• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GAC and Meet N Greets

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
I understand there are changes coming but as of right now with the current GAC I have a question. I know you can't use your GAC at Meet N Greets. Are they considering Enchanted Tales with Belle a meet N Greet and we can't use or pass? Anyone with knowledge or experience with this?

Also by chance are there any Meet N Greets in any of the parks that let you use your GAC?

In February we could not use our GAC at Enchanted Tales with Belle. We were prepared to skip it but we ended up going during the fireworks when there weren't many people in line so we could spread out to give our DD more room.

We don't do a lot of M&G. In the past few years the ones we've done have been Mickey and the princesses in MK which we FPed and Character Connection in MK which we beelined to in order to be first in line, and Merida in MK which we also beelined to in order to be at the beginning of the line.

I haven't really tried using my GAC for character M&Gs but I have found the handler cms to be very helpful. I have to wear a facemask for most of my time in the parks so I do have a visible "sign" that the cms notice. On of my favorite things is interacting with the characters and I've had some great interactions. For Stich, I wait on one of the benches by the facepainting and Stitch always interacts with me on his way to his break. Last Sunday he licked me and kissed the top of my head. A lot of times I'll ask the cm if I can wait to be the last one in line before it closes and haven't had any issues. They usually have me wait to the side or on a nearby bench and call me over before closing the line. I still wait but it's a lot easier on me. The cms are often willing to work with guests, just be nice to them.

In general, you should not count on GACs to help with Meet and Greets, not even the ones that are in set locations like Mickey on Main Street. Even those with visible cues (wheelchairs, crutches, etc) are told they must wait in line.

As people have said, the GAC process is evolving, and may change in the future. But my current understanding is that the GAC currently does not help with M&Gs

FP+ has some meet and greets, including Enchanted with Belle! I was happy to see that. That will help those of us that use GACs a lot.

We only get on the short lines for characters. Once near Midway Mania, a CM saw us by the indoor Buzz meet and greet, and snuck us in the back door. We take only a few moments, no autographs for us.

Enchanted Tales With Belle has been reported both ways - some people have been told that GACs are not accepted there and others have been able to use them. In the cases of not being allowed, CMs have apparently not looked at the GAC to see the stamps before saying no. So, it's possible that whether or not GACs are allowed has to do ith the number of people waiting and the configuration they are using inside at the time.

Fastpass Plus will be helpful there.

It is always important to remember that your child has the same rights and Disney has the same responsibility under ADA whether you have or can use a GAC.

For meet and greets or any other attraction or venue, if the nature of the "structure" (line etc) prevents your child form participating then Disney must accommodate (they can not legally say just use the line).

The good news is that I have found that if you approach the handler of other CMs who are managing the event, they will almost always go above and beyond to accommodate our kids.

It is always important to remember that your child has the same rights and Disney has the same responsibility under ADA whether you have or can use a GAC.

For meet and greets or any other attraction or venue, if the nature of the "structure" (line etc) prevents your child form participating then Disney must accommodate (they can not legally say just use the line).

I don't think this is correct. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable posters can follow up.

Chickenlady said:
I don't think this is correct. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable posters can follow up.

You are right. It's not correct. The meet and greet lines are ADA compliant. The GAC is not ADA regulated. It is not supposed to be used for meet and greets. However, ETWB is not really strictly a M&G anyway, since not everyone actually has a M&G opportunity.

Last October we took DS (then 6, with autism) to a ton of meet & greets. We did have a GAC, but never used it, though we do use his stroller as a wheelchair - I believe we were told the GAC did not apply to the meet & greets. He was dying to see the Princesses a couple times and Merida - both lines were so long, and he handled it (much to our surprise). If he had no interest in the character, I'm sure he would not have tolerated such a long wait.

Last year in November (Thanksgiving week) we were able to use GAC for ETWB. CM directed us to the left and we only waited until the next show. It happened on 2 occasions (our 2 MK days). It did not seem like it was treated as M&G at that time.

I have lots of experience with ADA surrounding enforcement.

While the meet and greet lines meet the standards for most physical disabilities depending on the individual needs of the person with the disability they do not for many non physical disabilities and therefore Disney must make reasonable accommodations.

Children with autism who do no have the social stamina are one of the most common situations

You can use your FP+ to select ETWB which would serve the same purpose. I was not sure if my kids would be interested or think they are too old so I made a FP+ just in case.

While the meet and greet lines meet the standards for most physical disabilities depending on the individual needs of the person with the disability they do not for many non physical disabilities and therefore Disney must make reasonable accommodations.

Children with autism who do no have the social stamina are one of the most common situations

You may have "experience" but very few others report what you claim is true.

To the OP-There are options for those who want to do a meet and greet. Your best bet is to speak to the greeter. Often a CM will suggest one person waiting in line for the character while the other parent waits to the side with the child with needs. There are greets with FP available and you can also book a character meal to meet characters.

I can tell you, the GAC does not work for 99% of character locations (the GAC is meant for attractions). It may work for certain character meets (usually the permanent ones, like TST), but it doesn't work for the others

Just to clarify, GAC is not for meet and greets. Point is GAC gives you no special rights that you or your child do not already have, it is just a quick way to communicate needs to CMs.

ADA rights are the same no mater where you are at Disney

For those who want more information look at the Fed DOJ ADA web site, or call your local office, they are very available and informative.

When we went in June I had to get a GAC and after talking with a castmember there is really no way to use the GAC on the Belle attraction at Magic Kingdom but she did say that during fireworks or even some days during the parade is the best time to go. We went during the fireworks and got out right as they ended. It wasn't crowded inside and no wait to get in.

I've never seen 'social stamina' listed under ADA. Would love for you to put in a link for its section in ADA?

Schmeck,
As you know ADA only list broad classes of disabilities not the particular manifestation of the disability that may prevent equal accommodation.
Social impairment from Autism or other causes is covered under 1(i& ii) and 4(ii) when is it so severe are to limit life activities
Sec.36.301 Eligibility criteria.
(a) General. A public accommodation shall not impose or apply eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out an individual with a disability or any class of individuals with disabilities from fully and equally enjoying any goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations, unless such criteria can be shown to be necessary for the provision of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations being offered.
(b) Safety. A public accommodation may impose legitimate safety requirements that are necessary for safe operation. Safety requirements must be based on actual risks and not on mere speculation, stereotypes, or generalizations about individuals with disabilities.
(c) Charges. A public accommodation may not impose a surcharge on a particular individual with a disability or any group of individuals with disabilities to cover the costs of measures, such as the provision of auxiliary aids, barrier removal, alternatives to barrier removal, and reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures, that are required to provide that individual or group with the nondiscriminatory treatment required by the Act or this part.
Disability means, with respect to an individual, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual; a record of such an impairment; or being regarded as having such an impairment.
Who Is eligible:
(1) The phrase physical or mental impairment means --
(i) Any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genitourinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine;
(ii) Any mental or psychological disorder such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities;
(iii) The phrase physical or mental impairment includes, but is not limited to, such contagious and noncontagious diseases and conditions as orthopedic, visual, speech, and hearing impairments, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, mental retardation, emotional illness, specific learning disabilities, HIV disease (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic), tuberculosis, drug addiction, and alcoholism;
(iv) The phrase physical or mental impairment does not include homosexuality or bisexuality.
(2) The phrase major life activities means functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
(3) The phrase has a record of such an impairment means has a history of, or has been misclassified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
(4) The phrase is regarded as having an impairment means --
(i) Has a physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit major life activities but that is treated by a private entity as constituting such a limitation;
(ii) Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits major life activities only as a result of the attitudes of others toward such impairment; or
(iii) Has none of the impairments defined in paragraph (1) of this definition but is treated by a private entity as having such an impairment.

Just to clarify, GAC is not for meet and greets. Point is GAC gives you no special rights that you or your child do not already have, it is just a quick way to communicate needs to CMs.

ADA rights are the same no mater where you are at Disney

For those who want more information look at the Fed DOJ ADA web site, or call your local office, they are very available and informative.

I bring my nephew who is autistic and has BiPolar disorder to Disney in the fall and the end of Jan when weather is cooler and crowds are smaller. We do get the GAC but only use it when necessary. We go to character meals so he can interct with characters without having to stand in lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter