Do people really tip the pizza delivery person so little?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
Ordered some pizza for the family and several of my daughters friends who were visiting. The total was $52.40 for three pizzas and two orders of bread and I added a 20% tip of $10.48.

When I answered the door the pizza delivery dude started with thanking me for the phenomenal tip. He said I had made his day.

I had to go back and check the receipt to make sure I had not tipped $100.48 because he was so happy with the tip.

He mentioned that most people opt not to tip online, online defaults to 15%, you have to click through several warnings to remove the tip, and tip in person at $1 a pizza. In this case that would only be 5.7%.

I'll be honest, pizza is so expensive at about $25 a pizza here for a good one from the family run pizza place, that I always pick mine up to avoid the extra cost of delivery. So, never have had one delivered. I do leave a few dollar tip at the counter in the tip jar, but not 20%.
I am on a Things I Remember Growing Up Facebook page, and people talk about their favorite pizza growing up in the late 1960's. The economy was pretty awful then....(so bad the President Nixon issued an executive order freezing prices and wages).......and other than the Chef Boyardee make at home kits, I don't think I ever had a pizza from a pizza parlor until I was 16 or 17.

I would’ve just given $60, but my town is only 3 miles long, and most of the pizzerias I order from are within one mile.

ETA there are about 25 local Mom and pop places in town, a plain pie is about $11, and no one charges delivery.

We ordered pizza yesterday delivered. It was $21 and change. We gave him a $5 as a tip. We were so happy to have it delivered it was worth every penny.

I always tip $10.00 or 20% whichever is more. And they typically thank us profusely. Last week I had a free pizza and ordered some bread, it would not let me tip more than my order. Luckily I had some cash to add to it. That's got to be awful for the drivers.

I always tip $10.00 or 20% whichever is more. And they typically thank us profusely. Last week I had a free pizza and ordered some bread, it would not let me tip more than my order. Luckily I had some cash to add to it. That's got to be awful for the drivers.
:confused: So you wanted to tip more than the actual food cost? Why?

ETA - never mind. I just got that the pizza was free.

My husband used to work at a gas station that also delivered their pizzas(they are fantastic) and he said that here people rarely tip because they feel the delivery charge is the tip.

The only time we get pizza delivery is when the kids are home alone. We have them tip $5 per trip regardless of their order. It is usually a little more than 20%. I figure they did just as much driving regardless if if whether it is a $15 order or a $30 order.

I usually pick up my own pizza like @tvguy because it saves money and I seem to get it hotter if I pick it up myself. But last night my son had friends over and i didn't want to leave them to pick it up so i had it delivered. Online were three tip options, 12%, 15%, and 18%. I didn't even see a way to leave more, not that I really wanted to.

A couple months ago the delivery guy dropped my cheesy bread on my doorstep. He was very apologetic and said he'd go right back and get me a fresh one. i told him it really, truly was not important at all and to wait and bring it when he had another delivery nearby. He said oh no he'd bring it to me right away, and I said oh no really, anytime is fine. Well he was back in about 20 minutes with fresh, hot cheesy bread, and he kind of hung back and looked like he expected to be tipped again. I didn't have any cash, so I said thank you and took my cheesy bread inside.

Then I felt a little guilty for not tipping him again. Then I felt a little mad at myself for feeling guilty because it wasn't my fault he had to come twice. It kind of ruined the cheesy bread experience.

I have food delivered a lot. I have stopped tipping through the app and am now tipping cash after a few crappy door dash deliveries. I’ve watched a driver take my assignment then divert to another assignment making me wait an additional 30 minutes and once ditching me completely

Now strictly cash after my food has safely and timely arrived

For local pizza place, my usual tip is about 20% or $6 or so.

We get tons of food delivered (I'm not driving right now due to some medical issues) and use Instacart exclusively. We usually tip 20 or 18%. I can't imagine tipping less. I can feel my momma's hand on the back of my head saying "I raised you better than that." My dad is an outrageous tipper for the places he frequents and his life is way better for it.

I usually give at least $2 or so. But I hate when I order a lunch special, and the place charges $3.99 delivery on a $6 order. Plus its a 3 minute drive (its when I Can't leave work and need food).

a plain pie is about $11, and no one charges delivery.

THAT is a bargain. Our favorite place is $24.99 for a large. A create your own with one topping is $19.99. I just checked one of their competitors and they charge $28.50 for a large. Checked one more, they are $22.75 for one topping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter