Do people really tip the pizza delivery person so little?

That depends. Are you talking two pizzas vs one bag of groceries? Or two pizzas vs. ten? Because the latter will use mre gas and create more wear and tear on the vehicle.

I was meaning delivering one or ten pizzas to the same location. The effect of a few extra pounds of cargo on gas mileage and wear and tear of a 4,000 pound vehicle is pretty negligible, and certainly doesn’t justify 10x the tip from a cost or time perspective.

We had 6 locations in a city of 130,000.
Wow. We have a single Dominos to service a population over 90,000 across three towns!
Now if I'm at a restaurant and see a waitress who looks at the tab disgusted that would be the last time I'd go to that place.
Okay, how about disappointed instead of disgusted?
I, personally think everyone should have to work retail or wait tables while in their teens.
Heck with in their teens. Let's make it mandatory for everyone of working age.

Okay, how about disappointed instead of disgusted?
I expect professionalism. If I saw a waitress give a look after looking at the bill, especially with us at the table, I would call that unprofessional. Same as if a cashier is rolling their eyes or giving some other sort of look with a customer who is acting a fool. I'm not speaking towards being upset, disgusted, disappointed or any other adjective with a negative feel to describe tipping behaviors of people. I'm speaking towards expressing that in front of other customers. People are only human so it slips every now and then but the PP spoke as if it's more of a normal occurance hence my comment. If places I frequented had waiters/waitresses often giving these sort of expressions I would, personally that is, think twice about going to those places. YMMV.

How much do you tip when you pick up?

I order, drive to Pizza Hut, get out of my car and wait in line for my food. They still expect a tip. But how much?

We get takeout occasionally from a local Italian restaurant. If a waiter/waitress rings me up, I tip them $3-4, or about 10%. I do this because they take time to box up the food, add straws, forks, napkins etc. That is time they could be making a real tip at a table. If the owner rings me up, I don't tip, because he doesn't work for $2.13 an hour, or whatever the current rate is for servers here.

I wonder how much tipping is influenced from childhood? For instance, the kids and I went out for lunch today with my folks. My dad's tip on our bill (which I saw because I was on the end and was going to pick it up before I was put down) was...generous ($65 on a $47 tab, he may have been making up for a special request I made for the kids which was 2 cups with lids and then 1 sprite and 1 glass of water, plus a side of cherries - those kids don't handle too much sugar and I have to ration the cherries). My mom is kinda a straight 20% unless its her hair person who she way over tips because she loves her and the woman gets her in or if its delivery in a terrible thunderstorm (common here). It made me think of this thread and I wondered if anyone else had been influenced this way? To me, you just tip in a certain way, it's just what you do, not something to be considered, just done.

Speaking of that special request, because we do it everywhere, DH and I both tip a little extra because it's extra work. Do most of you guys consider such or just tip a percentage and done?

I wonder how much tipping is influenced from childhood?
Some people it will be others won't.

Neither my husband nor I tip exactly like our parents and we got our tipping behaviors outside of each other's influence (meaning we don't tip one way just because the other tips that way). Small things like cultural norms (you tip the valet, you tip 15% here but more along the lines of 20%+ there, etc but not necessarily what you seem to be referring to).

($65 on a $47 tab, he may have been making up for a special request I made for the kids which was 2 cups with lids and then 1 sprite and 1 glass of water, plus a side of cherries
..er..that doesn't sound like an uber special request to me personally. Maybe if they were pitted cherries and you asked them to pit them for you lol.

I wonder how much tipping is influenced from childhood? For instance, the kids and I went out for lunch today with my folks. My dad's tip on our bill (which I saw because I was on the end and was going to pick it up before I was put down) was...generous ($65 on a $47 tab, he may have been making up for a special request I made for the kids which was 2 cups with lids and then 1 sprite and 1 glass of water, plus a side of cherries - those kids don't handle too much sugar and I have to ration the cherries). My mom is kinda a straight 20% unless its her hair person who she way over tips because she loves her and the woman gets her in or if its delivery in a terrible thunderstorm (common here). It made me think of this thread and I wondered if anyone else had been influenced this way? To me, you just tip in a certain way, it's just what you do, not something to be considered, just done.

Speaking of that special request, because we do it everywhere, DH and I both tip a little extra because it's extra work. Do most of you guys consider such or just tip a percentage and done?

$65 on a $47 tab is ridiculous. I don't know anyone that tips at 100% or over.

..er..that doesn't sound like an uber special request to me personally. Maybe if they were pitted cherries and you asked them to pit them for you lol.

The kids aren't uppity enough yet to know about artisanal candied cherries with pits like they put in some of DH's fancy manhattans/old fashions/whatever the heck. I'm sure the day is coming. I do think it seems like a lot - its 4 cups, some with lids and then cherries. I always feel bad for ordering it, but man, I don't have the strength to a) fight about sprite over dinner or b) get them home when they go from mostly well behaved kids to demons that can fly on the sugar high.

Great thing about tipping. The 20(+) percenters don't have to justify how they tip. I don't think anybody has ordered any of the lower tippers to increase, right?.

Well, no, not right. I didn't "order" anybody to justify how they tip. I just said that I personally don't understand how one justifies a 20% tip for a pizza delivery guy.

The kids aren't uppity enough yet to know about artisanal candied cherries with pits like they put in some of DH's fancy manhattans/old fashions/whatever the heck. I'm sure the day is coming. I do think it seems like a lot - its 4 cups, some with lids and then cherries. I always feel bad for ordering it, but man, I don't have the strength to a) fight about sprite over dinner or b) get them home when they go from mostly well behaved kids to demons that can fly on the sugar high.
If you think it's a lot to ask I get it and if you (or in this case your dad) felt the need to overtip especially by that amount for it go for it.

Personally I don't think it's all too special nor would I tip that much for that. It's not totally out of the norm for us to ask for to go cups (or new full drinks for that matter) nor is it out of the norm for the waiter/waitress to ask at the places that often do that. Plus with alcoholic beverages my husband and I almost always order water to go with it (so that's 2 glasses for each of us).

Mother-in-law often for breakfast gets water w/lemon, large OJ AND coffee or hot tea as a normal thing lol and that's just for her. Her mother was often that way too at dinner though that was more or less old age and not remembering that she ordered hot tea but now it's at the table she wants coffee but now that that's at the table she just wanted water.

I often ask for ranch on the side for my fries (so similar to your cherries).

I'm fairly unpicky though. Really my thing is I don't like ice in my drinks, I often want side of ranch and I want my scramble eggs to not have any runny yolk still on it :D

*Now tipping higher for those much nicer establishments that might perhaps serve those artisanal candied cherries I get that aspect (just wouldn't be ~38.5% tip {calculated if the $47 was pre-tax it would constitute a higher tip than that}) but that's just me.

A hundred percent would have been $94? I'm sure the server didn't find dad's tip ridiculous, but he was just doing his thing TBH.

Maybe I am misunderstand your post. Was the bill $47 and then he tipped $65 more, or the bill was $47 and he paid $65 total (a tip of $18)?

If you think it's a lot to ask I get it and if you (or in this case your dad) felt the need to overtip especially by that amount for it go for it.

Personally I don't think it's all too special nor would I tip that much for that. It's not totally out of the norm for us to ask for to go cups (or new full drinks for that matter) nor is it out of the norm for the waiter/waitress to ask at the places that often do that. Plus with alcoholic beverages my husband and I almost always order water to go with it (so that's 2 glasses for each of us).

*Now tipping higher for those much nicer establishments that might perhaps serve those artisanal candied cherries I get that aspect (just wouldn't be ~38.5% tip {calculated if the $47 was pre-tax it would constitute a higher tip than that}) but that's just me.

That's just kinda how dad rolls and always has. He has the general attitude of if the service was good (and it was great) then he just pays it forward. My dad is very much a he does what he darn well pleases and everyone else be darned and that woman took good care of his grandbabies? She got a nice tip for it.

DH and I both just tend to add a dollar or so to our 20% for the kids, and their weird drinks, we don't go crazy, just a little more.

We all tip on the total. I didn't have the time to look at the tab before tax before it was out of my hands.

Maybe I am misunderstand your post. Was the bill $47 and then he tipped $65 more, or the bill was $47 and he paid $65 total (a tip of $18)?

Yes. Sorry if that was unclear. I gave up caffeine and I'm probably totally unintelligible now.

Yes. Sorry if that was unclear. I gave up caffeine and I'm probably totally unintelligible now.

Him tipping $18 on the bill is more understandable. I think the people who replied earlier thought a $65 tip was a little over the top for a couple extra cups and cherries.

That's just kinda how dad rolls and always has. He has the general attitude of if the service was good (and it was great) then he just pays it forward. My dad is very much a he does what he darn well pleases and everyone else be darned and that woman took good care of his grandbabies? She got a nice tip for it.

DH and I both just tend to add a dollar or so to our 20% for the kids, and their weird drinks, we don't go crazy, just a little more.

We all tip on the total. I didn't have the time to look at the tab before tax before it was out of my hands.
Step-father-in-law is a generous tipper I'd say on average but has zero issues with lowering tip for service issues. Those service issues tend to be more minor in mine and my husband's eyes I'd say on average. So I guess sometimes someone is going to get a higher tip than we would give but sometimes they are going to get a lower tip than we would give. It's really rare for us honestly to lower our tip at normal restaurants.

I stopped tipping off the total (post-tax) long ago. The additional stuff is state, city, local, special tax districts (which are common enough in my area), and sin tax (for alcohol and the like). Not to mention sales tax anyways gets raised at the drop of a hat here lol and never seems to go away (oh sure it's only for 10 or 15 years and then something else is added again rather than the sales tax lowering--at least that's how a lot of us feel).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter