Disabled Parking - Cheaters?

sames1

Mouseketeer
I've noticed at times people with a disabled parking permit using them to park right up front at Disney Parking lots, as they should. Sometimes though I suspect people are using them to park closer but they don't really need to. Case in point: I knew someone locally that had a permit for their car because their elderly mother needed it. Trouble is, they parked in disabled parking everywhere, mother in the car or not. They took full advantage of the permit.

That kind of makes me mad because other people need that space for real. It's just as bad or worse than a non permit holders parking there. At least with non permit holders they take a risk of getting ticketed.

pirate:

ITA. There are fewer HP parking spaces at my apartment building than there are tenants with HP placards. I know that at least two of them actually belong to the respective tenants' parents - neither of whom live in the complex (and the rental office claims they can't do anything about it :rolleyes: - not even increase the number of spaces, but I digress)
Anyway, two big misconceptions about HP plates/placards, at least here: first, the purpose is NOT to make things more convenient for the plate/placard holder, although that is usually how the spaces are positioned, but rather to get the disabled person out of the flow of traffic as quickly as possible; and second, the plate/placard is for use only when the disabled person is getting out of the vehicle. I mean, it's not for when I drive my sister someplace and wait for her while she shops - if I'm staying in the car, I need to park in a regular spot.

Please bear in mind that some people have "hidden" disabilities. That is, they appear normal, but due to "invisible" factors (like a recent surgery, health condition, etc.) may be unable to walk more than a certain distances, etc.

shellbelle1971 said:
Please bear in mind that some people have "hidden" disabilities. That is, they appear normal, but due to "invisible" factors (like a recent surgery, health condition, etc.) may be unable to walk more than a certain distances, etc.

Yes.. that's true. Those that would take advantage are aware of that too. It's just too hard to tell. I don't use a permit or wheelchair, and I look totally healthy, but sometimes I can hardly stand up because of back pain. Usually I try to ignore it or sit down for a while.

Hey.. I'm in Utah too, where are you located?

I have had a couple of times (once at Disney) when I parked in an HP space and as I was getting out of my car I was asked by a police officer (or Orange County Deputy Sheriff at WDW) to see my placard and my ID. Both times it was a very polite transaction, especially when my ID and placard matched.

In one discussion I was told (after asking) that if it had not matched I would have gotten a very expensive ticket and the placard would have been confiscated. Also, the owner of the placard would have had a difficult time getting a replacement unless it had been reported as missing, in which case I might have been in even more trouble.

In Florida the placard has two stickers (one on each side) which have the expiration month and year (in large type), and the preprinter serial number of the placard and the person's driver;s licence (or State ID) number. When I was in Virginia it had my name and birth date on one side, and I was permitted to use something (such as a piece of paper of the information) to keep it from general public view.

Shepherd Book in the TV series Firefly had a line that comforts me in those times I see people abuse handicapped parking spaces.

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater." — Shepherd Book

I just add the abusers to the list of people who will reside in that special level of hell.

Cheshire Figment said:
I have had a couple of times (once at Disney) when I parked in an HP space and as I was getting out of my car I was asked by a police officer (or Orange County Deputy Sheriff at WDW) to see my placard and my ID. Both times it was a very polite transaction, especially when my ID and placard matched.

In one discussion I was told (after asking) that if it had not matched I would have gotten a very expensive ticket and the placard would have been confiscated. Also, the owner of the placard would have had a difficult time getting a replacement unless it had been reported as missing, in which case I might have been in even more trouble.

In Florida the placard has two stickers (one on each side) which have the expiration month and year (in large type), and the preprinter serial number of the placard and the person's driver;s licence (or State ID) number. When I was in Virginia it had my name and birth date on one side, and I was permitted to use something (such as a piece of paper of the information) to keep it from general public view.

That's really odd, in Alabama, there is no identifying information on the hang tags at all. The expiration year is permanently printed on the placard and the expiration month is punched. It does have a serial number on it, so I guess they could cross-reference it on a computer check, but I've never heard of it being done. Currently most permanent disable hang cards in Alabama expire in 2007. Hubby has a permanent tag on his car and he got a hang tag for my truck for when he is in the truck.

I always assume the person who parked in a handicapped spot did so appropriately. I can't afford to take on any anger - especially if it's possibly misplaced!

I may be a perfect example of people you see parking in a HC spot - here's an example..

We arrive at OKW and park in the HC spot, and unload DS and his wheelchair and our luggage etc. and go into our room. Then I leave for the grocery store. I walk to the van (no one with me) and climb in and drive away. At the store I park in a normal spot. Coming back to OKW I return to the HC spot because the next time we leave, we will have DS with us and will need space to have the doors open etc.

Should I be criticized? I think not.

It is me, or does there seem to be an adnormal about of Cadillacs with HC stickers? Perhaps people with disabilities prefer Cadillacs more or my reticular activator is kicking in. I don't know.

clkelley said:
That's really odd, in Alabama, there is no identifying information on the hang tags at all. The expiration year is permanently printed on the placard and the expiration month is punched. It does have a serial number on it, so I guess they could cross-reference it on a computer check, but I've never heard of it being done. Currently most permanent disable hang cards in Alabama expire in 2007. Hubby has a permanent tag on his car and he got a hang tag for my truck for when he is in the truck.

There should be a little credit card size ID permit you carry in your wallet. It has the name, the expiration, the number of placards and the serial numbers (from the tags) on it. Probably your husband carries it with him as usually you only get one ID card for all vehicles :moped: .

They do check occassionly where I live for matching ID and tags.

Linda

kaytieeldr said:
ITA.
Anyway, two big misconceptions about HP plates/placards, at least here: first, the purpose is NOT to make things more convenient for the plate/placard holder, although that is usually how the spaces are positioned, but rather to get the disabled person out of the flow of traffic as quickly as possible; and second, the plate/placard is for use only when the disabled person is getting out of the vehicle.

Or getting back in, right? ;)

I thought HP spots were also designed to be bigger than regular parking slots, so that sideloading lifts could unload as well?

sames1 said:
It is me, or does there seem to be an adnormal about of Cadillacs with HC stickers? Perhaps people with disabilities prefer Cadillacs more or my reticular activator is kicking in. I don't know.

People with disabilities oftentimes prefer larger cars, such as Cadillacs, to accomodate their various needs. Cars of this style have larger trunks and back seats to store wheelchairs, walkers, etc. I do not use a wheelchair, however, I need a larger-than midsize car (we have a van and a Buick LeSabre). I find I need a vehicle that's not too low to the ground and with a wider door opening to manuever in and out of. For our next car purchase we're considering a Lincoln Towncar, which is a larger car. However, a Cadillac might be something to consider as well.

People who "cheat" using others disabled parking permits are a real sore point with me, but sometimes life hands them a little of their rotteness back.

When my mother died, a "friend" of her's asked me if she could have my mother's disabled permit! She was perfectly healthy! I wanted to tell her off but didn't need the stress at the time, so I just told her I couldn't find it. Now she's disabled and in a nursing home. Recently she lamented to me about how hard it was to go anywhere for lack of appropriate parking. She was especially disappointed when her family attempted to take her to a special Christmas show and they had to leave without seeing the show because they couldn't find anywhere to park. Wonder why all those handicapped places were occupied?

Several years ago my fil had a stroke which left him in a wheelchair. My mil, who was perfectly healthy at the time, had no reservations about using it for her convenience, when he wasn't even with her. Well, last year mil had a stroke and now she has a handicapped permit of her very own! I felt like saying that now she never needs to worry about parking again, she will always have her very own permit! Of course, that doesn't help if the handicapped places are full when she gets there..............

Life has a way of getting back at people. Time wounds all heals!

SueOKW said:
I always assume the person who parked in a handicapped spot did so appropriately. I can't afford to take on any anger - especially if it's possibly misplaced!

I may be a perfect example of people you see parking in a HC spot - here's an example..

We arrive at OKW and park in the HC spot, and unload DS and his wheelchair and our luggage etc. and go into our room. Then I leave for the grocery store. I walk to the van (no one with me) and climb in and drive away. At the store I park in a normal spot. Coming back to OKW I return to the HC spot because the next time we leave, we will have DS with us and will need space to have the doors open etc.

Should I be criticized? I think not.

Here's another example of misjudging the situation. On a recent trip to Disney we parked in a handicapped place in the Contemporary lot while we had dinner at Chef Mickey's. My dh went back to the car to get his camera. Some poeple parked next to him made several rude comments about people using handicapped permits inappropriately, etc. He just ignored them and went about his business. However, what if a security or police officer had approached him and his ID didn't match the permit? My permit has my driver's license on it. Am I expected to always be in the vehicle in order to utilize the parking space? I really don't know how such a situaiton would be handled, however, I do wish someone would challenge my sil who uses her grandmother's permit, although her grandmother has been dead several years and sil is perfectly healthy.

vhoffman said:
however, I do wish someone would challenge my sil who uses her grandmother's permit, although her grandmother has been dead several years and sil is perfectly healthy.

Well then turn her in to the division in her state that issues the passes. In my state it’s the department of motor vehicles.

About a year and a half ago, the firm I work for hired a new courier (19 year old girl). I went with her on her first few errands to teach her where to go. We were having trouble finding a parking spot at one of our stops, so she reached under the seat of her car and pulled out a disabled parking permit and said "We can use this!" I was shocked! This girl is a gymnast who was bragging about running 2 miles a day. I told her that I'm married to a disabled man who NEEDs one of those spots and if she was going to park in it she would have to run over my dead body. :p

Biscuitsmom31 said:
About a year and a half ago, the firm I work for hired a new courier (19 year old girl). I went with her on her first few errands to teacher where to go. When we were having trouble finding a parking spot at one of our stops, she reaches under the seat of her car and pulls out a disabled parking permit and says "We can use this!" I was shocked! This girl is a gymnast who was bragging about running 2 miles a day. I told her that I'm married to a disabled man who NEEDs one of those spots and if she was going to park in it she would have to run over my dead body. :p
Misread this the first time. ETA: Good for you!

I had a lady make a comment to me a while back at the grocery store about not looking disabled. Well I'm not but my ds in the back is :wave2:

The problem I have been running into lately is at ds's school. It has a small parking lot and only has 3 handicapped spaces and they are always full of cars with NO handicapped tags. I spoke to the principal about this one day and she told me that it was a problem and I needed to call the police on them. Isn't this her school? We were running late for a Dr's appt so I just wrote a note and put on the cars that said they were parking illegally and the police have been notified. Hopefully it scared them a little.

Linda Bell said:
There should be a little credit card size ID permit you carry in your wallet. It has the name, the expiration, the number of placards and the serial numbers (from the tags) on it. Probably your husband carries it with him as usually you only get one ID card for all vehicles :moped: .

They do check occassionly where I live for matching ID and tags.

Linda

Nope, nothing like that, at least not here in Alabama.

sames1 said:

Many years ago, I recall going to Medievel Nights in Orlando and all three 'disabled' spaces right out front in the parking lot were taken by a single stretch limo with a handicap placard. Apparently parked up legally, but I would have assumed the driver should of moved it after dropping off his passenger!

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter