Daisy Leaders Unite! Girl Scouts USA!

Any tips on how to handle a co-leader you cannot stand?? I dread going to our meetings and other functions because she makes me want to drive blunt pencils into my ears!! She's the type who has to always be one-upping everyone and telling everyone's (my) business. I told her when I found out I was pregnant because I would be probably be missing a couple meetings since my morning sickness is afternoon/evening sickness...and she decided to announce it to everyone as they came into the meetings and at our last council meeting that I missed due to nighttime sickness. I didn't specifically tell her not to mention it, but I thought she had some common courtesy!!

Sorry to rant...I know I should be grateful that I have someone to help, but honestly it seems pointless to have her since I take care of everything.

How can I deal with her? I've tried to subtley tell her to chill on the attention competition, but that didn't seem to work. :confused3

Wow, I am so happy to have found this thread! I am a Daisy troop leader for seven first graders in Indiana. When I have more time I'm going to comb through here for your great ideas. Maybe I'll throw in a few of mine too:) .

Wow, I am so happy to have found this thread! I am a Daisy troop leader for seven first graders in Indiana. When I have more time I'm going to comb through here for your great ideas. Maybe I'll throw in a few of mine too:) .

Hi Hoosier! What part of IN are you in?

I'm trying to come up with a craft idea for the Red petal: courageous and strong. Does anyone have suggestions?? Thanks!

My DD joined a troop after they had already earned their red petal. I don't recall what the rest did, but I took DD to an indoor rock climbing gym. She reported back to the troop how much courage and strength it took to climb higher and higher each time. We also discussed troops in Iraq and what it means for others to be strong and courageous.

Is anyone's troop bridging to Brownies at the end of this school year? Any thoughts/plans/ideas you have to share? We need to start thinking about this for our troop soon (1st graders).
Would love to see if we can share ideas? Thanks! :)

Our leader had the NEATEST cupcake cake (The kind where all the cupcakes are covered to look like a whole cake but these are seperate to form the flower shape) make in the shape of the Daisy on the girls vests. I saw pictures and it was so cute!:lovestruc

I can't believe I've missed this thread! Daisy leader here, I have 8 girls, one of which will be bridging to Brownies at the end of the year.

So far we have earned:

1. Daisy Promise center

2. Spring green: we made 75 handmade christmas cards for the local (terrible) nursing home, then we sang carols and passed them out to the residents.

3. Green: the girls said on the first day they wanted to make pickles (why I don't know) so we made refrigerator pickles and used (clean, sterilized) old jelly jars to store them. Then we made necklaces out of old key and re-purposed string and beads to wear to meetings and to tie in with the story.

4. Yellow: I made each girl seven little business cards that said "A friendly and helpful daisy was here" and sent them home with them to do good deeds. Each time they did something friendly or helpful without being asked, they gave thier parents a card. If they gave away all the cards by the next meeting, they earned their patch. The parents *LOVED* this one!

5. Scouting North East Texas (council patch): this took two meetings, but the girls loved it. The first meeting we learned about Texas, the state flag, bird, tree, and song, we had a hoe-down and sang Yellow Rose of Texas, and we made Texas chili that the girls then got to take home. The second meeting we learned about the history of GS in our area, about the local service center, and about the "Gowns of the First Ladies of Texas" museum at a local university.

6. Halloween party: we all dressed up, we bobbed for apples and played games, and just generally had a good time.

7. Christmas Party: My P.A. (my co-leader's Cadette daughter, so sweet!) planned all the games, and my wonderful co-leder brought snowman cupcakes. We sang Christmas songs and had a potluck.

8. Mardi Gras Party: We made masks, learned about the Krewes of Rex, Little Rascals, and Isis, learned the history of King's cake (and then ate some), the girls yelled for beads and we threw them so they could catch them, and listened to Zydeco music (my husband's family is cajun).

9. We are currently doing the Girl Scout Birthday Week patch, we spent Monday (our meeting) learning how to say "hello" "goodbye" and Thank you" in Spanish and ASL, then learned how to say Girl Scout in ASL. I gave them each a packet to take home with their parents explaining the things they need to do on the other days, which they will bring back to the next meeting. We also planned a birthday box that we will take to the local social services center, and I will get the supplies and such for them to put together in a HUGE gift box I have at the next meeting.

10. Journey Watering Can: We planted lettuce (I a a BIG container gardener) and have been tending it all winter. We are planning to serve a salad out of it at our closing ceremony.

We have planned for the rest of the year:
1. "Scouting our Past" I have arranged for the Executive Director of the local social services agency to come and speak with our troop about when she was a girl scout. She was also a troop leader here in America and overseas, so that should be interesing. The meeting before, the girls will come up with the interview questions.

2. Rose: We will do this the week of Arbor Day and Earth Day, to tie in with the environmental hoopla they will be getting at school. We will either plant lemon tree seeds, start worm composting (I may save this for Brownies) or make fancy note paper out of old newspapers.

3. Golden Honeybee: The last "official" meeting will be spent planning the details for their closing ceremony.

4. Amazing Daisy Award: Earned at the ceremony.

My fabulous co-leader had a great idea to give out perfect attendance awards, and we decided it would be a good idea to give "individual" patches at that time, too. Our own daughters will get "My mom is a troop leader", the high seller will get a patch, the twins will get "girl scout sisters", etc. At least one for each girl, so everyone feels special.

We have sold about 700 boxes so far, with booth sales starting (for our troop) in a couple of weeks.

We will also be going troop camping in April.

Does anyone have any idea what the next Journey will be? I'm trying to plan next year, because I will have another Daisy troop then, too (my younger daughter).

We buy ours from the GS shop. A lot of the events we attend are through the service unit and a patch is usually included in the fee for the event.

I use Advantage, they have thousands of patches for anything you could want. Be sure to check out the clearance section.

I just found this thread! I am a troop leader of 12 girls in York, PA.

I am planning on making a video photo show to music to show at our end of year ceremony. i need suggestions for songs that I can use. I want to include songs about growing up, having fun, ect. I hope for it to be a tear jerker for the parents and also have some upbeat fun parts for some of our trip photos like to Dutch Wonderland.

Bumping up...

I used to subscribe to this thread...I accidently deleted it...
My troop has moved up to Brownies...Is anyone interested in starting a Brownie Leaders Unite thread? I am leaving in two days for WDW yeah!
and don't have time, but need new Brownie ideas!

Good luck to any new Daisy leaders just starting out!

Hi Minniebeth! I am glad to see that you are moving up to brownies. I have a 1st grade Daisy troop this year. We have already put the things you sent to good use! My DD keeps asking when she can wear her new long sleeve Daisy shirt. Uhh, honey it is 95 degrees out today:rotfl2:

When I had the multi-level troop last year, we worked out of the try-it quite a bit. The girls planned what patch they wanted to earn and how they wanted to accomplish it. I have to admit, this made it very easy on me. They even planned (with some help) what field trips they wanted to make and what charity they wanted to support. A lot of the time I would have to give them ideas and then they decided from there.

Have fun at WDW! Bring lots of sunscreen because it is still pretty HOT here!

We're still Daisies this year (first graders). I'd love to hear ideas everyone has for the new Journey book.

I just got asked to be the leader for the Daisy Troop that my dd will be in. So far all I have done is filled out the application and done the background check. It looks like there is about 6 girls (kindergarten).

I am really excited. I was in Girl Scouts from the time I was in 1st grade until my Senior year in High School. I loved it and got to a lot of things and travel to a lot of places because of it.

Hello, I am so glad I found this thread. I'm a new Daisy Leader, we have our first troop meeting next Friday, our parent's meeting was this past Monday. I currently have 12 girls, but a few more who would like to join. I am trying to get another co-leader so that we can add more girls. I'm really excited and have gotten a lot of ideals from this site, looking forward to more.[/FONT]

Hi everyone!! I am considering signing up to be a Daisy troop leader for 1st graders - this thread has been very helpful & has gotten me very excited! I'm glad that so many of you gave ideas & links - those are all great. I'm looking forward to more info from you all!!!

Thanks!

I just signed up to be the leader of my kindergartener. The nights the other 2 troops didn't work for my friend and I, so I signed up on my own. I'm kind of nervous but excited. I was a girl scout from second grade until my senior year of high school. I went through Program Aide 1 and 2. I haven't heard back about my background check, but I work at a police department so I'm fairly sure it will be ok lol. I'm just waiting now. I'm only nervous because I don't really know how daisies works since I was never a daisy. I have 4 girls interested including mine and I think I'll put out a note to the kindergartens in our town to try to drum up a few more girls.

I'm going to be a co-leader for my daughter's Daisy troop. Right now, we're still in the planning stages as far as getting the girls together, but we do have our troop number and all that information. Other than leader, co-leader, QSP mom/parent, and cookie mom/parent, what other parental volunteer roles within your troop do you have?

Also, how much do you charge in the way of dues (other than the ones charged to join Girl Scouts)? Are they yearly or monthly?

What are your typical meetings like?

Any words of advice? Thanks!!!!

If you do snacks during your meeting, you might want to have a snack parent. They can organize the snack schedule for you. You might also want a treasurer to keep track of the money.

We charge a meeting due of $1. We meet every other week so usually twice a month. We also charged a one time troop startup fee of $10 per girl to get us started.

A typical meeting for us:
1. Start Up (5 min) - I usually have some kind of coloring sheet that the girls can do while we are waiting for everyone to arrive.

2. Opening (10 min) - We say the pledge of allegiance, the girl scout promise, and the girl scout law.

3. Business (10 min) - We take attendance, collect dues, collect any permission forms, etc.

4. Activity (50 min) - This is the time that we do whatever activity we have planned.

5. Clean up (5 min) - We clean up the room since a girl scout leaves a place better than she found it.

6. Closing (10 min) - Friendship circle and squeeze

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter