Do people really tip the pizza delivery person so little?

DH tips the pizza person $1/pizza and says that's plenty. Around here they are paid over minimum wage, plus a premium for being a delivery person. So it's not like normal waitstaff who are paid below minimum wage and rely on tips to make up the difference. The tip is only his thanks for saving us the trouble of having to go out and get it.

I personally hate the practice of paying waitstaff so little and then expecting the customer to make up the difference in their pay. I believe Minnesota did away with that and they just get paid a decent wage, and no tipping. I wish everywhere else would adopt that model.

DH tips the pizza person $1/pizza and says that's plenty. Around here they are paid over minimum wage, plus a premium for being a delivery person. So it's not like normal waitstaff who are paid below minimum wage and rely on tips to make up the difference. The tip is only his thanks for saving us the trouble of having to go out and get it.

I personally hate the practice of paying waitstaff so little and then expecting the customer to make up the difference in their pay. I believe Minnesota did away with that and they just get paid a decent wage, and no tipping. I wish everywhere else would adopt that model.
People still tip in states with servers making minimum wage! Where do you live where delivery people make more than minimum wage? Did your DH deliver pizzas? Lots of places here pay nothing, they deliver for tips.

People still tip in states with servers making minimum wage! Where do you live where delivery people make more than minimum wage? Did your DH deliver pizzas? Lots of places here pay nothing, they deliver for tips.

For the three pizza delivery places that actually deliver to my house, all start their drivers at $10.50/hr. Minimum wage here is $9.25. One of the places pays an additional flat rate of $4.50 to drivers during a shift (4-5 hr shifts), another pays an additional $1 per hour that you're on deliveries (they have you sign in and out), and the third has you track your mileage and you get reimbursed a certain amount for it, though I'm not totally sure what that amount is. None of these 3 places deliver further than 5 miles away.

DH tips the pizza person $1/pizza and says that's plenty. Around here they are paid over minimum wage, plus a premium for being a delivery person.

Not criticizing, entirely just out of curiosity. do you always get multiple pizzas, or does he genuinely just tip one dollar if/when you get a single pizza?

For the three pizza delivery places that actually deliver to my house, all start their drivers at $10.50/hr. Minimum wage here is $9.25. One of the places pays an additional flat rate of $4.50 to drivers during a shift (4-5 hr shifts), another pays an additional $1 per hour that you're on deliveries (they have you sign in and out), and the third has you track your mileage and you get reimbursed a certain amount for it, though I'm not totally sure what that amount is. None of these 3 places deliver further than 5 miles away.

It's similar around here. The kids that I've known that delivered all started at $10.00/hour, plus anywhere from $1 - $2 per hour when delivering.

Not criticizing, entirely just out of curiosity. do you always get multiple pizzas, or does he genuinely just tip one dollar if/when you get a single pizza?

Yes, we typically get multiple pizzas, or combinations of pizza, sandwiches, salads, etc.

It's similar around here. The kids that I've known that delivered all started at $10.00/hour, plus anywhere from $1 - $2 per hour when delivering.

Yes, we typically get multiple pizzas, or combinations of pizza, sandwiches, salads, etc.

I imagine they don’t have a hard time keeping drivers where you live. Not that way here at all. Just the opposite. Drivers go DOWN not up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter