Dolphin TOIL & TROUBLE...DISNEY FEELING?

dreamflight99

<font color=deeppink>Princess of THIS Castle!<br><
Just wanted to post some details about our recent stay at the WDW Dolphin resort. I DO NOT know WHY they call this a WDW resort...as it is NOT A DISNEY-OWNED property! Being a loyalist all my life, and only staying in "Disney-owned" resorts...I decided to Break the Tradition. I booked a week in the Dolphin resort. I received a FABULOUS RATE...nearly **FREE**, using all my VARIOUS DISCOUNTS (Teacher, on top of government and nurse, priceline...PLUS my SPG points!).

Well, as soon as I pulled into the Parking lot...I had a bad feeling. The place was too "manicured" and neat for my tastes! The big. crystal clear fountain beckoning all newcomers to venture in...would NOT FOOL ME for one NY minute! I also noted there were too many "smiling & Friendly" associates under the valet canopy. They nearly RAN to our car, and opened my door in a flash as they said, "Welcome to the Walt Disney World Dolphin." YUK...who needs this?

As they rushed to the back of the vehicle to carefully place our baggage on a shiny brass cart, the nicely-attired associate again welcomed us and informed us our bags would be brought to the Bell Desk for transport to our rooms. A "Bell Desk" too? WOW...FANCY-SCHMANCY! We walked inside and were immediately STRUCK by the HUGE EXPANSE of the LOBBY! Too BIG and OPEN for our tastes! We didn't even have to wait in line, and received our room key in minutes. Again, this didn't impress me, as I've grown accustomed to waiting in line to check-in to the Disney resorts over the years. AS DD plays in the lobby and watches T.V. in the children's area...and keeps looking at us with a pained expression on her face (The consumate: "ARE WE THERE YET?" look), it's all a part of the DISNEY MAGIC I cherish. So...efficiency is not one of our main goals in checking-in to a resort!

We were greeted by an overly-friendly & personable Bellman, whom guided us to our suite via one of the fastest elevators I've ever taken. Colorful water scenes by Matisse adorned the walls of the lift. As he opened the door to our suite, we were "shocked and appalled" by the sheer size of the accomodations! This could possibly prove to be TOO much space for us. The View of the Spaceship earth out of the magestic window had a "facade" look to it (nearly Tromp L'oiel)! We were not pleased with the lack of "Mickey-mouse" packaged soaps, and informed the Bellman of our displeasure. He appeared a bit confused/puzzled, and cocked his head sideways. He left briefly to fill our ice bucket and then came back to bid farewell.

We looked around the suite, and noticed the honor-bar, filled with goodies. We also noticed the numerous T.V. channels, and the high-speed internet access, the room service menu, the private balcony, and the coffee machine w/coffee. We were still unhappy. We did not FEEL the Disney Magic. Not even the crisp, fresh waffle robes hanging in the closet made us feel magical. :rolleyes: We refreshed, and gathered to make a plan.

We decided to check-out the pool, and went down for a dip. We had to walk forever, in interior, mostly carpeted A/C corridors. We went past the interior RESTAURANTS, GYM, LAUNDRY, SHOPS, ARCADE, BUFFETERIA, PIANO-PLAYER AND SALON & KIDDIE CLUB. What a haul! We FINALLY reached the pool. It was MASSIVE, like a LAGOON. We have never seen a pool so large before. Huge white Swans were sitting on the lake near the pool, apparently rentals. Also, people were all FREE to USE goggles and pool noodles, even RAFTS to lounge about in the water. A cabana containing stacks of neatly folded fresh dry, clean towels were available for all guests. There was a giant waterfall, slide, jacuzzi's and TOO MANY EMPTY Lounge chairs! The music was Carribean, supplied by a LIVE D.J.! We MUCH prefer the piped-in music of the Disney-owned resorts.

After a quick dip, we decided to hit the parks. Since the front desk gave us the BOAT Transportation info, we decided to give it a try. We walked out the doors, under a covered canopy to the boat area. It was merely a "few steps" outside the Resort doors. We sat under the cover, on a nice bench. We watched the HAPPY PEOPLE pass us, always smiling and saying hello. As we waited, it began to rain a bit. We never even noticed, as we were under the PROTECTIVE canopy, yet we saw the drops dancing on the water. We filed onto the boat, which was uncrowded and cool. We sat on the seats, and listened to the friendly Captain give some facts and tips on the surrounding EPCOT area. Who needs this?

We were at MGM in no time. We exited and walked right up to the gates. This was the easiest transport we had ever taken to MGM, yet...we kind of missed the bumpy, crowded & stuffy bus ride. After we exited the park to return to the resort, we noticed persons "walking" around the waterway. Someone informed us we could actually WALK back to the Dolphin. We could see all the lights of the PYRAMID as we approached the BW area. It looked warm and inviting from a distance, but we were not so easily convinced. We decided to hoof-it, and BEAT the BOAT! Amazing. Still, we much prefer to wait in the line at MGM for the bus.

On our way back in, we stopped by Tubbi's for some home-made chicken noodle soup. It was incredible, and truly hit the spot. Once back, we opened the door...to discover SOMEONE had BEEN in our SUITE! As I grabbed the phone to notify security, I saw something glistening in gold on the edge of the sheets. It was a CHOCOLATE! There were several on all the beds, and the sheets were crisply turned and tucked. The heavy covers were folded and drawn to the edge of the bed. There was a little card, predicting the next days weather. The soft lights above the bed were on, and the towels were all restocked, vanity items too. Wow, so THIS was what "turn-down" service was like! Very nice. Almost gave us the DISNEY-MAGIC feeling. Close...but not quite.

The next morning, after retirieving the daily newspaper outside the door, and making a FRESH POT of HOT COFFEE, we went to CL for some breakfast. The view was astounding, and the fresh fare and friendly Concierge greeting were welcomed by all. We visited our suite again, before choosing to head out to Epcot. We were deciding whether to take the boat or walk when the phone rang. The concierge had my packages at the desk (Items I bought at MGM the eve prior), ready for pick-up. The concierge also told me my request for late check-out would be honored..."4 PM!" WOW...late check-out in a Disney-owned Property NO longer EXISTS! And, it NEVER existed as LATE as 4 PM! I also learned I would be earning Starwood preferred guest points toward my NEXT stay, along with other bonus perks (offered at check-in). NOW...the Disney-magic was beginning to seem over-flowing, especially after taking every experience into account.

All in all, it was an interesting experience. Still, we are not quite FULLY convinced this resort truly measures-up to the DISNEY-OWNED resorts, or leaves us with the DISNEY-MAGIC. We may have to stay there a few more times (At LEAST), to be able to make a true determination. And next time, we are staying longer than a week. This should give us MORE time to TEST all the aspects of this resort. We're definitely not ones to be FOOLED so EASILY!

*Happy 04/01/2003! :p ;) :jester:

Nicely Done!!

i can't wait for my trip to the dolphin Easter Week!:wave:

Oh My Lord.. you people just went through absolute HELL!

You deserve a medal, an award of some kind... what brave souls you are to survive such torture - staying at a non-disney property!! What were you thinking??? and you have no one to blame for it but yourselves!!

You better get your self to a all-stars resort soon - to get that bad taste out of your mouth.

LOL

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by >>^..^<<
Oh My Lord.. you people just went through absolute HELL!

You deserve a medal, an award of some kind... what brave souls you are to survive such torture - staying at a non-disney property!! What were you thinking??? and you have no one to blame for it but yourselves!!

You better get your self to a all-stars resort soon - to get that bad taste out of your mouth.

LOL

>>^..^<<
"ROTFL"....:jester: :p :p :p :jester: ;) THANKS for the wonderful suggestion!

roflmao.gif

I knew it ... I plan to now stay only at places with giant icons or timeshares!!!!!!!

:smooth:

Hey Dreamflight 99,
How did you manage to score chocolates? We have been going for 10 years+ and have yet to get one chocolate for turn down service. Hmmmmmmmm I'll bet housekeeping has been eating them.;) :confused: :rolleyes: :p :( :( :(

Originally posted by ddawg
Hey Dreamflight 99,
How did you manage to score chocolates? We have been going for 10 years+ and have yet to get one chocolate for turn down service. Hmmmmmmmm I'll bet housekeeping has been eating them.;) :confused: :rolleyes: :p :( :( :(
Oh, Dawg....These are SO delicious too! They are wrapped in the most splendid GOLD wrappers, with the pineapple (raised insignia) showing through. The chocolate is the "melt-in-your-mouth" decadent (like Lindt, etc) type...with just a hint of mint! They gave us so many...I filled the Dolphin Glass candy jar. Of course, we set up camp and stay awhile, but they were generous with the confections. I feel sad for you...after a decade of nothing. How can this be? Did they ever offer turn-down for you? I can't believe they bogarted the chocolates on you! Make sure to ASK next time. I still have some on my desk...and YES, they are still just as creamy and delectible as the first time I tried them. Yet, this will not in any way SWAY my opinion of this NON-DISNEY property. LOL! I can not be bribed with fine chocolates tenderly placed on my bed at night....or can I? :p :rolleyes: ;)

ROFLMBO............DF99 that was sooooooooo funny :teeth: It really made me giggle lots ;)

I am so incredibly sorry that you were so "disappointed.";) My husband and I have felt just like that many times staying at the Swan or Dolphin.............and Tubbi's.....I know some say they are the best burger on property.......wait that was me who said that...and will swear by it.. Also Krispy Kremes in the am.. can't beat that..

Thanks for the fun informative post on the Swan/Dolphin Resort....make sure you hit Kimono's for a fun night at Karaoke, it is quite a show.. :) :) :) :) :)

Oh man....we were booked there and my dd and dh didn't think they wanted to be 'out of the magic'. Now I'm starting to rethink my choice of WL!!! Thanks a lot. But, you did start my day off nicely.:)

My DH and I were going to stay at POR with BIL and his family but they backed out. Right after reading your story we changed to Swan/Dolphin. Very nice young man helped us. I think we got a deal. We're going May4th. They quoted us close to $300 a night. Yikes! I told him Expedia quotes $189 and he said they would honor that. Yeah baby! Now all I have to do is lose about 100 pounds by May 4th.

DF, just too funny. When I first stared to read this I couldn't believe you were having trouble at The Dolphin. I am a little under the weather today so I'm slow. When I looked at the date I realized. Happy April Fool's. I'll be checking in 1n 20 days. Can't wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter