Do people really tip the pizza delivery person so little?

I stopped tipping off the total (post-tax) long ago. The additional stuff is state, city, local, special tax districts (which are common enough in my area), and sin tax (for alcohol and the like). Not to mention sales tax anyways gets raised at the drop of a hat here lol and never seems to go away (oh sure it's only for 10 or 15 years and then something else is added again rather than the sales tax lowering--at least that's how a lot of us feel).

If I think about my tipping without those, I tip way more than I thought.

When I start thinking about tipping on sin taxes I may revise my policy, because they are ever mounting as are the astronomical prices of cocktails. That's what's getting out of control here. I'm starting to realize why the hipsters all drink PBR.

I already justified it earlier. I explained my thought process.

Ok then. I don’t think it really justifies it but ok.

I tip 20% because it’s what I want to tip. they do as much work as wait staff and I tip them 20%. . I worked as a waitress for many years and know what it includes. Two of my kids worked delivering pizza and I know what that includes. They both used their own vehicles and bought their own gas to do a service for people. That is what they are tipped for.

Ok then. I don’t think it really justifies it but ok.

I tip 20% because it’s what I want to tip. they do as much work as wait staff and I tip them 20%. . I worked as a waitress for many years and know what it includes. Two of my kids worked delivering pizza and I know what that includes. They both used their own vehicles and bought their own gas to do a service for people. That is what they are tipped for.

Fair enough.

I figure if my lazy butt can't get up off the couch to get my own pizza, then I'll tip at least $10 to get it delivered.

However, I'm also very grateful for the lifestyle DH and I have, and am glad it's not me out in the elements, making minimum wage, using my own mileage and gas for minimal tips.

That's just me. Do whatever you please When it comes to tipping.

certainly doesn’t justify
Again, no need to justify. You don't want to tip that much/percent. Nobody is suggesting anybody else comply with our individual tipping processes.
$65 on a $47 tab is ridiculous. I don't know anyone that tips at 100% or over.
I know that poster clarified, but even if her father did pay a total of $102, that's his decision. He's not saying anybody else must tip 38% or 138%.
Well, no, not right. I didn't "order" anybody to justify how they tip. I just said that I personally don't understand how one justifies a 20% tip for a pizza delivery guy.
Again, nobody needs or should be expected to justify why they tip higher than normal (whatever normal is). It doesn't require justification.

Again, nobody needs or should be expected to justify why they tip higher than normal (whatever normal is). It doesn't require justification.

That's true. I'm just saying I don't get it. I'm giving my opinion that I think 20% for a pizza delivery is outrageous. Conversely, posters call tell me they think I'm a scrooge for giving $3-4.

Message board posters don't have to agree.

I figure if my lazy butt can't get up off the couch to get my own pizza, then I'll tip at least $10 to get it delivered.

However, I'm also very grateful for the lifestyle DH and I have, and am glad it's not me out in the elements, making minimum wage, using my own mileage and gas for minimal tips.

That's just me. Do whatever you please When it comes to tipping.

Yes, this! We always tip minimum 20% for delivery due to the aggravation they must face in bad weather and traffic. Our favorite pizza place has the best delivery people and they deserve it.
Another thing I never realized until I was a hostess at a restaurant years ago is to tip for takeout even when we are picking it up ourselves. I saw how upset the waitstaff would be when someone who picked up a takeout order they had assembled didn't tip at all. It's a lot of work to box and bag everything, time away from their existing tables and they deserve a 10% tip minimum.

That's true. I'm just saying I don't get it. I'm giving my opinion that I think 20% for a pizza delivery is outrageous. Conversely, posters call tell me they think I'm a scrooge for giving $3-4.

Message board posters don't have to agree.

I don’t think we have to agree either but I think saying it’s “outrageous” is a bit over the top.

Hey, I don’t deliver pizza and I wouldn’t be your delivery person anyway so I don’t care what anyone tips. BUT, I think justifying it by things that don’t hold water isn’t right either.

You tip $3 because that is what you choose to tip. I tip $10-15 because it’s what I choose to tip. Someone else tips exactly 20% because it’s what the choose to tip.

Does that make you a Scrooge? I don’t know. Does it make you feel like one?

This thread shamed me. Once a week, I do an online order for my family at Dunkin Donuts and it's always ready when I go in around 6:00 AM. The people who work there are cheerful and efficient, even that early. They are amazing! I pay through the app and there is no tip option like Starbucks (love that feature!), and I rarely carry cash so I have never tipped them. Today I had a $5 and a $1. I dropped the $1 in the tip bucket before I grabbed my order and the woman (whose young child was sitting with headphones on reading at a table while she worked) said thank you very much. I wish I had given the $5. Next week for sure.

I began working at McDonalds when I was 15 (no one ever tipped). As soon as I got my drivers license at 16 I started delivering pizzas. I thought I had died and gone to heaven but it was deliveries mostly to college students and relatively poor people who never tipped. The experience from these jobs was invaluable later in life and I tip 20%+ now to pizza delivery drivers and in restaurants. Tipping is often reasonably influenced by ones financial capacity to tip.

I worked for a family owned pizza restaurant and have never in many years since eaten better pizzas or sandwiches than the ones I delivered.

For goodness sake even Spiderman couldn’t cut it as a pizza deliverer. :)

Would you tip if you went in to order?

I never, ever go inside D&D to order.
I did actually have to go into Starbuck's to order this morning as their app ordering wasn't up yet and I did leave a $2 tip when I paid with the app. Our local ice cream shop has this too-you pay on a flat screen and it pops up and it's great.
I am teetering into a discussion about everyone having their hand out for tips now!

I began working at McDonalds when I was 15 (no one ever tipped). As soon as I got my drivers license at 16 I started delivering pizzas. I thought I had died and gone to heaven but it was deliveries mostly to college students and relatively poor people who never tipped. The experience from these jobs was invaluable later in life and I tip 20%+ now to pizza delivery drivers and in restaurants. Tipping is often reasonably influenced by ones financial capacity to tip.

I worked for a family owned pizza restaurant and have never in many years since eaten better pizzas or sandwiches than the ones I delivered.

For goodness sake even Spiderman couldn’t cut it as a pizza deliverer. :)

Working in a restaurant is always great experience! When I couldn't afford much, I never ate out let alone ordered takeout. I always feel that if I can't afford to tip 20%, then I can't afford to eat out or even takeout. If we can order $20 worth of drinks from Starbuck's then we can afford to add $2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter