Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So am I right that the preferred pool view guarantees building 6? Is it worth the extra cost of preferred pool view vs preferred room?
It’s really a personal decision. Buildings 4 and 5 are close to Hippy Dippy Pool, food court, buses, gondola and Classic Hall.

But, they are also some of the loudest rooms at Pop as they face the main pool.

It’s truly personal but for us standard rooms offer everything we want and need at a more reasonable price. We’ve stayed at Pop more than 20 times and always stayed in a standard room and been very happy. Only once did we find the room to be a further distance than we wanted and if we were placed in that building again we’d request to be moved.

We had preferred pool last July because it was the only room available. It was definitely close to everything but definitely loud (our room was right outside where movie night was set up. But nothing our white noise machine couldn’t drown out either).

Pop really isn’t that big that preferred is a necessity. Standard rooms are everywhere (not just 50s & 90s) and the lake view rooms are in that category plus some of the quietest. I’ve always had great success at Pop getting placed in the section I want (we don’t request a lot of specifics outside a specific decade & top floor).

Will I be able to request 'No housekeeping' even if I am not eligible for the gift card? I'm not eligible due to getting a great discounted room rate from a travel agency. I really don't want anyone coming into my room and don't mind keeping the room clean myself. We have been traveling this way for several years and much prefer to be out of the daily housekeeping loop.
You should be eligible for the gift card. The gift card has nothing to do with what kind of discount you got. Last summer, I got big discounts (free dining), and had no trouble getting the no housekeeping gift card. It's a rebate for not using housekeeping, and that's the same amount of savings to Disney no matter how much you paid for your room. Remember: when you checkin, go to the front desk and request "Opting out of housekeeping." You can even call from your room phone. Either way, I was able to get the gift card (I didn't even ask for it when I called, and it was there in my email.)

As @scrappinginontario stated, there's this room check thing. Theoretically, they come into your room once a day, look around, take the garbage, then leave. Here's what happened to me during 2 different stays last summer:

First stay, 15 nights: room check came first day. A woman with a clipboard. I was on the hotel phone with Disney and I did not have the sign out. She knocked, opened the door, and poked her head in. I waved at her to come in while continue to talk on the phone. She came in, walked quickly to the bathroom, then turned around and left. She did not take the garbage. That's it! During the rest of my stay, they never showed again. Everyday I waited for them to come, and they never did, and I was slightly irritated by that, like getting "stood up." And nobody ever took the garbage. for 15 nights. But I did get my $140, so that was useful. I forgot to put shoes on my then DS2 and had to buy him a pair in MK. They cost $53 :scared: on the gift card.

Second stay: 4 nights: Opted out of housekeeping, got gift card. Housekeeping came in anyway! And messed everything up. I had to spend 20 minutes at night to remake DS2's bed after an exhausting day. Called Disney to complain. The next day, housekeeping came in anyway! Third day, maid came in while I was in the room. I told her that we opted out of housekeeping. She looked confused and then did not come in after that.

But anyway, you have to defend your privacy very carefully now because of the room check thing. I don't bother using the sign because they changed it from "Do Not Disturb" to "Room Occupied." That means they might still come in even with the sign, and people have reported them coming into the room with the sign up. I do not like this new system! I mean, if I had anything illegal in there, all I need to do is cover it. It's not like they are do a search; they just look, they don't touch anything or open any drawers or luggages. It's basically a joke that does nothing but invade privacy, in my opinion anyway.

Are there freezers in the new fridges? I don’t figure there is, but I thought I’d ask. We usually use some ice from the ice machine in a ziploc bag for our cooler backpack to take to the parks. But now that they are banning loose ice, I’m not sure what to do. I don’t expect water will stay cold very long in a cooler in August without ice.
I haven't checked if the new fridges can freeze, but the old ones used to freeze my milk when I turn it down too far. And by the way, I think you are not allowed to bring "wagons" in anymore either. Aren't coolers wagons?

You should be eligible for the gift card. The gift card has nothing to do with what kind of discount you got. Last summer, I got big discounts (free dining), and had no trouble getting the no housekeeping gift card. It's a rebate for not using housekeeping, and that's the same amount of savings to Disney no matter how much you paid for your room. Remember: when you checkin, go to the front desk and request "Opting out of housekeeping." You can even call from your room phone. Either way, I was able to get the gift card (I didn't even ask for it when I called, and it was there in my email.)

Some TAs use a convention discount and it has been widely reported that guests who book with these discounts have not qualified for the gift card.

which would be a closer walk to the Skyliner gondolas?

Definitely 50s closer than 90s.

2. Transportation to MK from Pop: which would be easiest? Our car to TTC? Bus? or Minnie-van/Lyft? I see that the bus stop at MK for Pop is one of the farthest away. Is it a bad walk? I have some knee problems, stamina issues. How bad is the wait for buses for Pop at park closing for MK? What's your preferred method of getting to/from MK?

During park opening/closing hours: Minnievans are the best if you can get them; they pick you up at the bus stop, not TTC. Buses are a long wait (half hour or so), but might still be better than trying to get out of TTC parking lot. Bus stop is far but not horribly so, maybe 3 minutes walk. It's closer than CBR and AofA's stops, don't know why. They cost 2 or 3 times as much as Pop.

I go to MK late and come back before fireworks to avoid the crowd. If I have to go during rush hour, I get in line for the bus, then call the Minnievan if the line is too long. If one is available, I get out of the line and go look for the Minnievan. If not, then I submit to our fate and wait in line. The wait isn't long because buses usually keep coming. I do don't do Lyft because I don't like to be stuck in TTC.

Whst is the difference between preferred room and preferred pool view room? Are the preferred pool view rooms only in bldg 6? If not; what buildings are the preferred pool rooms in and are they worth the slightly higher rate than the preferred room? Am I right that bldg 6 is the most centrally located to the buses, main pool, Everything Pop, and check in building?
preferred pool view is a preferred room that also faces the pool. It's worth it if you have kids swimming and you want to be able to look them from outside your door. Otherwise I see no benefit because they are more noisy. The 60s (buildings 4 and 5, strange naming system) is the closest as a building, but many rooms in 70s and 50s are closer than certain rooms in 60s, so they are also called "preferred." If you book a preferred room, you are very close to everything, including the Skyliner. You don't need to think about the building. You only need to think about which floor you want to be on.

During park opening/closing hours: Minnievans are the best if you can get them; they pick you up at the bus stop, not TTC. Buses are a long wait (half hour or so), but might still be better than trying to get out of TTC parking lot. Bus stop is far but not horribly so, maybe 3 minutes walk. It's closer than CBR and AofA's stops, don't know why. They cost 2 or 3 times as much as Pop.

I go to MK late and come back before fireworks to avoid the crowd. If I have to go during rush hour, I get in line for the bus, then call the Minnievan if the line is too long. If one is available, I get out of the line and go look for the Minnievan. If not, then I submit to our fate and wait in line. The wait isn't long because buses usually keep coming. I do don't do Lyft because I don't like to be stuck in TTC.

Keep in mind that Minnie Van service is the most expensive rideshare and that can add up quickly. Minnie Van is the only one that drops off directly at MK, but others can drop you off at the Contemporary and it’s a quick walk over.

I’m not sure I’ve ever waited 30 minutes for a bus with any regularity.

Bus stop location has nothing to do with cost of stay.

As @scrappinginontario stated, there's this room check thing. Theoretically, they come into your room once a day, look around, take the garbage, then leave. Here's what happened to me during 2 different stays last summer:

First stay, 15 nights: room check came first day. A woman with a clipboard. I was on the hotel phone with Disney and I did not have the sign out. She knocked, opened the door, and poked her head in. I waved at her to come in while continue to talk on the phone. She came in, walked quickly to the bathroom, then turned around and left. She did not take the garbage. That's it! During the rest of my stay, they never showed again. Everyday I waited for them to come, and they never did, and I was slightly irritated by that, like getting "stood up." And nobody ever took the garbage. for 15 nights. But I did get my $140, so that was useful. I forgot to put shoes on my then DS2 and had to buy him a pair in MK. They cost $53 :scared: on the gift card.

Second stay: 4 nights: Opted out of housekeeping, got gift card. Housekeeping came in anyway! And messed everything up. I had to spend 20 minutes at night to remake DS2's bed after an exhausting day. Called Disney to complain. The next day, housekeeping came in anyway! Third day, maid came in while I was in the room. I told her that we opted out of housekeeping. She looked confused and then did not come in after that.

But anyway, you have to defend your privacy very carefully now because of the room check thing. I don't bother using the sign because they changed it from "Do Not Disturb" to "Room Occupied." That means they might still come in even with the sign, and people have reported them coming into the room with the sign up. I do not like this new system! I mean, if I had anything illegal in there, all I need to do is cover it. It's not like they are do a search; they just look, they don't touch anything or open any drawers or luggages. It's basically a joke that does nothing but invade privacy, in my opinion anyway.

I'm asking because of a recent thread where someone in a similar situation had a gift card problem.

See this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/help-im-here-now-wont-give-me-housekeeping-because-of-ta.3744723/

Actually it does. There is a specific discount that is definitely not eligible for the gift card to opt out of housekeeping.

I'm asking because of a recent thread where someone in a similar situation had a gift card problem.

we stayed at POP last may and were denied the card due to our being booked under a convention/group rate. didn't bother me as the 70 bucks would have been given to the DD for walking around money to blow.
we might as well opted out any way as the mousekeeping missed our room several days and the days they did come they didn't dump trash or replenish the coffee supplies. I figure they missed our room because all the laundry carts were blocking our room half the day every day we were there.

we stayed at POP last may and were denied the card due to our being booked under a convention/group rate. didn't bother me as the 70 bucks would have been given to the DD for walking around money to blow.
we might as well opted out any way as the mousekeeping missed our room several days and the days they did come they didn't dump trash or replenish the coffee supplies. I figure they missed our room because all the laundry carts were blocking our room half the day every day we were there.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My discounted rate is from a travel agency but I don't know if their bookings are considered 'convention' or whatever.

I think I'm going to email my agent and ask this question. I will follow up here.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My discounted rate is from a travel agency but I don't know if their bookings are considered 'convention' or whatever.

I think I'm going to email my agent and ask this question. I will follow up here.

If they booked you at the “group rate” you won’t get it. They should be able to let you know. Good luck!

I would just ask for the gift card once you check in at Pop. If they say no, you’ll know why. Good luck!

You should be eligible for the gift card. The gift card has nothing to do with what kind of discount you got..

Some TA discounts do NOT include the gift card because of the preferred aka group rate. We always decline mousekeeping no matter what. During my last 3 trips (free dining, awesome TA rate, discounted military rate) only the TA rate did not get us the gift card. FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter