.

I don't recall two-tone doors but some door colors match the trim color but others don't.

No picture but the latch on my shower door was barely holding on.

And the bench in my shower stall was a "make-do" and not a genuine OEM replacement.

This board on a shower stall door conceals a long scratch which you can still see on the left end of the board. I don't know which is worse to look at - the scratch or the board.

The 700-2100 loops and facilities are nearly 45-46 years old now. I bet a lot of fixtures, doors, trims, tiles, etc. that were OEM are no longer available (or the stock in a FW maintenance warehouse have been drawn down over the years).

The cabins are 25-26 years old now and at the end of their useful lives (per IRS rules) so they needed to be replaced anyway.

It's time for some changes and upgrades.

Anyway, though, I'm about to turn in.

I'll have one more post after I get home tomorrow.

Till this November, I'm signing off from Fort trip reports.

Bama Ed

PS - wait for tomorrow's postscript.

Last edited:
Just catching up on the trip. I am sure some of the facilitates are ready for another refurbishment. I though most of the comfort station bathrooms saw that about 2010/2012? Maybe it's time for another round of gut and rebuild.

Geyser Point is one of our favorites over at WL, one we definitely visit when we stay at "home" as that is our DVC resort. Even in in 2019 I felt like they never seemed to be able to staff it well. I think because of the seating being all outdoors its very fickle most of the year?

As for the DVC plan for FW, I may buy points if RV sites are finally a good point cost. They have never been a good conversion which is why I always held off on buying. As for the pickiness of DVC, depends on the member. Some complain about rooms after 2 years the rooms are "old and outdated" others like me just want them to be maintained and well functioning.

I just want to thank you so much for providing the up-to-date details of what is going on at the Fort. Especially checking out Meadows where the core sampling occurred. We won't be back there until December (hopefully) in the cabins whether old or new. I'll be following along with you during your fall trip.

Safe travels!!

Made it home today in 9h45m which is something of a family record.

I think it was the fact that this was an off-season visit (fewer cars on highway) travelling on a weekday (versus a weekend) and the fact I stopped to get out of the car once for gas/potty and went thru 2 drive thru's for breakfast and lunch (pulling the popup - they love me in the drive thru line :sad2:).

But it gave me some time to think while DW dozed in the passenger seat.

I do love camping at the Fort.

And personally, I find myself caring less about the theme parks. The main part is as I get older, I don't want the "wild" rides anymore. I want the clever, Imagineering-filled experience of the variety Walt would have (or did) approve(d) of. Few if any roller coasters. Few if anything named ".... Mountain....".

It can be cheesy. It can be retro. It can be relaxing. It can be fun(ny). But it can't be lame (Figment), it can't be based on lazy sequels. It can't be queezy. So it's easy for me to pass up. AK is once a decade visit; DHS (now that we hit the big stuff in Nov 2022) is once in about 5 year visit; Epcot is also once in a 5 year visit; MK (due to the shortened entertainment list) is now at a rate of maybe every other year/visit.

But the Fort is still a charmer for me. And there is plenty to see/do/eat without the theme parks. That may be our path forward.

The Fort, for us, hold so many family memories. And there is so much to see/do/experience there (that you don't even have to pay for). We've been to the Fort approximately once a year for nearly 25 years. It still holds lots of old friends.

(remnants of the old Fort Wilderness Railroad)

I am passing the trip report baton to the next DIS visitor.

Bama Ed

PS - gonna sleep good tonight.

Thanks for the trip report, Ed. I couldn't agree with you more about how enjoyable it is to visit the Fort without the hustle and bustle of the parks. Always seems like you have somewhere you need to be. Mine and Teresa's Fort only trip was a blast. We are making plans for our next no parks trip. See you guys in November.

Steve

Thanks for the trip report, Ed. I couldn't agree with you more about how enjoyable it is to visit the Fort without the hustle and bustle of the parks. Always seems like you have somewhere you need to be. Mine and Teresa's Fort only trip was a blast. We are making plans for our next no parks trip. See you guys in November.

Steve

Steve,

I had only one "LIKE" to give to your post but if I could have voted "Chicago Style", your post would have had 20-30 likes. :teeth:

Ed

PS - Bama baseball started Spring practice and scrimmages last week. I got home Wednesday but hope to make the practices/scrimmages this weekend (rain forecasted for Sunday). Can't wait.

Last edited:
PS - Bama baseball started Spring practice and scrimmages last week. I got home Wednesday but hope to make the practices/scrimmages this weekend (rain forecasted for Sunday). Can't wait.
Glad you had safe travels home. Offer still stands on a couple of tickets to what I (we) hope is a good weekend of SEC baseball.
Steve

Am I allowed a PS to a PS (a follow up to my supposed last post)?

This thread is still stickied so I'll take this opportunity.

These live trip reports that I do take time to do (mostly in the evenings) but I enjoy the interaction with folks (replies and questions). "Likes" are fine but the comments, questions, and criticisms (yes, even those) are engaging and make the effort worth it.

So I have one LAST post to make. (I promise, Sheriff - Denise is the boss in these parts).

When our family was last at FW in 100 loop for Thanksgiving 2022, our poster @tigger92662 (Joe) asked me to check if HDDR was offering a souvenir glass mug. I checked and the answer was 'No' but that got me to thinking because I had no idea HDDR had EVER offered a souvenir glass mug.

Ebay is my friend and I soon found older souvenir HDDR mugs in great shape for sale. The price was about $25 plus shipping, taxes so I ordered one BEFORE the trip but it arrived during the trip so I got it AFTER I got home.

And it was worth it.

Of course I had to welcome the glass into the family.

Life is good.

Bama Ed out and I'm 5 by 5.

Me

PPPPPPS - that's a 12 oz pour that took too long out of the can so I put it in a big cup and tried it again in order to make a short GIF on my phone from the video. On my phone the GIF can only last 6 seconds. I'm no techie but I can youtube and read and follow instructions.:crazy: The mug can likely take a 16 oz pour.

Last edited:
Love that mug!
I wanted to say thank you for sharing your trip! I enjoy reading about the Fort from you frequent visitors. We are in the early planning stages of a 3 week stay next Jan/Feb. so I am trying to stay up-to-date.

Steve,

I had only one "LIKE" to give to your post but if I could have voted "Chicago Style", your post would have had 20-30 likes. :teeth:

Ed

@bama_ed not sure if you go to Softball as well, but I'm planning on being at opening day on Thursday!

@bama_ed not sure if you go to Softball as well, but I'm planning on being at opening day on Thursday!

Nope softball is not on my radar, @tidefan.

DW said i could pick two sports so i go to Bama football in the fall and Bama baseball in the spring (here now for a scrimmage).

Softball always starts a week sooner than baseball. Let's cheer on our teams to a great season. :cheer2:

Ed

Nope softball is not on my radar, @tidefan.

DW said i could pick two sports so i go to Bama football in the fall and Bama baseball in the spring (here now for a scrimmage).

Softball always starts a week sooner than baseball. Let's cheer on our teams to a great season. :cheer2:

Ed
Enjoy! We tend to go to Football, Gymnastics, and Softball. Need to make a baseball game though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter