Dolphin TOIL & TROUBLE...DISNEY FEELING?

WOW Dreamflight!! What a horror story!! Can you tell me what awful room number you had at the Dolphin so I don't end up with it?

yum-yum burgers do you wash them down with a frozen coke!!!

Originally posted by Gilligan
Dreamflight - these allegations are very serious, and have worried the British contingency greatly. Good grief, woman - next you'll be telling us the hotel provides warm, snuggly towelling robes! This won't do at all. On behalf of all the Brits, I am bravely going to volunteer me and my family to investigate these dreadful, dreadful claims of efficiency and helpfulness. We shall arrive in 10 days' time. Obviously we shall need to investigate the room first, but then we shall investigate the pool. If it's as shocking as I anticipate, I shall have to avail myself of a long, cool drink (or two) to calm my nerves. I have heard rumours (I cannot reveal my source) that you can even be subjected to...a massage and other beauty/health treatments. I may need to go several times to be able to report back on this.

:jester: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :jester:
LOL....Gilligan, I must admit I "Adore" British humor! ;) BTW...The hotel DOES Provide warm snuggly Towelling ROBES in a Waffle-weave! They are even "embroidered" with the resort's LOGO?! How VAIN & PRECOCIOUS (downright PRETENTIOUS!) is this? :confused:

And, as for a drink by the pool to calm the nerves (After the shock of seeing all the empty chairs)...believe me, I TRIED this one too. ONE drink is ALL YOU'LL NEED, as the bartenders believe in a VERY HEAVY POUR! :p Not like the Disney resorts, where you have to spend $50 on five cocktails before you FEEL anything even CLOSE TO MAGICAL! LOL. I much prefer to expend loads of money in this fashion, after all...that's what vacations are all about. And, if I can plunk down enough Greenbacks to BUY the DISNEY FEELING...SO BE IT!

The Massage....Oh Noooooo. This was something I HAD to subject myself to endure/experience. One of the least expensive massages I have ever had, also one of the most intensive & thorough. It was TERRIBLE, and I was WAY TOO RELAXED afterward to even get off the table! I definitely did not want to go to any park. I was truly disappointed by the lack of compassion displayed by the Masseuse & Staff of the Spa/Health Club. There was not ONE WHEELCHAIR in SIGHT available to transport me to my suite. I actually had to WALK!! Can you believe it? The NERVE!:rolleyes: :eek: :p ;)

Originally posted by Nysie
WOW Dreamflight!! What a horror story!! Can you tell me what awful room number you had at the Dolphin so I don't end up with it?
The suite we were in was located on the FAR EAST WING, number 8029, 8033. It's a Corner Executive suite. Other TERRIBLE Rooms are 5019, 7019...both near the end of the wing, with horribly clear and unobstructed views of the Epcot area and illuminations. Also, the CORNER KING rooms with the added TURRET (doesn't impress me), located in rooms 5015, 7015....are also nauseatingly close to the REAL DISNEY MAGIC of the other resorts. You can almost "touch" them...you are so close. Pratically "on top" of the Epcot Resorts area! But...do not let this FOOL you. Do not forget for ONE minute, you are NOT IN A DISNEY-OWNED RESORT!
:p :p :cool: :)

**P.S. To think this resort does not even have it's own NON-DISNEY TRANSPORTATION! It actually USES the SAME TRANSPORTATION AS THE DISNEY-OWNED RESORTS! ARGH! Plus, you also get the perks like EE, E-Ticket, etc. This resort is also WIDELY Known as "THE *WALT DISNEY WORLD* DOLPHIN & SWAN RESORTS"....with EMPHASIS on WDW! LOL. What a joke...these resorts are the farthest thing from a Disney-owned resort! (And I would have it NO OTHER WAY). ;)

All I can say after reading this thread is.........

I WANNA go back to the Dolphin!!!!!!! :D :bounce:

Originally posted by Kitty 34
All I can say after reading this thread is.........

I WANNA go back to the Dolphin!!!!!!! :D :bounce:
To do a little more RESEARCH on this PROPERTY? :p :cool:

Okay, now I want to go to the Dolphin.

May I ask what your suite was like? Was it 2 seperate rooms or a large one-room?

Sorry if this was answered in a previous post.

Originally posted by floridafam

May I ask what your suite was like? Was it 2 seperate rooms or a large one-room?

No problem. Our suite was 2 (actually three during part of the time when we used the other bedroom for a guest), Extremely roomy SEPARATE rooms. In one room, there were two double beds, a big over~stuffed chair, and desk/chair, an entertainment center, honor bar, coffee machine, etc. In the other SPACIOUS room, there was a Murphy (wall unit) KING BED, a Queen Sofa (Sleeper), Two big PLUSH chairs, two side tables and a coffee table. A Big entertainment center, full wet bar, honor bar, BIG TROPICAL PLANT, and an outside vanity with double sinks (plus another vanity in the bathroom).

*Another Thing about this NON-DISNEY resort which really BUGS me is the AIR CONDITIONING! I have grown accustomed to the A/C in the Disney Resorts all being controlled by a CENTRAL COMPUTER---so no one can exceed the 74/75 degree mark. This makes the room nice and "stuffy", especially at night. And, when housekeeping enters the room to clean it, they either turn it off, or it shuts off automatically. At the Dolphin, neither of these things occurred. Also, the doors are very sensitive in the Disney-owned resorts and the sensors shut the unit off at the slightest "jiggle" (like a neighbor walking past).

Well..the A/C unit in the DOLPHIN was UNREAL! We were not accustomed to the "IT's YOUR VACATION, YOUR HOME-AWAY-FROM-HOME, YOUR A/C" mindset. Initially at the Dolphin, it became SO COLD in our room, we could HANG-MEAT (literally!). We failed to realize we could actually "control" the thermostat ourselves. We soon found the right adjustment, and lived comfortably in the suite. Of course, I was always looking for the "catch", and thought for SURE there would be additional ENERGY charges on my room folio when we checked out...but there were none.

It still doesn't convince me. I'll have to return to look for the "MAGIC" of this resort. :p ;)

I've been haunting these boards for about 4 months now, and have wondered why everyone was so into the Dolphin. Being a SPG, I had looked into it and been pretty darn shocked by the rates - but then, we're cheapskates. Now, I'm thinking we may need to check this out - -when we run out of DVC points, which we will because DH wouldn't let me buy enough of them.

Tigger Mama

VWL Oct '03
Poly Feb '03
CB,'01, '02
CR '99
Offsite '89 (different hubby who hated WDW)
grew up near DL

I hope you have also "haunted" the DVC boards, as they actually "RENT" extra points to anyone willing to pay for these. So...if you're ever "short", or simply "need" more pts...just mosey on over there and pick up a few hundred!

AS for the DOLPHIN/SWAN....the rates are astoundingly GREAT for a DELUXE situated in the HEART OF EPCOT....(DISNEY-OWNED, OR NOT!). With SO many discounted rates to select from, ie: Nurse discount, Gov't. discount, Teacher (Go TEACHERS!) discount, SPG member discount (using CASH & POINTS promo...$60 per eve for up to five eves!). It's the BEST deal in the MAGIC, considering you bring along a LOT OF YOUR OWN (Magic, that is!), as we can NEVER forget....it is NOT a DISNEY PROPERTY!! :p :p ;)

Great post. I was wondering if I should try the Dolphin on my little anniversary trip and now I have decided that I will. Thanks!

Originally posted by lookingforward
Great post. I was wondering if I should try the Dolphin on my little anniversary trip and now I have decided that I will. Thanks!
ARE YOU SURE? Which (how many years?) Anniversary trip are we talking about? Are you SURE you want to take a chance on a NON-DISNEY resort for such a precious event? Make sure to bring LOTS of your OWN DISNEY MAGIC (DISNEY Music DVD's loudly playing in your vehicle as you approach the Dolphin/Swan seem to do WONDERS for the SPIRIT!) Also, wear lots of DISNEY clothing and accessories. This always seems to make me FEEL as if I'm IN THE MIDST of the DISNEY MAGIC! LOL. :p ;)

Hi. I loved the first post in this section!We just returned from Walt Disney World and toured the Dolphin/Swan. We loved it! Did you have any problems with conventions? When we were there, there was a huge buffet of about 1000 people around the quiet pool. Does the amount of people and the hugeness of the resort cause problems? This might me the place for us next time!

Hello Dimimi (Diane),

Oh, the conventions. Someone WOULD have to mention these. We had several of these events in FULL SWING while we were at the WDW Dolphin resort. First of all, they were TOO NICE to DD. She wanted a little stuffed Dolphin with a blue floatie/buoy around it's neck, but you had to have a CONVENTION I.D. to be able to purchase one ($5). There was only ONE left for sale in the case, and a gentleman conventioner said, "She may use my #", and gave his I.D. to the representative! She was SO THRILLED, and plunked-down the $5 for the adorable DOLPHIN PLUSH! This really made me upset, as I dislike strangers being SO willing and eager to assist in a dilemma, (ESPECIALLY CONVENTION FOLKS)!

Later, we were in the elevator with some of these "Conventioners", when DD remarked about the lovely Convention Pins they were wearing. They, in turn, complimented the Disney Pins she had displayed on her lanyard. We all stepped off on the same floor, and before we could turn to leave, two of the women offered DD her "choice" of two pins from their collars/shirts/Bags! Again...the NERVE! These women were being overly nice to DD, offering to permit her to select these pins FREE of anything in return. When the gentleman with these two overheard the women, he promptly returned and ALSO offered DD a pin! Give me a BREAK! Are these folks the NICEST people on PROPERTY? GAG! ARE THEY EVEN REAL PEOPLE...OR ANIMATRONICS?! LOL. Needless to say, AGAIN...DD was elated with the trio of pins offered by these Conventioners.

Later the next day, as we cut-through the convention area to walk to the parking lot, we were stopped by a woman in a blue blazer. She was holding various treats from bottled water to haagen-daz ice cream bars! She offered these to us, but we told her immediately we were NOT with the convention. She told us this was NOT a problem, and forced us to accept three of EVERYTHING anyway! We were all AMAZED at her generosity. The treats (Chex mix, trail mix, chips, candy, water, and ice cream) were delicious. Yet, this was not all. Before we could EXIT the building, another Convention associate approached us with some adorable gifts (another little plush, a water-proof around the neck tote (for money, etc), and a little shoulder bag with gifts inside (mug, key chains, etc.). He insisted we have the items he held, even though we repeatedly informed him we were only RESORT GUESTS from Cali, not conventioners! By then time we arrived at the Car, we were in a state of shock. It was like running the Gauntlet...and WINNING!

To top it ALL off...these convention people held a HUGE PRIVATE POOL PARTY, where they had music, food and floats of all shapes and sizes in the pool...including BIG INFLATABLE DOLPHINS and WHALES, AND even CURLY-QUES! DD was mesmerized by all the stuff LEFT behind in the pool after the party ended. We all played with some of the Beach Balls (all sizes), and floats. Finally, a convention "Supervisor" with a Blue Blazer and Radio approached us. He told us we were "FREE" to take any/all of the floats we would like, as they were not interested in keeping them. My DH was concerned about the resort security staff, etc. questioning us if we were seen walking into the property with some of the floats. The gentleman gave my DH his card, and told him to present this to ANYONE stopping/questioning us...and tell them to call the Cell Phone # on the card. ^_^ We took a Beach Ball, Dolphin, and Curly-que raft! We deflated these in the suite, and packed them in the luggage. We still play with these at home, and recall the generosity of this convention associate, and of the FUN we HAD AT the WDW DOLPHIN!

I just want to WARN you about these DOLPHIN convention folks. They tend to be OVERLY NICE and POLITE. Therefore, be on the cautious side, and a bit guarded when you speak with them. I'm still not fully convinced they are not PLANTED there by DISNEY to "THROW-OFF" the NON-DISNEY RESORT PATRONS! :p ;) :)

You know.. it's bad enough that you - as adults - made this choice for your holiday... but to subject a YOUNG CHILD to the horrors of a non Disney Property is just dispicable, HAVE YOU NO CONSCIENCE?

I am sorely tempted to report you to the local Children's Aid Society!

*wink*

>>^..^<<

Thanks for your help! I love your sense of humor! I think the Dolphin will be our next stop!

Originally posted by dreamflight99
To do a little more RESEARCH on this PROPERTY? :p :cool:

You got it, Dreamflight! Doing a study on the psychological affects of staying at this NON-Disney resort!!:jester: :bounce:

Originally posted by dreamflight99
Hello Dimimi (Diane),

Oh, the conventions. Someone WOULD have to mention these. We had several of these events in FULL SWING while we were at the WDW Dolphin resort. First of all, they were TOO NICE to DD. She wanted a little stuffed Dolphin with a blue floatie/buoy around it's neck, but you had to have a CONVENTION I.D. to be able to purchase one ($5). There was only ONE left for sale in the case, and a gentleman conventioner said, "She may use my #", and gave his I.D. to the representative! She was SO THRILLED, and plunked-down the $5 for the adorable DOLPHIN PLUSH! This really made me upset, as I dislike strangers being SO willing and eager to assist in a dilemma, (ESPECIALLY CONVENTION FOLKS)!

Later, we were in the elevator with some of these "Conventioners", when DD remarked about the lovely Convention Pins they were wearing. They, in turn, complimented the Disney Pins she had displayed on her lanyard. We all stepped off on the same floor, and before we could turn to leave, two of the women offered DD her "choice" of two pins from their collars/shirts/Bags! Again...the NERVE! These women were being overly nice to DD, offering to permit her to select these pins FREE of anything in return. When the gentleman with these two overheard the women, he promptly returned and ALSO offered DD a pin! Give me a BREAK! Are these folks the NICEST people on PROPERTY? GAG! ARE THEY EVEN REAL PEOPLE...OR ANIMATRONICS?! LOL. Needless to say, AGAIN...DD was elated with the trio of pins offered by these Conventioners.

Later the next day, as we cut-through the convention area to walk to the parking lot, we were stopped by a woman in a blue blazer. She was holding various treats from bottled water to haagen-daz ice cream bars! She offered these to us, but we told her immediately we were NOT with the convention. She told us this was NOT a problem, and forced us to accept three of EVERYTHING anyway! We were all AMAZED at her generosity. The treats (Chex mix, trail mix, chips, candy, water, and ice cream) were delicious. Yet, this was not all. Before we could EXIT the building, another Convention associate approached us with some adorable gifts (another little plush, a water-proof around the neck tote (for money, etc), and a little shoulder bag with gifts inside (mug, key chains, etc.). He insisted we have the items he held, even though we repeatedly informed him we were only RESORT GUESTS from Cali, not conventioners! By then time we arrived at the Car, we were in a state of shock. It was like running the Gauntlet...and WINNING!

To top it ALL off...these convention people held a HUGE PRIVATE POOL PARTY, where they had music, food and floats of all shapes and sizes in the pool...including BIG INFLATABLE DOLPHINS and WHALES, AND even CURLY-QUES! DD was mesmerized by all the stuff LEFT behind in the pool after the party ended. We all played with some of the Beach Balls (all sizes), and floats. Finally, a convention "Supervisor" with a Blue Blazer and Radio approached us. He told us we were "FREE" to take any/all of the floats we would like, as they were not interested in keeping them. My DH was concerned about the resort security staff, etc. questioning us if we were seen walking into the property with some of the floats. The gentleman gave my DH his card, and told him to present this to ANYONE stopping/questioning us...and tell them to call the Cell Phone # on the card. ^_^ We took a Beach Ball, Dolphin, and Curly-que raft! We deflated these in the suite, and packed them in the luggage. We still play with these at home, and recall the generosity of this convention associate, and of the FUN we HAD AT the WDW DOLPHIN!

to "THROW-OFF" the NON-DISNEY RESORT PATRONS! :p ;) :)

Originally posted by >>^..^<<
You know.. it's bad enough that you - as adults - made this choice for your holiday... but to subject a YOUNG CHILD to the horrors of a non Disney Property is just dispicable, HAVE YOU NO CONSCIENCE?

I am sorely tempted to report you to the local Children's Aid Society!

*wink*

>>^..^<<
(LOL)...:p :p ;) I know, I know...and I have desperately had to make yet ANOTHER reservation at this resort...just to try to OVER-COMPENSATE for the horrid NEGLECT and EXPOSURE I have subjected our DD to while sojourning there! I'm going to try to SHIELD her from the Negative ASPECTS of the Dolphin, all the while attempting to CONJURE the MYSTERIOUS "DISNEY-MAGIC FEELING" during our stay! It's A TRUE CHALLENGE...the likes of a MASTER'S THESIS or PYSCH. STUDY! :eek: :rolleyes: I'm planning to go ALL-OUT, and see if I am able to affect her mood through the use of numerous DISNEY PROPS (Clothing, EARS & OTHER SILLYaccessories, MUSIC, STUFFED DISNEY PLUSHES...BALLOONS in the ROOM, ETC.). I'll keep notes, and pass on the critical information. ;)

DREAMFLIGHT...........I sincerely think the Dolphin should put you on their payroll! You are the best PR they could ever have!

dolphin03.jpg

How's this for a LARGE picture?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter