Country Inn & Suites Calypso Way

I tend to think the fact that a guest can eat at either hotel isn't advertised because they don't want a crowd at one or the other. Yes, it would be a good idea to serve the same thing at both hotels.

I've been to Disney several times and still forget that EVERYONE can use their transportation around the parks. I keep thinking that is for the priveledged few who can afford to stay on Disney property. Dazed? Yes!! This sounds pretty dumb, but I got teary eyed when I got my first glimse of Cinderella's Castle and realized that I was here again! I'm 38, but it always feels like it did the first time, when I was 9! Brings out the kid in me! My hubby would grumble about the lines or something and I would stand there with a stupid grin on my face because....I WAS AT DISNEY!!! The Magic Kingdom was my first theme park and will always be my favorite. Hubby is a Universal man though. He thinks they have better rides, etc. He can have Universal....I'll always love Disney!

Faye
If you can find the time would you also send me an email of the KidSuites plans, and what themes they are? I'd really appreciate it; we're going for the first time to WDW in December and the KidSuites sound ideal for my 2 and 4 yr olds! Thanks!
fferret2000@yahoo.com

Hello everyone! I just returned yesterday from a week stay at Calypso Cay and wanted to give my two cents on the property!

I did not stay at the Country Inn & Suites or the Amerisuites on the property, but I did stay at the Runaway Bay Apartments at Calypso Cay and really liked the accomedations. The apartments are right across the street from the two hotels and we could use all the ammenities of either hotel.

My group consisted of myself, hubby, 3 1/2 year old daughter, and my parents. The apartment was a two bedroom/two bath unit with a FULL kitchen, living room with pull out sofa, and laundry room (actually in the apartment). We found it to be very nice and clean and lots of room to stretch out after a long day at the parks. The kitchen was great and we found ourselves fixing a few evening meals just so we would not have to go out every evening. We stocked the fridge with pop, water, and snacks.

The living room had a sofa and chair and tv. The bedrooms had a queen bed and we found it nice to have two seperate bedrooms with a bathroom connected to both ~ gave a little privacy for everyone. The washer/dryer in the room was wonderful. I had not planned on doing any laundry while there, but it was so convient I did ~ and one nice thing about it NO DIRTY LAUNDRY TO WASH WHEN I GOT HOME! The only down side was that there is no daily maid service but since we were not in the room too much it stayed clean. And every other day there seemed to be a cart in the breezeway with clean towels.

I am not a timeshare owner just a regular renter. As a matter of fact I originally had ressies at the Hawthorn Suites LBV but after reading so much about this property I made last minute changes and booked the two bed/two bath apartment for the same price as the one bed suite at the Hawthorn. When I originally called I was quoted a price that required me to attend a time share presentation, after explaining that I would not have the time for a presentation, I was quoted another slightly higher price but it was well worth it!

We took advantage of the daily breakfast. We just had to walk across the street which was not busy. We only ate at the Amerisuites breakfast because it was open later and found that it filled us up for a day in the parks. Also, there was always coffee in either lobby and in the afternoon there was cookies in the lobby at the Country Inn & Suites.

The pool area was not as large as I thought it would be but we found it never to be crowded and our 3 1/2 year old loved the small water slide. There were always towels available poolside. The complimentary miniture golf was fun and they had a nice play area that my child loved.

The hotels are not that far apart. The main pool with the waterslide is right in the middle of the property and then there were two regular pools on each side by they hotels.

We had a rental car so we did not take advantage of the shuttle. With a 3 1/2 year old we wanted the flexablity to come and go as we pleased. And remember parking is $6/day at the Disney parks but as long as you keep your receipt you only pay once a day!

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to let everyone know my experience at Calypso Cay. If you have any questions just ask and I will respond!!!

THANKS FOR THAT WONDERFUL REVIEW!!! We've got friends staying there in the future and yours is one of the VERY FEW reviews I've ever found.

CHILDSDREAM, If you don't mind me asking, how much do the apartments run? Any good deals...like if I will take the timeshare tour? I haven't seen too much about their prices. Also, who did you contact about renting? :smooth:

I think the price they quoted me for the week with the tour was around $423 and around $525 without the tour!

I just called the phone number on the Calypso Cay web site to reserve. I just pulled up their website and it looks like on the home page it has a link saying that they updated the Runaway Bay page. Click on it and it shows pictures of the pool located at the apartments (never used this one because the 3 1/2 year old liked the water slide), fitness center, and interior pictures. It also list some the amenties that I did not even know about during our visit! At the top of the page it shows the unit that we stayed in (the landscaping is now done) and the road that runs in front of it is what you cross to get to the hotels and the pool with the slide is right there!

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Hi: Thanks for the info on runwaybay.

Did they have a balcony or porch, how high a building is it. We were at the amerisuites and I did not notice it, I did notice the building in between the country inn and suites and amerisuites. lol.

Deb.

The building that we were in was a three story building. Some of the units had porches but the particular one we had did not. The Runaway Bay Apartments were directly across the street from the pool with the slide. The buildings between the two hotels I think are the villas. If you go to the Calypso Cay web site there is a link on the home page that gives more info on the Runaway Bay Apartments.

Thanks you so much for your post. We are staying there in August also for a week at the same rate as you, no time-share presention either. Did anyone bug you when you were at breakfast to go to the presentation? I thought one of the bedrooms had two beds. Do they both just have one? Were the beds comfy and do they give you enough pillow, blankets ect? We will be using the pull-out if there is only one bed in each bedroom so did you try the sofa sleeper at all?Worried about bedding for the sofa. How far of a walk is it to the water park and breakfast? What restuarants are close by and how long did it take you to get to the parks?Is there parking close by the apartments? Also is there a good building or apartment to request(if you can) now that you know the layout?Sorry so many questions but am so excited to hear of someone who sayed at Runaway Bay! Also, do you need to bring paper towels, garbage bags or dish soap and was there a hair dryer in the bathrooms?

No one bothered us for a presentation. I did receive a phone call one morning letting me know that my presentation was scheduled for that day but I simply explained to them that I paid the additional so I would not have to attend and they apoligized and that was the end of that!

The apartment that we stayed in had one queen bed in each room. The beds were comfortable and I believe each bed had 4 pillows, so there is enough for the sofa bed. There was only one extra blanket in the closet and no sheets for the sofa bed but I am sure that when you check in you can request them at the welcome center and they would get them for you. Sorry, did not use the sofa bed ~ our 3 1/2 year old decided to sleep on the floor next to our bed.

The walk to the pool with a slide and to the hotels for breakfast is very short. They have just put some updated info on the Calypso Cay web site home page about the Runaway Bay Apartments. Select the link on the home page and you will see a picture of the unit that we stayed in and there is a road running in front of it, that is the road you cross and the pool is right there and the hotels would be to the left and right of the pool.

There are several resturants located near (really not within walking distance) - Burger King, Taco Bell, Bob Evans, etc. It is only a few blocks from 192 and there are lots of places to eat. There is a Publix grocery store right down the road, but we went a few miles down 192 to Walmart. We took two different ways to the parks (192 and 417) and I would say it took no more than 10 minutes and we were in the parking lot.

There is parking available right outside the apartments. The buildings are 3 story and there were no elevators that we saw, so if you have anyone unable to handle stairs it might be a problem unless you request a ground floor apartment. All the units looked brand new and in the evenings, there is a security gate that remains closed and they will provide you with a pass code.

The only things that were provided in our unit were the utensils (silverware, plates, bowels, cups), skillet, two pans, a handtowel in the kitchen, and towels/washclothes in the bathroom. We purchased paper towels, dish soap, and you might want to buy trash bags (we used the Walmart bags!).

There were hairdryers at the welcome center that you can borrow but they are on first come first serve basis so I just brought my own. Our unit also had a ironing board & iron.

Once again, I know that this is long but hopefully informative. I hope you enjoy your stay at the Runaway Bay Apartments - we sure did!!!

I need to recommend that everyone check their rates, at least at the Amerisuites. I booked back in June for $43.80 per night with the Entertainment card and I called back today to add a night and when I confirmed the rate, the agent said it was $65.40. I spoke to her manager and she would not honor the $43.80 stating the agent who offered it to me was mistaken. Just a heads up.

Mike :confused:

I have a written confirmation of my rate. They better honor it!!!

Mike what month were you ressies......I tried to get a discounted rate for March but it was 100 a night still with entertainment card.....

They are in August this year, next week actually. The thing that gets me is that I have it written down that she quoted me $43.80 per night, the agent even totalled it for me to $196 and change after taxes. I sent Faye Goldberg an email and I am hoping she can do something.

Mike

Faye Goldberg called me this morning and took care of my rate problem. I can't thank her enough !!!!

Mike :)

HI

I just wanted to post that I got a $39.50 p.n entertainment rate at Country Inn &Suites Calypso Cay for the end of Sept - beginning of Oct.
And the same rate again for 19-22 OCT ....

Seems like a very good rate!

thanks

leslie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter