• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dreams premiere live broadcast Saturday 31/3/12 at 9:30pm (UK time)

I don't want to spoil the surprise before we go in May but I just caved and watched the first five minutes! It looks amazing and I can't wait to see it for real!

I watched it earlier and thought it quite impressive. Not sure about using the water fountain as a screen. It's difficult to see who they are showing. I thought this when I saw similar in Florida.

Either was, really looking forward to seeing this live. It will be much better I'm sure. Makes up for the slight disapointment in the new parade (looked like a couple of new floats and a new song to me, nothing else had changed) and the party train colour scheme:sick:

not impressed.
Usually press events get twice or three times as much special effects as regular shows for the "regular" guests.

The TF1 broadcast was edited (even if it was on the fly) and it adds to the drama and sense of "grandeur".
But even then, you can notice that some of the box shaped trees will block the view of at least one "waterfall screen"
Those water screens work relatively fine with fantasmic, but they seem to not work so fine in DLRP, and even if the central stage has been removed, this show seems to be best viewed from a distance.
I'm waiting for reviews from people who actually get to experience the show in person, but I'm skeptical.

The projections on the castle are cool, but in my opinion they haven't quite matched The magic, the memories and you from WDW

The Dreams show is a mix a fantasmic, world of color and a fireworks show. I guess it was better reuse 3 existing shows, with a little make up, rather than giving the guests a brand new show.

I would rather have seen a complete copycat of "the magic the memories and you" followed by wishes over that Dreams show.
With DLRP's current situation, one thing came to my mind halfway through the show : "smoke and mirrors"

The only thing that keeps me positive is to realise that "we have nothing better in europe" but that doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed ... well actually it's exactely what I was expecting ... like lots of make up on a very old lady pretending that makes her 20 again

(end rant)

I'm waiting for reviews from people who actually get to experience the show in person, but I'm skeptical.

We've already had a positive one posted by Orion last week after the CM preview.

I have only watched the first couple of minutes of this, but I really do think will be one of those things that is far better when you are there in person, rather than watching a clip of it taped by someone else.

I'm very excited to see this as many nights as possible in June :goodvibes.

chmurf - you are entitled to your opinion even if it differs from most on here! :thumbsup2 ;)

However, some boards have Americans saying they want Dreams or similar over at their MKs, so I guess they on the whole see it as something different and something to get excited about (although I know what you mean about being a mix of 3 different shows, but what else could there have been do you think? - fireworks/lasers/water is about as good as it gets, is it not?).

Elaine, I agree that it will be better in person (although still found the first 4 mins or so great at home!), but isn't that the point. DLRP want people there, not watching it from their armchair at home :goodvibes.

I think it is a huge step in the right direction for DLRP and a night show to be proud of :lovestruc:wizard:.

PS - I have only read one negative review (on Steve Davison's facebook page!) from someone who states he has spoken to a few French CMs who were not impressed by Dreams - I haven't seen/or read any of this firsthand though :confused3

We've already had a positive one posted by Orion last week after the CM preview.

right, I should have said "actual guest", because "special events", such as for CMs or the Press, or even special VIPs (like the Prince) are usually quite different from what we, the measly guests, get.

although I know what you mean about being a mix of 3 different shows, but what else could there have been do you think? - fireworks/lasers/water is about as good as it gets, is it not?).

Don't get me wrong, I liked the show and I think it's actually pretty cool. But I think that it does not do it for a 20th anniversary.

Despite all that's been said, the parade is just a revised version of DOUaD, where, to simplify, they changed the order of the floats and a few characters' outfits (very simplified but that's the general idea behind the "new" parade). The "train" has been abused one more time. And instead of having a truely new nightime show they just changed the fireworks into some kind of hybrid stuff.
Characters action was removed and replaced by movies which can't even be clearly seen (when at Fantasmic they are repeated 3 times for all the audience to see), etc

no really, the 20th anniversary could have been a good opportunity to give guests a true nightime experience.
Once again, look at MK, they have MSEP, The magic the memories and you, and wishes, all packed in a couple of hours. But in DLRP, it seems like they went "all in" with a 20 minutes show, as if to tell the guests "ok we gave it all, now it's time to go home, and don't forget to go through gift shops"
Maybe it's the same in WDW, but it seems pretty much less obvious.

well, nevermind. The show is good in the end, and I'm sure the vast majority of guests will enjoy it and feel that it's really worth it and the money, but I still consider that DLRP's done it the "easy way" once again. Not much magic, a whole lot of flashy cheap tricks like a CNN theme for a special news flash.

well just ignore me, it must be for a reason that my 4yr old insists that I buy Grumpy merchandise while in the parks :)

right, I should have said "actual guest", because "special events", such as for CMs or the Press, or even special VIPs (like the Prince) are usually quite different from what we, the measly guests, get.
Actually, we have had a glowing report from an 'actual guest' today about last night's performance, it's from Happy Days in the Trip Report section. :)

well just ignore me, it must be for a reason that my 4yr old insists that I buy Grumpy merchandise while in the parks :)
Lol, I'm sure you're a big softy at heart! :goodvibes

No worries chmurf - like I said you are entitled to your opinion, please don't feel you have to justify it further as I can see your reasoning :).

As for the Grumpy merchandise... Well, I bought my DH a lovely quality Grumpy t-shirt on our first DLRP trip some years ago, for years he wore it as a pj top as clearly he felt he couldn't wear it 'outside' although he did not say anything!:rotfl2:. I also bought him one of those cool insulated cups with Grumpy on but he did use that one :thumbsup2.... Not that I am trying to tell him something as he is not grumpy at all really, well, most of the time anyway ;)....

Nothing extra special for us measly cast members either :) in fact the show was 30 mins late due to a technical hitch so by the time it started everyone was freezing and in a 'this better be good' mood.

When it finished everyone from the 'I don't do Disney I just work here' to the 'I've been here since 1992 what makes this so special then...' employee was stood there with their mouths open.

You have to see it to experience it, just watched the video of the proper filming from the preview night; there was nothing more lavish that night than the guests are seeing right now and all I could think was, it really doesn't come across on video...

You gotta be there and if a tree blocks your view of one of the screens.... Well suppose that's better that than some dude with a little pirate or princess hoisted on their shoulders for a better view, or watching it through the LCD screen of the camera of the person in front of you ;)

End of the day it's Disney, it's innovative, it's added nothing to the price of your ticket, (and it's pretty long for a spectacle)

Keep on believing and always look on the bright side of life... De dum, de dum de dum de dum... X

I watched the video of this yesterday - Dreams looks incredible. So much better than I was expecting and I definitely want to see this in person!

I caved in and watched the first few minutes.. all I can say is WOW! In 60 days time I'll be seeing it for real, well if I can get mini-me to stay awake long enough on our first day! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter