• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2019

Wow, I didn't know about this. I'll see when I go.

That's great! Can't beat 0% not to mention getting a lot of UR points!

I love UR points. Our trip to Aruba is only $1139 + pts instead of $2550. We only had to pay the taxes on the flights.
It's an all-inclusive including alcohol and gratuities so I can't see us spending a lot more besides airport taxis. Maybe some extra tips if we feel like it. We're not big souvenir people; just happy to be there.

Umm... pay off debt?
;)
Lol! Of course, of course.

I just don't know if I want to use ALL of it to pay off credit cards or if I want to put some toward my emergency fun or student loans. I'm projected to be credit card debt free in October. The only other debt I have is student loan debt. Not sure if it's worth putting it all toward CCs.

Thank you to everyone who expressed condolences for my 19 year old cousin who passed away. :grouphug:

Unfortunately more tragedy struck this morning. My 44 year old cousin was driving a highway around 5am this morning and was in a multi-car accident. She died instantly. It was icy here in Maryland overnight last night so they think she probably slid and lost control of the vehicle. She is leaving behind 3 daughters, age 21, 12 and 11. It still doesn't feel real that we lost Joshua (the 19 year old), and now we are trying to process losing Kristy too.

In a debt dumping note, I didn't feel like eating dinner tonight with all the stress and sadness lately, so my DH convinced me we should go out to a semi-expensive restaurant we love to help get my mind off everything. Technically we have the money for it, just means less toward debt this month. It did help some though with distracting me, so I'm saying it was worth it. And while they are semi-expensive, the portions are huge so we brought home enough leftovers for at least 1 more meal each, if not more.

I love UR points. Our trip to Aruba is only $1139 + pts instead of $2550. We only had to pay the taxes on the flights.
It's an all-inclusive including alcohol and gratuities so I can't see us spending a lot more besides airport taxis. Maybe some extra tips if we feel like it. We're not big souvenir people; just happy to be there.

We will be paying for our March 2020 cruise plus airfare in full using UR points. Our only out of pocket expenses for that trip should be excursions.

What are UR points? I'd love to do something that assisted with my travel costs.

I'm going to start my income taxes today. I am scared. I usually pay about $3000 a year (I used to claim 1 and now claim 0) and I put 16% of my pay in retirement and I still pay... now I'm afraid that what I owe will be even more and I'll have to take money out of my savings which is the exact opposite of my goals this year. It's making my stomach hurt.

I did some reading about debt snowballs and will have my first cc paid off this month by using them. I made a change though, instead of paying the minimal payment on the other cards, I'm paying the amount that would have me paid in full in 3 years. I will be done before then but it's nice to know that if everything got messed up I'm still completely free in 3 years instead of 20.

Thank you to everyone who expressed condolences for my 19 year old cousin who passed away. :grouphug:

Unfortunately more tragedy struck this morning. My 44 year old cousin was driving a highway around 5am this morning and was in a multi-car accident. She died instantly. It was icy here in Maryland overnight last night so they think she probably slid and lost control of the vehicle. She is leaving behind 3 daughters, age 21, 12 and 11. It still doesn't feel real that we lost Joshua (the 19 year old), and now we are trying to process losing Kristy too.

In a debt dumping note, I didn't feel like eating dinner tonight with all the stress and sadness lately, so my DH convinced me we should go out to a semi-expensive restaurant we love to help get my mind off everything. Technically we have the money for it, just means less toward debt this month. It did help some though with distracting me, so I'm saying it was worth it. And while they are semi-expensive, the portions are huge so we brought home enough leftovers for at least 1 more meal each, if not more.
I'm sorry about your losses in your family. As a mom of kids close to those ages, I can't imagine how devastating it is to her girls.

What are UR points? I'd love to do something that assisted with my travel costs.

I'm going to start my income taxes today. I am scared. I usually pay about $3000 a year (I used to claim 1 and now claim 0) and I put 16% of my pay in retirement and I still pay... now I'm afraid that what I owe will be even more and I'll have to take money out of my savings which is the exact opposite of my goals this year. It's making my stomach hurt.

I did some reading about debt snowballs and will have my first cc paid off this month by using them. I made a change though, instead of paying the minimal payment on the other cards, I'm paying the amount that would have me paid in full in 3 years. I will be done before then but it's nice to know that if everything got messed up I'm still completely free in 3 years instead of 20.
UR points are Chase credit card reward points. There are multiple ways to use the points, including transfer of points to certain airlines. Yes, paying those cards in 3 is the way to go, I wouldn't want balances hanging around 20 years.

My goodness. Your poor family. I am so sorry for everything you have all had to go through recently. I really hope this is the last of it and everything calms down so everyone can heal.

Our power was out for the past 4 hours. DH and I were starting to consider a backup plan. We agreed that if it didn't return by 4pm then I would book us a hotel room at the Marriott not far from our house. We just wouldn't feel save staying at home without heat all night because of DD and our bird. Glad we don't have to incur that expense, but it is nice to know that such things could be covered without a problem by using our emergency fund.

The car that got towed today for a flat needed a new tire (expected) and front and rear brakes done, which I was totally not expecting. Plus I said while you're at it, change the oil. I just need to laugh at this point....

Our power was out for the past 4 hours. DH and I were starting to consider a backup plan. We agreed that if it didn't return by 4pm then I would book us a hotel room at the Marriott not far from our house. We just wouldn't feel save staying at home without heat all night because of DD and our bird. Glad we don't have to incur that expense, but it is nice to know that such things could be covered without a problem by using our emergency fund.
Glad it came back on. Did you lose food?

I never opened the fridge, so I don't think the temp in the fridge or freezer would have climbed high enough in four hours to loose anything. It still seemed cold when the power came back on.

Do you have a probe thermometer for food? Should probably check the temp of your milk, at least. It needs to stay below 40 at all times or it should be tossed. 4 hours, even in a closed fridge, would likely push the temp up beyond 40.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter