Dis Exclusive Viva Italia 9/16 - 9/24/2014

Trying widle down which technology bag to take...

1526266_10201253603278259_356508678_n.jpg

Anyone booked their airfare yet? I've been playing around with it and think I might go ahead and do it just to lock it in. Then the trip will feel more real!

Laurie

My travel planner (the Amazing Christy) has been perusing airfares. I know she has been giving travel advise for folks at her office that are getting ready to go to Italy in the next few weeks/months.

I have yet another Vatican question for those of you who've been on the trip before. It looks like we are on our own after lunch. Did they give you tickets so you can go back into the Vatican Museum after lunch if you want to spend more time there?

Laurie

I have yet another Vatican question for those of you who've been on the trip before. It looks like we are on our own after lunch. Did they give you tickets so you can go back into the Vatican Museum after lunch if you want to spend more time there?

Laurie

Laurie, the Pope rather threw our schedule out of whack so our "free" afternoon was spent walking around St. Peter's.

The museum website does say: "The Admission Ticket permits the tourist to visit the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel and is valid for the day of issue." http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orari.html I can't say whether this applies to group admissions.

While a lifetime isn't enough to experience the Vatican museum (nor are there enough memory cards), I felt we were allocated a pretty good amount of time in it. I do remember wishing we had been not rushed through one of the nicer gift shops in the museum itself. Our guide(s) were urging us not to stop at all. The gift shop we were shepherded to wasn't in the museum itself but was adjacent to St. Peter's square.

It had several nice items but it wasn't to my taste. It was a mixture of low and high end items, including items approved by JPII. I was hoping for more books on the art history, DVDs, and I recalled seeing a better selection of them in the gift shop. Now, of course, I could get DVDs and books like this by mail order. My point is that just because you are being told to rush through a gift shop, museum etc., you don't really have to do so.

Thanks Jack! I went back and read your trip report again. It is so helpful! And I appreciate the advice about shopping. I definitely want to pick up a few religious items while we're there.

Laurie

I've been enjoying the "Strip the City" series on the Science Channel. Infrastructure rocks.

This week, Venice gets Stripped. http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/strip-the-city/tv-schedule.htm

Thought you should know.

PBS Nova Tonight 9 pm eastern has a special on how Brunelleschi built the dome for the great cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/great-cathedral-mystery.html

Once you've been to Florence, it never really leaves you.

Awesome, two shows to watch tonight now! :thumbsup2

Thanks Jack! I went back and read your trip report again. It is so helpful! And I appreciate the advice about shopping. I definitely want to pick up a few religious items while we're there.

Laurie

Laurie,

Completely by accident (and not as the result of any decent filing system) I found our tickets to the Vatican Museum from the May 2012 ABD . The fine print seems to says it is good for only one entry and once validated it will not allow for re-entry. :scratching This was about two years ago so maybe the policy has changed but I wanted to mention it so you can plan accordingly.

Now, what is interesting to me is that the fine print in Italian says it is "not reusable after obliteration." :eek:

I've been enjoying the "Strip the City" series on the Science Channel. Infrastructure rocks.

This week, Venice gets Stripped. http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/strip-the-city/tv-schedule.htm

Thought you should know.

This is a very cool show and we loved the Venice one ...however I'm not so cool with that flooding part .. and they never did mention when that flooding actually happened . I think it happened again a couple of months after we were there... :confused3

This is a very cool show and we loved the Venice one ...however I'm not so cool with that flooding part .. and they never did mention when that flooding actually happened . I think it happened again a couple of months after we were there... :confused3

I believe they mentioned flooding season was between Oct - Jan. Not 100% on that, I just remember it was not during the time that we would be there. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter