Dis Exclusive Viva Italia 9/16 - 9/24/2014

Oops! So sorry Dustin! Our flights are generally about $200 more than our northern friends. For what it's worth, we fly United. However, we are seriously considering Delta for Italy. Flights and times seem to be better for us for some reason.

No problem. :)

Are you able to get a direct flight from Houston or make a connection somewhere? Delta is looking like they have the best flight times for us as well.

No, we would have to stop in Atlanta going and coming home on Delta or Newark/Frankfurt on United. The other thing to consider is what time you will be leaving Venice. There are a lot of flights in the wee hours of the morning, those don't work for me.

hi Folks,

I have been told that we might see a drop in airfares after the holidays.

I have no idea if this is correct or not, but I'm hoping.

Pre and post nights are limited to one each, based on availability.

I am laid up for a couple of days and have been spending my time reading up on Italy and getting even more excited about this trip!!! The main problem is going to be narrowing down everything I'd like to see. I've learned not to pack in too much, because the best moments on these trips are not "stuff" anyway, but wow! so many amazing sites, and I haven't even gotten to look at the information on Venice.

Anyone who's been before, was there anything not on the ABD itinerary that you saw on your own and thought was can't miss?

Laurie

:wave2: Buongiorno

If you have time - I would suggest these for Rome

- Take the Metro to the Colosseum at night. Seeing it lit up is beautiful. It's a memory that will last forever.

- If you're into "Angels & Demons" - go see the Santa Maria Della Vittoria church to see Bernini's "Ectasy of St. Teresa" - one of the most beautiful sculptures I've ever seen.

- Not for the sqeamish - The Capuchin Crypt. The entire crypt's "artwork" is made from the skulls & bones of Capucine Monks :scared:

When in Venice -

- Get a Vaporetto pass - take the #1 line ( if memory serves :scratchin ) and take the ride around the entire island and thru the Grand Canal. Do it twice - during the day & especially at night
Take the Vaporetto as often as you want with a pass.

Get LOST - it's magical

Go to the out islands: On Burano - have lunch at Gato Negro - they make a risotto that is to die for. Buy some handmade lace - pricey
On Murano - visit the glass makers. They are among the best glass makers in the world.

Go to the top of the Campanile in San Marco Square - they have an elevator :thumbsup2
The 360 degree views of the City are amazing

Climb the stairs to the top of the clock tower in the square

Take a tour at the Doge's Palace and cross over the Bridge of Sighs

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc I could go on and on and on - these are just the things that just popped into my mind first :goodvibes

Ciao

Sounds amazing! Thanks for all of the great ideas!

How did I not know that Murano glass is from Venice? I am absolutely planning to just soak it all in there.

Laurie

Great tips! Seeing the Colosseum lit up at night sounds like a must do for me!

:wave2: Buongiorno

If you have time - I would suggest these for Rome

- Not for the sqeamish - The Capuchin Crypt. The entire crypt's "artwork" is made from the skulls & bones of Capucine Monks :scared:

Ciao

This sounds awesome! Not something you could ever expect to find around here to see. Hopefully we will have enough time to check this one out while we are there.

Thanks for the great recommendations. :thumbsup2

I am laid up for a couple of days and have been spending my time reading up on Italy and getting even more excited about this trip!!! The main problem is going to be narrowing down everything I'd like to see. I've learned not to pack in too much, because the best moments on these trips are not "stuff" anyway, but wow! so many amazing sites, and I haven't even gotten to look at the information on Venice.

Anyone who's been before, was there anything not on the ABD itinerary that you saw on your own and thought was can't miss?

Laurie

Laurie,

The Capuchin Crypt is definitely interesting. My daughter and I took the Crypts & Bones & Catacombs tour with Walks of Italy. They are an excellent tour operator.

Our favorite side trip was a combination day tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. We booked this through Viator http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Po...t-Small-Group-Day-Trip-from-Rome/d511-2635POM. I think Walks of Italy does this tour now so I would go with them. You can also take a train to Pompeii on your own. Have fun planning! :)

Kathy

Our favorite side trip was a combination day tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi coast.

Kathy - I would not have thought of leaving Rome and seeing Pompeii. Something else to add to the list! Brian was alarmed when he saw my list of churches I want to visit.

I've been reading through the thread from the 2012 DIS Viva Italia trip and starting around p.46 of the thread, Jack has live updates of their trip with wonderful pics of Rome, Orvieto, and Florence. It looks like they spent alot of time in the Vatican Museum and St Peter's so maybe I will not book a more detailed tour there.

Laurie

Kathy - I would not have thought of leaving Rome and seeing Pompeii. Something else to add to the list! Brian was alarmed when he saw my list of churches I want to visit.

I've been reading through the thread from the 2012 DIS Viva Italia trip and starting around p.46 of the thread, Jack has live updates of their trip with wonderful pics of Rome, Orvieto, and Florence. It looks like they spent alot of time in the Vatican Museum and St Peter's so maybe I will not book a more detailed tour there.

Laurie

We spent a lot of time at St Peter's because the Pope decided to hold an event in St. Peter's square. ;) From what I understand, the tour normally gets to the Basilica early to avoid waiting in the long entry line. Personally, I wouldn't book a separate tour of the Basilica. There are just too many other things to see. I could spend a month or more touring the Vatican Museum if I could only find a bed and food but again, there are so many things to see in Rome.

Marilee's list is killing me.

Just back from "Italy" and bought one of these beauties.

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/IMG_4076-600x450.jpg

Since I am in the throes of post-Disney depression, I am starting to think about our ABD. The Borghese Gallery is closed on Mondays, but it's definitely someplace I'd like to see in Rome. Brian and I are thinking about going on Tuesday before our adventure starts. If anyone else is interested, maybe we can get a group together.

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter