Disabled Parking - Cheaters?

bsmcneil said:
it's interesting to read this thread as my doctor has several times asked me if i wanted a placard and i've said no because most people would see me, a 23 year old male not in a wheelchair, and assume i was misusing it. otoh, i really do need it. similarly, i won't use a wheelchair at WDW when i go although when i come back i likely won't be able to move for 2-3 days. i dunno how to get past the problems of society assuming people are able-bodied, but i know i haven't yet and likely wont' for some time.
You have interesting but incorrect assumptions.

When I finally asked my physician to sign for a handicap placard his basic response was "what took you so long to ask". If you need it you need it. Listen to your doctor. Note that you do not have to use it all the time, but it is insurance for when you are having a bad day and/or the closest you can get to your destination is a long way away.

Is there any reason for you to worry or even care what people who don't know you think about you?????!!! And if anyone challanges you a nice, even polite, response is to sweetly say: I will give you this placard free if you will also take my invisible disabilities.

bsmcneil said:
it's interesting to read this thread as my doctor has several times asked me if i wanted a placard and i've said no because most people would see me, a 23 year old male not in a wheelchair, and assume i was misusing it. otoh, i really do need it. similarly, i won't use a wheelchair at WDW when i go although when i come back i likely won't be able to move for 2-3 days. i dunno how to get past the problems of society assuming people are able-bodied, but i know i haven't yet and likely wont' for some time.
As Dr Phil would say " How's that working for you?" I was a bit older when I first needed the H/P parking and it did make me sad that I needed it. But once I used the parking the freedom and relief it brought me I realized how false pride robbed me of some great experiences. Try looking at yourself as a young man doing everything he can to live his life to the fullest. Use whatever you need to achieve your heights.

Cheshire Figment said:
You have interesting but incorrect assumptions.

I've been told by people that I shouldn't be considered disabled so how exactly is that an assumption? I was saying that I eschewed this so I didn't have to deal with people and their assumptions because I have enough to deal with.

bsmcniel said:
most people would see me, a 23 year old male not in a wheelchair, and assume i was misusing it
You seem to be of the opinion that a majority of people would assume you are misusing the tag. If they say anything to you, just sweetly (not necessarily politely) tell them you have an invisible disability and they should check with your doctor before they make rash statements. They are being rude to you and you do not have to (and should not) take it.

Here's something that should bring a smile to many of our faces. :sunny:

My sil uses her dead grandmother's handicapped permit with absolutely no guilt. She justifies it by saying "they get all the good places". Well, just a week ago, she parked in a handicapped spot in a grocery store, using Granny's permit. When she came out, her car was wrecked--the entire rear bumper was destroyed, and a lot of other damage, obviously someone had backed right in to her. I don't think whoever did it was for spite, looked to me like just careless driving. Well, she doesn't know who did it, obviously, so she can't claim on their insurance, and she just carries basic liability, no collision or comprehensive, so she doesn't have insurance to pay for the damage. She huffed into the grocery store making a scene and insisting they were partly responsible. The grocery store filled out an incident report, noting she was parked in the handicapped space. Their insurance refuses to pay anything on the claim since she was illegally parked. :banana: :banana: :banana: She's just sol :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Over $5000 of damage :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Not to mention the $500 ticket the police issued her for illegally parking there (the store called the police at her insistence!)

Of course, she's trying to sue the grocery store, trying to get a lawyer, etc., however, she really doesn't stand a chance and she knows it! But she did get a good parking space! :cool1:

Well, I would say that Karma bit her in the butt.
Thanks for sharing the story.

SueM in MN said:
Well, I would say that Karma bit her in the butt.
Thanks for sharing the story.

More like somone else's karma ran over her dogma. :lmao:

And I guess the police also confiscated the hang tag so she can't do that again.:rolleyes1 :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :stir:

bsmcneil said:
I've been told by people that I shouldn't be considered disabled so how exactly is that an assumption? I was saying that I eschewed this so I didn't have to deal with people and their assumptions because I have enough to deal with.
By what people? Medical people or (excuse me, but) busybodies? YOU know what you need, and your physician knows what you need. Cheshire Figment expresses this so much more politely, but frankly it's none of ANYBODY else's business if you need an HP plate/placard, or why.

My DS(7) has a hip condition where if he walks for very long periods of time he is in pain and starts to limp. We were issued a permit. I also get funny looks when we are getting out of the car. We also have a stroller for him to use when we are going to be doing a lot of walking. It is a considered a wheelchair/Stroller but looks more like a stroller and I cant tell you how many looks we get because he looks like nothing is wrong. I wish people could really know what is wrong so they wouldn't judge. Imagine how he feels. He is not supposed to play gym, run, jump all the fun things for a 7 year old. So even though he looks like a healthy young man he has a disability. One thing I have to look forward to is that one day his condition will get better and we wont need the permit anymore. But I will never judge anyone for using a permit.

subscibing and just wanted to add what happened to me at Wal-Mart the other day.

I have MS and to look at me I look "normal'. I have good days and then I have VERY bad days. Well, this was a bad day for me, DD8 wanted to go and spend a Gift Card she had received from school. When we parked this lady sat right behind my van until we had both gotten out. She thing proceeded to curse me and call me everything under the sun. Was saying things about me "abusing" the handicapped placard that I have. This continued until my DD got so upset that she started crying!! She then asked me why this lady was treating me like this and I very calmly told her that she didn't understand that not everyone's disability could be seen from the naked eye. She then turned to the woman and said... You can have the spot if you really need it but you will also have to help my Mommy out of the store when she can't walk to the new spot. This just tugged at my heart!!!! She knew that I wasn't feeling very good and knew that by the time we were done shopping that I would be wiped out!!

The things we do for our kids!!!

It's sad how people don't understand how a person that has a handicapped parking permit, may have a invisible disability that the person who judges them, will not see. My mom has Nueropathy in her legs and ankles, and even though the handicapped parking permit is under my name, people still stare at us, like we don't need to use the handicapped parking spot. My syndrome is very visible to anyone that notices, but the reason why I use a wheelchair, is not. People have stared/glared at me because I look like I'm in my teens, when I'm 25 years old, for "abusing the use of the permit" (even though my mom and I did everything right, to get it for me).

There are times where I use my walker/cane besides my 2 wheelchairs, and so my mom having to park in the handicapped parking space, makes it easier on me, due to the fact of my back problems, and poor balance coordination. Not only that, but my wheelchair van has a side-entry ramp, and needs 8 ft of space, to be deployed, so that I can get out with my power chair.

Samantha

MS does not meet the standard of disability required by the ADA, nor does Lupus, facial pain, and on and on. But they may meet local legal standards. Do you know the law under which you are classed as "disabled"?.

It is unfair that some are required to lead lives beset by pain, agony, and illness but, there is a legal standard that defines disability in this country and simply finding a doctor, whether through empathy or ignorance, who will issue a MOBILITY disability parking permit to someone without a MOBILITY-based disability, as defined by the ADA, or local laws, thereby committing fraud, does not mean that someone is legally entitled to use it.

Actually, depending on a person's symptoms, MS and Lupus can meet the ADA's standards. My sister has Lupus, and I have MS (I know, it's a freak show) and we've both got placards. She has one because extreme temperatures (Hot or cold) aggravate her condition. Mine is for my "dizzy" or stiff days, or for the MS fatigue. I can't speak for my sister, but in my case my neurologist suggested the placard to me (I didn't have to coerce anyone). I very rarely use it, because as others have mentioned, it's difficult to face the looks from other people who can't ~see~ anything wrong with me.
I think it's a shame that someone WITH a disability would discriminate against me because I don't fit their personal definition of disability. I would think that, out of everyone, a fellow disabled person would know better.

There are so many different degrees of disability. Until they start labeling the spaces according to degree I do this -

I never use the spaces if there are regular spaces nearby or if I am having a 'good' day. :thumbsup2

I do my best to use the furtherest away handicap spot when I do need it as I am not in a wheelchair etc. :cool1:

I careful examine my conscious regularly to make sure I am not abusing the 'privilege". :love:

I did not ask for the card. My doctor talked me into it. The closing argument was that I could just use it when I needed to. It is easier for me to have the card than for the ambulance to have to come and pick me up. On my really bad days I stay home.

Slightly Goofy, who is only responsible for her own morals and not those of others. :sunny:

My mom has a handicap placard in her car. All the MVA asked for was a note from her doctor stating the reason she needs one. She has bad knees and can't walk too far. It has been great for her.

AlmostMrsH said:
Actually, depending on a person's symptoms, MS and Lupus can meet the ADA's standards. My sister has Lupus, and I have MS (I know, it's a freak show) and we've both got placards.
::yes::
Although people assume that certain conditions/diseases are covered by the ADA, there are no "conditions that meet ADA standards."
My DD has cerebral palsy and she has a handicapped parking permit because her physical needs (which are caused by her cerebral palsy) require accomidation. The ADA is all about needs that require accomidation. Some people with any diagnosis you can name might have needs that require accomidation; someone else with the same diagnosis might not have any needs that require accomidation, so they would not be covered by the ADA.

I am sick and tired of finding all the accessible spots filled by people breaking the law. It happens all the time, everywhere I go. I was at the mall the other day and some idiot parked on the loading lines between accessible spots. I had to back out of the spot to load my son into the car.

I started to scribble a nasty note on the back of receipt when I saw parking lot security driving by. I flagged him down and asked him to do something.

He shrugged his shoulders and said the only thing he can do was call the police... but even then the police are hesitant to do anything because it is private property.

It got me thinking..... who is actually enforcing these "stiff" penalties? The answer was clear! NO ONE!

I wrote a letter to all of my city commissioners, the city manager, the city chief of police and the mayor. I asked all of them to do something about this problem.

I asked them to start a "Volunteer Handicap Parking Enforcement Program". Basically, citizen volunteers would be issued a ticket book and write out tickets to people who are in violation of the law. Of course, volunteers would have to attend a training program and be in good standing with the law.

Lots of cities around the country do this sort of thing. I did some research and found it can be very profitable for a city or county. In one Texas county 1000 tickets were written in one calendar year. At $250 for each fine the city stood to gain $250,000 in one year! I personally think this money should go towards bettering city programs for people with disabilities.

Last week I got a phone call from a city commissioner who is eager to help me get this program underway. And today, the Mayors office called. He is talking to the chief of police to find out what we can do.

If anyone is interested, I can post the letter I wrote on this forum. You're welcome to use it as a template in your own battle.

The thing is, we can sit in this forum and complain..... or we can get up and take action. It only takes one person to make big changes! :cheer2:

MightyMom said:
I wrote a letter to all of my city commissioners, the city manager, the city chief of police and the mayor. I asked all of them to do something about this problem.

I asked them to start a "Volunteer Handicap Parking Enforcement Program". Last week I got a phone call from a city commissioner who is eager to help me get this program underway. And today, the Mayors office called. He is talking to the chief of police to find out what we can do...................

If anyone is interested, I can post the letter I wrote on this forum. You're welcome to use it as a template in your own battle.

The thing is, we can sit in this forum and complain..... or we can get up and take action. It only takes one person to make big changes! :cheer2:
:thumbsup2

The only problem with doing it just by your city would be that when you go to the mall a couple of cities over that you wouldn't be able to do anything. What it needs to be is a state wide ticket writing thing. that way you could write it anytime anywhere.

pugdog said:
The only problem with doing it just by your city would be that when you go to the mall a couple of cities over that you wouldn't be able to do anything. What it needs to be is a state wide ticket writing thing. that way you could write it anytime anywhere.

Petitioning the city has been hard enough! I'm not sure how I would do at a state level. But it's a great idea. Perhaps I should contact the county sheriff's office..... hmmmmm.... you gave me something to think about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter