• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC and Meet N Greets

Just to clarify, GAC is not for meet and greets. Point is GAC gives you no special rights that you or your child do not already have, it is just a quick way to communicate needs to CMs.

ADA rights are the same no mater where you are at Disney

For those who want more information look at the Fed DOJ ADA web site, or call your local office, they are very available and informative.

The ADA allows for equal access not "special rights".

Schmeck,
As you know ADA only list broad classes of disabilities not the particular manifestation of the disability that may prevent equal accommodation.
Social impairment from Autism or other causes is covered under 1(i& ii) and 4(ii) when is it so severe are to limit life activities
Sec.36.301 Eligibility criteria.
(a) General. A public accommodation shall not impose or apply eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out an individual with a disability or any class of individuals with disabilities from fully and equally enjoying any goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations, unless such criteria can be shown to be necessary for the provision of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations being offered.
(b) Safety. A public accommodation may impose legitimate safety requirements that are necessary for safe operation. Safety requirements must be based on actual risks and not on mere speculation, stereotypes, or generalizations about individuals with disabilities.
(c) Charges. A public accommodation may not impose a surcharge on a particular individual with a disability or any group of individuals with disabilities to cover the costs of measures, such as the provision of auxiliary aids, barrier removal, alternatives to barrier removal, and reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures, that are required to provide that individual or group with the nondiscriminatory treatment required by the Act or this part.
Disability means, with respect to an individual, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual; a record of such an impairment; or being regarded as having such an impairment.
Who Is eligible:
(1) The phrase physical or mental impairment means --
(i) Any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genitourinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine;
(ii) Any mental or psychological disorder such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities;
(iii) The phrase physical or mental impairment includes, but is not limited to, such contagious and noncontagious diseases and conditions as orthopedic, visual, speech, and hearing impairments, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, mental retardation, emotional illness, specific learning disabilities, HIV disease (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic), tuberculosis, drug addiction, and alcoholism;
(iv) The phrase physical or mental impairment does not include homosexuality or bisexuality.
(2) The phrase major life activities means functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
(3) The phrase has a record of such an impairment means has a history of, or has been misclassified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
(4) The phrase is regarded as having an impairment means --
(i) Has a physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit major life activities but that is treated by a private entity as constituting such a limitation;
(ii) Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits major life activities only as a result of the attitudes of others toward such impairment; or
(iii) Has none of the impairments defined in paragraph (1) of this definition but is treated by a private entity as having such an impairment.

Didn't answer the question - how does this relate to a meet and greet?

The ADA allows for equal access not "special rights".

The law does confer special rights to individuals with disabilities.

Like most discrimination laws these rights are for the purpose of "leveling" in this case equal access.

It is important to differentiate between a right under the law and the intended outcome of the legislation.

If you do not have a disability you have no "right" to ask for accommodations

Schmeck,

Since you work with ASD kids, you know that their ability to manage social situations is often limited and draining. Every ASD child is different so the amount of time they manage a particular social situation (in this case standing in line with strangers) varies by their "stamina"(the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort).

Of course it is not as simple as just social stamina since many ASD kids also are challenged by sensory issues in line also.

The law does confer special rights to individuals with disabilities.

Like most discrimination laws these rights are for the purpose of "leveling" in this case equal access.

It is important to differentiate between a right under the law and the intended outcome of the legislation.

If you do not have a disability you have no "right" to ask for accommodations

As I said the ADA provides for equal access-not better. It does not give special rights.

From the ADA "Public accommodations must comply with basic nondiscrimination requirements that prohibit exclusion, segregation, and unequal treatment. "

The law provides that the person with the disability can not be excluded due to their disability.

To the op-as I said before if you have a concern about a meet and greet your best bet would be to speak with the CM greeter. Sometimes they can assist by providing other options. Hope you have a great trip!

I've asked this questions a few times, but no one ever answers it. Perhaps someone on this thread will - my question is - what does the ADA actually cover for autism, anxiety, etc. Those "hidden" disabilities...

There are so many people that say Disney is great at helping those with disabilities, then there are those who talk about how these disabilities can easily be faked and how sad it would be for Disney to take away accommodations. On this thread, it seems like it's been stated that autism "has" to be accommodated by shorter lines, etc but then others state how this is better not just equal access. So... what actually had to be done for autism/anxiety type disablilities?

I've asked this questions a few times, but no one ever answers it. Perhaps someone on this thread will - my question is - what does the ADA actually cover for autism, anxiety, etc. Those "hidden" disabilities...

There are so many people that say Disney is great at helping those with disabilities, then there are those who talk about how these disabilities can easily be faked and how sad it would be for Disney to take away accommodations. On this thread, it seems like it's been stated that autism "has" to be accommodated by shorter lines, etc but then others state how this is better not just equal access. So... what actually had to be done for autism/anxiety type disablilities?

I will take a stab at answering your question. From what I understand, the ADA is primarily in place to prevent discrimination and provide EQUAL access, across the board (in jobs, schools, public spaces, housing, etc.). However, it's very easy to see how something like a Handicapped Parking spot is "special access" and then the ADA begins to seem questionable.

As to how it relates to theme parks, specifically? Well, not too much. Basically, it just ensures that there are accommodations in place for people in wheelchairs, the blind, and the hearing impaired. I believe the parts of the ADA dealing with "hidden" disabilities are all about ensuring equal access and preventing exclusion based upon said disability.

Now, from my own perspective, my two sons are on the Autism spectrum. We get a GAC at Disney, and all we need is a separate place to wait for attractions, anywhere other than the traditional queue line. One of our sons has a lot of claustrophobia/anxiety issues and personal space difficulties, so for his benefit and the benefit of the other people in line, we are better off waiting elsewhere. Now, I will say this, we are WILLING and CAPABLE of waiting, but we have NEVER waited more than 5 minutes to ride anything. While I admit it's nice (because honestly, we can only really ever get 2-3 hours of park time per day before we have to bail due to sensory overload, so it's good that we can actually get on some rides in that time), we have never asked for or expected shorter wait times. That is all Disney's doing, in the way they implement the GAC. We have always gone in asking for an alternate place to WAIT, and we end up with an "Guest may use and alternate entrance if available" stamp. Honestly, we are always just sent in the exit (at rides like the teacups) or through the FP line. If Disney actually had a GAC that provided the actual accommodation that we need, we would not be getting any special treatment. As it stands, I feel as if we are getting special treatment, and if they change to a new way of handling it where we have to wait as long as the standby line, we will happily do so. In fact, we had to do that at DL for Radiator Springs racers and it was not a problem for us at all. But, that is the exception rather than the rule, as it stands now.

I think with the exception of people with mobility issues, most people who get and use a GAC DO benefit from shorter or no wait times. Contrary to what you will hear on this board. People have a hard time admitting that they are getting special treatment at Disney parks, but it is happening.

I hope Disney finds a better way to handle GAC specifically for hidden disabilities. I think if they would really let the parents explain what type of assistance is needed, and tailored the GAC to the individual, it would work more fairly. As it is, the CM at MK guest relations on our last trip nearly bit my head off when I tried to tell her what type of GAC we needed. We have had many of them issued to us and I tried to tell her that my son has sensory issues and anxiety/claustrophobia in queues so he needs an alternate place to wait, and she cut me off and snapped "we know what stamp to put on the GAC, you only need to tell us what accommodations you need and we will choose the appropriate stamp." Uh...okay. I was trying to tell her what we needed and she got all huffy with me. How else am I supposed to explain it? I thought the naming of actual conditions were "irrelevant and unnecessary" so I didn't come out and say he has Autism, but I thought I WAS telling her what accommodations we needed. By the end, I felt like she thought we were totally faking it. She had helped us activate our AFS tickets and was all nice until we tried to get the GAC. Then, she turned into a real piece of work. I walked away from that feeling really sad. It shouldn't be like that. :worried:

DGal - Thank you so much for answering my post honestly. I've often thought that this is the way it works for a GAC for autism/anxiety, etc. but few will actually admit it. I also appreciate you answering how the ADA provides equal but not "special" although it is often is "special" at Disney. That's what I really wondered about. I don't begrudge those whose children actually need a GAC. It just gets so tireing for others to try to tell people that the GAC makes things longer. Of course it doesn't! - now it may for accessible cars but for walk on alternative entrance, it seems to be shorter. I would have loved to have known about the GAC when my children were younger. Luckily, most of their issues that would have warranted a GAC have gotten better. We've been so much that they learned what to expect and how to handle things better. I do wish there was a better way to handle these types of disabilities so people couldn't "cheat". Such is life though...

Thank you again and best of luck with your children.

DLgal--are you referring to Disney Land? That is what your name seems to imply. If so, it is not the same as Walt Disney World--unfortunately.

DLgal--are you referring to Disney Land? That is what your name seems to imply. If so, it is not the same as Walt Disney World--unfortunately.[/
I find that it works exactly the way that DLgal has said!
It may not do for people with mobility issues but it does for other issues people just don't like it.

DGal - Thank you so much for answering my post honestly. I've often thought that this is the way it works for a GAC for autism/anxiety, etc. but few will actually admit it. I also appreciate you answering how the ADA provides equal but not "special" although it is often is "special" at Disney. That's what I really wondered about. I don't begrudge those whose children actually need a GAC. It just gets so tireing for others to try to tell people that the GAC makes things longer. Of course it doesn't! - now it may for accessible cars but for walk on alternative entrance, it seems to be shorter. I would have loved to have known about the GAC when my children were younger. Luckily, most of their issues that would have warranted a GAC have gotten better. We've been so much that they learned what to expect and how to handle things better. I do wish there was a better way to handle these types of disabilities so people couldn't "cheat". Such is life though...

Thank you again and best of luck with your children.

DLgal is correct although many long time posters of the disability section tend to say otherwise.

I've been going to disney for 26 years every yr for at least 3wks it used to be 5, and have used GACs for many many years.
We have always had it work like DLgal has said, if it changes so we get a ticket to come back after posted wait times that will be fine for us as we use this at many parks in the UK and in universal, but as it stands we rarely wait more then 10 mins.
Many users that have mobility issues find waits are longer then standard que as they have to wait for a access car or boat, this is what makes many of them think that it's longer,
When for disabilities such as Autism etc will not find this is the case due to the accommodation given on the GAC,

This is why so many abuse the GAC and lie to get one! Why would so many do this if indeed they would spend longer getting on rides? There would be no abuse if this was the case as they would give up using the GAC once they realised.

The GAC helps us do what we need to in only half the time which means you can get out the park and back to the room before sensory overload. Or in my case at the moment while I am on treatment after head surgery for bone infection nr my brain before,I have to take my next dose of meds that I'm on that knock me for 6 and make me so sick all I can do is lie down while they kick in.
Which means I can like many others with similar conditions enjoy the parks.

Piper said:
DLgal--are you referring to Disney Land? That is what your name seems to imply. If so, it is not the same as Walt Disney World--unfortunately.

Both. Have used GAC at WDW on four trips now. Actually only used it on two DL trips, as we used to be locals and only went on rides when lines were under 10 minutes typically.

I do want to say, perhaps Disney's original intent for the GAC was actually to provide special treatment. Who knows? It does feel good to deal with one less obstacle in our lives while we are at Disney parks. Our lives are most certainly NOT otherwise sprinkled with pixie dust. Our last trip was actually pretty awful, due to autism "issues". DH and I playfully call it the "worst trip ever." Seriously...it was bad. I think Disney created the GAC as a goodwill gesture that has gotten completely out of control due to abuse.

True story... My own sister once said to me that we were LUCKY we could get a GAC. I looked at her and said, "no, we would have been lucky if our kids had been born not ever needing one." She has some integrity issues, apparently.

DGal - Thank you so much for answering my post honestly. I've often thought that this is the way it works for a GAC for autism/anxiety, etc. but few will actually admit it.

It's not a matter of some people "not admitting it" or other people being dishonest. The fact of the matter is, there is no absolute exact ONE way it's handled every single time under every single circumstance for every single guest at every single attraction on every single day. People come here reporting different experiences, and guess what? That doesn't mean some of them "aren't admitting" something or saying "how it works;" it means they're relating their own experiences, and their experiences were DIFFERENT.

I've gone to the same attraction three times on the same day with the same disability and the same GAC with the same stamp, and had it handled three different ways by three different CM's. Crowd levels were different, the number of people waiting for the same accommodation was different, and the CM's understanding was different, despite my explanation. The GAC is not one-size-fits-all; it's not even one-size-fits-you.

Yes, there have been times when having a GAC resulted in a shorter wait for me. But that was a side effect, not the intended purpose.

It's not a matter of some people "not admitting it" or other people being dishonest. The fact of the matter is, there is no absolute exact ONE way it's handled every single time under every single circumstance for every single guest at every single attraction on every single day. People come here reporting different experiences, and guess what? That doesn't mean some of them "aren't admitting" something or saying "how it works;" it means they're relating their own experiences, and their experiences were DIFFERENT.

I've gone to the same attraction three times on the same day with the same disability and the same GAC with the same stamp, and had it handled three different ways by three different CM's. Crowd levels were different, the number of people waiting for the same accommodation was different, and the CM's understanding was different, despite my explanation. The GAC is not one-size-fits-all; it's not even one-size-fits-you.

Yes, there have been times when having a GAC resulted in a shorter wait for me. But that was a side effect, not the intended purpose.

This is correct. There are different stamps, so they could very well result in different experiences.

HOWEVER, we have always had the same stamp, and across 6 trips (2 at DL, 4 at WDW), each trip a week long, we had the EXACT SAME experience at every attraction, every time, with the one exception of Radiator Springs Racers at DCA. This is over a period of 4 years now, on trips in the months of August, November, December, and April. All varying degrees of crowd levels. That is OUR experience.

The wording on the GAC simply states that it is not intended for IMMEDIATE ride access, but it most definitely has never resulted in longer or even equal to standby waits for us. We tend to repeat the same attractions over and over again (thanks Autism!) and our experiences are always very consistent.

I am not trying to imply that others are lying or not being honest, but it seems like every time someone starts a post here about the GAC, they are immediately bombarded with cautionary tales about how the GAC will not shorten wait times, blah, blah, blah. It's nonsense. I wish people would tell it like it is.

This is correct. There are different stamps, so they could very well result in different experiences.

HOWEVER, we have always had the same stamp, and across 6 trips (2 at DL, 4 at WDW), each trip a week long, we had the EXACT SAME experience at every attraction, every time, with the one exception of Radiator Springs Racers at DCA. This is over a period of 4 years now, on trips in the months of August, November, December, and April. All varying degrees of crowd levels. That is OUR experience.

The wording on the GAC simply states that it is not intended for IMMEDIATE ride access, but it most definitely has never resulted in longer or even equal to standby waits for us. We tend to repeat the same attractions over and over again (thanks Autism!) and our experiences are always very consistent.

I am not trying to imply that others are lying or not being honest, but it seems like every time someone starts a post here about the GAC, they are immediately bombarded with cautionary tales about how the GAC will not shorten wait times, blah, blah, blah. It's nonsense. I wish people would tell it like it is.

The parts I've bolded are to show that I was *also* talking about having the same stamp. Of course *different* stamps will have different results.

The parts I've underlined contradict each other. They can't both be true. Either people are being honest about their experiences, or they're talking nonsense and not telling it like it is. One can't have it both ways.

Your experiences have been consistent and that's great for you. But you can't speak for everybody, and I don't think it does anybody any favors to try.

I am not trying to imply that others are lying or not being honest, but it seems like every time someone starts a post here about the GAC, they are immediately bombarded with cautionary tales about how the GAC will not shorten wait times, blah, blah, blah. It's nonsense. I wish people would tell it like it is.[/QUOTE]

This is what I've been waiting to hear!!! Of course the GAC shortens wait times MOST of the time, not ALL. I also feel some posters are trying to just keep it under wraps and try to discourage others from using it by saying how it won't shorten waits. Why the abuse if it didn't give some advantage! It would be great to find some way to stop abuse but I really don't see how that will happen until they develop a system where you have to wait the amount of time for the standby line, but it a different location.

Again, thank you for being honest and telling it how it really its!

Here is me telling it like it is. This is all based on our trips to Disneyland, we have not made it over to WDW yet since we are on the West Coast of Canada.

Here is a summary of our 3 experiences using a GAC with our autistic son.

Does it make some ride waits shorter?

Yes, a few. Mostly FL rides that are not accessible because of their age. Also, the tight dark lines for those rides are a nightmare for our son and for everyone around us. Roger Rabbit is one that no matter how short the regular line is (and we have been there where there was NO ONE ahead of us), DS will not go through the line and we have to go through the exit. It just triggers him into a meltdown. :confused3

Does it make some wait times longer?

Again, yes. POTC is a perfect example of one that has never had a shorter wait in the accessible area. So, we make the call, do we wait longer in an area that DS is more comfortable, do we wait in the regular line and risk him freaking out or do we skip the ride? We have done all three, depending on our son's temperament that day.

Does it make no real difference in wait time but allow us to wait in an area that is more suited to DS?

Yes, Peter Pan is a good example. We have always waited around the same amount of time in the accessible area as the estimated stand by time but it is not a dark, tight and crowded so DS deals with it. Of course, this means that in 3 trips, I have yet to see the really cool ambiance of the dark FL ride lines. I've heard that Snow White is a good one but I've missed it. RR is my husband's favourite line but as I said above, we have to skip that or risk a meltdown.

Will you get people who say that they always get to go to the FOTL with a GAC?

Yes, but YMMV and it has not been our experience so far.

Will you get people who say they always wait longer with a GAC?

Yes, but YMMV and it has not been our experience so far.

But the really important one is this...Does it allow people with a disability enjoy Disneyland in a similar way to those without a disability?

Yes and at the end of the day that IMHO is all that matters.

The most obvious evidence that the GAC provides an advantage is the abuse of it, as has already been mentioned. Plain and simple. People wouldn't get an unnecessary GAC by lying if it didn't benefit them in some way.

I even know of people who use the "stroller as wheelchair" designation just because their kids are lazy. Seriously. It's pathetic and sad. Wish people like that knew what it is really like to have kids with issues.

Again, this is Disney's problem to solve.

ttintagel said:
The parts I've underlined contradict each other. They can't both be true. Either people are being honest about their experiences, or they're talking nonsense and not telling it like it is. One can't have it both ways.

Your experiences have been consistent and that's great for you. But you can't speak for everybody, and I don't think it does anybody any favors to try.

Well, obviously it's not 100% one or the other. Some people are honest but I am willing to bet that a large number are talking nonsense. I certainly cannot be the ONLY person whose GAC experience means never waiting more than 5 minutes. It's not like I've been singled out by Disney and when I show up to get a GAC, an all points bulletin goes out to CMs parkwide to throw policy out the window when my family approaches an attraction.

I just get tired of people not owning up to the truth about the GAC for HIDDEN disabilities. I absolutely can see how mobility related GACs can result in much longer wait times so I am not attempting to speak to that side of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter