• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you- Part 2

Sometimes you don't have a choice they send you up there when you check in at the gate into the building. We have been sent up there twice, it isn't only the people parking in the garage.
Ah, so if you park on 3, just suck it up and line up, rather than trying to skirt around the line up.

But you get to stand in line in an active parking garage with no real designated place to stand unless you're some of the first (be *very* mindful of your kids and the cars that are moving), and there is only one metal detector. I'm honestly surprised Disney hasn't put a stop to people standing in the middle of what is essentially a roadway. I've seen more than one child dart away from their parents as a car was coming. They're excited to be getting on a Disney ship and aren't aware of the dangers oftentimes. It's a huge liability concern.

I guess we get there at a good time. We have used the third floor crossover both of our cruises and there is never a line in the garage. There is usually a short line 15-20 people over on the terminal side before the metal detectors, but never in the garage. Here is a photo, our PAT was 10:45, and we arrived around 10:55. No line on the walkway or garage. Those that park below, have to cross the road, here you dont.
cruise walkway.jpg

Last edited:
Top 5 of over 100 pages would be tough. Anyway, rescuetink published a Google docs document based on the thread awhile back that has been updated (I don't know how much). It's fairly long in itself, but easier than navigating the whole thread. Here's the link (if it doesn't work, its on page 46 of the original document):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pg2mG-lswenU_d5chdnQ5VA9R34owEeevcTnQeDYrkA/edit?pli=1

Obviously there's 60+ pages of the thread after that, but quite honestly a good many of those devolved into getting pillowcases and plates signed. I'm not at all saying that isn't important, but it was way too much...

Thanks for posting the link to that!! I know I have heard a lot of things have changed and that's why I left it open for anyone to make changes to!!

I like all the Castaway time I can get! lol)

BEST QUOTE I HAVE EVER READ!! We LOVE Castaway Cay!!

You can request a table by the window in the dining rooms. We do this through our TA, but I am sure you can do it directly through DCL.
Not sure how this would work. Table numbers and assignments don't happen until around a week out from any given cruise. For example, table #27 may be by a window one cruise but, in the center of the room on another.

Not all dining rooms have windows.

Not sure how this would work. Table numbers and assignments don't happen until around a week out from any given cruise. For example, table #27 may be by a window one cruise but, in the center of the room on another.

Not all dining rooms have windows.

Not sure either, but my TA did it for us before and I have asked her to do it again this May. On the Dream, Animator's Palate did not have windows, but we did have a table by the window in both Royal Palace and Enchanted Garden.

Be careful of the birds when sitting outside. We saw a gentleman put his breakfast down, go back inside to get something and birds totally attacked his food! The man had to start all over again!

Easy solution for that, place a cloth napkin over your plate and tuck it under the plate.

One thing we loved was the new Vanellope Sweets shop on the Dream. I was shocked at how reasonably priced it was! You can purchase an item and have it delivered at dinner time.

Thanks for posting that, we did it on our last cruise in February. It was great. We aren't really a fan of the deserts in Animators so we did that. (Normally we just ask for something from one of the other restaurants but we did that this time.

Except on Castaway - at least at the Serenity Bay food area. Those birds are savvy - I have seen them untuck a napkin, toss it back, and take off with food.

Those same small brown birds are all over the Family Beach Cabana area as well...we were actually warned about them by the cabana host when arriving to watch leaving out any food even covered (we commented on the wrapped fruit being left in the fridge now).

Those same small brown birds are all over the Family Beach Cabana area as well...we were actually warned about them by the cabana host when arriving to watch leaving out any food even covered (we commented on the wrapped fruit being left in the fridge now).

Oh we saw those. We were not warned - so we gave them grapes.

At the lunch I was meaning bigger birds - not gulls, but big ones.

Sorry, have to join the chorus of cruisers that prefer to get onboard asap. I enjoy having that time between boarding and the room being ready to book mixology/wine tasting, square away kids club stuff, eat a leisurely lunch, enjoy the pool (if it's a hot day in PC), get a drink and relax.

Getting on after 1pm, everything would feel extremely rushed -- not at all the the way I want to start a vacation.
All this talk of what time to get on the ship. We cruise in 60 days and all I can think of is I WANT ON THAT SHIP NOW.. lol

Can you get the souvenir cup at all the bars? Like Bon Voyage? I love the idea of drink of the day!

Not sure if this has already been posted or if it's for all cruise lines (we had our first cruise in November so it was our only experience) but we took an Uber from Orlando to Port Canaveral and they wouldn't let the driver drop us off until he went and paid $5 to get a little slip of paper saying he could. Not only that but they didn't explain directions very well as to how to get to the booth where we could do so and we ended up driving around for another 15 minutes which raised our price for the ride.

I don't recall seeing information like this posted anywhere but maybe I missed it. Has anyone else experienced this or did we just pull a total rookie mistake?

Last edited:
Not sure if this has already been posted or if it's for all cruise lines (we had our first cruise in November so it was our only experience) but we took an Uber from Orlando to Port Canaveral and they wouldn't let the driver drop us off until he went and paid $5 to get a little slip of paper saying he could. Not only that but they didn't explain directions very well as to how to get to the booth where we could do so and we ended up driving around for another 15 minutes which raised our price for the ride.

I don't recall seeing information like this posted anywhere but maybe I missed it. Has anyone else experienced this or were we just pull a total rookie mistake?

Sounds about right. We booked private transport. Our driver had to use his car (he did explain why). He said that the company had to pay a fee to drop off/pick up. Not sure if they got a sticker or card or something so that the port knew who had paid. He said we should pay him before we got to the port & if asked he was a friend dropping us off. No one asked though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter