Commute to work

About 75 minutes door to door. I take the NYC subway and that includes walking to/from the stations.

Because it's the NYC subway, it's often longer because of delays and random "we're gonna sit here on the track for 5 minutes without any explanation".

When I leave on time, it takes me about 30 minutes to drive to work. If I leave when I am supposed to, may 35 minutes how. But if I leave work a little later, my time in the car easily turns into an hour.

I take a bus to work and it is a 40 minute ride. I hate it. Would love to be 15 min from home., but it is what it is

35 minutes each way, and since I discovered audiobooks I love it! It's 70 minutes a day I have to myself to do nothing but drive and listen with no chores or work to do.

This is what I do except I listen to the Dis podcasts. I only work 2 days a week though. I wouldn't want to be in the same town as I live because I wouldn't want to run in to my patients around town. Dh works 5 minutes from home though so he is close if the kids need him.

About 20 minutes now, but used to be 90 minutes on a good day & up to 3.5 hours in light snow (oddly enough, heavy snow was back down to 90 minutes because traffic was non-existent). 56 miles each way. I'm VERY thankful I no longer have to do that.

Door to door my commute is 60 minutes. So 2 hours every day on the road. My kids are older now but when they were younger it was tough and I would not recommend it. 10 hours a week and then would there would be snow or ice - it was longer. Too much of the last 15 years of my life have been wasted on the road. I long for a 10 minute drive but that isn't in my future.

Every weekday but Wednesday: 20-30 minutes, depending on when I leave
Wednesdays: about 3 seconds, depending how fast I walk from my bedroom to my dining table/makeshift desk

I will only take a job that is close to home. I have the option right now to make a LOT more money if I work downtown, but there is NO WAY I'm going to do that everyday. It would seriously be fun for about a week - taking the train, walking to the office, hitting the lakeshore on my lunch....but frankly, we are in the suburbs on the 10th floor of a 12 story building with a parking garage, and I rarely leave my floor for lunch now because it's kind of a hassle. And I HATE traffic and sitting in it, so there is no way I would drive a long way. At the end of the day, I want to be home as fast as possible. And with kids, I need to be able to get to them in under 20 minutes if I needed to.

DH and I thougth it would be awesome once, when DS16 was 2, to build a house in the country and commute back to the city for work (about an hour in good traffic). I lasted about 5 months - the daycare kept calling me when DS was sick and I couldn't get to him right away - my day didn't end when work was over - it dragged on and on in the car while I sat in traffic losing precious minutes NOT being with my little guy. I quit and took a job at his school so I could be close and see him.

DH has a 40 min commute in good traffic, but traffic is NEVER good. He passes by the 2nd busiest airport in the country everyday and traffic is a nightmare. Any time there is a drop of rain or snow, or during a heavy travel time, his commute extends to 2 hours. He hates it.

I can leave home at 7:40 and be in my chair around 8:05. My commute is even faster if I leave early to get to work around 7.

My fiance drives to another state for work and his commute is about 30 minutes.

To work= about 15 - 20 minutes
From work= about 25 - 45 minutes, depending

I just mapped it on google and it says it's 4.4 miles. It says it should take 14 minutes without traffic.

Last edited:
I commute from Long Island to Manhattan. I leave at 6:30 to drive to the train station, arrive at Penn Station at 7:30, and then after walking/taking the subway, I arrive at my job at 8:10. It's a bit soul crushing, but it is what it is.

On a typical morning, anywhere from 15-20 minutes. It's spectacular, considering former commutes of mine have been 1 hr 15 minutes (driving 25 miles) and 1 hr 50 minutes (2 minute drive to train station, 1 hr 15 minutes on train, about 30 minutes walking to the subway/taking the subway). Both commutes were terrible in their own ways, and I began and ended each day beyond exhausted.
A short commute is definitely high on my list of job priorities now, and I consider short up to 30 minutes. I would only go back to having a long commute if there was a definite end in sight (i.e. I knew I'd be relocating or taking a new job).

Currently an hour and 45 minutes each way. That's getting driven to the train by DH, commuter rail to NYC and walk to the office. I work from home one day a week but hoping that changes next year when my office moves to NJ. That will add another 45 minutes+ each way putting me at over 5 hours a day then. It's bad enough now at almost 3 1/2 hours a day. It will be insane to add to that. If we don't come to an agreement, I'll be thinking about retiring a year earlier than planned.

13 miles. Takes 12-15 minutes going to work, but I go to work at 2:45 am, and in California they tend to do all the freeway work overnight, so there have been times it took 30 minutes due to road construction. And it depends on the traffic lights the last 6 blocks. If I time them right, that 6 blocks takes a minute, if I hit them all red, it can take 6 minutes.

30 to 35 minutes coming home at 11:30 am due to traffic.

I'm a teacher.

If I were to leave now, with school not in session, it could take as little as 12 minutes.

On a typical school morning, it's about 20.

Between 30 to 40 minutes one way, depends on traffic and if I drive speed limit or above. My honey works from home so no commute for him (lucky dog).

My commute is four blocks to campus, about another two blocks to my office. I can walk it in 20 minutes or so, bike in 10, and drive in 2 minutes. Right now I usually drive, because I have to be home to get my kids off the bus and I can work another 15 minutes if I drive. But in the summer I ride my bike or walk.

Mine was about 15 minutes and traffic really wasn't an issue where we live, so it was pretty consistent.

I work at home now, and I love it. In the past, it's been as far as 27 miles, in normal weekday traffic, that was 35-45 minutes, in major rush hour 45-60 and in snow, there was no time limit.
My dh drives 37 miles. He makes it home in roughly an hour, sometimes a bit longer in the summer with road construction. He hates it!

My commute is 18 miles which equals about 45 minutes in usual traffic. It's not so bad until I have to occasionally be back at work in the evening for a meeting or event. Then it's annoying because I have to either drive all the way home to freshen up and drive all the way back again.... Or just hang out there a few extra hours which I HATE doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter