Dolphin TOIL & TROUBLE...DISNEY FEELING?

Thank you for pointing out all of those obvious problems with the Dolphin. As my countdown timer says ... I am scheduled to stay at the Dolphin in June. I shall cancel that mistake and make my reservation at the All Star Resort just as <<^..^>> so wisely points out. I don't want any "bad taste" in my mouth and I don't want to subject my DD5 to that big arcade, the chocolates at the Dolphin candy shoppe (is it "Sweet Indulgences"?), nor the torture of having to endure the activities at Camp Dolphin!

Thanks for making my day!;)

Dreamflight nicely put, you did forget to mention that your too large room with a view was ready at 10AM!!!! Hope we get that same non-disney treatment next weekend.

Thanks for the great report! I had to change the Swan because of the beds and my son's allergies. I am going to get me to the Dolphin quickly!!!! I need some of that non-disney magic;)

So glad you are all in agreement with me on this one!

Yes, Disnurse...they DID have our "TOO LARGE" of a room ready for check-in at 10:00 am!! WOW...And we were all prepared to drop our luggage at the desk (for storage in the INTERIOR "Climate-controlled" BELL ROOM...not like the DISNEY-OWNED resorts, where most of the BELL AREA STORAGE IS OUTSIDE! See's chocolates I bring along each year? After a few minutes in the POR "storage" facility=chocolate SOUP~! LOL) and sit and wait the five hours required (3 pm) at the Disney-owned resorts! I had to RUSH and BREAK some large bills to TIP the Associates whom helped us to our room. What a PAIN in the B**! :p

I AGREE w/you Kelli~Change to the All Stars ASAP! At LEAST it's Disney-owned! No strange housekeeping people in your room each eve, changing all your bedding around, leaving MORE fresh towels, vanity items and turning on lights while leaving gold-wrapped chocolates! Argh...Who needs this kind of interruption?
Oh, and the Sweet indulgence shop...that FUDGE and stuff! Plus a Buffeteria Stocked with everything from Cup-a-noodle to bengay! I much prefer to be stressed-out, and have to take the car into Orlando to "hunt" for these items! :rolleyes:

I FORGOT to add another thing! "We absolutely LOVE "mosquitoes" in our room!! Especially since they carry the NILE VIRUS (Among others). At MANY of the DISNEY-OWNED resorts...the DOOR to our room opened to the EXTERIOR of the Property. Mosquitoes would be hanging on the door like "Spanish moss off the Cypress"! Every time I opened it...they would literally "pour" into the room. I fondly recall the "buzzing" of them in my ear as they "swarmed" my head in the darkness (looking for a good bite). Yep...makes one just DRIFT off to sleep. It truly wouldn't be FLORIDA w/o them. SO, we actually missed them at the DOLPHIN! The door to the room opens in an INTERIOR hall, all climate controlled and monitored by security (Cams), WITH NO BUGS or MOSQUITOES.

We also Despised the LIVE TROPICAL TREE in our suite. This really ticked us off...as we have NEVER had a LIVE TREE in any of the DISNEY-OWNED resort rooms. We were forced to LOOK at it EVERY DAY, just standing there in the corner...looking all TROPICAL & Everything! Made me sick! :mad:

Also, the ICE machine was about two feet from our door! The Dolphin has one strategically placed at the end of each wing. This was a real BUMMER. I recall the days I had to walk in the sticky humid evening, for about ten minutes to locate an ice machine WITH ice! At the DISNEY-OWNED resorts...more folks bring coolers into the rooms. THEY constantly replenish their ICE supply...leaving hardly a CUBE in the machine! LOL. It was an ADVENTURE to FIND the ICE! This is the DISNEY-MAGIC I sorely missed while staying at the Dolphin!

*And...(I could go on & on...) WHAT'S WITH the "ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT" Seafood BUFFET on FRIDAY EVES? WARMERS PILED HIGH with FRESH STEAMED SNOW CRAB, SCALLOPS, SHRIMP, AND FISH? HOT MELTED BUTTER? All for $16.95 for an adult...nearly FREE for a child (up to 12)!?! RIDICULOUS!:rolleyes:

mom23guys2...sure hope you're feeling better. ;)

May 4th...Yes, Bunkie~you can do it! (Lose 100 pounds~). The STRESS ALONE (Of staying in a NON-DISNEY RESORT) should help you out. Wow...$189 per eve, great rate. Although, I've seen threads on this board where folks have snagged the ALL STARS @ $59 per eve! Think of the all the money you would save. And, you'ld have plenty of time to count it at the Bus Stops waiting for a ride back to the resort. Three or four Dolphin buses came to each stop I was at, before even ONE ALL STARS bus arrived. This leaves you the much-needed time to sit and relax...after all, who wants to RUSH back to the room after a long-day in the parks?

LASTLY....one of the most ANNOYING things about the Dolphin/Swan? The POOLS are OPEN 24/7! That's correct! If you have been to E-Ticket all night, and are HOT and STICKY from the humidity...and riding all the rides, you are WELCOME to take a nice relaxing DIP in the pool and sit in the Jacuzzi! The NERVE! The Disney-Owned Resort pools are closed by 9-10 pm! NO EXCEPTIONS! Who, on earth, would want to go down to the grotto pool with their "honey", late in the eve...as the kiddies watched a movie...and take a romatic DIP together? NOT ME! NO WAY...under the light of the moon...with no one around. Just not my idea of a VACATION! Especially with the nicely folded, clean towels...still accessible for your pleasure. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Mackey Mouse...Those BIG, JUICY ALL BEEF BURGERS? The ones which are available 24/7? And, the FRESH...HOT...KRISPY KREMES in the am? Not to mention...the chef behind the line. The one whom made me a three-cheese grilled sandwich with FRESH-SLICED Ham piled high under the layers! This was NOT on the menu...I merely "asked" for it! He charged me all of $2.95 for this, which came with a cup of chicken noodle soup and some veggies & chips! At the DISNEY-OWNED resorts...it's a MENU-ITEM, or "NOTHING"! :smooth: ;)

Don't forget all those "points" they give you. There must be something terribly wrong when they try so hard to keep you coming back. You really have to live by the motto "Beware nothing in this life is free." Free usgrades can really make you uneasy.

I leave 2 weeks from today for my first stay at the Dolphin and I CANNOT wait!! Thanks for this thread!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by mom23guys2
Don't forget all those "points" they give you. There must be something terribly wrong when they try so hard to keep you coming back. You really have to live by the motto "Beware nothing in this life is free." Free usgrades can really make you uneasy.
What's up with that? They have even "upgraded" guests...without being asked! The guests have obtained their room key...then opened the door to discover a "Balcony & Theme Park View", all on a "Standard room" reservation! Nobody likes these kind of surprises. :p :eek:

TinkTwins...Keep an open mind, and BRING LOTS Of DISNEY-MAGIC with you (to make up for the terrible LACK/ABSENCE at this resort)!

What a great post, Dreamflight! :teeth: I didn't see it until today (the 2nd), but yesterday I made my reservation at the Swan for the week after Thanksgiving. I can't wait to get back to all that non-Disney magic!

Originally posted by NancyIL
What a great post, Dreamflight! :teeth: I didn't see it until today (the 2nd), but yesterday I made my reservation at the Swan for the week after Thanksgiving. I can't wait to get back to all that non-Disney magic!
Hi, Nancy! It's SO great to see your post, and hear from you! You are one of the ORIGINAL "D-L" (Dolphin-LOVERS), and know exactly what I am writing about here. :p

How brave you are to endure the very wicked, NON-DISNEY Resort. I'm so happy to hear you and your loved ones survived. Hopefully your next adventure will go more smoothly:teeth:

You are too funny.....what an enjoyable thread. Thanks for keeping us laughing:D Laughter is needed now more than ever.

We are booked for two weeks at the Swan Club Level the end of November and first week in December. We have already had to endure a LOW LOW Government rate as well as a NEWLY REFURBISHED room. I will look to you for guidance and support so we may also be prepared for our LOSS OF DISNEY MAGIC ;)

Which restaurant has the seafood buffet? Any other restaurants you were forced to eat excellent meals at?

My family is booked at the Swan in August because I got tired of waiting for the AP rates. I think this will be a blessing in disguise! Cannot wait -- now I have another obsession to research for the next five months!

Originally posted by wdwnut61
How brave you are to endure the very wicked, NON-DISNEY Resort. I'm so happy to hear you and your loved ones survived. Hopefully your next adventure will go more smoothly:teeth:

You are too funny.....what an enjoyable thread. Thanks for keeping us laughing:D Laughter is needed now more than ever.

We are booked for two weeks at the Swan Club Level the end of November and first week in December. We have already had to endure a LOW LOW Government rate as well as a NEWLY REFURBISHED room. I will look to you for guidance and support so we may also be prepared for our LOSS OF DISNEY MAGIC ;)
Looking back...I'm amazed we even MADE it through the torture and absence of that odd DISNEY-FEELING! How terrible for you to be forced into the Swan with the LURE of a GOV'T RATE! And the "thought" of a refurbished bed...(Heavenly bed...who wants to Sleep on a CLOUD at the Swan, when they could sleep on a ROCK in a Disney-owned Resort!?)..You must be a really STRONG person! I'll try my best to help you out, but as for the DISNEY-MAGIC...you'll have to BRING YOUR OWN. I haven't quite figured out the "canning-process" yet! LOL....:p

Originally posted by MEM Which restaurant has the seafood buffet? Any other restaurants you were forced to eat excellent meals at?
Oh...I believe we "endured" the Seafood Spread over at Gulliver's in the SWAN. Wow...it was truly something. I've NEVER seen an ALL YOU CAN EAT Buffet with the expensive selections of this place. What's wrong with the Chicken fingers, mac & cheese & hot dogs? Geesh...Isn't that part of the Disney Magic...Paying a LOT of $$$ for a Little bit of food? The Swan/Dolphin definitely have this backwards...only Proving once again...they LACK the DISNEY MAGIC!

As for another restaurant we were "forced" to try because it was storming outside (With LIGHTENING TOO), Was Shula's Steakhouse. We were trapped inside this fully enclosed, climate controlled CITY of a RESORT, and decided to give the place a go. The service was much too prompt, and the food was all perfectly prepared. It's no fun when there are no complaints...or food items which have to be returned to the kitchen! Too many smiles, and MMmmms over the dishes. My DH's steak was mammoth, and incredibly juicy & flavorful. What a night that was...give me the All Stars food court ANYDAY!!

:p :rolleyes:

Hi.. I'm in Canada.. can someone fill me on on the lure of the Krispie Kremes? I mean are they krispie or kremie.. and what's with the K's? LOL

They are donuts right???

We have Tim Horton's up here in the North - I don't think any of them are crispy.

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by bunkie
My DH and I were going to stay at POR with BIL and his family but they backed out. Right after reading your story we changed to Swan/Dolphin. Very nice young man helped us. I think we got a deal. We're going May4th. They quoted us close to $300 a night. Yikes! I told him Expedia quotes $189 and he said they would honor that. Yeah baby! Now all I have to do is lose about 100 pounds by May 4th.

Bunkie you've got a PM.

DF
I thought the pictures were bad enough, but your tortuous vacation really has me ready to cancel EVERYTHING! ;)

Regarding our Dolphin stay last August...

I, too, am annoyed with being able to find a lounge chair at the pool AND plenty of room around me!!! How rude to not finding others sunning right on top of you so that you can join THEIR conversation.

Another frustrating part of our stay was the no-wait, not crowded elevator service! I was always prepared to push my way into a packed elevator that I waited a considerable amount of time for. How unfair is that --- not giving me the opportunity to practice my "push and wedge-in" techniques.

And, I must add, what's with this complimentary upgrade to CL I received and having our room ready upon an 11:00 am check-in?! Disney resorts do not stoop to these tactics! ;)

Originally posted by Mouseteacher
Regarding our Dolphin stay last August...

I, too, am annoyed with being able to find a lounge chair at the pool AND plenty of room around me!!! How rude to not finding others sunning right on top of you so that you can join THEIR conversation.

Another frustrating part of our stay was the no-wait, not crowded elevator service! I was always prepared to push my way into a packed elevator that I waited a considerable amount of time for. How unfair is that --- not giving me the opportunity to practice my "push and wedge-in" techniques.

And, I must add, what's with this complimentary upgrade to CL I received and having our room ready upon an 11:00 am check-in?! Disney resorts do not stoop to these tactics! ;)
Ah...nothing frustrated me more than having to sit all alone, in the glorious sunshine, without a care in the world...and be able to actually DIP in and out of the pool without guarding my chair like a pitbull! LOL. I much prefer to engage in a furious debate with other unhappy vacationers about "who's chair" it is, and how we are going to "settle" the debate!

Oh. mouseteacher...the ELEVATORS! They are EVERYWHERE...loads of them. They are super-quiet (not rickety and lurchy), and unbelieveably efficient. I too, wanted to muscle-up to the doors in anticipation of the "JUMP" into the cage (especially when it's full...and others are trying to get out!). LOL. It was just too simple...no fuss, no muss. :rolleyes:

I've had YEARS of practice with the Disney Resorts, and check-in! I never once received any UPgrades...but LOTS of DOWNgrades and disappointments. I grew accustomed to the arguments with the front desk clerks...whom truly never seem content (have an obvious LACK of Disney Magic). I even attempted to "change" rooms once, and was literally "ousted" from our room at the crack of dawn, told they would hold our luggage until the "other" room was ready. It was FINALLY clear at 3:45 pm. AN ENTIRE DAY wasted...on this silliness. I miss this sort of stuff at the Dolphin. It's always efficiently running, and I've changed rooms there...w/o ANY trouble, and ZERO wait! Incredible.

And...what's the point of being able to actually CALL the Valet desk from your room, give them your ticket number...and they have your car all ready for you when you walk down? I MUCH prefer walking between the lightening strikes and hail...running for the car! So exciting, even dangerous. There's certainly none of these elements in the valet area...dry canopy covered safe area, where the valet opens the door and closes it for you! I don't need any of that stuff. I'm on vacation...I like to sweat and struggle...maybe even STRESS-OUT now and again. ROTFL....:p :p ;)

Krispy Kremes are definitely Kremey! If you've seen one being made, you'd know why. Yes, they are donuts and they are put on a conveyer belt and liquid sugar is dropped on them. If they are fresh, they taste unbelievable.

As for the "K's", who knows?

Vivienne

who luckily (for the waistline) lives nowhere near a Krispy Kreme anymore

Dreamflight - these allegations are very serious, and have worried the British contingency greatly. Good grief, woman - next you'll be telling us the hotel provides warm, snuggly towelling robes! This won't do at all. On behalf of all the Brits, I am bravely going to volunteer me and my family to investigate these dreadful, dreadful claims of efficiency and helpfulness. We shall arrive in 10 days' time. Obviously we shall need to investigate the room first, but then we shall investigate the pool. If it's as shocking as I anticipate, I shall have to avail myself of a long, cool drink (or two) to calm my nerves. I have heard rumours (I cannot reveal my source) that you can even be subjected to...a massage and other beauty/health treatments. I may need to go several times to be able to report back on this.

:jester: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter