DVC Trip # 2 - BLT and BWV Split Stay(Critters and Final comments added)

Are you using Disney wifi to upload photos? I had a terrible time and ended up buying 4G data for my iPad because I just couldn't get photos to upload.

No, my trip was the 16th-24 and I'm home now. I'm doing my trip report day by day because it's fun this way and it does take a couple hours for each post. The resort wifi was fine while we were there on my iPad. I bought a universal card memory card reader at Target the day before our trip. I could not find the camera usb. I have the iPad camera kit and thankfully I was able to download my pictures from my iPhone and Sony camera each night. I'm using the iPad ImageShack application to upload my pictures to their web site.

Enjoy :love:

Loving your TR!

I'm planning to stay at BLT for the first time next spring and your pictures are getting me so excited to do that.

Glad to get a good review of Garden Grill - definitely want to try that some time.

Looking forward to your lunch at Sanaa - that's one of my absolute favorites.

All eight of you were in that two bedroom - pretty impressive!

Your pictures are great - what kind of camera do you have? I'm looking to upgrade soon.

My primary camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-H55. It has a 10x zoom and 14.1 mega pixels. It's been a great little point and shoot. We bought this for my daughter a couple years ago. I had a couple days when the battery ran out and I used my iPhone. You've reminded me that I need to gather everybody's pictures. My wife took a lot of pictures with her older Cybershot and I've not yet looked at them yet.
Be careful with my reviews. I tend to be on the positive side. I'm no food critique and I can't think of a bad meal I've ever had at WDW. That being said, I'll do my best to give my opinion and feel free to ask questions.

I'll need three posts to cover day four because I want to show you three DVC resorts, one park and a great restaurant. I'm adding about 25 pictures for each post.

We had a 2pm ressie for Sanna. The restaurant or resort was not crowded. I believe Sanaa was just opening when we arrived. We gave our names and had time to check out the savannah.

imageorr.jpg

By dvc_dreamer at 2012-06-30

imageseo.jpg

imagecxq.jpg

imagetevb.jpg

imageuru.jpg

This shot is just outside the entrance of Sanaa. You can check out the property while you wait for your table and buzzer to go off. Cool, right?

imagerda.jpg

We're starving hungry by this time. I've only had a strawberry parfait for breakfast. Let me say again that the wait staff was amazing. We enjoyed their conversation and friendliness.

imagedwn.jpg

This is a cool shot with the mango margarita in the foreground and a cute visitor in the background. He had a nest right by the window.

imageyxii.jpg

Nice panorama from inside Sanaa.

imageuzk.jpg

The bread starter is to die for. I really enjoyed the different breads and dips.
Highly recommended and two of these were good for our party of eight. Great starters to go with our drinks.

imagecuy.jpg

Pooh character tattoo's and shrimp.

imagewnj.jpg

DW's burger

imageldq.jpg

Chicken and Shrimp

imagesab.jpg

My beef and shrimp.

imagecjz.jpg

These dishes all have fancy names. I didn't record the names but I can tell you they were all yummy! Indian fare is the best description I can give.

After dinner, we asked the DVC CM if we could tour a room and he was very nice and helpful. There was another couple in the two bedroom demo but we were able to check it out.

Master bed

imageyhe.jpg

I liked this tile in the master bath.

imagekbg.jpg

View from the balcony. This room's not far from the main lobby.

imagexjc.jpg

DW and I really wanted to check out the pool. The rest of the group wanted to head to our new room at BWV. We lost and agreed to make our way to BWV. Part of our group took the bus to the main AKL to check it out and catch the bus. The rest of us took the bus to AK and then a bus to BWV. There are no buses that go from resort to resort. You have to go from a park to resort. One of us on the bus, (I'll hide they're identity) had to go to the bathroom. Our first stop was Blizzard Beach. Can't get off there and go without a ticket. Luckily, the Dolphin was our next stop. I knew it would have a bathroom and we could walk to the Boardwalk.

Disaster avoided, we make our way to Boardwalk to catch up with others.

imageklsq.jpg

I have a great love for this area and lots of memories from my Lotusphere conference days.

I catch a couple shots as I make my way to the Boardwalk.

imagewed.jpg

imagemox.jpg

imageytr.jpg

I'm out of uploaded pictures and time. I still have to cover our check-in at BWV and our evening at EPCOT. Stay tuned...

DVC_Dreamer, I am loving your trip report!
Beautiful pictures. Can you elaborate on the kind on camera you have?

Hey now you know where I got my countdown timer photo--the tile in the Master Bath at Kidani.

Thanks for posting such a great TR. Looking forward to the BWV segment.

DVC_Dreamer, I am loving your trip report!
Beautiful pictures. Can you elaborate on the kind on camera you have?

Hurray for TR !!!! Thanks for the kudos. So much fun.

My camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-H55 and it's a couple years old. It's easy to use with many features. As you can tell, I love the panoramic shots. There are many easy settings and manual modes. I took pictures literally and liberally all the time. One handed, on the run, on the rides, you name it and I was shooting. I didn't even bother with my new video camera and did some video with this camera.

I'm glad you'all have liked my pictures. I almost bought a new model but decided this one would do.

When my battery went low, I switched to iPhone. DW was taking pictures with her older Sony Cybershot and you'll see some of those mixed in with mine very soon.

I seriously have this trip documented every step of the way.

Loving it !!! :yay: Hope the views surpass last year's TR.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of the rooms! They look so much like the VGC layout, only with the modern decor that I'm sure we'll love it.

Also glad that you were able to use all of your fastpasses. We've never tried to do that at Disneyland, always just gotten a bunch in the morning, then used them in the afternoon after naptime. Its going to be an adjustment for us to figure out how to use them when they're eligible. Hoping they'll have the pre-reserved FP system up before our trip ...

Also great that you enjoyed the food. We love food. I read so many negative reviews, and of how the food has gone downhill, but if its still decent, just not as good as it was before (and is higher priced now), I'm sure we'll enjoy it immensely. Especially considering I have no idea what I ate last time I was at Disney World in the early 90's. :laughing:

Don't you just love AKL!!! Your pictures are great and i'm learning to be a little more patient:thumbsup2, just don't tell my wife!!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of the rooms! They look so much like the VGC layout, only with the modern decor that I'm sure we'll love it.

Also glad that you were able to use all of your fastpasses. We've never tried to do that at Disneyland, always just gotten a bunch in the morning, then used them in the afternoon after naptime. Its going to be an adjustment for us to figure out how to use them when they're eligible. Hoping they'll have the pre-reserved FP system up before our trip ...

Also great that you enjoyed the food. We love food. I read so many negative reviews, and of how the food has gone downhill, but if its still decent, just not as good as it was before (and is higher priced now), I'm sure we'll enjoy it immensely. Especially considering I have no idea what I ate last time I was at Disney World in the early 90's. :laughing:

I know when we researched DVC we enjoyed the pictures of the rooms. I'm doing my best to give you a few angles.

We didn't use our fastpasses every time. We made a few people happy when we gave them up and they were still valid. We did make very good use of FP's we used and we didn't wait in many long lines.

I kind of don't know how to answer the question, "Was it crowded?". My answer is that "It depends." It's not as crowded as Christmas but there's a lot of people. I don't like to wait in lines but I can't complain. We didn't wait too much.

When I was in college, many complained about the food. Our food was done by Marriott. I had no complaints and I put on about 30lbs in college. :)
I've read the negative complaints about the food going down hill. I don't know about that. I really enjoyed our meals. We had sit downs at Sanaa, Kona, Sci-Fi, 1900 Park Fare and Garden Grill. There are higher end restaurants I know but my stomach was very happy all week. :banana:
Fresh fruit, veggies, bread, meats and salads were all great. My DD eats vegan and she was delighted with the special treatment by the chefs. I wish I had this kind of variety at home. I need to hit the lottery and get a chef. :hippie:

The only way to know for sure is to try yourself. Everybody's tastes are different. I've got a good feeling that you'll enjoy.

Don't you just love AKL!!! Your pictures are great and i'm learning to be a little more patient:thumbsup2, just don't tell my wife!!

AKL is amazing.

I share your challenge with patience. I'm already getting impatient for my next trip. ;)

The Villas at Kidani are a short bus ride from the main lodge and Jambo house.
The DVC tour guide told us that the rooms are a bit larger than the converted DVC's at Jambo at the main lodge.

I could be wrong but the vibe at Kidani seemed a bit too quiet for me. I think I might enjoy staying at Jambo better where it's closer to the lodge.
I'd be interested in what other's feel about Kidani vs. Jambo.

All in all, I still like my BLT and it's location. I really like being in the MK region. When they build DVC at Poly, I'm so there.

Hang in there... I'm only half through my trip report with lots more pictures.

To start, a couple bonus shots from my DW's camera that I just downloaded from her memory card.

Here we are waiting for dinner at Sanaa.

imagepye.jpg

By dvc_dreamer at 2012-07-01

imagedmj.jpg

On my walk from the Dolphin, I took a bunch of pictures as I made my way to the room.

imageuiu.jpg

imagepsv.jpg

I love the Boardwalk area !!!

imagedtt.jpg

imageufzv.jpg

imagexuh.jpg

DW and DD were already at the room when DS and I joined them at BWV.

imagezwb.jpg

Getting acquainted with our new digs.

imagefhsn.jpg

Living room and kitchen area.

imageisq.jpg

imageysy.jpg

imageiyu.jpg

imagepfl.jpg

Second bedroom

imageidy.jpg

Master bathroom

imagehkzf.jpg

Master bedroom

imagelhk.jpg

The view from my bedroom is of the quiet pool.

imagehnun.jpg

We call up bell services and they bring our bags from BLT straight away. Again, super service. After unpacking, I've got a second wind. I'm not hungry. I actually skip dinner that night since we had a late lunch. We head over to EPCOT for the night.
I'm so excited to catch some tunes with the Billy Joel tribute band, "Big Shot".
imagebge.jpg

DW snapped a couple cool early evening shots of EPCOT. These are from her camera.

imagentu.jpg

imagewul.jpg

imagevfq.jpg

Her camera is not as great in low light as mine but these shots are pretty cool.

We stay late enough to enjoy Illuminations. By the end of Illuminations, my feet hurt and I'm tired. It's been a long, fun day. We walk back to our new room at BWV. Nice.
We really had an easy transfer to our new room. Tired now, time for night, nights....:cloud9:

I hear some commotion in other rooms about sleeping arrangements. DW "fixes" it with some stern words. Yo, kids, don't forget who's paying the bill !
They patch it up in morning....

Day 5 is Hollywood Studio's ... get ready for some Tower of Terror. :scared1:

Thanks for taking the time to do your TR!! Lovin' it :thumbsup2

But, now I may have to change my plans...LOL. We are going in May/June 2013 and I had decided on a OKW/BCV split stay. Now I may change it to BLT/BCV. Your pics and review of BLT are great and making me rethink it all. :rotfl2:

AKL is amazing.

I share your challenge with patience. I'm already getting impatient for my next trip. ;)

The Villas at Kidani are a short bus ride from the main lodge and Jambo house.
The DVC tour guide told us that the rooms are a bit larger than the converted DVC's at Jambo at the main lodge.

I could be wrong but the vibe at Kidani seemed a bit too quiet for me. I think I might enjoy staying at Jambo better where it's closer to the lodge.
I'd be interested in what other's feel about Kidani vs. Jambo.

All in all, I still like my BLT and it's location. I really like being in the MK region. When they build DVC at Poly, I'm so there.

Hang in there... I'm only half through my trip report with lots more pictures.
We have reservations at AKV the first week in May. We were thinking of doing a split stay and trying to get a few nights at BCV. Now I'm thinking BLT with its easy convenience to MK. What do you think my chances are for getting a 1 BR the first week of May??

Thanks for taking the time to do your TR!! Lovin' it :thumbsup2

But, now I may have to change my plans...LOL. We are going in May/June 2013 and I had decided on a OKW/BCV split stay. Now I may change it to BLT/BCV. Your pics and review of BLT are great and making me rethink it all. :rotfl2:

Everyone has they're own likes and dislikes. My opinions are heavy on location. I really like "hanging" close to parks. Others like the big themed/quiet resorts. DW would argue that BLT has a cool, contemporary theme. :thumbsup2

I think a BLT/BCV would be an awesome combo. :hippie:

We have reservations at AKV the first week in May. We were thinking of doing a split stay and trying to get a few nights at BCV. Now I'm thinking BLT with its easy convenience to MK. What do you think my chances are for getting a 1 BR the first week of May??

If you love the MK resort area like me, go for it ! Do your kids love MK? Go for it.

I would like to do a trip and split AKV and BLT. I would do more days at BLT because of location and easy access to the other parks. That's me.

I can't guess on availability but I would think first week of May is a possibility compared to other busier times of year.

Good Luck!

I spent some time walking around the resort and getting familiar with my surroundings. I was surprised to find that there are no self-serve drink stations for our purchased cups. You can get them filled at the bars, bakery and sweet shop. Coffee, at the resort bar area, is self serve. I did remember my own coffee and filters. During the trip, I make my own and use my mug at the drink station. I'm not sure about half and half at resort so I buy a pint at the store and a large danish for the crew.

We get up a bit late this 5th morning. It's past 8am and we don't bother the group too much to get rolling. We learn that my DS's friend is hurting but trying to be nice. DW gets to the bottom of it to find that she has serious pain in her knees. Come to find out, she has a painful knee condition. We ask her if she'd consider a wheelchair for today's park trip.

We get to HS at 10am.

imagequb.jpg

I'm so glad she's more comfortable in a wheelchair. Her inflammation gets a chance to heal and she can have fun too without the pain.

imageniy.jpg

DD makes a run for FP's to Toy Story while we get in line for TOT.

imagetyf.jpg

imagekue.jpg

imagexhp.jpg

DS's girlfriend is afraid of these dropping rides and has an exhilarating experience. She's glad to conquer TOT for first time.

The line is too long for RR so we go for a milkshake. At least DW calls it a milkshake. I guess you have to wait for it to melt in the hot FL sun. Speaking of heat, we get reports from back home in CT that they're having a serious heat wave at almost 100 degrees. I remember saying, "We escaped a NE heat wave by going to FL in the summer?". Weird. Our weather for this trip was great.

imagegwc.jpg

DS loves Stitch and we catch a quick picture with the little rascal. He burps on us. <kidding> Chili dog I think...

imageuhn.jpg

We make our way to the car stunt show.

imagealpp.jpg

imagecnqr.jpg

imageduza.jpg

On our way over to Star Tours, we begin to get a little rain.

imageuerv.jpg

I ride Star Tours but I have to close my eyes half way through due to motion sickness. The kids love it. I enjoy but only to a point.

Sci-Fi for early dinner. I love this place. Can you tell?

imagehbp.jpg

Sorry, I was hungry and started eating before I took my meal picture. This pastrami rueben was awesome. Tender and tasty.

imageufn.jpg

DD had the chef come out and he was so nice explaining the veggie burger and adding a portebello mushroom. Sweet potato fries are yummy too. We've begun making these at home too.

imageiom.jpg

The theme of this restaurant in the drive-in with old Sci-Fi movies is great.

imageqon.jpg

Kids, "Don't play with your food."

imagerpf.jpg

We use our Toy Story FP's finally. This is one ride where wheelchair is not an advantage. There's only one vehicle and you have to wait for it with all others.

Fun ride and DD beats my score.

imageeppd.jpg

We get rained on without poncho's or umbrellas and make it to Muppets. After Muppets, we do RR and TOT. I love how fast RR takes off. It's amazing .

imagekud.jpg

We ride boat back to Boardwalk.

imageinr.jpg

imagejtgj.jpg

Some resort pictures from bar, lobby and gift shop.
This is where I get my coffee most mornings.

imagemhrt.jpg

Lobby at BWV.

imageesaz.jpg

imagehnq.jpg

imagelfkx.jpg

The vibe and decor at this resort reminds me of the Beach Club. It takes me a couple days to settle in and know where to go for stuff. We chill this 5th night. The family got me a card and Amazon gift card. I buy some new music on my iPad. Early night so we can do some commando MK on our 6th day...

Everyone has they're own likes and dislikes. My opinions are heavy on location. I really like "hanging" close to parks. Others like the big themed/quiet resorts. DW would argue that BLT has a cool, contemporary theme. :thumbsup2

I think a BLT/BCV would be an awesome combo. :hippie:

With you there--that is why I know own BLT and BWV--I love being so close to it all.

We have done the BLT/BCV split and liked that as well...can't wait to here the rest of the trip...like I said earlier, making me get really excited for my upcoming trip!!

Day 6 was a good day to park hop. We'd been to MK and EPCOT earlier in our trip and now it was time to fill in for places we missed.

For my trip report, I take notes each night. That's how I can come home and report back a daily record. I left my notebook at work yesterday. I'll post heavy on the pictures and fill in any commentary later from my notes.

The pictures tell the story and I took over 200 on this 6th day.

Here's a bunch from the Boardwalk area. This area is so gorgeous and I took a bunch of shots. These are from early morning.

imagedch.jpg

By dvc_dreamer at 2012-07-02

imageouoj.jpg

imagekvcx.jpg

imagewtr.jpg

Yacht & Beach Club

imageojy.jpg

Dolphin in the distance.

imagetsuy.jpg

Boardwalk Villas

imagezqp.jpg

Boardwalk entrance to BWV

imagehuuc.jpg

imagelzh.jpg

Stairs and sign on way to lobby of BWV

imagewdq.jpg

We got out of bed and on the bus early enough to make MK by 8:30 am. DS says to me, "Why are they letting everyone into the park already?" I respond that those people either have breakfast reservations or tours. Our bad. To our surprise, MK had extra magic hour and opened at 8am. No problem, except we missed opening show. It's a good thing I did the video earlier in week. Still, the park is not crowded yet and we can ride lots of FantasyLand before the big crowds come.

imageavs.jpg

Looking back at Main Street from Castle

imagerva.jpg

Too cute kids on the tea cups

imagerxy.jpg

Goofy and Goofier

imagefbqz.jpg

While sitting down to a cool, frozen Coke, we notice Trash, the talking trash can. It was cute watching him goof on the kids.

imageycrr.jpg

I catch the real Goofy on his way to give autographs.

imagetuc.jpg

The family is ready for lunch and decides on Pinnochio Haus. I'm somehow reminded that I really want to try the waffle sandwich. DD and I go and find the quick service spot in Liberty Square that has the waffle sandwich. We grab my sandwich and meet the crew at Pinnochio Haus for lunch.

imagexetg.jpg

imagexlnl.jpg

I enjoy my sandwich with some vinaigrette dressing.

imagekesp.jpg

DW and I decide to do something "provocative" on the Splash picture. DD decides to block our efforts. :)

imagebfkh.jpg

I did a bunch of goofy poses this day. Oh, who am I kidding. I'm goofy all the time.

imagengq.jpg

I get several comments on my tshirt during this day from people that live in my area back home. This young lady grew up in our hometown and noticed us. We get a picture with her.

imageyfl.jpg

We spent half day in MK and half in EPCOT. Stay tuned for second half of this day as I'll report on that soon...

Ooh that waffle sandwich looks good. Pinnochio Haus, you say? I need to start compiling a list of yummy counter service places, all the food you ate looks awesome!

taaren said:
Ooh that waffle sandwich looks good. Pinnochio Haus, you say? I need to start compiling a list of yummy counter service places, all the food you ate looks awesome!

I picked up the waffle sandwich on the way to Pinnochio Haus. There's a quick service in Liberty Square that has the fresh waffle sandwich and treats.
I use allears.net for looking up menus. I used it from my iPhone while in the parks.
Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter