Commute to work

I take a commuter train with a 20-30 minute ride with a short walk on either end so about 40-45 minutes in total. It's not so bad since my train is generally express and I don't have to drive to the train stations or take another form of transportation to my office.

my commute is approximately 30 seconds.. longer if I grab a cup of coffee (I work from home). MY wife on the other hand drives 45 to 60 minutes each way.. :(

Currently a little under 5 minutes each way, which has been wonderful. However, I'm moving/changing jobs soon and it'll jump to 1.5 hours each way.. I don't think I've properly mentally prepared myself yet.

I've had the 45-1 hour commute. It sucked. I even worked 7-4 and traffic was still bad in the evening. I then moved to another company and had a 10 minute commute. It was short enough where I could go home for lunch. Loved the commute, hated the job. Now I have a 20-30 minute commute. It's doable. I work 7:30-4:30 so I avoid some traffic.
I say stick with the short commute especially if you decide to have kids.

An hour and 15 minutes on average but it can be as short as an hour or as long as two depending on the day. I take multiple modes of public transportation so it varies a lot based on delays there.

My commute us about 70 minutes each way on the train, but I'm quite fond of it. I've made friends with fellow passengers and with the train crew. I usually work from home one day a week.

I listen to a Playlist in the morning and an audiobook on the way home. Sometimes I read threads on the Dis, other times I chat with people, and sometimes I just close my eyes and decompress. I'm sure things would be different if I had children, but right now it's just my DH and 3 cats. The salaries in the city are significantly higher so that helps as well.

I don't have a car so I carpool with my mum. The drive is about 15 minutes and then if we don't pay for parking ($5.80 for the day so we try only do it once or twice a week) it's a 10 minute walk. I then have another 20-25 minute walk to my work (it would only be 5 minutes by tram), which I actually enjoy and don't really consider part of my 'commute'.

On average, about 30 minutes each way. But if there is bad weather or an accident tack on another half hour or so.

I currently live 10 minutes from my office going there - getting home takes about twice as long due to local traffic patterns. I also work out on a number of different job-sites; several of them take more than an hour to get to in peak traffic.

My commute is only about 15 minutes but it takes me a good 10 minutes to park in the parking garage. It's a busy hospital so lots of traffic with patients and employees. I start at 8 am so lots of 7p-7a nurses leaving when I arrive. I leave my house at 730 to be in my office on time. Sometimes 725.

Retired, no commute for me. My wife had a 20 minute drive to work, but a week ago she got a ticket for 69 in a 55, so she's slowed down and now it is a 27 minute commute for her.

A previous employer moved to a new city that had Federal grant money and a computer program to match people to carpool or ride public transit. We were the first company with over 100 employees that they could not find one carpool match for, and 2/3 of our staff had work schedules that started or ended before or after public transit operated. We also got flagged for having the longest average commute at 30 miles.

At my current job, there are a handful of people who commute over 60 miles each way. In all of those cases they live in a city half way between where they work, and where their spouse works. That works out to 60,000 miles a year commuting between the two of them!

About 10 years ago (for about 7 years)my commute was about 45 min. When I was laid off I vowed to find a job closer to my house. So for the last 10 years my commute is only 2 min. My work is just over a mile away. It's been great. But it won't last for much longer. We just merged with another company and they have a building in a town about 25 min away. Rumor has it we will be moving there in January. It was nice while it lasted.

At DH and my last jobs, our commute was about 5 minutes. On a bad weather day closer to 10. We moved away and our commute is now roughly 35 for him, and 45 for me. I really miss our short commute. This is still much better than when we lived just outside of DC and hubby would leave the house by 4am to be at work by 7, and we only lived about 30 miles away max!

Right now my commute is 15 minutes maybe 20 without traffic. My boss has brought up to me about possibly moving me to another hospital, where the surgeons I work for want to set up as their home base. It will extend my commute time to 56 minutes, without traffic. I'm not happy about it, especially since I left the hospital I worked for for 7 years back in January to go with them when they opened up their private practice. My commute to there was 8 minutes tops. I used to work in Center city Philly many years ago, did the commute from my house down I-95S every day, it was always over an hour with traffic, I hated it. If they make me move to this hospital, I will probably look for another job. Traffic stresses me out, extending my work day with a 2+commute it just not worth the time away from my family, to be honest. I know some people don't mind it, but it's a deal breaker for me.

My current commute is 0 since I work from home. At my last f/t job my round trip commute was over an hour per day when school is in session. When I first moved down her, I was commuting 23 miles each way. I hate that and was thrilled to get this remote position (office is about 2 hours south).

I do commute to Disney on the weekends and one of the reasons why I like the 5 am shift is I can drive that 30 mile trip in 35 minutes; its upwards of 45 minutes each way later in the am. And this is on the weekend and mostly highway.

I always drove about 18 miles, but almost all freeway. 30-35 minutes each way. That was for a teaching job. I can't imagine living in the same neighborhood.

Commuting from deep Brooklyn to midtown Manhattan and back every day on a crowded subway where my chances of getting a seat are very slim and I'm standing packed in for 45 minutes to an hour each way is my daily hell.

I hope to be able to move closer to work... one day...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter