Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you- Part 2

The problem is that lunch at Cabanas tends to be very crowded until 1:30pm when people go to their rooms. We have decided to go with the late arrival plan next time as well. I know that it will work for us.

Of course one of the cruise secrets that has not been mentioned is that there is also lunch offered at Enchanted Garden/Cariocas/Tiana's Place. And that it is usually less crowded there and you get a server to bring you your drinks and an assigned table.

It is almost empty, especially outside, if you board early (we boarded around 11:45) and go straight to lunch. It has been this way for our past two cruises. This is a photo from last May. Love eating outside by the water.
2016cabanas.jpg

If you park on level 3 of the parking garage at PC, there is a walkway right over to the terminal. No hassles of the elevator or escalator.

Buy the drink of the day in the souvenir cup the first day and have it refilled at almost half price the rest of the cruise.

If you are looking for a quite spot, or a great view of docking in port (my son loves to watch all the activity), on the Dream or Fantasy, visit deck 4.

Bring magnets to decorate your door, not only is it cute, but makes finding you room a little easier

If you are in the stateroom halls and forget if you are going forward or aft, look at the carpet. If the map is right side up, you are going forward. If you forget if you are on the starboard or port side, look beside the doors. If there is a seahorse, you are starboard, if there is a fish, you are port.

You can request a table by the window in the dining rooms. We do this through our TA, but I am sure you can do it directly through DCL.

There is a breakfast room service menu in the top drawer of the desk. Fill it out and hang on your door before you go to bed, and hot fresh coffee will be delivered in the morning. We love to do this so we have it while we are getting ready. It also taste better than what is on deck 11.

It is almost empty, especially outside, if you board early (we boarded around 11:45) and go straight to lunch. It has been this way for our past two cruises. This is a photo from last May. Love eating outside by the water.
View attachment 221672

The BEST feeling is boarding and eating lunch like that! The start of the cruise has officially begun, at that point! :sail:

If you park on level 3 of the parking garage at PC, there is a walkway right over to the terminal. No hassles of the elevator or escalator.

Buy the drink of the day in the souvenir cup the first day and have it refilled at almost half price the rest of the cruise.

If you are looking for a quite spot, or a great view of docking in port (my son loves to watch all the activity), on the Dream or Fantasy, visit deck 4.

Bring magnets to decorate your door, not only is it cute, but makes finding you room a little easier

If you are in the stateroom halls and forget if you are going forward or aft, look at the carpet. If the map is right side up, you are going forward. If you forget if you are on the starboard or port side, look beside the doors. If there is a seahorse, you are starboard, if there is a fish, you are port.

You can request a table by the window in the dining rooms. We do this through our TA, but I am sure you can do it directly through DCL.

There is a breakfast room service menu in the top drawer of the desk. Fill it out and hang on your door before you go to bed, and hot fresh coffee will be delivered in the morning. We love to do this so we have it while we are getting ready. It also taste better than what is on deck 11.
For the "Buy the drink of the day in the souvenir cup the first day and have it refilled at almost half price the rest of the cruise."... how does that work? And is it only for alcoholic drinks? Thanks!

Never driven / parked yet. Sorry if this is obvious: do the porters get your bags before you park? Is there presumably a separate 3rd floor security check?

Great tips! I'm requesting to dining by the window! And planning on fresh coffee delivery!!!

View attachment 221672
Be careful of the birds when sitting outside. We saw a gentleman put his breakfast down, go back inside to get something and birds totally attacked his food! The man had to start all over again!

For the "Buy the drink of the day in the souvenir cup the first day and have it refilled at almost half price the rest of the cruise."... how does that work? And is it only for alcoholic drinks? Thanks!

We have only done it with the alcoholic drink of the day, but they do have a non-alcoholic drink of the day, so you could ask. The souvenir cup ran around $9.75 and refills were around $5.00. I bought one the first day, and then washed it in my room and then have it refilled. You can buy it at the lower price in a smaller cup, but you get more in the souvenir cup, so its a better deal.

Never driven / parked yet. Sorry if this is obvious: do the porters get your bags before you park? Is there presumably a separate 3rd floor security check?

Yes, when you arrive, before the garage, you will pull to the curve and the porters take your check bags. You then proceed to the pay station and then into the garage. Yes, there is a separate security up on the 3rd floor.

Yes, when you arrive, before the garage, you will pull to the curve and the porters take your check bags. You then proceed to the pay station and then into the garage. Yes, there is a separate security up on the 3rd floor.

Anyone know if this is the same procedure at port of NYC?

Anyone know if this is the same procedure at port of NYC?

Yes.

I have not sailed on DCL out of NYC, but with NCL a few times, and it is the same type of setup. Drop your bags with porters, then park your car. You can park for cheaper outside of the port, either around the area or for even cheaper over in Jersey for like $10/day. I don't feel the money saved is worth the hassle of the other options, but then again, being from NY, $40 per day for parking is not expensive to me. *sigh*

Also, a tip for driving to the NYC port. DON'T try to enter the port via the West Side Highway. There is such a backup from all the cruise traffic & a super slow turning lane traffic light. Especially, expensive if you're in a cab- that meter will skyrocket quick. You're much better off getting off of the West Side Highway (12th Ave) before the port, drive on 11th or 10th Ave and then turn onto 55th Street- it leads directly into the pier. (For those taking a cab, ask the driver to enter via 55th. They'll know what you mean & realize they can't pull one over on you.)

Yes.

I have not sailed on DCL out of NYC, but with NCL a few times, and it is the same type of setup. Drop your bags with porters, then park your car. You can park for cheaper outside of the port, either around the area or for even cheaper over in Jersey for like $10/day. I don't feel the money saved is worth the hassle of the other options, but then again, being from NY, $40 per day for parking is not expensive to me. *sigh*

Also, a tip for driving to the NYC port. DON'T try to enter the port via the West Side Highway. There is such a backup from all the cruise traffic & a super slow turning lane traffic light. Especially, expensive if you're in a cab- that meter will skyrocket quick. You're much better off getting off of the West Side Highway (12th Ave) before the port, drive on 11th or 10th Ave and then turn onto 55th Street- it leads directly into the pier. (For those taking a cab, ask the driver to enter via 55th. They'll know what you mean & realize they can't pull one over on you.)

Great information!! I'll have to save this as we plan to sail out of NYC on our next trip to save airfare!!

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

My children especially my 5 yr old is a picky eater. On Embarkment day, we always head down to the MDR for lunch where we can get her favorite meal:Macaroni and Cheese and a Cheeseburger for lunch. My 5 yr old won't eat anything in the buffet so the staff bring her a plate filled with Mac n cheese.

We decided to go to the MDR this time around. The Garden one on the Dream. Saw a lot of disappointed kids with that buffet. They were walking around with empty plates because it is not a kid friendly one. You have to ask the server for the mac n cheese. Alot did not know this. More options upstairs for the kids I think.

Even the Buffet for the adults is really much smaller and limited too. We did ok though and liked that the server bring you our drink and took you to a table instead of hunting a table down like up stairs.

But you get to stand in line in an active parking garage with no real designated place to stand unless you're some of the first (be *very* mindful of your kids and the cars that are moving), and there is only one metal detector. I'm honestly surprised Disney hasn't put a stop to people standing in the middle of what is essentially a roadway. I've seen more than one child dart away from their parents as a car was coming. They're excited to be getting on a Disney ship and aren't aware of the dangers oftentimes. It's a huge liability concern.

But you get to stand in line in an active parking garage with no real designated place to stand unless you're some of the first (be *very* mindful of your kids and the cars that are moving), and there is only one metal detector. I'm honestly surprised Disney hasn't put a stop to people standing in the middle of what is essentially a roadway. I've seen more than one child dart away from their parents as a car was coming. They're excited to be getting on a Disney ship and aren't aware of the dangers oftentimes. It's a huge liability concern.

Couldn't agree more.

Are you saying it's better to go in on the ground floor?

Sometimes you don't have a choice they send you up there when you check in at the gate into the building. We have been sent up there twice, it isn't only the people parking in the garage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter