Do you enjoy small talk with strangers, or do you try to avoid it at all costs?

It depends on my mood. And the stranger, lol. Generally I'm an introvert but I've enjoyed the occasional chat with a stranger.
Somewhat this. I enjoy it if the stranger is really friendly and ignores that I am a little awkward or might not talk a lot at first. Also, it has to be not creepy. I mean if it is a situation where strangers are joined together anyhow, then great (waiting in line, communal dining, hairdresser, etc.). I don't generally initiate. I generally prefer talking to absolute strangers or people I know really well. Super nervous in any work social situations, etc.

Depends on my mood and my blood alcohol level.

:thumbsup2

It depends on my mood. And the stranger, lol. Generally I'm an introvert but I've enjoyed the occasional chat with a stranger.

Same for me. I'm an introvert as well - so if my energy is up, I enjoy chatting, but if it's low, I don't.

It's interesting seeing so many comments from the non-chatty folks/introverts that are among some of the most prolific posters on the Dis.:scratchin

I'm definitely chattier on line than in real life! In general, I think it's because I'm not good at "thinking out loud" - I much prefer the slower pace of thinking, typing, getting it "right" and then hitting the post button.

Not strictly, no. That’s just an observation I’ve made for the past 40+ years. More clinically, I would say that extroverts are people without rich internal monologues who can’t be bothered to think (or be alone with their thoughts).

Extroverts run media (because they need to talk incessantly, feel “popular,” get their egos stroked, and basically just have people pay attention to them at all times), so it’s ingrained in everyone from a young age that extroverted behavior is more socially acceptable and that extroverts are “friendlier.” Really, they are just selfish and needy messes.

Actually, the definition of introvert or extrovert has to do with what builds or drains your energy. An extrovert is energized by being with people. An introvert "spends" energy when dealing with people (which doesn't automatically mean they don't like people - just that they need time alone to recharge.) Neither type is defective!

(It sounds like someone made you feel that way in the past. But really, the world needs both kinds of people, and there's no need to put either type down.)

:thumbsup2

Same for me. I'm an introvert as well - so if my energy is up, I enjoy chatting, but if it's low, I don't.

I'm definitely chattier on line than in real life! In general, I think it's because I'm not good at "thinking out loud" - I much prefer the slower pace of thinking, typing, getting it "right" and then hitting the post button.

Actually, the definition of introvert or extrovert has to do with what builds or drains your energy. An extrovert is energized by being with people. An introvert "spends" energy when dealing with people (which doesn't automatically mean they don't like people - just that they need time alone to recharge.) Neither type is defective!

(It sounds like someone made you feel that way in the past. But really, the world needs both kinds of people, and there's no need to put either type down.)

The bolded part - I was just going to say that! But I am introverted and a "slow processer" (again, see what you said above the bolded, lol!), so thank you for saying it so eloquently! But it also exemplifies what I was also going to say about what I do online (as a slow processing introvert) - I tend to read more than I post, because by the time I can articulate my thought, several other people have posted my thoughts in a more eloquent manner than I could!

ETA: Extroverts oven "process" verbally, while introverts often "process" internally, hence my comment about being a slow processer!

Interesting topic! I tend to look at introversion/extroversion as a continuum - I'm not shy and I'm fairly friendly and outgoing, but I'm definitely an introvert in how I communicate and in how I re-charge from social interaction. And like some other posters, I really enjoy meeting people and chit chatting with strangers when I'm out and about - WDW/vacations are my favorite place to meet people, but I am fairly adept at reading social cues if people aren't chatty!

I have a tougher time gearing up for interaction with acquaintances - like, parents of my kids' teammates at games and such. Even if it's meeting up with close friends, if the setting is someplace I'll run into a lot of people (I live in a small town), I may opt out if I don't have the energy level or if I don't have time to gear up for it, if that makes sense. As I've gotten older I've gotten better at gauging that to make sure I have enough social/emotional energy to support my kids/family, if that makes sense. Like, this week I was supposed to get together with some people that I had worked with on a committee several years ago - we get together from time to time and I really enjoy them, but they're not close friends. However, right now 3 out of the 4 in my immediate family (including myself) are experience higher than normal stress levels just due to stuff going on in our lives. I found that I just could not muster up the energy to go, and I felt badly about canceling, but I felt like I couldn't "spend' that energy there right now. In my younger days I didn't really know this about myself...but anyway, yes, I do enjoy small talk with strangers!

No problem at all. My wife says she can tell I am the son of a salesman by that.....and my wife never knew him, he passed long before my wife and I met.

But my wife's best friend's mom takes the cake on small talk with strangers. She had a 20 minute conversation on the phone with someone until she, and the other person realized, that the other lady had dialed the wrong number and they did not know each other.

I hate small talk and avoid it. If somebody talks to me I’ll respond, but I feel awkward.

But my wife's best friend's mom takes the cake on small talk with strangers. She had a 20 minute conversation on the phone with someone until she, and the other person realized, that the other lady had dialed the wrong number and they did not know each other.

I had a similar experience... many moons ago, before cell phones, I was calling a hotel but got the wrong number, and ended having a really nice (clean) chat with the guy that answered the phone. Never talked to him again, but enjoyed that conversation.

Not strictly, no. That’s just an observation I’ve made for the past 40+ years. More clinically, I would say that extroverts are people without rich internal monologues who can’t be bothered to think (or be alone with their thoughts).

Extroverts run media (because they need to talk incessantly, feel “popular,” get their egos stroked, and basically just have people pay attention to them at all times), so it’s ingrained in everyone from a young age that extroverted behavior is more socially acceptable and that extroverts are “friendlier.” Really, they are just selfish and needy messes.

I do get what you're saying but I think it's not fair to tar all extroverts with the same brush. I do know the subset of extrovert that you mean though, I work with one lol. But there are the good kind too, don't forget us introverts would be lost in many situations without them.

I spent too many of my younger years hiding behind myself because I was afraid and had terribly low self esteem. The older I got, the more I stopped worrying about what other people thought and decided to just be myself no matter what. I have gained some outstanding friendships that continue to this day because of that. I refuse to feel bad for reaching out and enjoying the company of people around me.

I do get what you're saying but I think it's not fair to tar all extroverts with the same brush. I do know the subset of extrovert that you mean though, I work with one lol. But there are the good kind too, don't forget us introverts would be lost in many situations without them.

I completely agree, especially with the bolded part! Particularly with group dynamics and work environments and such, it takes all kinds to solve problems and get stuff done!

I can make small talk fairly well, but I don’t like it.

Do you just hate people in general?

I make small talk with students all the time. They come to my office for help, I have to look stuff up in the system or call another office to help them. I make small talk to make THEM comfortable. Silence while I am doing those things can be very awkward.

I do make small talk with people in line while shopping or at WDW or Universal. Or on the beach with the people in the next set of beach chairs if they seem approachable. Met some great people in Gulf Shores. They were from somewhere very south Louisiana and I commented how much I love their accent (Cajun I think, lots of “French” words thrown in)They were a hoot and had the chairs by us the whole weekend. We had a great time!

At work events, not so much. I hate trying to make small talk in those situations. Not sure why or what the difference is.

I am very chatty. I'm the person standing in line and will just start talking to whoever is around me...

Me too to an extent. I try to gauge people before chatting AT them.

Utterly no interest in talking to strangers in person.

Extroverts are just attention seekers and I'm not there to keep their egos entertained.

The how exactly do you ever meet anyone?

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

I do chat with people a lot but I'm also very perceptive to people in that I can usually tell if someone would rather not be bothered. Know your crowd so to speak. People talking at you when you have no interest in talking to them is annoying. And people not knowing how to end conversations is annoying as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!