Dis Exclusive Viva Italia 9/16 - 9/24/2014

Please help me welcome Rosemary and Jean to our Italian Extravaganza.

We must have made a good impression in Germany.:thumbsup2

Welcome!

:yay::banana::yay::banana::yay::banana::yay:

Fun to see this trip filling up! I look forward to meeting everyone, it sounds like it will be a fun group. :)

DW and I have a question for those in the group.

I want to add a couple extra days on the end of the trip and stop in Paris to see Disneyland Paris and I'm sure there is other stuff to do in Paris as well. :lmao: DW is hesitant to add extra days to an already long trip away from DS. For those who travel without their kids what are your thoughts? While this is a once in a life time trip for us it is a long time to be away from our son. He will be 3 about to turn 4 if age makes a difference in your opinion on this.

When we went to London and Paris two years ago, we left DS 7-going-8 back at the ranch. He would have missed too much school. We also did the same for the Germany trip last month. We tacked on extra days onto the Paris trip. We know that when he is a just a little bit older, school activities, school work, and extra activities will require us to be at home supporting him. Italy is probably our last "hurrah" for during the school year for extended trips.

We also take "Flat Ian" with us and send him pictures every day of his "flat twin's" adventures so that he feels like he has a part in our trips. We also take him on an ABD trip or a week to WDW or DL too. (He went to Space Camp at KSC this year).

297237_1973094123153_1454317109_n.jpg

301969_1973092923123_1010005827_n.jpg

1238313_10200562857250040_1046258708_n.jpg

303761_1974597360733_2091864763_n.jpg

Does anybody else smell the baby powder just by looking...

DW is hesitant to add extra days to an already long trip away from DS. For those who travel without their kids what are your thoughts?

We added 2 days onto the Germany trip in September to see a bit of Austria. We had an amazing time, but we both commented that we would not add days on the end of a trip to travel somewhere else again. The trip is so full of activity that adding another big city could be hard. We barely scratched the surface in Vienna, and you don't want to rush through Paris. If you are used to long trips, it may be different for you. You also get very spoiled on an ABD having the guides handle luggage and all of the logistics.

Our kids are older, and being gone that long was too much in terms of missing schoolwork, activities etc, even though my mom is a retired teacher. I think the extra days were a bit much for my parents too. It may depend on how close your little one is to the person you have caring for him while you're gone. We did have a binder for my parents and I printed off pictures of what we'd be doing each day for the kids so that one page had the kids' schedule that day, and the facing page had our schedule. My parents said that our 7 year old really enjoyed that.

I can relate to the thought that "hey, we're in Europe - we should see as much as we can" but saving it just gives you an excuse for the next trip, right?

Laurie

We added 2 days onto the Germany trip in September to see a bit of Austria. We had an amazing time, but we both commented that we would not add days on the end of a trip to travel somewhere else again. The trip is so full of activity that adding another big city could be hard. We barely scratched the surface in Vienna, and you don't want to rush through Paris. If you are used to long trips, it may be different for you. You also get very spoiled on an ABD having the guides handle luggage and all of the logistics.

Our kids are older, and being gone that long was too much in terms of missing schoolwork, activities etc, even though my mom is a retired teacher. I think the extra days were a bit much for my parents too. It may depend on how close your little one is to the person you have caring for him while you're gone. We did have a binder for my parents and I printed off pictures of what we'd be doing each day for the kids so that one page had the kids' schedule that day, and the facing page had our schedule. My parents said that our 7 year old really enjoyed that.

I can relate to the thought that "hey, we're in Europe - we should see as much as we can" but saving it just gives you an excuse for the next trip, right?

Laurie

While I don't have kids, I do have a home and family and our dogs.

And I can understand what you are saying

When booking our last Knights and Lights trip, we decided to return to Paris for a few days. Half way through the trip, we decided to cancel this and change our airfare. It just seemed like the right thing to do

I think it's easier to add days at the beginning because the anticipation level is high. it also gives you a chance to acclimate to the new time at your own pace.

ABD trips are busy, active and fun and after that Farewell Dinner....there is a certain closure.

It's hard to continue on when you have to now be responsible for EVERYTHING.

I know it sounds corny....but we always miss our group.

Having breakfast that next morning all by ourselves always seems weird.

Haven't checked the thread for several days so only getting around to welcoming Rosemary and Jean. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Yes - Brian kept trying to bond with the people on our Sound of Music tour and make dinner plans with them. I think they thought he was a little crazy.

Laurie

Tell Brian that WE understand .:thumbsup2 That is why we all travel together:dance3:

Please help me welcome Rosemary and Jean to our Italian Extravaganza.

We must have made a good impression in Germany.:thumbsup2

Welcome!

:yay::banana::yay::banana::yay::banana::yay:

I have it from a good source that YOU made a VERY GOOD impression on them along with all of the other adventurers ... I think that they "Get it " too.:woohoo:

When will we know about Pre and Post nights ? With the actual trip starting on a Tuesday ( I think ), many of us are looking to start the party early !:cheer2:

Plus John has been looking at airfare and can't lock in a date yet and I think that is making him :crazy2:... Just saying !!:cool1:

When will we know about Pre and Post nights ? With the actual trip starting on a Tuesday ( I think ), many of us are looking to start the party early !:cheer2:

Plus John has been looking at airfare and can't lock in a date yet and I think that is making him :crazy2:... Just saying !!:cool1:

I've started looking at airfare too. I'm leaning towards Delta from JFK-Rome/Venice-JFK, these are the flights that I took in 2012 and was very happy. Right now the prices seem a bit high, I am waiting to see if the fares come down to around what I paid in 2012. I wish United (or one of their code share partners) offered a non-stop from Venice-Newark.

Jason

We are anxious too to see about pre-days Can't wait to go back :cool1:

We took Delta/Alitalia in 2012 BOS to Rome then Venice to JFK to BOS

What's considered a reasonable price for airfare for this trip? I know a lot depends on where you will be flying from but just looking for a ballpark to be in. We've started looking as well and I'm not sure if what we are seeing are decent prices right now.

What's considered a reasonable price for airfare for this trip? I know a lot depends on where you will be flying from but just looking for a ballpark to be in. We've started looking as well and I'm not sure if what we are seeing are decent prices right now.

I found my old receipt We paid $859

Passenger
Ticket Price
Total Value of
Certificates Selected

Certificate
Amount Used

Balance Due
for Ticket

Ms. Karen
$859.20 (USD)
-$389.80 (USD)
$469.40 (USD)
Mrs. Kaye
$859.20 (USD)
-$389.80 (USD)
$469.40 (USD)

I found my old receipt We paid $859

Passenger
Ticket Price
Total Value of
Certificates Selected

Certificate
Amount Used

Balance Due
for Ticket

Ms. Karen
$859.20 (USD)
-$389.80 (USD)
$469.40 (USD)
Mrs. Kaye
$859.20 (USD)
-$389.80 (USD)
$469.40 (USD)

Thank you! That really helps, and lets me know prices are a little too high right now. :lmao:

When we did this in May of 2012, airfare went on sale in early November 2011. The cost was below $1000 roundtrip but flying out a day early saved a good bit of money (enough to pay for the extra night) so play with the dates.

Also, for some reason, flying out of Venice was pretty expensive for us. We flew into Rome but then flew out of Geneva a few days after leaving Venice. Switzerland was spectacular.

Kristy, what airport are you looking at flying out of? We live in Houston and fly out of IAH. While we didn't do the first Italy adventure, we have done London/Paris and Germany. For Houston and other southern airports, airfare typically tends to be a little higher than BOS, JFK, etc.

Kristy, what airport are you looking at flying out of? We live in Houston and fly out of IAH. While we didn't do the first Italy adventure, we have done London/Paris and Germany. For Houston and other southern airports, airfare typically tends to be a little higher than BOS, JFK, etc.

This is Dustin, you must have gotten my screen name mixed up with my wife's.;) We always fly out of New Orleans. I was figuring we would have to pay a little more for our flight than a direct JFK flight. Just looking for an idea on prices so I would know if something was completely outrageous or not. Didn't want my excitement in looking at flights to book getting the best of me when making decisions for this trip. :rotfl::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter