Could we have fit any more into one weekend?? An Oct. 2014 TR update 4/5/15

The hag is SUPER creepy! I bet you were glad to be dressed as Belle instead of Snow White!

Gaston always appears to be such a hoot! I've got to meet him during my upcoming trip! ::yes::

I'm glad you were able to see Hallowishes and the Boo to You parade! The Haunted Mansion merchandise is also pretty cool.

That's a great picture of you in front of the castle on your way out! :thumbsup2

The hag is SUPER creepy! I bet you were glad to be dressed as Belle instead of Snow White!

Gaston always appears to be such a hoot! I've got to meet him during my upcoming trip! ::yes::

I'm glad you were able to see Hallowishes and the Boo to You parade! The Haunted Mansion merchandise is also pretty cool.

That's a great picture of you in front of the castle on your way out! :thumbsup2

Yes, I would much rather have Gaston as "my" villain than the hag any day! :rotfl:

I really enjoyed the fireworks and the parade, I think they would make it worth it to go back to MNSSHP again sometime in the future.

Thank you!

Magic Kingdom Scavenger Hunt

Saturday was the day of the 10 miler, but that wasn't until 10pm. So I was going to try and take it relatively easy but still have some fun! I slept in for a little bit and then headed into the Magic Kingdom around 10am. We had a scavenger hunt planned for 11, so in the meantime I had made a couple of fastpasses that I could use. First stop was to meet Mickey in town hall - especially now that he talks, I wanted to go see him! I was very curious to see what that was like. And I guess the talking is cool, but somehow it felt a little awkward to me. It's always great to meet Mickey though!

I had about half an hour before my next fastpass, so I grabbed some Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards and played that for a bit. At 10:50 I had a FP+ for Mine Train again. I decided this time I would have my camera out to get some on-ride pictures. The weird thing was when I was boarding the ride one of the CM's was distracted by a baby swap, so even though the standby line was super long they didn't have time to load people and the entire car in front of me was empty (as you can see in the pics).

I made it off the ride and back to Main Street just in time for the scavenger hunt. One of the girls had organized it, so the rest of us formed into teams of about 5 people per team. It was a lot of fun! The way it worked was that each land had a list of things that we had to find and then take a picture of. There were also 6 pics that could come from anywhere in the park and had to have everyone on the team in them - things like "a picture of your team with a CM". We ran around the park trying to get pictures of all of the things on the list. One of the items was a photo with your "Favorite Disney treat," so I volunteered to buy a citrus swirl - which also ended up being my lunch!

Our team taking a picture on Main Street:

The hunt only took us about half an hour, and my team won! There was no actual prize, it was all just for fun, but we got the glory! ;) And a selfie with the girl (icecoldpenguin) who created the hunt!

Since we wanted to be off our feet before the race, we headed back to the room to relax. The other girls went and sat by the pool, but I knew if I wanted to make it up late I would need a nap, so I slept from about 1:00-3:30. This turned out to be a very good idea! The others came back to the room and made pasta around 3, but I had a dinner reservation at 5, so I just had some garlic bread to hold me over. I was supposed to have dinner with one of my other friends but she wasn't feeling well and needed to rest, so I headed to The Grand Floridian Cafe by myself.

My server was very sweet - I've always had very good service when I'm on my own. The reservation was under my friend's name, so when they called "Stephanie" I didn't realize at first they were talking to me, since it wasn't my natural reaction to answer. So I explained the situation, and my server called me "friend of Stephanie" for the rest of the evening ;) I had the pasta dish here, and it was honestly incredible. One of the best pasta dishes I've ever had, and I absolutely love pasta! I ate a lot of bread and about half the pasta, and took the rest back with me to the room. It was time to get ready for the Tower of Terror 10 miler!

I'm way behind, but I'm still reading! It looks like you had a lot of fun with the scavenger hunt and it seems to have gone better than some of your earlier group events :) Good for you for going to eat alone, I'm going to check out the menu description of that pasta!

It sounds like you had a nice morning in MK. A scavenger hunt - what fun!

I love breakfast at the Grand Floridian Café, but I should really try it sometime for lunch or dinner. I'm glad you enjoyed your pasta (once you figured out that "Stephanie" was you!).

I am slightly jealous that I have planned to go in November because I really want to go to MNSSHP. The scavenger hunt sounds like so much fun!

Oooh I love talking Mickey. It is a little weird at first, but it's kind of a dream fulilled.

Wow, maybe that's why the wait time for Mine Train is always so long... they don't load the whole train, lol.

I absolutely love that idea of the scavenger hunt. How fun.

You and your friends look great at dinner and the Halloween party! I like the picture of you with Gaston, very cute!

That's nuts that they didn't fill the car in front of you on Mine Train....if you just look at your pictures you would think no one wants to go on it!

I LOVE the picture of your group on Main Street during the scavenger hunt. You look SO happy in that picture!

I had the pasta at the Grand Floridian Cafe a week and a half ago! Yum, it was so good! And now tonight, i have to MAKE dinner....sigh....I want to be back in Disney.

I'm way behind, but I'm still reading! It looks like you had a lot of fun with the scavenger hunt and it seems to have gone better than some of your earlier group events :) Good for you for going to eat alone, I'm going to check out the menu description of that pasta!

Thanks! I don't really mind eating by myself, it's kind of fun sometimes :)

Your scavenger hunt sounds like so much fun -- what a great idea!!!

It was a great idea, and so much fun!

It sounds like you had a nice morning in MK. A scavenger hunt - what fun!

I love breakfast at the Grand Floridian Café, but I should really try it sometime for lunch or dinner. I'm glad you enjoyed your pasta (once you figured out that "Stephanie" was you!).

I adored the pasta at GFC, but I really want to go back so I can try that burger with the lobster on top!

I am slightly jealous that I have planned to go in November because I really want to go to MNSSHP. The scavenger hunt sounds like so much fun!

Well if you get to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party that's a lot of fun too!

You and your friends look great at dinner and the Halloween party! I like the picture of you with Gaston, very cute!

That's nuts that they didn't fill the car in front of you on Mine Train....if you just look at your pictures you would think no one wants to go on it!

I LOVE the picture of your group on Main Street during the scavenger hunt. You look SO happy in that picture!

I had the pasta at the Grand Floridian Cafe a week and a half ago! Yum, it was so good! And now tonight, i have to MAKE dinner....sigh....I want to be back in Disney.

Thanks! I love getting dressed up :)

I know, given how crowded it was I couldn't believe they didn't fill the car. That definitely shouldn't have happened.

I really like that picture too - it really captured the happy chaos of the event!

Ugh, I wish I could have that pasta right now! I need to find a recipe for it... if I have to cook dinner myself at least it could taste as good as Disney!

Tower of Terror 10 miler

So once I got back to my room, we all got into our costumes and made our way to the bus for the race! For this race they only had buses running from certain hotels, and the Grand was not one of them. However, the Poly was, so we took the walking path over to the Poly to grab the bus there. On our walk we found a photopass photographer! I guess he must have been there from the Spirit of Aloha show, but he was very happy to take some pics for us. So we got some pics in our costumes on the beach!
photo33.jpg

We got one of the first buses, and we arrived at the race very early. We ended up spending a lot of time just sitting around hanging out. The girls had brought some goldfish and I munched on some, which I later regretted - I didn't like how they felt in my tummy while I was running! Lesson learned. We also met up with some of the other girls running, most of which were part of our "Alice in Wonderland" theme!

P1110201_zps172571cd.jpg

IMG_20141004_195209424.jpg

Finally we checked our bag, used the port-o-potties, and made our way to the corrals (I was in E). The race started with fireworks, which is such a fun way to start a race!

IMG_20141004_220011882.jpg

It was a really great race for me. The weather was perfect. While the course may not have been as interesting as one that ran through the parks more, I enjoyed the nighttime atmosphere and they made it fun along the way. Such as this Twilight Zone themed section in the beginning:

IMG_20141004_221110245.jpg

There were maybe 10 character stops along the way, most of them villains. I stopped for 2: the Queen of Hearts (a must with my Alice costume!) and Dr. Facilier. Both times I waited maybe 3-4 minutes, so that got added on to my time, but the pics are very fun with characters you don't meet very often!

IMG_20141004_224839785.jpg

P1110206_zps74baffc9.jpg

Here I am at mile 9: almost there!

P1110209_zps14fe8dba.jpg

Some "action shots":

tot1.jpg tot7.jpg

I finished in 1 hour, 55 minutes, and 56 seconds. My goal was to be under 2 hours so it was a success! I had a pace of 11:36, which was much better than I was expecting, especially give that I stopped for characters twice! My best pace at home had been 11:34 and that was without any characters around, so I was pretty amazed and pleased with the turnout. I think a lot had to do with the absolutely perfect weather.

IMG_20141005_025413.jpg

I got my medal, a water bottle, and my snack pack and made my way into Hollywood Studios to sit down and eat a little bit. HS was open until 3:30, and I finished around midnight, so it was time to enjoy the Villains Bash! I had no idea what to expect - I wasn't told what rides would be open, what characters there were, etc. (apparently the people/spectators that paid to get in were given a map with info. I wish they had that where the runners finished!). I found some characters over by the hat and waited to meet Cruella deVil. She was absolutely hilarious! Just really into her part. She was offended that I was a "good guy" and tried to cover me up in our pic!

P1110218_zpsf4d728c3.jpg

Then I decided to try and find my friends that had come to watch and had gotten into HS at 10pm. This took a decent amount of time. I finally met up with the girls who didn't run, but by this time it was almost 1 and they were tired and ready to head out. Then the girls that finished after me were done, but a lot of them hadn't trained for the race at all and they were so tired and sore that they just wanted to head back to the room (lesson: training pays off, especially if you want to enjoy the parks after your run!). One girl and her husband were still ready to go, so we made our way over to Rockin Roller Coaster... where it was a 75 minute wait. It had been 15 minutes when I finished running, but by this time all of the runners were done and the park was really crowded. I kinda wish I had done some rides on my own instead of trying to find other people that were ultimately leaving anyway, but oh well. So we skipped RnRC and did Star Tours instead, which had a much shorter wait.

That was fun, and then we decided to wait to meet Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers. Ahead of us in line was an adorable baby dressed up as Darth Vader, and his interaction was hilarious. His dad was holding him and the baby kept trying to push all of the buttons on Darth Vader's costume. Everyone in line loved him and cheered for their interaction.

P1110219_zps759b18d9.jpg

And then I got my picture!

P1110221_zpsf47ee282.jpg

By now it was almost 3 am and I was ready to head back to the room. I had a really good time with my one friend and her husband that stuck around, they were a lot of fun! Back in the room I re-heated my leftover pasta from dinner, ate that, and then went to bed. Adrenaline kept me up a little bit, but a little after 4:00 I was finally asleep. I was very excited to hit up food and wine the next day, but was not expecting what happened instead! (oooh, cliffhanger!).

I LOVE your costumes! What an excellent theme idea! :love:

It sound like the right call to stop for a few characters - especially since they're rare!

Your picture with Cruella is FANTASTIC! She looks nuts! (Which she is! :laughing:)

That's too bad that many of your friends were worn out by the race. Training really does make a difference! :crutches: I'm glad you had a few friends that were willing and able to stay!

Those costumes are fantastic Becky!!! Of course, I especially love that there is an overall theme.

Always fun to meet unique characters. Plus, what great backdrops for them to.

Those costumes are fantastic Becky!!! Of course, I especially love that there is an overall theme.

Always fun to meet unique characters. Plus, what great backdrops for them to.

Thanks! I have some ideas for couple costumes I really want to do so I'm trying to convince DH to at least do a 5k with me at Disney ;)
I LOVE your costumes! What an excellent theme idea! :love:

It sound like the right call to stop for a few characters - especially since they're rare!

Your picture with Cruella is FANTASTIC! She looks nuts! (Which she is! :laughing:)

That's too bad that many of your friends were worn out by the race. Training really does make a difference! :crutches: I'm glad you had a few friends that were willing and able to stay!

Yes, I figure if I'm paying all that money to run at Disney I might as well stop for a few characters! No other place you can do that!

Cruella was crazy! And hilarious.

This and your last trip report almost make me want to take up running-- almost. :rotfl2:

It looks like you've had a fantastic time. I love all the costumes! And, seeing your food at F&W-- yum!

Ok now I'm alllllllllllllll caught up. Your pictures make me so sad they canceled the ToT for 2015 - we were going to do it, since our APs expire 10/9 too! Ugh. Stupid Run Disney

I love your solo day at MK and your meal at 1900 - that food does look really good, especially for a character meal! It stinks that you lost out on an hour on MNSSHP, but I'm glad you still got a lot out of the party, including the parade and fireworks. If you make it down during MNSSHP again, try the pumpkin spiced waffle, it's my favorite!

You did such a great job on the race! I love readin your race training on the blog (this and PHM) but it is a bummer that you didn't get to enjoy the after party as much.

What is this cliffhanger?! you've got me on pins and needles!

This and your last trip report almost make me want to take up running-- almost. :rotfl2:

It looks like you've had a fantastic time. I love all the costumes! And, seeing your food at F&W-- yum!

Haha I have to say, running at Disney is the absolute best place to run! They truly make it magical.

Ok now I'm alllllllllllllll caught up. Your pictures make me so sad they canceled the ToT for 2015 - we were going to do it, since our APs expire 10/9 too! Ugh. Stupid Run Disney

I love your solo day at MK and your meal at 1900 - that food does look really good, especially for a character meal! It stinks that you lost out on an hour on MNSSHP, but I'm glad you still got a lot out of the party, including the parade and fireworks. If you make it down during MNSSHP again, try the pumpkin spiced waffle, it's my favorite!

You did such a great job on the race! I love readin your race training on the blog (this and PHM) but it is a bummer that you didn't get to enjoy the after party as much.

What is this cliffhanger?! you've got me on pins and needles!

Awww, I'm sorry you can't do ToT! I really hope they bring it back because it's a cool race.

Pumpkin Spiced Waffle sounds great, and a lot better than that ghost cupcake!

Thank you! At least if they bring ToT back I will be better prepared for the after party!

The Worst Way to Start a Day!

So I just got back from this year's Princess Half Marathon weekend - sorry to leave you in suspense! But now it's time to update the TR from the cliffhanger I left off on. If you'll recall, I got back to the room late after the race and after party, and fell asleep probably around 4 o'clock or so. I was planning to sleep until about 11 and then go up and check out the Food and Wine festival in Epcot.

Well, I woke up at 8 o'clock the next morning just feeling super hungry, and I had to pee from all the water I drank during the race. I ate a couple of bites of a Clif bar and tried to go back to sleep, but I just started feeling worse. I'd only had about 4 hours of sleep so I could feel it, but my stomach was churning and I couldn't get back to sleep despite how desperately my body clearly wanted to. The longer I laid there the more nauseous I felt and my nerves were starting to go haywire, like I was having a panic attack too. I honestly can't describe what was going on because it's like nothing I've experienced before. I kept going from super cold to super hot. Have you ever felt sick and stay in the bathroom and lay down on the cold tile and it just feels so good because you're so warm? I would experience that, and then ten minutes later be shivering.

It was absolutely miserable, but my friends that I was staying with were amazing. One of them found me in the bathroom while I was overheating and put cold cloths on my forehead. Another sat with me and talked me through it. But I just wasn't getting better and I couldn't stop shaking, so finally we called the paramedics. They took my blood pressure and all and said everything was fine. He was pretty sure that it was dehydration. I had a lot of water during the race so I find it really hard to believe, but I guess it's possible. There wasn't much they could do (except make inappropriate jokes about Ebola!) so they left and it still took awhile to get better. My friends took such good care of me, but they finally left around 10:00 for Epcot. My nerves were the worst so I took a hot bath to calm down which seemed to help, and I called my DH on the phone and talked to him for awhile. Finally around 11:30 I fell asleep and woke up again around 2.

When I woke up again, I felt so much better. I still wasn't 100%, but at least at 85%. I drank plenty of water and felt well enough to go out in the theme parks. It was going to take a lot more than that to stop me from getting to Food and Wine!

photo34.jpg

Food and Wine Time

I hopped on the monorail and made my way over to Epcot. I met up with my roommates, but they were actually planning to leave - they were still pretty sore from the night before and wanted to spend some time by the pool. I was starving by this point so I decided to try some of the food booths on my own. I knew other girls from the meet up weekend were planning to be in Epcot, so I thought I would try to find them or run into them at some point!

The first booth I stopped at my Terra, which is I believe supposed to be organic/vegan/vegetarian type stuff. I tried the fresh watermelon juice:

This was delicious! It was so refreshing and just what I needed. It has such a sweet, pure watermelon taste. But I still needed actual food, so I made my way to China. Here I got the black pepper shrimp and noodles:

The flavors were good, but it was a weird lukewarm sort of temperature when I got it. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be served hot or cold. I also went across the way and got black raspberry wine and a pork lettuce wrap from South Korea:

These were both really good. The black raspberry wine wasn't as sweet as I was expecting, but it had a nice richness to it. And the lettuce wrap was the perfect snack for the warmer weather because it was light but full of flavor! And don't worry - I know I was recovering from what we expected was dehydration, but the alcohol portions are very small, and I drank a TON of water throughout the day. I sat on a bench in China to eat, and while I was there the acrobats were putting on their show so I watched for a bit. They are definitely incredible!

I had missed two of my fastpasses for the day. Including Maelstrom, and it was the last day it was open, so not surprisingly the wait was almost two hours! I did however have a FP+ for Soarin', so I went to ride that. Every time I go on it I think I love it even more. It's just such a great experience. I headed back into the World Showcase since my main objective was Food and Wine, this time going to France. I got the escargot and passion martini slush:

I'm glad I tried the escargot, as it was different, but I wasn't crazy about it. The slush was good but so far nothing lives up to the Grand Marnier one for me! It was here that I also ran into another group of girls from the meet up, who were also eating around the World! They were headed in the same direction, so I joined them. Next we stopped at Brazil and Belgium. Since I had already visited Belgium on Thursday, I hit up Brazil to get the tilapia and cheese bread. I really liked the cheese bread, though others in our party didn't care for it. And the tilapia was good.

We also went to Hops and Barley, where I tried a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat beer:

It sounded promising, but I was not impressed. It had a weird after taste.

I still really wanted to do Maelstrom since it was my last chance ever, so I sucked it up and decided to wait. The others had all done it with their FP+ earlier in the day, but to my surprise one of them came with me to keep me company!

We waited over an hour, but it was worth it. I got to enjoy Malestrom one last time, and I spent the wait talking with a good friend, so it was really a success overall!

We had gotten special wristbands from the Chase Lounge to watch Illuminations from a private area, so we headed to Italy for that. It was a nice view and so awesome not to fight hte crows for a spot. Plus a big group of girls were there!

All in all the day started out rough, but it ended well and I was thankfully still able to do Food and Wine, which I was really looking forward to. Plus, since my flight the next day didn't leave until late in the evening, I had almost a full Disney day left!

The Worst Way to Start a Day!

Well, I woke up at 8 o'clock the next morning just feeling super hungry, and I had to pee from all the water I drank during the race. I ate a couple of bites of a Clif bar and tried to go back to sleep, but I just started feeling worse. I'd only had about 4 hours of sleep so I could feel it, but my stomach was churning and I couldn't get back to sleep despite how desperately my body clearly wanted to. The longer I laid there the more nauseous I felt and my nerves were starting to go haywire, like I was having a panic attack too. I honestly can't describe what was going on because it's like nothing I've experienced before. I kept going from super cold to super hot. Have you ever felt sick and stay in the bathroom and lay down on the cold tile and it just feels so good because you're so warm? I would experience that, and then ten minutes later be shivering.

I think I pretty much experienced the same thing while trying to go to sleep at Tower of Terror and when my body woke up at 4AM. This was also my first real long run. I later figured out it was more electrolyte issues than water issues. I had to change the way I fuel during a race to have it not occur again (which my coworkers believe I fuel too much but I've now ran Rebel Challenge & Glass Slipper Challenge without this type of freak out so I'm going to stick to what works for me)

Sorry you had to go through that!

Seems like you enjoyed your way around the Food Booths!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter