Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you- Part 2

He had his suit drycleaned on day 1 and it was ready to go by brunch the next day. It wasn't terribly expensive either.

Yes, the dry cleaning on the ship is very convenient and not pricy at all! However, I think if you want to make sure that the suit comes back in time for brunch, you need to pay an expedite upcharge. Still worth it!

Yes, the dry cleaning on the ship is very convenient and not pricy at all! However, I think if you want to make sure that the suit comes back in time for brunch, you need to pay an expedite upcharge. Still worth it!

Love their services. We've sent stuff out just to be ironed. Hey -- you're on vacation......

Gosh, I don’t know what I could possibly contribute that hasn’t already been discussed in this thread or the retired thread. Nonetheless, Here are my “Cruise Secrets”. My apologies if they’ve already been covered someplace else.

• Pay the extra $20 for the preferred parking lot directly next to Disney Cruise Line’s terminal. This is entirely my personal opinion, but we like to be able to walk right into the terminal. It also makes departing the terminal a breeze. . . no long line of cars trying to exit the parking garage.

• I am not a helicopter mom at all, but the AquaLab and Nemo’s Reef scare the living daylights out of me! The kids are absolutely nuts in these areas and it make me a nervous wreck. The kids run around like animals and even though there is an age limit, it is not enforced by the cast members. I highly recommend you accompany your children to these areas to supervise.

• I’m a fan of the arrive early and board as soon as you can opinion, especially if you want to register kids for activities, book spa appointments, or just get acclimated with the ship. I like to have our suitcases fully unpacked prior to the muster drill that way we can enjoy our vacation as soon as the drill is finished.

Agree on the parking, although this time around (we sailed Disney Dream 12/16) we chose regular parking and it wasn't bad at all!

As for Nemo's Reef both my kids slipped and bumped their heads on the ground within a few minutes of being in there. It is really slippery, wish the floors had more grip.

One thing we loved was the new Vanellope Sweets shop on the Dream. I was shocked at how reasonably priced it was! You can purchase an item and have it delivered at dinner time. When you make the order, they will give you a card to give to your server, so that he can call the shop when you're close to dessert. We ordered the Wreck It Ralph Family Challenge, it was a HUGE amount of ice cream for only $15.

Also, someone posted about Cabanas and the quick access from the Aft elevators. We were on Deck 8 Aft this time, and the elevators doors open right by Cabanas door. Getting to breakfast was a breeze!

Sweets out at night (after the shows) was one thing I felt DCL was lacking in on our Disney Wonder cruise last August. (You'd think that desserts at lunch and dinner would be enough...but no, it's not on a cruise!) Promenade Lounge and Diversions (now Crown and Fin pub) had savory items out at night...although we did luck out one night and find something like a chocolate truffle in the pub! Walking around at night--the only 'sweet' you could get for yourself was ice cream. So our solution was to grab a plate of desserts from Cove Café in the afternoon (it switches over to savory at night--meat/cheese/olives/crudités) and put the plate in our room fridge for later!

The Aqua Duck might be closed for days at a time due to "high winds".

And I'm not talking about hurricane season or even bad weather. We cruised in mid-December, with warm, dry, calm weather, but as the Fantasy cruised on the first two sea days, it was windy on deck, and as a result the Aqua Duck was closed all that time (and those were sea days, when we were most in need of things to do). I've read from others' trip reports that our cruise was not abnormal in this regard. Our third sea day was less windy and the Aqua Duck stayed open, but for the first two sea days, it never opened at all.

So if your child is planning to ride the Aqua Duck every day, you might want to share some more realistic expectations prior to the cruise.

This happened to us on a cruise in late February. It was closed on embarkation day and stayed closed until late in the day (I believe...) on our second at sea day (third day overall). It closed intermittently after that.

I completely agree with setting realistic expectations around something that is such a central attraction!

Agree on the parking, although this time around (we sailed Disney Dream 12/16) we chose regular parking and it wasn't bad at all!

As for Nemo's Reef both my kids slipped and bumped their heads on the ground within a few minutes of being in there. It is really slippery, wish the floors had more grip.

One thing we loved was the new Vanellope Sweets shop on the Dream. I was shocked at how reasonably priced it was! You can purchase an item and have it delivered at dinner time. When you make the order, they will give you a card to give to your server, so that he can call the shop when you're close to dessert. We ordered the Wreck It Ralph Family Challenge, it was a HUGE amount of ice cream for only $15.

Also, someone posted about Cabanas and the quick access from the Aft elevators. We were on Deck 8 Aft this time, and the elevators doors open right by Cabanas door. Getting to breakfast was a breeze!

Wow! I didn't know you can have the Vanellope Sweets shop food delivered to you at dinner time. Great tip!

Here are some of my favorite "secrets".

1. I am on vacation. I am not going to spend part of it lugging, beer, wine, or water on board. I might bring a few bottles of water to get us through the first day, but I budget for buying water and drinks on board.
2. This is not Disney World. I do not need to plan every minute of every day. Other than booking a few things, like dinner at Palo, the Princess Gathering, Royal Tea, BBB, and a few excursions, I just relax and wing it.
3. Since there is so much food available, I like to try new foods in the MDR's and at Cabana's. I tried scallops for the first time on a cruise (didn't particularly care for them). If you don't like something, the servers will bring you something else. Or you can get something from the fast food places. Or order room service.
4. Explore the ship. They are beautiful. If you are on a dream class ship, play the Mid Ship Detective Agency. It's a great way to explore.
5. I recommend the drink of the day. I am not much of a drinker, but I did like them.
6. Relax and enjoy yourself.

Here are some of my favorite "secrets".

1. I am on vacation. I am not going to spend part of it lugging, beer, wine, or water on board. I might bring a few bottles of water to get us through the first day, but I budget for buying water and drinks on board.
2. This is not Disney World. I do not need to plan every minute of every day. Other than booking a few things, like dinner at Palo, the Princess Gathering, Royal Tea, BBB, and a few excursions, I just relax and wing it.
3. Since there is so much food available, I like to try new foods in the MDR's and at Cabana's. I tried scallops for the first time on a cruise (didn't particularly care for them). If you don't like something, the servers will bring you something else. Or you can get something from the fast food places. Or order room service.
4. Explore the ship. They are beautiful. If you are on a dream class ship, play the Mid Ship Detective Agency. It's a great way to explore.
5. I recommend the drink of the day. I am not much of a drinker, but I did like them.
6. Relax and enjoy yourself.
Just a comment on #1. The water onboard (from the drink station, the taps in your room) is processed the same as most bottled water (reverse osmosis and filtered). There's really no reason to bring your own water onboard. We just bring our personal, refillable water bottles and fill up onboard. No cost.

If you're planning on staying on the ship for part/all of a port day to take advantage of a quieter ship, check out the personal navigator in advance to find out pool and Aquaduck hours. Last week we planned to enjoy the pool area in the morning of our port day in Tortola and take advantage of a quieter pool and Aquaduck, but were surprised to find out that neither of these things opened until noon that day. We quickly changed and went ashore but it would have been easier if we'd checked the Personal Navigator first. Silly us thought things would be open as they were on sea days. Lesson learned by us and many others on our ship too.

Just a comment on #1. The water onboard (from the drink station, the taps in your room) is processed the same as most bottled water (reverse osmosis and filtered). There's really no reason to bring your own water onboard. We just bring our personal, refillable water bottles and fill up onboard. No cost.

There is if your someone in your party says they can taste the difference and will not drink the tap water. For that reason I bring a few bottles and buy the bottled water on the ship.

There is if your someone in your party says they can taste the difference and will not drink the tap water. For that reason I bring a few bottles and buy the bottled water on the ship.

This was me, for three years. The only way I could drink the ships water was with a load of ice. I felt so bad (literally) living off soda that I bought the flavoured water enhancers which worked great and are pocket sized!

Sorry to revisit this discussion, but I def have tummy troubles when I drink the water from the soda dispensers. I noticed it at WDW too. Microbiology of water is different everywhere you go (even when I'm out of state I have issues); I guess I'm just sensitive to it. Not looking forward to lugging /buying it on board but I will to save myself from issues during my vacay.

Sorry to revisit this discussion, but I def have tummy troubles when I drink the water from the soda dispensers. I noticed it at WDW too. Microbiology of water is different everywhere you go (even when I'm out of state I have issues); I guess I'm just sensitive to it. Not looking forward to lugging /buying it on board but I will to save myself from issues during my vacay.

What about using one of those water bottles that has the built in filter? That might be an easier way to go.

That's a really good suggestion bc I drink a LOT of water!

We love our Brita bottles and like you, my whole family drinks a lot of water. We use the ones that are squeezable, not the hard ones with a straw since those are heavier and bigger. We attach the squeezable ones to a purse or backpack or belt using a carabiner clip. No cruise yet but 3 Florida trips and never bought a disposable water bottle yet. We also use them on shorter trips around here or even when my daughter is at dance competitions for long days, she takes one of those and is good for the day for drinks.

We love our Brita bottles and like you, my whole family drinks a lot of water. We use the ones that are squeezable, not the hard ones with a straw since those are heavier and bigger. We attach the squeezable ones to a purse or backpack or belt using a carabiner clip. No cruise yet but 3 Florida trips and never bought a disposable water bottle yet. We also use them on shorter trips around here or even when my daughter is at dance competitions for long days, she takes one of those and is good for the day for drinks.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Are the soft ones easy enough to clean?

Do you take those on the plane with you? I'm wondering if there is any trouble at TSA going with the filter.

We can definitely taste a difference in the water on the ship and in WDW, and my husband refuses to drink it! We used the Brita filtered bottles at WDW and it helped (could still taste a little bit of a difference, but the filter got rid of most of the taste). We are definitely bringing them on our cruise next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter