Do we really need instant election returns? (About voting, not politics.)

From what I understand it's more of something being forced upon them when it's their choice to exercise their ability to vote.
And they can still exercise that choice.

But I'll be honest I get so sick and tired of the mailings I get and it's a lot more than just some, plus you have the text messaging this year which I was quite annoyed you had to opt out rather than opt in to getting them in the first place (hopefully that opt out sticks the next time an election occurs in my area).
I don't think cell phone numbers should be available, but street address? Sure. If a candidate wants to waste money sending me a mailing, go for it. It's easy to drop off in the trash or recycling when walking back to the house.

I also think an issue might actually occur with respects to the address issues brought up. Just where are you registering these individuals at? Many people have expressed opinions regarding knowing so and so who doesn't have a permanent address to get voter information, etc. Unless you're saying we should do away with voter registration based on where one lives (which is used for voting in one district over another and voting for who is representing your area where you live in) and instead do it based strictly on a particular person.
If you were responding to me with the statement I bolded, I'm not sure where you got that impression that I suggested that. I'm only commenting that I don't see any reason not to automate the registration process.

How does that apply to out of state students?

Exactly the same. You can vote in Minnesota so long as you reside here and do not vote elsewhere. There's a minimum residency requirement (e.g., x amount of time, which I'm too lazy to look up right now), but so long as you meet that, and reside in the precinct where you vote, you can. Residency in Minnesota can be proved a variety of ways, including a driver's license showing an address in the precinct, or a current utility bill in your name within the precinct. There are other ways, of course. Those are just examples. In the case of college students living in a dorm, the university/college will provide a list to the precinct of students who are "resident" within that dorm and therefore permitted to vote in that precinct. Student must produce student ID that matches the name on the list provided by the college.

Voting should also happen on Saturdays, not Tuesdays IMO

Absolutely. Alternatively, voting day should be a holiday and a day off from work so that excuse is eliminated. Other countries do it either of these ways. Makes sense to me. The November Tuesday thing is based on historic issues that no longer apply in modern society.

I can't imagine why automatic voter registration would be an issue. If you don't want to participate in jury duty, you basically are ignoring your duties as a citizen. Not a good reason.

Either way, all votes should be counted, and the time that takes to do shouldn't be under scrutiny. There seems to be a lot of comments from people who want to win elections hinting that they don't actually understand how elections work. OR, more like, they aren't happy with the results so they're pitching fits to get the narrative in their favor, even if the result is not.

If you were responding to me with the statement I bolded, I'm not sure where you got that impression that I suggested that. I'm only commenting that I don't see any reason not to automate the registration process.
No not you. I said with the address issues brought up due to 'couch surfing', due to transient moving around (for whatever reason), due to the issues brought up with native americans in ND, etc.

If you're automatically registering people to vote...just where are you registering them at? Presently it's based on where you live to ensure you are voting for matters that concern you (even as mundane as sales tax measures). So you could change that and make it be on the individual rather than where they live. That was the point I was bringing up.

I don't think cell phone numbers should be available, but street address? Sure. If a candidate wants to waste money sending me a mailing, go for it. It's easy to drop off in the trash or recycling when walking back to the house.
I was responding to your comment about getting some mailings. Personally I shred documents with my name and address on it but regardless I still get quite a lot of mailings. It's a side effect to being a registered voter. Maybe not an issue to you but certaintly can be an issue to others.

And they can still exercise that choice.
It veers into the gray area when you force someone to be registered for something that is their choice to do in the first place. I don't want automatic gun registration where I can go and get a gun because I was already automatically registered to get a gun because of my age even if it's a choice to own a gun.

Very true about ID. I've been a librarian for decades, and one of the most common extra services public libraries offer is voter registration. I've been on that front line, and I've seen the hoops some jurisdictions force people to jump through in order to exercise a basic Constitutional right. (BTW, librarians also routinely help people get birth certificate and military records copies.)

It seems to me that the DMV should do registrations along with licenses, and states should be required to offer periodic mobile/remote non-driver ID services in communities that are a certain percentage below the poverty level. Sending a mobile office to high schools a few times per year would be a good way.

If you have no fixed address, but do work or attend school, I think it would be fair to let those locations serve as your "residence" for voting purposes.
Funny you bring up the constitutional right thing. I was just thinking about all of it this morning that many in the camp that want to restrict & insisit on following “rules” for this right are the same ones who claim reasonable restrictions can’t be placed on gun ownership b/c it’s a “constitutional right”. Hmmm....:scratchin

Voting should also happen on Saturdays, not Tuesdays IMO
If more states would adopt vote by mail it wouldn't matter which day was voting day.

I live in Oregon, voting here is a breeze and you can check to see if your vote was counted. We are also automatically registered to vote when we get government issue id.

As to the OP, Yes, we need minute by minute. :)

Funny you bring up the constitutional right thing. I was just thinking about all of it this morning that many in the camp that want to restrict & insisit on following “rules” for this right are the same ones who claim reasonable restrictions can’t be placed on gun ownership b/c it’s a “constitutional right”. Hmmm....:scratchin
My husband and I don't have issues with presenting our IDs for voting purposes-as in the concept. We do have an issue when places put an unreasonable burden on getting an ID. When it's a vicious cycle of obtaining the necessary documents to get an ID that's a problem. In our opinions either it needs to be readily accessible to get an ID to then vote or there shouldn't be a requirement for showing an ID.

*Trying to not get too nitty gritty on that part due to DIS politics aspects*

Wow. That's a stretch.
I know but let me explain.

Just because my ability to vote is written in the Constitution doesn't mean I'm all for everyone being automatically registered to vote simply because they reached the voting age. The PP's comments (which is what I quoted) was "Automatic registration should occur when you reach 18. Automatic. 100%."

Just because my ability to own a gun is written in the Constitution doesn't mean I'm all for everyone being automatically registered to own a gun simply because they reached the age at which they can own X type of gun.

The concept is the same in both cases. Even while automatic voter registration itself is not the same as automatic gun registration it can def. become a slippery slope.

I can understand more of what a PP was discussing where voter registration is automatic when you apply for a government issued ID (though I would think a happy medium is allowing someone to opt out). But by virtue of you being voting age, when there are people out there who have no interest in politics, no interest in something being forced upon them when it is a choice to vote or not vote without a way to say no, isn't the way to go IMO. Just like I wouldn't want people to be able to automatically be able to get a gun by virtue of being a certain age. Again we're talking about things done automatically.

Don't know how gun issues are even anything to do with this....
But, the obvious and not so thinly veiled introduction of not-allowed political topics/agendas has not escaped my notice.

I don't know anybody who would not support basic, and verifiable, registration to vote in elections, or to buy/own firearms. I would have to assume that anybody would object to that had so not-so noble reasons for wanting to own guns, or to vote.

Registration and limitations are two very different things.

I don't want anybody to be able to just walk up and vote, just as I also do not want anybody to walk up to a counter and walk away with a gun.
I do not see basic identification and registration as any restriction, whatsoever, in any way.

I do NOT see any double standard here, AT ALL.
Just don't even go there.

Again, the concept is a no-brainer....so long as the "rules" (like the one in North Dakota requiring a street address on an ID to vote, when they bloody well know that most reservations have NO street address to put on an ID) are not designed to disenfranchise voters. That's where the rub comes. Automatic registration should occur when you reach 18. Automatic. 100%. They knew when my son turned 18 in order to register him for the draft, my guess is we can "know" where he is to register him to vote. And, we need a method that allows easy voting for everyone who cares to vote. No long lines. No remote precincts. If in person voting is required, it should be within a few miles, at most, of a person's residence. Otherwise, mail voting should be allowed.

North Dakota was kind of interesting. The issue was that it was a huge pain to go and do this when it was never an issue before using P.O. boxes. Also - it was about the ID brought to the polls. Unlike other states, they have a very specific list of IDs they'll take. That doesn't include ID that other states accept at polls, including passports, military ID, student ID, etc. It does include tribal documents, but those don't necessarily list an address. Apparently if there's no residential address on one of those IDs, they can be supplemented with a utility bill, bank statement, pay stub, etc. However, that supplement would need to have a residential address.

Here's the rules:
https://vip.sos.nd.gov/idrequirements.aspx

Ohhhh, and to answer the original question, no, I do not think that we need instant results.
Other than the fact that we live in a culture/time of instant gratification, I do not see any positive there.

I do believe that states and voting districts should have the systems set up so that a very quick result could be called.
I do not see how it should be required to take days and weeks.
Early voting, a reasonable deadline for mail-in ballots, etc... These are things that can be done, and do not cause problems or delays for many areas.

Voting machines that are designed to be user friendly, work correctly, and offer a paper receipt, is also something that should happen. In ALL districts.

I also believe in complete and total tranparancy... things being done behind closed doors, supervised by questionable and possibly partisan individuals, with known questions and discrepancies hanging over the handling of the vote count... No way... No where... No how. Not by anyone on any 'side'.

Locally they are still counting and the trend is the late drop off mail in and drop off ballots are more democratic and the early mail ins are more republican. How about we just accept that and let them do their job

The parties should all follow the same rules and dates...
There is no valid or reasonable explanation why dates, rules, etc... should be focused on giving more opportunity to any presumed habits of either party.
If a reasonably timely final result means that these ballots are delivered before election day, then so be it.
I see no valid justification for delay.

I do not think that these have been problems or issues in my State/District at all. This is a 'created' issue... Not a real or valid one.

Sure. As long as we use a "best in class" voting system instead of, say, Florida or Georgia. We definitely don't need THAT imported to the rest of the country. Choose a system where large numbers of people vote successfully, year after year, without massive hoopla.

Florida uses the same equipment that's used around the country. It's either Dominion or ES&S. Those two dominate the market. There's really nothing wrong with the equipment.

https://dos.myflorida.com/media/695246/voting-systems-in-use-by-county.pdf

There are only so many companies certified. A lot of them are defunct, although their equipment might still be used. For example, Premier Election Systems was sold to ES&S.

https://www.eac.gov/voting-equipment/registered-manufacturers/

I don’t know anyone who has an issue with showing an ID in order to purchase a firearm.

Ohhhh, and to answer the original question, no, I do not think that we need instant results.
Other than the fact that we live in a culture/time of instant gratification, I do not see any positive there.

I do believe that states and voting districts should have the systems set up so that a very quick result could be called.
I do not see how it should be required to take days and weeks.
Early voting, a reasonable deadline for mail-in ballots, etc... These are things that can be done, and do not cause problems or delays for many areas.

Voting machines that are designed to be user friendly, work correctly, and offer a paper receipt, is also something that should happen. In ALL districts.

I also believe in complete and total tranparancy... things being done behind closed doors, supervised by questionable and possibly partisan individuals, with known questions and discrepancies hanging over the handling of the vote count... No way... No where... No how. Not by anyone on any 'side'.
We don't need instant results, but things should be set up so you have a quick result. :confused3 Care to clarify?

Very true about ID. I've been a librarian for decades, and one of the most common extra services public libraries offer is voter registration. I've been on that front line, and I've seen the hoops some jurisdictions force people to jump through in order to exercise a basic Constitutional right. (BTW, librarians also routinely help people get birth certificate and military records copies.)

It seems to me that the DMV should do registrations along with licenses, and states should be required to offer periodic mobile/remote non-driver ID services in communities that are a certain percentage below the poverty level. Sending a mobile office to high schools a few times per year would be a good way.

If you have no fixed address, but do work or attend school, I think it would be fair to let those locations serve as your "residence" for voting purposes.
I think there was something known as the Motor Voter Law... not sure if it’s still in effect. Congress provided incentives to State DMVs to do voter registration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter