Getting Out of the Cold: A January 2024 Visit To Fort Wilderness

I’m gonna guess the need for slo Mo speed if it involves 203 steps .
(I guessed wrong with the hint…I was thinking you were going to the Daytona Beach Lighthouse with the race weeks currently . )
Have a safe journey and hurry home with that trip report of another good day Florida style !

Last edited:
20240129_094155.jpg

Looks fun!

I checked it out to see if I could make a quick run to DS for a late afternoon dinner when I'm at Spring Training. There is a station in West Palm, but it was $118 per person for the round trip.

That's an expensive dinner and it wasn't any faster than driving there from Jupiter.

j

Last edited:

• We had a great Wednesday spending "Park Time" with Ed and wife.
    • The weather was perfect.
    • The humidity was perfect
    • The crowd level was perfect.
  • Had a good Saturday afternoon Picnic at his campsite.
  • Looking forward to the October/November Fort DIZmeet.
    • Am thinking about bringing my projector for an evening Movie.
    • Maybe even an Old Time Black & White "Monster" Movie!
    • Am planning to see Hoop-Dee-Do. (Our last viewing was Feb-2000).
  • Want to see other DM's during winter Fort event.
    • There are Cast Member (CM's), and
    • There is a DIZMeet Members (DM's)

We arrive next Monday, you saved me alot of work Ed, I'll do some park and food pics, you definitely did great job with the fort pics, thank you, but one question,

You say, My task is to buy a bag of frozen ice

Is there a different type of ice? Lol

Is there a different type of ice? Lol

Why yes.

Yes there is.

The junk sold in the vending machines at the Comfort Stations is more of slush than ice. I would hold the bag under the chute and get more water (liquid) and wet ice than I should have.

Thus I buy the rock solid (dry) water ice at the TP. I drop the bag on the pavement a few times to break it up and

Voila. :tinker:

Thanks for allowing me this educational opportunity.

I'll put your regular fee under the rock here at 1505 site.

Ed

PS - although I haven't bought any CS ice in prolly 15 years and it might be different now, why take the chance? :confused3 After 2 or 3 disappointments, I swore I never would buy another one. And so far I've kept that promise.

PPS - oh and keep those Fort pics comin'. Folks seem to appreciate those.

Last edited:
The Brightline is pretty but the price is not.
Did you board and take a trip today?

Yes I did ride the Brightline train with DW down to WPB and back today.

For those concerned about the price, I used a 50% off discount thus the trip was more affordable. One way prices between MCO and WPB range $49-$99 depending on time of day. And it is faster than driving between MCO and downtown WPB.

The train ride itself was the attraction, not anything in WPB (having lived in the area our first year of marriage). I had planned to spend the time between arrival and departure touring the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach but wouldn't you know I booked the train trip (the only day basically that fit our schedule just about) on the one day of the week the Museum was closed.

I am such a

But the Orlando/MCO station is new and beautiful (opened end of September 2023).

Merch.

Next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Finally our train pulled into the station on Track 1 for boarding.

Very reminiscent of European high speed trains. There are diesel powered btw.

There are some pop-up power sockets on the tables if you are seated at those as we were (other seats are airline style back to back to back)

And some with USB sockets in between the seats.

No snack car - the BL folks push a cart twice along the train during the journey selling refreshments.

But it was a beautiful sunny day in the 60s. The train glided slowly out of the Orlando Station at the airport next to Terminal C (International flights) headed north up to Hwy 528 (that runs over to Port Canaveral) and once we got up to speed on that east-west piece of track we were doing 125mph overtaking eastbound traffic easily.

Traffic accident on Hwy 528 brought the cars to a standstill - we were not impeded.

The above picture is clear because we had coasted to a stop for about 60 seconds to allow a BL to blow past us on its way to MCO. I guess two trains passing each at 125mph in opposite directions is too much air turbulence. But we quickly glided back up to speed.

Also, this east-west piece of track from MCO to Cocoa is BL only not Florida East Coast Railroad (FECR) which has been custom built for the higher speeds. I drove past this track during construction on trips back and forth to/from Jetty Park Campground in Cape Canaveral.

Once you reach Cocoa and turn south onto the FECR mainline which has been upgraded for high speed passenger trains, speeds remain 80-90mph but they do slow down going over bridges (rivers), during some passing one of their trains going in the opposite direction (double track), and they do slow to about 50mph (it feels like) when they go through the two towns of Fort Pierce and Stuart whose little downtowns are literally on the other side of the tracks. The scheduled travel time is about 2h10m and we stuck to the timetable pretty much.

WPB is attempting a downtown renaissance with restaurants, shops, and high rise living in the Mediterranean style with clay tile roofs, narrow streets, and tables out on the sidewalk around the WPB station. So we ate lunch at a pizza place then turned around and rode back to Orlando. Mission accomplished. I had visited Flagler Museum about 20 years ago so no biggie on the miss.

We did get to see our friend the Jupiter Lighthouse on the ride back in the distance. Yes we have climbed it but it is special to us because we lived in Jupiter as newlyweds.

I did manage to make a small video clip on the high speed track during our return journey. See how quickly we overtake cars going 75-80mph in the far lane in our direction?

We did get back in time to pack up all the outside stuff and load the bikes because tomorrow we vacate these campsite premises.

Good news is, though, we check into a Fort Wilderness cabin for a single night to relive old memories before the cabins are disposed of.

Gonna live the cabin life for about 24 hours tomorrow.

Bama Ed

PS - today reminds me of the time DS#2 and I were staying on the French Riviera in May and took the train just across the boarder into Italy and got off at the first town/stop to have lunch. We walked through the local market afterwards, got back on the train, and returned to France. All so that we could say we had traveled to Italy on that trip. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
PS - today reminds me of the time DS#2 and I were staying on the French Riviera in May and took the train just across the boarder into Italy and got off at the first town/stop to have lunch. We walked through the local market afterwards, got back on the train, and returned to France. All so that we could say we had traveled to Italy on that trip. :rotfl2:
Sounds like something Donna and I would do. :)

j

Enjoyed that a lot Thanks!
Now I will search for a Need for speed discount …

I wandered around there the day before it opened so I have a few pictures to share …

44169231-634E-48F2-92CD-AE6FF863F4EC.jpeg

53A1DA25-171A-4796-9878-BB705508BBB8.jpeg

The parking garage seemed really full that day until I realized it was close garage to access the airport monorail transit to the other terminals .
I really wanted to check out the new Disney Store in Terminal C but denied access thru security without a reservation .
Its very nice to wander .

Last edited:
Got in the cabin at 830am #2524. Just asked for something if immediately available. They gave me an accessible cabin which was fine. Roomy inside.

20240130_084753.jpg

Made breakfast here (bacon, eggs, biscuits) and had to call housekeeping to bring me a frying pan. :rotfl:

More later.

Bama Ed

I am having mixed feelings about change .
Those Cabins are the perfect design for a Fort .
I think the new cabin design is messed up when I look at the floor plan .
I expect DVC to announce in a few years the second sink in small room just might accommodate a small washer dryer after all and guess who gets to pay for redesign … plus it reminds me of a small apartment more than a Cabin .

Enjoy your afternoon
The sun is shining !

Yes I did ride the Brightline train with DW down to WPB and back today.

For those concerned about the price, I used a 50% off discount thus the trip was more affordable. One way prices between MCO and WPB range $49-$99 depending on time of day. And it is faster than driving between MCO and downtown WPB.

The train ride itself was the attraction, not anything in WPB (having lived in the area our first year of marriage). I had planned to spend the time between arrival and departure touring the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach but wouldn't you know I booked the train trip (the only day basically that fit our schedule just about) on the one day of the week the Museum was closed.

I am such a

But the Orlando/MCO station is new and beautiful (opened end of September 2023).

Merch.

Next post.

Bama Ed
Did you arrive at MCO by car or Disney bus? Just curious.

Did you arrive at MCO by car or Disney bus? Just curious.

Drove to MCO from FW. (We have our tow vehicle with us).

Out to Epcot Blvd and off the resort property toward I4 and straight ahead until it joins up into Hwy 417 (toll) to MCO. Took about 30 minutes.

Follow signs (and they will have a train symbol) to Terminal C (Intl Travel) Garage Parking. The Brightline Station is the big glass building where the Peoplemover takes travelers to the domestic terminal. Then follow the signage and go up the escalator to BL.

You can book a flat fee parking amount of $10 in Garage C when you book a ticket (which I overlooked). Driving in, you get a card and the max one-day rate is $24 which I paid via credit card when exiting. If you have a Sunpass, there is an entry lane for that and I assume it will deduct whatever parking fee you incur as you leave.

We left FW 2 hrs before our departure time which gave us plenty of time to get there and figure things out. You only board the train 10 minutes before departure. (It's like an airport boarding gate - they make announcements telling you to get ready, get down to the track level, and last call for boarding).

MCO (and Miami I assume) give more time since that's where the runs generally start and terminate. At WPB, the announcement said we would only be stopped for 2 minutes (which they announce as you approach) so you need to be ready get off (or get on as the case may be). It's similar to Euro high speed trains.

Bama Ed

Today, as I mentioned, we got a roomy accessible cabin even though we didn't ask for it. But I took lots of pics nevertheless for the record.

Tried the convection side of the microwave oven. What a piece of junk.

Next post.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter