Do you enjoy small talk with strangers, or do you try to avoid it at all costs?

Just to clarify, I didn't receive any signals suggesting she *might* be a bit shy until after I'd wished her a good evening :)
A smile and nod with a “good evening” as you walk by is different than engaging somebody in small talk that they may have neither the time for or interest in. Since it really requires no response from the other party I see it as a different sort of thing - just a well-mannered pleasantry.

Better at what? :rolleyes1

A lot of things..but mostly talking to strangers.

A few years ago I was at Walmart, and I was looking to buy a new backpack. There was an older man wandering around who clearly was overwhelmed. Not lost or confused, just walking around in circles. He came up to me and said hi, I said hi back and we struck up small talk. I was also looking for the signs of dementia, but didn’t get any twinges so, we just kept talking. It turned out that his wife had died in the past year and he didn’t know what size he was so he couldn’t pick out socks, and undershirts, and long johns. So, we spent the good part of an hour chatting and looking at all the different types of socks and long underwear they had to offer and I got him sorted out and on his way.

I’m glad it was me he came across because a lot of people would have just looked at the crazy old man and hurried off as quickly as possible.

I considered it my ‘pay it forward’ because the week before someone had turned in my keys at the local grocery store where they fell out of my pocket in the parking lot.

A smile and nod with a “good evening” as you walk by is different than engaging somebody in small talk that they may have neither the time for or interest in. Since it really requires no response from the other party I see it as a different sort of thing - just a well-mannered pleasantry.

I guess I do push the package then. To be precise, I say, "Evening! How are you today?" and try to gauage from her (or his?) reaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter